For Revis FANS

prime21

Football is the hardest of all the major sports for longevity and making money and it also seems to be the worst for taking care of their alumni.  I hated that Revis held out and that he was traded and then became a Patriot but there is a business side to sports that we must all accept.  Is he greedy?  Yes, very, but who in this forum wouldn't capitalize on your talents to make yourself the most money you possibly could? People can't forgive him for joining the Pats but they offered him 12 million and a chance at a ring and so should he have turned it down because he used to play for the Jets?  Lets put all that to the side and look at his game.  In his prime he was as good as anyone who ever played the game. Him and Prime Time are very different players in different eras so that is a debate that will never be agreed upon.  Revis was a dominant force who had a skill that made opponents change their game plan.  There aren't many defensive players in the league that can do that.   He gave us 3 very good years and 3 dominant years before he was traded to TB.   By the time he came back he was on the decline.  Last year he fell horribly from the top of the mountain. Once he lost his step he unfortunately could not adjust.  He was never a fast DB, he was a smart technical corner and those guys never look good when they age.

I'm glad that it has ended on a positive note between the Jets and him meaning no bad words said (publicly at least).   I will remember him for those first 6 years and also the excitement of him coming back to us.    As for last year, it' was like watching a former champ who thinks they can fight when they are way too old for the sport.  It should not take away from a stellar career and future ROH and HOF member.

Thanks #24

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh. No one has ever discredited what Revis did on the field for the first 5 years of his career. And I think most people can agree that sports definitely are a business and that players need to do what they can to maximize their earning potential.

But imagine if everyone in sports treated their contracts like Revis did? He signed them. He chose to hold the Jets hostage and not honor his deals twice in 3 years. The guy didn't even pretend to be a team guy.

As for his departure, how soon we forget 'The Jets better treat me with class' crap that he was spouting off about a month ago. Funny how a little legal trouble could change his tune. 

He might have been one of the greatest players in the NFL.....for 2 years. Of course the Jets get one of the greatest players at CB in history & get 2 incredibly great years out of him for only 90 million dollars, lol! I don't know exactly how much he earned from the NY Jets but now every Jet fan realizes why the New England Patriots don't pay ANYONE crazy money except for one position & one position ONLY, QUARTERBACK! 

Look at the Houston Texans. How many years did they NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS with JJ Watt? Last year he didn't even play & they made the playoffs. It's a team game folks, and the Texans revamped secondary had a huge hand (plus Clowney finally arrived), but having an overpaid star does nothing for our ultimate goal which is getting to & winning another Super Bowl.

Keep the cuts coming! Harris has got to go too. He was a great Jet but his time has come. I want to see a fast young team. On offense you keep Marshall for 7.5 (not outragous), so you help your young QBs, of course if someone offered a 4th, you take it without blinking. This is an important draft for Macc, give him the ammo & I think his scouts will come through. No more Ducasse, Wild Boar, Stephen Hill, Nugent, and on & on. 

Revis was the one that said it was a business. Revis was the one that held out to the detriment of the team. Revis was the one that opted to play for the Pats. Revis was the one that shied away from tackles last year. If he wanted our "love" he sure went about in a weird way. 

Basically, prime21, you are defending a guy that could give a sh1t about you or the Jets organization.  You are correct, being a selfish money hungry player was his right, but it also has it's consequences. 

Never had a problem with him holding out. Had a problem with him mailing it in last year.  He got a concussion and was afraid to hit anyone again.  He should have retired before last year.  That would have been the classy thing to do but the greedy **** had to get that extra 24 mil.  

That six million extra cap space would be nice this year. 

Didn't learn anything new in this thread.   Revis was a great corner.   I don't hate the guy,  hate is a very strong word.   I certainly don't like him.   Couldn't care less what happens to him. 

14 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Revis was the one that said it was a business. Revis was the one that held out to the detriment of the team. Revis was the one that opted to play for the Pats. Revis was the one that shied away from tackles last year. If he wanted our "love" he sure went about in a weird way. 

Basically, prime21, you are defending a guy that could give a sh1t about you or the Jets organization.  You are correct, being a selfish money hungry player was his right, but it also has it's consequences. 

I have news for you, none of the players give a crap about the fans.  Not revis, namath, Klecko, any of them.

he never held out to the detriment of the team.  the 2007 team was going to suck anyway, the 2010 team got closer to a SB than any team since SB III.

My problem with Jet for life, born and bred to wear green, the Jets better treat me with respect Revis is he went to our #1 hated rival in our division. He could have gone to Seattle and won a SB, he could have gone to Denver and won a SB, he could have gone anywhere else and been paid astronomical amounts of money but no, he had to sign in NE.

I can never forgive that.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I have news for you, none of the players give a crap about the fans.  Not revis, namath, Klecko, any of them.

he never held out to the detriment of the team.  the 2007 team was going to suck anyway, the 2010 team got closer to a SB than any team since SB III.

Link?

Every time a player expressed gratitude, it's usually parents, God and fans, in some order of the top 3. But if you say they don't care, I guess they don't care. I'm sure you have a hypothetical argument that doesn't prove why, but you'll insist it does.

Also, he held out to the point of being moved by Idzik, which made the team worse. Maybe you don't understand "detriment"? Or maybe you mean hypothetically not detrimental?

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

More like a Jets hater. 

Dislikes all the Jets players and sells tickets to opposing teams fans. 

@SAR I have you ever considered selling joewilly to another team? I'm sure you can get something done on the black market, no?

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Link?

Every time a player expressed gratitude, it's usually parents, God and fans, in some order of the top 3. But if you say they don't care, I guess they don't care. I'm sure you have a hypothetical argument that doesn't prove why, but you'll insist it does.

Also, he held out to the point of being moved by Idzik, which made the team worse. Maybe you don't understand "detriment"? Or maybe you mean hypothetically not detrimental?

so you believe all the PR players and teams put out? publicly we will always here about how players/coaches/etc... love the fans but privately they laugh at grown adults wearing their jerseys bashing them about stuff they don't understand.

he didn't hold out under Idzik. 

anything else you want to make up?

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

More like a Jets hater. 

you've got your head so far up SAR's rectum that you could perform a detailed visual colonoscopy of him.  

Just now, nyjunc said:

so you believe all the PR players and teams put out? publicly we will always here about how players/coaches/etc... love the fans but privately they laugh at grown adults wearing their jerseys bashing them about stuff they don't understand.

he didn't hold out under Idzik. 

anything else you want to make up?

So, you're saying the players thank fans, but actually aren't thankful, and that they hypotheically don't care. Hypothetical argument - check.

He didn't need to hold out under Idzik. Idzik moved him because of the history of holding out. Semantic argument - check.

Like clockwork. Too easy.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

He didn't need to hold out under Idzik. Idzik moved him because of the history of holding out. Semantic argument - check.

Isn't all this talk of him being typical greedy you-know-what more of an anti-semantic argument? 

Or something. I was trying to make this joke work but #fail :bag: 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Isn't all this talk of him being typical greedy you-know-what more of an anti-semantic argument? 

Or something. I was trying to make this joke work but #fail :bag: 

Awful. LOL

Revis haters will hate him some more if this happens. 

Here’s why a Darrelle Revis-Patriots reunion makes sense 

Bill Belichick is smart enough to find a use for Darrelle Revis and could stick it to Jets at same time.

Bill Belichick is smart enough to find a use for Darrelle Revis and could stick it to Jets at same time.

(STEVEN SENNE/AP)

Now that the Jets have turned Revis Island into Gilligan’s Island, Darrelle Revis is shipwrecked without a team, his best football in the past and perhaps no more good days on the field in his future.

“He’s just a guy,” one NFL personnel source said Wednesday. “It’s over. He doesn’t make a difference on anybody’s team. He’s an imposter.”

Well, that’s a harsh assessment.

“It’s like having a guy batting fourth who was hitting 40-50 home runs and now he’s only hitting 20 home runs and striking out,” he said. “You can’t overpay this guy. I wouldn’t pay him anything over the minimum.”

Will Capt. Belichick from the S.S. Hoodie throw Revis a life raft with the Jets announcing they will cut him next week?

“It’s the only team that makes sense,” the source said.

Revis still has value because of his ball skills and his smarts. It will take a creative defensive coach on a winning team to find a role for him. Know anybody like that?

I think a return to New England actually makes a lot of sense. The Jets owe Revis $6 million guaranteed this season. No team is going to pay him more than that, or even close to that, to lessen the Jets financial burden.

But I can imagine this reunion: Bill Belichick brings him back to the Patriots and pays him the $1 million veteran minimum. The Jets would then have to pick up the other $5 million. Belichick could do this just out of spite. He hates the Jets that much. Woody Johnson would have to pay Revis $5 million to play for the Patriots. How delicious would that be for Belichick?

The Jets dump Darrelle Revis after his miserable season and most teams will shy away from aging star.

The Jets dump Darrelle Revis after his miserable season and most teams will shy away from aging star.

(AARON M. SPRECHER/AP)

Revis played an important role in Belichick’s Super Bowl defense in 2014, but has lost so much in the last two years that he might want no part of him, even as a nickel corner, a nickel safety, free safety or the second corner if they lose free agent Logan Ryan, whose agents, by the way, are Revis’ former agents.

Revis’ tape from last season will prevent some teams from considering him. His name and reputation could be enough for others to figure he’s worth a look in training camp. If a small bidding war arises, maybe he gets a minimal signing bonus. If Revis decides to continue playing, he presumably will be motivated to write a better ending to his career.

Remember, teams always need corners and Revis could have a bounce back season. Slot corner makes no much sense because he’s not quick enough to stop slippery guys like Julian Edelman.

So, what’s next?

First, it will be interesting if any team touches Revis before his legal situation – he faces four felony charges – for the recent Pittsburgh street fight gets resolved.

Revis is from Pittsburgh so perhaps the Steelers will think playing at home will get him excited. One problem for Revis is so many of his former coaches are out of the league right now: Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan, Dennis Thurman, Mike Pettine.

Mike Tannenbaum, the Dolphins VP, drafted Revis in 2007 when he was the Jets GM and might enjoy having the contract leverage this time. Atlanta’s Dan Quinn was the Jets defensive line coach in Revis’ first two seasons, so maybe he tries to revive the good old days.

Revis has always chased the money and always won the race: He was the best cover corner in the NFL. He even got the Bucs to pay him $16 million in 2013 although he was coming off a torn ACL with the Jets. Revis convinced Belichick to have Robert Kraft write him a $12 million check in 2014 and he helped the Patriots win their first Super Bowl in 10 years. But he had no desire to give Revis a huge contract after that season.

Darrelle Revis previously spend one season with the Patriots, helping New England to Super Bowl win after 2014 season.

Darrelle Revis previously spend one season with the Patriots, helping New England to Super Bowl win after 2014 season.

(CHRISTIAN PETERSEN/GETTY IMAGES)

Revis talked Johnson into $39 million guaranteed two years ago when Johnson had no idea all the money Revis had already made and his new Super Bowl ring had ripped two essential ingredients right out of him: His heart and desire. He played complacent.

He’s never been a burner, but his inability to be physical at the line of scrimmage – his surgically repaired wrist robbed him of that talent – exposed his lack of speed last season. Without getting bumped, receivers ran past him. It’s no given he can make the switch to safety. Remember, safeties have to hit. Revis no longer likes to hit.

Thurman, who coached Revis four years with the Jets, told the Daily News on Wednesday he feels Revis can still play. “The question is whether he feels he can still play,” he said. “When I watched him last season, I felt like, as with any corner, when you lose your confidence, it’s hard for you. The one-on-one matchup is what you live for when you play on the corner. You accept it. It’d part of your DNA. When the time comes that he doesn’t welcome the challenge, it’s time to get off the corner. He got his confidence hurt early and he never really recovered from it.”

Thurman moved from corner to safety in his career with the Cowboys. Ronnie Lott was switched from corner to his natural safety spot early on by the 49ers. Rod Woodson and Charles Woodson made successful transitions from corner to safety late in their careers.

“Most of the corners who move to safety don’t make it,” Thurman said. “If Darrelle is going to go inside and play safety, he has to go back to where he was willing to tackle when he was younger. It’s not as easy as it sounds. Early in his career he was a good tackler. Then he had a couple of concussions and his tackling slipped.”

Thurman thinks Revis won’t have a problem reading plays from the middle of the field. He’s a student of the game. The personnel source says he wouldn’t want Revis at safety.

“He doesn’t play the run. He doesn’t like to tackle,” he said. “You can put him in the middle of the field on third and long. So how many plays do you have for him each week? Six? He can do it in terms of nickel safety. But at safety in a base defense he’s got to play physical. There is a point where you got to hit somebody. He’s not going to hit somebody. If you run a draw and Revis is the last guy between him and pay dirt? He’s the last guy I want between the runner and pay dirt.”

Revis used to leave receivers stranded on Revis Island. Now he’s the one that needs a life raft.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

:rolleyes:

show me where it happened?

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

So, you're saying the players thank fans, but actually aren't thankful, and that they hypotheically don't care. Hypothetical argument - check.

Like clockwork. Too easy.

your biggest problem is you lack common sense. 

Idzik moved him b/c it was part of the job when he accepted as Woody wanted to move on.  

so where did he hold out to the detriment of the team?  stop acting like yourself and act like an adult who can put together a rational thought.

I don;'t know why I argue w/. a guy who says Revis was good for a couple of games and that Rex's bluster made Revis into what he was.  you can't teach that kind of stupid.

Just now, nyjunc said:

show me where it happened?

your biggest problem is you lack common sense. 

Idzik moved him b/c it was part of the job when he accepted as Woody wanted to move on.  

so where did he hold out to the detriment of the team?  stop acting like yourself and act like an adult who can put together a rational thought.

I don;'t know why I argue w/. a guy who says Revis was good for a couple of games and that Rex's bluster made Revis into what he was.  you can't teach that kind of stupid.

Common sense? Like, the ability to instinctively know right from wrong? Or when someone is trying to troll me? 

I guess you're being ironic.

I'd tell you why you argue with me, but then you'd disagree and offer some hypothetical reason as to why I'm wrong about why.

So, what's the point, really?

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Common sense? Like, the ability to instinctively know right from wrong? Or when someone is trying to troll me? 

I guess you're being ironic.

I'd tell you why you argue with me, but then you'd disagree and offer some hypothetical reason as to why I'm wrong about why.

So, what's the point, really?

there is no bigger troll on here than you.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Correct you are all he/she does is look for arguments with people I've never seen an educated football related post from them. 

That he/she thing you do is a thing of beauty. Did you make that up yourself, or did you get that from someone? You should copy-write that! If I ever use that in the future I will credit you!

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

He might have been one of the greatest players in the NFL.....for 2 years. Of course the Jets get one of the greatest players at CB in history & get 2 incredibly great years out of him for only 90 million dollars, lol! I don't know exactly how much he earned from the NY Jets but now every Jet fan realizes why the New England Patriots don't pay ANYONE crazy money except for one position & one position ONLY, QUARTERBACK! 

Look at the Houston Texans. How many years did they NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS with JJ Watt? Last year he didn't even play & they made the playoffs. It's a team game folks, and the Texans revamped secondary had a huge hand (plus Clowney finally arrived), but having an overpaid star does nothing for our ultimate goal which is getting to & winning another Super Bowl.

Keep the cuts coming! Harris has got to go too. He was a great Jet but his time has come. I want to see a fast young team. On offense you keep Marshall for 7.5 (not outragous), so you help your young QBs, of course if someone offered a 4th, you take it without blinking. This is an important draft for Macc, give him the ammo & I think his scouts will come through. No more Ducasse, Wild Boar, Stephen Hill, Nugent, and on & on. 

FWIW - the Texans have made the playoffs 4 out of the 6 years that JJ Watt has been in the league. 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

A turd is a turd.  Even if that turd was good for a year or 2, he's still a turd. 

39 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

@SAR I have you ever considered selling joewilly to another team? I'm sure you can get something done on the black market, no?

It was fun playing with him over Geno Fitzpatrick all summer, he was harmless, but he is now an intolerable thread stalker playing the role of some angry old curmudgeon. 

SAR I

47 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

My problem with Jet for life, born and bred to wear green, the Jets better treat me with respect Revis is he went to our #1 hated rival in our division. He could have gone to Seattle and won a SB, he could have gone to Denver and won a SB, he could have gone anywhere else and been paid astronomical amounts of money but no, he had to sign in NE.

I can never forgive that.

He's a mercenary.  And he says you should respect him for it. 

He'll play for NE again this year, you just watch. 

46 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

More like a Jets hater. 

No, just hates lazy players who hurt the team.  Your boy Geno Smith and your boy Darrelle Revis are prime examples.  Hey, loved Revis '10, great player.  But last year?  What a joke.

I do not sell tickets to opposing teams fans.  I list my tickets for below face value to Jets fans.  If Jets fans are too cheap to support the team financially, like you for example, they're the ones letting the bad guys in the stadium, not me.

SAR I

Archived