Jets’ Revis Turns Himself in to Police

JetNation

IMG_0541-2.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

Following a widely reported street altercation that reportedly left two men temporarily unconscious, one of which suffered an orbital fracture, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis has turned himself in to Pittsburgh police.

The Jets former superstar cornerback is facing charges for four felonies including robbery, assault, conspiracy and making terroristic threats.

While the case plays out in court, speculation has begun to mount regarding how Revis’ contract situation will play out with a clause that refers to any conduct detrimental to the team, as highlighted here by NFL insider Albert Breer.

Coming off of the worst season of his pro career, the Jets were likely looking to part ways with Revis and may now have the ammunition to recoup the $6 million he was guaranteed for 2017.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
YlU-tv31KQY

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Jet Fan RI said:

The question is, can he be considered to be in breech of contract prior to being found guilty in a court of law? What if he is acquitted?

Guys get suspended for conduct detrimental w/o any conviction of an actual crime.  Being an A-hole in public can be described as reflecting poorly on the club.

17 minutes ago, Jet Fan RI said:

The question is, can he be considered to be in breech of contract prior to being found guilty in a court of law? What if he is acquitted?

If you read the terms of his contract a few posts up, you'll see that it is a gray area, but one certainly does not have to be "convicted" of a crime to be in breach of contract.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Fan RI said:

Right. But what if this is a case of self defense?

If the Jets release Revis AND try to recoup the remaining guaranteed money, that is surely the issue that will wind up in Goodell's lap or in court.  

Either way, I don't care.  It's just time to let the guy go.  He's a major liability on the field.  

It could be argued that getting into the situation in the first place breaches the contract, whatever the outcome of any judicial verdict.

"Conduct that adversely reflects on the club" - could cover a multitude of situations. Key word though is "reasonably" ... invites all sorts of shades of grey into the discussion.

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If the Jets release Revis AND try to recoup the remaining guaranteed money, that is surely the issue that will wind up in Goodell's lap or in court.  

Either way, I don't care.  It's just time to let the guy go.  He's a major liability on the field.  

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

That's it in a nutshell, Dcat. Well said.  The rest of this crap is all a sideshow. 

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

It could be argued that getting into the situation in the first place breaches the contract, whatever the outcome of any judicial verdict.

"Conduct that adversely reflects on the club" - could cover a multitude of situations. Key word though is "reasonably" ... invites all sorts of shades of grey into the discussion.

It could. But if one is assaulted and defends oneself, the argument for what you are saying seems pretty weak. I want to see Revis gone as much as anyone, but I think the actual facts of the case are important.

The entire team sucked in 2017 the entire team was a liability including the coaches and the GM cant blame a player like Revis for everything wrong here. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The entire team sucked in 2017 the entire team was a liability including the coaches and the GM cant blame a player like Revis for everything wrong here. 

I'm not blaming him for "everything" or for anyone else's poor performance.  Just his own.  And it was horrendous to watch.  He was a major contributing cause to the failure of the Jets defense last season.  I never said he was the "only" cause.  Try not to put words in my mouth please. But he sure was a major cause, and the Jets would be insane to pay him $15 million this season.  Cut him now, save the $9 million in cap money, petition the NFL to save the remaining guranteed $6 million and if Revis wins on that issue, so be it.

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm not blaming him for "everything" or anyone else's poor performance.  Just his own.  And it was horrendous to watch.  He was a major contributing cause to the failure of the Jets defense last season.  I never said he was the "only" cause.  But he sure was a major one, and the Jets would be insane to pay him $15 million this season.  Cut him now, save the $9 million in cap money, petition the NFL to save the remaining guranteed $6 million and if Revis wins on that issue, so be it.

So was Ryan Fitzpatrick did you see the defensive schemes Kacy Rodgers was using?  No blame can be directed at any single player if you knew the first thing about reading a defense. Revis did lose a a step but sadly he was our best CB in 2016. Theres more to this picture than laying blame all the time on individual players for Jets failure. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So was Ryan Fitzpatrick did you see the defensive schemes Kacy Rodgers was using?  No blame can be directed at any single player if you knew the first thing about reading a defense. Revis did lose a a step but sadly he was our best CB in 2016. Theres more to this picture than laying blame all the time on individual players for Jets failure. 

you are missing the point (how many times has that phrase been used by posters responding to you BTW?).  This isn't about "blame". It's about wise decision making for 2017and wise use of cap space.

Revis' performance and declining skills make him not worth anything close to $15 million.  Time to cut him regardless of this incident.  Even if he were volunteering his time in a children's hospital instead of brawling on the street at 2:30am, I'd be lobbying to get rid of him.  I'd rather the Jets spend that $9 million in cap elsewhere.

p.s.  I was against signing Fitzpatrick last year as vehemently as you were and I wish Bowles would have let his buddy Rogers go as well. Kacy should have been fired.

you are missing the point (how many times has that phrase been used by posters responding to you BTW?).  This isn't about "blame". It's about wise decision making for 2017and wise use of cap space.

Revis' performance and declining skills make him not worth anything close to $15 million.  Time to cut him regardless of this incident.  Even if he were volunteering his time in a children's hospital instead of brawling on the street at 2:30am, I'd be lobbying to get rid of him.  I'd rather the Jets spend that $9 million in cap elsewhere.

The same can be said about half of the team. 

Im not arguing player hate anymore you guys wore me out on the Geno Smith debacle. 

Lets cut Revis and waste the money elsewhere its what the Jets do or lets draft another bust. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The same can be said about half of the team. 

Im not arguing player hate anymore you guys wore me out on the Geno Smith debacle. 

Lets cut Revis and waste the money elsewhere its what the Jets do or lets draft another bust. 

Spending money on washed up prior talent is NOT what championship caliber teams do.  See NE Patriots.  Spending money on washed up past talent is what makes a team perpetually unsuccessful.  

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Spending money on washed up prior talent is NOT what championship caliber teams do.  See NE Patriots.  Spending money on washed up past talent is what makes a team perpetually unsuccessful.  

Revis isn't washed up talent Revis plays on a poorly coached defense big difference. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Revis isn't washed up talent Revis plays on a poorly coached defense big difference. 

well we will just have to agree to disagree on this claim.  My observations tell me that Revis is slow now.  Very slow.  He hasn't got a fraction of the skills he once had. He fails in one-on-one coverage way too often.  He was never a good fit in any zone scheme to begin with (see his ineffective play as a Tampa Bay Buccaneer in a cover 2 defense), so modifying the defensive scheme to adapt to Revis' declining speed and skills woould be pointless.  His bad play was not caused solely by bad coaching as you imply.  He just doesn't have it any more. 

53 minutes ago, Jet Fan RI said:

It could. But if one is assaulted and defends oneself, the argument for what you are saying seems pretty weak. I want to see Revis gone as much as anyone, but I think the actual facts of the case are important.

Since Revis was probably gone before this incident I don't think it matters. His career is coming to a close. The Jets are so cap stressed choices must be made. They simply don't have the luxury of keeping him on at his contract # and declining skill level. The one thing this incident does is move him to the front of the line to be cut. It's a messed up thing that just happens to true. Sucks but that's life in the NFL. I wish him luck.

36 minutes ago, Dcat said:

well we will just have to agree to disagree on this claim.  My observations tell me that Revis is slow now.  Very slow.  He hasn't got a fraction of the skills he once had. He fails in one-on-one coverage way too often.  He was never a good fit in any zone scheme to begin with (see his ineffective play as a Tampa Bay Buccaneer in a cover 2 defense), so modifying the defensive scheme to adapt to Revis' declining speed and skills woould be pointless.  His bad play was not caused solely by bad coaching as you imply.  He just doesn't have it any more. 

He has lost a step no argument but arguably he was our best CB in 2016 thats not his fault he's covering the opposing teams #1 WR all the time. Gilchrist was the worst cover Safety in the NFL and disappeared in coverage. This isn't all on Revis. A move to Safety might do him and the team good. If he fails to make the transition you cut him. 

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He has lost a step no argument but arguably he was our best CB in 2016 thats not his fault he's covering the opposing teams #1 WR all the time. Gilchrist was the worst cover Safety in the NFL and disappeared in coverage. This isn't all on Revis. A move to Safety might do him and the team good. If he fails to make the transition you cut him. 

They discussed the possibility of his conversion to safety on NFL Network.  Unanimous verdict: No freaking way will it work.  My opinion:  Who knows if that would work?  Ronnie Lott did it.  Because Revis brings ZERO veteran  leadership skills to the locker room, I wouldn't chance it.  Time to get the me-first Revis, Richardson, Wilk type attitudes outta here!

Just now, Dcat said:

They discussed the possibility of his conversion to safety on NFL Network.  Unanimous verdict: No freaking way will it work.  My opinion:  Who knows if that would work?  Ronnie Lott did it.  Because Revis brings ZERO veteran  leadership skills to the locker room, I wouldn't chance it.  Time to get the me-first Revis, Richardson, Wilk type attitudes outta here!

The locker room has been a mess thanks to Todd Bowles and the Ryan Fitzpatrick fiasco how many really supported the worst QB in the NFL?

Team chemistry was a mess thanks to the Fitzpatrick situation and maybe flat out Revis wasnt happy with the decision making as it seemed most of the defense wasnt. 

Revis at safety needs to be seen in my book he has earned the right and respect to do so. 

44 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

With the Jets needing speed at S why would they put Revis there? It was stated earlier that he has lost a step.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

well we will just have to agree to disagree on this claim.  My observations tell me that Revis is slow now.  Very slow.  He hasn't got a fraction of the skills he once had. He fails in one-on-one coverage way too often.  He was never a good fit in any zone scheme to begin with (see his ineffective play as a Tampa Bay Buccaneer in a cover 2 defense), so modifying the defensive scheme to adapt to Regis' declining speed and skills woould be pointless.  His bad play was not caused solely by bad coaching as you imply.  He just doesn't have it any more. 

51 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think revis has lost his fire to play  he may still have enough physical talent to play corner but if he has to tackle a lot of the time it won't be pretty.  the funny thing is revis was a good tackler and should know that players get into trouble when they stray away from good technique. 

I'm hoping maybe he had undisclosed injuries. He knows the craft. He's a proven supertalent. He's only 31. Rod Woodson played at 38, Darrell Green was almost 43.

Darrelle's "I'm old" comment was either a cover-up excuse or turning past 30 messed with his head. He watched D'Brick quit after 10 years.

Maybe he's questioning his own interest in the game (but not the money). Maybe it's just a fixable funk.

It must be hard to stay enthused when your team sucks and the HC is clueless.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

But a "step" in the NFL makes the difference between being an island and being Grand Central Terminal. 

4 hours ago, Jet Fan RI said:

I'm thinking more about the build up - first, being out in that sort of area late at night, and second, what happened before the assault (did he try to diffuse it, or did he instigate it?).

To put it another way - if I walk around in a rough area late at night, flashing my gold and talking sh!t to everyone, I'm not exactly blameless if I get jumped on. But if I'm just minding my own business when it happens it's a different story.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

His coverage skills are excellent game changing he's got great ballhawking skills he cant do any worse than Gilchrist did. 

His unwillingness to tackle along with lack of speed could make the team worse. Too much risk for me as a GM to keep him. The Jets were clearly slow in the secondary last season. His lone pick came in the last game against Buff

19 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

His unwillingness to tackle along with lack of speed could make the team worse. Too much risk for me as a GM to keep him. The Jets were clearly slow in the secondary last season. His lone pick came in the last game against Buff

Agree to disagree the entire secondary and the defense was terrible cant blame it all on Revis. 

Without a legitimate pass rush any secondary and CB will be fully exposed. 

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

I'm thinking more about the build up - first, being out in that sort of area late at night, and second, what happened before the assault (did he try to diffuse it, or did he instigate it?).

To put it another way - if I walk around in a rough area late at night, flashing my gold and talking sh!t to everyone, I'm not exactly blameless if I get jumped on. But if I'm just minding my own business when it happens it's a different story.

Exactly. But that's my point. It depends on the actual facts of the case. If things went down as you describe, clearly the league, and the Jets, would find Revis at fault, even if a court does not;

I'm hoping maybe he had undisclosed injuries. He knows the craft. He's a proven supertalent. He's only 31. Rod Woodson played at 38, Darrell Green was almost 43.
Darrelle's "I'm old" comment was either a cover-up excuse or turning past 30 messed with his head. He watched D'Brick quit after 10 years.
Maybe he's questioning his own interest in the game (but not the money). Maybe it's just a fixable funk.
It must be hard to stay enthused when your team sucks and the HC is clueless.

Maybe it is because he has gone from island to turnstile to felon in 16 months.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived