Best way to improve in the 1st round...

Mike135

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

235lbs and I think he hit 23mph.

You're not finding that in the 4th round.  You're not finding that in the 1st round very often either.  I'm not sure we've ever seen that.

If he runs a 4.4 at 240lbs .. he won't make it out he top 5.. 

37 minutes ago, Stark said:

Trade down, just trade down..... I am so sick of hearing every "draft expert" saying trade down. It is not trading down, it is a team trading for your pick. We don't call teams and say, "uh, hey guys we want to trade down." seriously..

Yes, we all know trading down and acquiring more picks will benefit us and if the opportunity presents itself we SHOULD take it. Seriously though, stop with this "trade down" odds are we won't be having any offers worthy of trading down for.

I disagree. I think odds are we WILL have an opportunity to move down. At 6, there are a number of players that other teams may want to move up for. The Browns, in particular are flush with draft picks and unless they go after a QB at #1 overall, they could very well miss out on taking one of the top (and much needed) QBs if they wait until 12.  

Allen, Fournette, Hooker, a QB could all be potential targets for teams to move up for. 

22 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

235lbs and I think he hit 23mph.

You're not finding that in the 4th round.  You're not finding that in the 1st round very often either.  I'm not sure we've ever seen that.

D'onta Freeman from Texas weighs 230 and is the same height. He may not have the same ceiling potential as fournette but his floor is exactly the same as fournette's.

I'm not arguing fournette is good, potentially great even.. but what I'm saying is our needs are bigger than a possible "generational talent" who already has injury concerns. If his durability is already a question mark, what you think is going to happen when he gets to NYJ's o-line and teams stack the box cause they don't fear our sucky QB play? He's not going to run over grown men in the NFL like he did at LSU. And he'll be beat up and hurt by the time we're ready to compete in 2-3 years.

I'd rather go for a safety that could solidify our team in Adams or hooker. There's no QB worth a top 10 pick. Our biggest need is safety (FS really). And there are CB's in the draft that could go in 3rd round and be starters this season. Fill our needs now. Worry about oversaturation at RB when we actually have a good team and not a team that's just gonna kill our RB from the start. This isn't going to be zeke and the cowboys o-line gotta remember that.

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I disagree. I think odds are we WILL have an opportunity to move down. At 6, there are a number of players that other teams may want to move up for. The Browns, in particular are flush with draft picks and unless they go after a QB at #1 overall, they could very well miss out on taking one of the top (and much needed) QBs if they wait until 12.  

Allen, Fournette, Hooker, a QB could all be potential targets for teams to move up for. 

Anything is possible. My point is that, it is not us trading down, it is a team wanting our pick. We don't know if that will happen and for everyone to just say trade down, is the easy cop out response. I also said that we should take an offer if it presents itself, but we can't plan on it. So if we are at 6 and have to pick then Fournette would be the best way to improve in the first round based on the this particular thread.

I would love to get an offer to move down acquire more picks, we need them. 

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

Anything is possible. My point is that, it is not us trading down, it is a team wanting our pick. We don't know if that will happen and for everyone to just say trade down, is the easy cop out response. I also said that we should take an offer if it presents itself, but we can't plan on it. So if we are at 6 and have to pick then Fournette would be the best way to improve in the first round based on the this particular thread.

I would love to get an offer to move down acquire more picks, we need them. 

I agree with you. In fact, odds are if the Jets get an offer, there will be a player they could very well take themselves. Fournette and Hooker in particular would be hard to pass on if the Jets got an offer to move down. But if Allen or a QB was there, it would make sense for Macc to get  o the phone and make it clear that he is willing to move the pick.  

Clearly, there's two sides in a trade- a team must be willing to move down (passing on a player) and a team must be willing to move up (giving up additional draft picks). So when you say "it is not us trading down, it is a team wanting our pick" we're just talking semantics. You can't just assume you can move up fora  player just like you can't just assume you can move down from your draft pick. Obviously, you can't rely on any kind of trade.     

Just now, Beerfish said:

I would bet 100 dollars that the Browns will not take a RB at #1 no matter what the guy runs, looks like or interviews.

Agreed. But based on people's logic that fournette is a generational talent in a league that doesn't even value power RB's anymore...they seem to think we should pick him at 6th though

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I still like Cook over Fournette at Rb and will not be at all surprised if he goes before fournette.

The Jets will take a CB or S orrrrr if we happen to let Harris go Rueben Foster

Cook has a few character concerns but if they aren't real concerns I think Cook would be the better back for teams that run out of the shotgun more; which is starting to be the trend with the NFL.  

2016 Top RBs by rushing yards 
Ezekiel Elliott - 1st Round 4th Overall(2016)
Jordan Howard - 4th Round 150th Overall (2016)    
DeMarco Murray - 3rd Round 71st Overall (2011)
Jay Ajayi - 5th Round 149th Overall (2015)    
Le'Veon Bell - 2nd Round 48th Overall (2013)    
LeSean McCoy - 2nd Round 53rd Overall (2009)    
David Johnson - 3rd Round 86th Overall (2015)    
LeGarrette Blount - UDFA 2010
Devonta Freeman - 4th Round 103th Overall (2014)
Lamar Miller - 4th Round 97th Overall (2012)    
Mark Ingram - 1st Round 28th Overall (2011)
Frank Gore - 3rd Round 65th Overall (2005)

To be fair Adrian Peterson could also be on this list. 1st Round 7th Overall (2007).
9 of the 13 have been drafted in the last 5 drafts.
10 of the 13 have been drafted after the first round.

Wouldn't mind the Jets taking Fournette or Cook cause they are fun to watch, but you could probably find a player that can be productive in the league later in the draft.  Especially in this draft with the depth there is at running back:  Conner, Dayes, Foreman, Gallman, Hill, Hunt, Kamara, Mack, McCaffrey, McNichols, Mixon, Williams.

i can continue to dream about drafting offense in the first round but it isn't happening this year if they stay at #6.  the value will probably be at cb, i can't see taking a safety at 6.  lattimore at 6 is screaming me in the face that i'm preparing for it now.  with the next 3 picks, they'll take a rb/te/ol.  i would like jake butt with one of those 3rd rounders.

7 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

2016 Top RBs by rushing yards 
Ezekiel Elliott - 1st Round 4th Overall(2016)
Jordan Howard - 4th Round 150th Overall (2016)    
DeMarco Murray - 3rd Round 71st Overall (2011)
Jay Ajayi - 5th Round 149th Overall (2015)    
Le'Veon Bell - 2nd Round 48th Overall (2013)    
LeSean McCoy - 2nd Round 53rd Overall (2009)    
David Johnson - 3rd Round 86th Overall (2015)    
LeGarrette Blount - UDFA 2010
Devonta Freeman - 4th Round 103th Overall (2014)
Lamar Miller - 4th Round 97th Overall (2012)    
Mark Ingram - 1st Round 28th Overall (2011)
Frank Gore - 3rd Round 65th Overall (2005)

To be fair Adrian Peterson could also be on this list. 1st Round 7th Overall (2007).
9 of the 13 have been drafted in the last 5 drafts.
10 of the 13 have been drafted after the first round.

Wouldn't mind the Jets taking Fournette or Cook cause they are fun to watch, but you could probably find a player that can be productive in the league later in the draft.  Especially in this draft with the depth there is at running back:  Conner, Dayes, Foreman, Gallman, Hill, Hunt, Kamara, Mack, McCaffrey, McNichols, Mixon, Williams.

By contrast.

8 of the top 13 QBs by passing yards are 1st rounders and 2 were 2nd rounders (though Brees was a top 32 pick, he is still a 2nd round pick). 

5 of the top 13 WRs by receiving yards are 1st rounders and 4 were 2nd rounders.

10 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Fournette will likely be BAP when we pick, and he plays an offensive skill position. I'd be happy with the Jets taking him at #6. 

This guy skipped his bowl game so he could get healthy and train for the combines, shows up at 240 lbs and now says he's going to lose weight . I think he can go spit .

At 240 lbs (bigger than our 1st round LB'er).  He needs to prove he's not a plodder.  And running fast in a straight line isnt the measurement.  He needs to kill all the drills.  

The kid is a one system, downhill RB.  He cant read zone concepts.  He cant read east to west concepts.  He cant take snaps out of the shotgun.  He needs a FB and a full head of steam.  Completely shut down by Bama.  1.7 yards per in every game. Chronic ankle injury. 

Perfect pick for the Jets. 

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

If he can be an Generational RB then I don't see the argument against it.

zeke Elliot is a diff back but shows a   Difference making running back is worthy of a top pick 

Does he?  He had close to 2000 total yards last year.  But DeMarco Murray (a 3rd round pick) had close to 2,300 yards running behind a slightly worse line two years earlier.  And the Cowboys' top 3 backs in 2015 - led by the ghost of Darren McFadden and the immortal Joseph Randle and Robert Turbin - had 1,972 total yards on only 50 more combined touches than Elliott

Elliott's a transcendent talent, but is that type of incremental improvement really worth a top 10 pick?

24 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Oh cool. I wasn't aware that you were that confident. That totally changes everything. 

Lol, dick.  I was replying to his question asking if I was confident.  Obviously I wouldn't have said that otherwise.

I've given this some thought, and on the theory that we're going to be setting up for one of the top QBs next year, give me Mike Williams at 6.  Cut Marshall, roll with a top 3 of Decker, Williams, and Enunwa, with Anderson and Peake as the 4 and 5.  Those are some real weapons for our current QBs, and then if Williams does well we can walk away from Decker (7.5M cap savings, 1.5M dead money) the next offseason and go with Williams, Enunwa (extended) and Anderson as our top 3.  Williams has AJ Green-like potential and can do as much (more) for a young QB as an elite RB.  

1 minute ago, Doggin94it said:

I've given this some thought, and on the theory that we're going to be setting up for one of the top QBs next year, give me Mike Williams at 6.  Cut Marshall, roll with a top 3 of Decker, Williams, and Enunwa, with Anderson and Peake as the 4 and 5.  Those are some real weapons for our current QBs, and then if Williams does well we can walk away from Decker (7.5M cap savings, 1.5M dead money) the next offseason and go with Williams, Enunwa (extended) and Anderson as our top 3.  Williams has AJ Green-like potential and can do as much (more) for a young QB as an elite RB.  

I like the Williams pick too, but would still prefer Fournette.

Don't want a RB in the 1st round, but if I had to pick 1, it would be Dalvin Cook . Right now, I'm focus on Trubisky or Ramczyk  .  I have a feeling that if Trubisky makes it to 6, the Jets are going to have to decide if what the Browns are offering is good enough to trade down for .

56 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I've been saying for a while, if they're not taking a QB, take Williams. 

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Interesting comparison for Williams. I see him more as a Alshon Jeffrey / Mike Evans player.  A guy that will go up and get it, but separation is not really their strongest attribute. Marshall is another WR that Williams' style and skill set compares to so replacing Williams with Marshall might work.

I get hesitant about taking a running back high because of what I saw happen to Todd Gurley. He was taken very high, looked great one year, not so the next, maybe got burnt out. How much better are these guys than Gurley? Did he change things around for the Rams? He might have for a while, I don't know. But since he was pretty much their only weapon,  he burnt out... this can happen to us with one of these top rb's.

I think the biggest argument in favor of Fournette is that he's probably the biggest lock in the draft. Barring catastrophic injuries/bad luck there's basically no chance he won't be a very good RB who will make an immediate impact.

That said, he's a RB and I just don't think I can justify a RB at #6. If we're able to trade down five slots or more, then sure, let's do it. But a top ten pick? Seems like too much for a short lifespan non premium position.

2 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

By contrast.

8 of the top 13 QBs by passing yards are 1st rounders and 2 were 2nd rounders (though Brees was a top 32 pick, he is still a 2nd round pick). 

5 of the top 13 WRs by receiving yards are 1st rounders and 4 were 2nd rounders.

There is a potential bias in the data.  How many RBs were drafted in the last five first-rounds compared to QBs and WRs?  You can't compare the data cleanly without answering at least that.

Archived