AJ Bouye?

Freeman24

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Who the **** is AJ Bouye?  Seriously.  Did anyone know who AJ Bouye was before he became a FA?

IIRC people started to notice him during the playoffs.  Apparently had a monster game in round 1.  Once people heard he was going to become a FA, he shot up to the top of a lot of wish lists.  He's consistently listed as a top 3 or 4 FA CB.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Remember when Alterraun Verner was on everybody's wish list?  He's looked horrible, and Tampa cut him.  Might be worth a look as a reclamation project, but he is 3 years removed from getting any love.

1-2 year deal for Verner. I like this. Jets can still go out and sign another cb

9 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

If we are going to pay big money on a FA cb I rather have Gilmore who has performed at a higher level for a longer period of time and is only 26 years old. 

Gilmore is inconsistent and always hurt. Pass.

45 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Remember when Alterraun Verner was on everybody's wish list?  He's looked horrible, and Tampa cut him.  Might be worth a look as a reclamation project, but he is 3 years removed from getting any love.

Different kind of cornerback than the ones we played. IIRC, Verner is a zone corner and struggled playing man coverage. I don't think he'd be a fit here.

56 minutes ago, AFJF said:

IIRC people started to notice him during the playoffs.  Apparently had a monster game in round 1.  Once people heard he was going to become a FA, he shot up to the top of a lot of wish lists.  He's consistently listed as a top 3 or 4 FA CB.

Yeah everybody saw him tear it up in the playoffs. Apparently, he had been doing so all season but he happens to play in Houston, who nobody pays any attention to unless they are forced to. 

Bouye can play, I would not be afraid to pay him to be our #1 CB.

He would not be my #1 target if I were going after a CB. T.Johnson is the guys I want. More proven, prototypical size, solid tackler, not much of a n injury history. I would go after him hard in FA. He's 27 but worth every penny. 

I would also cut Skrine, let Williams walk, cut Gilchrist and go after Claiborne if we can get a him at a decent price. Otherwise, make sure you draft a CB in the first 2 rounds. Thats just me. If you get Claiborne you can allow yourself to go after Hooker at 6, IMO. 

But the following lineup would be nice... 

CB: T.Johnson (FA), M.Claiborne (FA), Burris, Roberts, Marshall (returner), McDougle/Keeton/UDFA/rookie/whoever

S: Hooker (rookie), Middleton, Pryor, Miles, Martin

OR

CB: T.Johnson, Burris, S.Jones (rookie), Roberts, Marshall (returner), McDougle/Keeton/UDFA/rookie/whoever

S: Middleton, Pryor, Miles, Martin, rookie/UDFA/whoever 

Nothing against Bouye, but one thing to consider is that teams with down offenses can inflate defenders value.  Opponents play safe because they are not worried about Osweiler/Savage beating them.  Sort of like QBs on horrible teams (Glennon) having yards and looking decent. It is easier to look good against a prevent.  This is just a general theory.  I have not paid enough attention to either of those guys to make a definitive judgment.

13 minutes ago, PepPep said:

He would not be my #1 target if I were going after a CB. T.Johnson is the guys I want. More proven, prototypical size, solid tackler, not much of a n injury history. I would go after him hard in FA. He's 27 but worth every penny. 

I would also cut Skrine, let Williams walk, cut Gilchrist and go after Claiborne if we can get a him at a decent price. Otherwise, make sure you draft a CB in the first 2 rounds. Thats just me. If you get Claiborne you can allow yourself to go after Hooker at 6, IMO. 

CB: T.Johnson (FA), M.Claiborne (FA), Burris, Roberts, Marshall (returner), McDougle/Keeton/UDFA/rookie/whoever

OR

CB: T.Johnson, Burris, S.Jones (rookie), Roberts, Marshall (returner), McDougle/Keeton/UDFA/rookie/whoever

T Johnson was franchised.  :(

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

isn't he more of a zone CB as opposed to press man?

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

You mean when they faced Connor Cook?  I know he picked off Brady but that's whats making him a hot commodity? 

This is one of those guys you stay far far away from because he's a hot name and happens to be a FA.  See: Buster Skrine. 

Bouye will never justify the contract he gets in FA, it's just how it is. He's going to be one of the first players signed. Those early signing guys ever have strong ROI.

Give me the 5th best FA corner for a normal contract, then draft.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Bouye will never justify the contract he gets in FA, it's just how it is. He's going to be one of the first players signed. Those early signing guys ever have strong ROI.

100%.  A UDFA who's a hot name because he picked off Brady and shut down Connor Cook...he's probably the 7th best player on that D?  No thank you. 

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Different kind of cornerback than the ones we played. IIRC, Verner is a zone corner and struggled playing man coverage. I don't think he'd be a fit here.

58 minutes ago, C Mart said:

isn't he more of a zone CB as opposed to press man?

Convert him to free safety!

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

OR

Tagged. 

Trumaine Johnson won't be leaving Southern California.

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

"It's the second year running that Johnson has been tagged, leaving the defender to play out the 2017 campaign for a cool $16.8 million -- making him the highest-paid cornerback league-wide."

We Jets fans laugh at only paying a rate of $16.8m for a CB. Get back to me when someone else breaks the $19m threshold. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Claiborne? Maybe Shields? Verner- as some have suggested. McKelvin?

I don't really want to over-pay for Bouye or Gilmore, but its starting to look like slip pickings.  

Archived