OC Morton Not Married to Any Particular System

Gas2No99

Posted Mar 8, 2017

•  
  •  

Green & White’s New Play Caller Focused on Making an Offense to Best Suit the Team 

bowles-morton-art.jpg

New Jets offensive coordinator John Morton is not committed to running a specific system. Instead, he’ll build a playbook best suited to exploit his players’ strengths.

“John has a great offensive mind. He can work with any type of person,” head coach Todd Bowles told reporters in Indianapolis. “He is very good at incorporating the players and understanding what they are good at and what they are not good at. He is a lot like Chan [Gailey] in that way, but he’s younger.

“He isn’t a system guy – West Coast or anything else. He can kind of fit guys into what they do best. He’ll have a scheme that he puts in but he can adapt to things really quickly. His understanding of relating to players and getting across to players what he wants is what really put him over the top for me.”:(

ESPN analyst Jon Gruden told Jets Insider Eric Allen that Morton “took advantage of some great people” throughout his coaching career, a list that list includes Gruden (Raiders 1998-1999), Jim Harbaugh (49ers 2011-2014) and most recently, Sean Payton (Saints 2006, 2015-2016). It’ll be interesting to see if Morton’s offense will draw any comparisons to the systems of the people he coached under. (No mention of his ONLY OC job under Pete Carroll). 

We will have an offense that works,” Bowles said. “If the West Coast works, we’ll run it. If the long ball works, we’ll do it. If the running game works, we’ll run it. John is very good at adapting to what we have.;)

Morton will be working with four new coaches on the offensive side of the ball — RBs coach Stump Mitchell, offensive assistant Jason Vrable, offensive assistant/assistane QBs coach Mick Lombardi and QBs coach Jeremy Bates. Bowles told the media he believes Bates is "the guy to do the job," praising his work ethic and football IQ, especially when it comes to mechanics. 

“He’s an outstanding coach,” Bowles said. “He watches film, even when he was out of football. People have reasons why they get out of football, it doesn’t mean they are not good coaches, they have different reasons, family reasons and other reasons. Jeremy’s time has come to come back in and I think it’s outstanding. We’ve had long conversations and I think he’s the guy to do the job.”

I think the only real sense of the type of offense, or style of play-calling, that Morton may implement that we can analyze would be his 1 year of tape as OC at USC under Carroll's final season with Matt Barkley @ QB and Joe McKninght (RIP) as his RB. 

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So we hired a coordinator who has no plan on what offense he runs?

Hahahahahahaha.

This cant be true.  

Didn't you read Bowles' comment?

"we'll have an offense that works"

So whatever works is what he'll run. sigh. 

How can an OC have a "specific system" when he never OC'd before?

We will have an offense that works,” Bowles said. “If the West Coast works, we’ll run it. If the long ball works, we’ll do it. If the running game works, we’ll run it. John is very good at adapting to what we have.

Which is absolutely nothing.

This is actually great news. Football isn't rocket science & some of these OCs are cemented into a particular style of offense. What's wrong with putting together an offensive playbook that plays to the strengths of players? The Pats do this all of the time. They play a certain style when Gronk is healthy, 2 TEs, they go spread when he's hurt, they go power ball with Blount if you can't stop the run. I'm happy to have a guy who worked under Sean Payton, he's a top offensive mind in the NFL. The most exciting part of Hackenberg is that he's supposedly a sponge when it comes to knowing the game & that he can make every throw with a strong arm. Macc drafted him based on that criteria & the most important thing will be putting an Oline together that can protect him while he's learning on the job. 2017 is setting up as the perfect scenario to start Hackenberg. Zero pressure. One play at a time type of training with Morton molding the young man. If he doesn't have IT, we'll probably be in the Darnold, Rosen sweepstakes and follow the path the Bucs did when they had Glennon and drafted Winston. Except Macc will probably be smarter & take less in a trade if another team wants to continue the Hackenberg experience.

I just love an offensive coordinator with no point of view.

Some of the finest executives I work with come into a financial planning meeting and when asked how they are going to correct a bad sales trend respond "I'm not sure".

SAR I

Sounds to me Morton is saying that he will adapt an offense to fit the talent and ability of his players. You would think this would actually make all the people who criticize Bowles for being inflexible with his system, putting guys out of position just to run a scheme, happy.

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I just love an offensive coordinator with no point of view.

Some of the finest executives I work with come into a financial planning meeting and when asked how they are going to correct a bad sales trend respond "I'm not sure".

SAR I

this is better than rex telling belichick all week that he's going to run the ball, and then keeps running the ball all game.

12 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Posted Mar 8, 2017

•  
  •  

Green & White’s New Play Caller Focused on Making an Offense to Best Suit the Team 

ESPN analyst Jon Gruden told Jets Insider Eric Allen that Morton “took advantage of some great people” throughout his coaching career, a list that list includes Gruden (Raiders 1998-1999), Jim Harbaugh (49ers 2011-2014) and most recently, Sean Payton (Saints 2006, 2015-2016). It’ll be interesting to see if Morton’s offense will draw any comparisons to the systems of the people he coached under. (No mention of his ONLY OC job under Pete Carroll). 

As usual Gruden is gushing.  Morton was a player under Gruden, not a coach.  I think he worked with the Raiders in personnel, but he was actually hired to staff under Callahan when Gruden went off to Tampa.  I don't think he was OC under Carroll, I think he was WR coach.  He was OC under Kiffin.  In addition to Carroll, he left out Marty Schottenhiemer/Cam Cameron for a year in SD, Doug Marrone who was NO's OC in 2006.

12 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Great news, what system relies on no QB?

Why do you think we had Gailey?  He won with Slash and Mike Tomzak. 

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

As usual Gruden is gushing.  Morton was a player under Gruden, not a coach.  I think he worked with the Raiders in personnel, but he was actually hired to staff under Callahan when Gruden went off to Tampa.  I don't think he was OC under Carroll, I think he was WR coach.  He was OC under Kiffin.  In addition to Carroll, he left out Marty Schottenhiemer/Cam Cameron for a year in SD, Doug Marrone who was NO's OC in 2006.

Why do you think we had Gailey?  He won with Slash and Mike Tomzak. 

NO NO and WRONG.

He NEVER played under Gruden and was hired under Callahan as an OA/TE coach. Morton NEVER worked under Marty Schottenheimer or Cam Cameron - it was SAN DIEGO COLLEGE where he coached under Harbaugh's initial HC gig. He was WR coach @USC  in '07-08 & OC under Carroll in '09 and Kennedy Polamalu was the OC in '10 under Kiffin. Then he went BACK to work for Harbaugh again until Harbaugh left and didn't take Morton with him. Other than USC, Morton has been nothing but a retread WR coach over the last 15 years. 

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2002–2004 Oakland Raiders (OA/TE)
2005 San Diego (WR)
2006 New Orleans Saints (OA)
2007–2008 USC (WR)
2009–2010 USC (OC)
2011–2014 San Francisco 49ers (WR)
2015–2016 New Orleans Saints (WR)
2017–present New York Jets (OC)

I don;t see his 'not married' bit to be a negative at all.  Gailey worked wonders with that idea with some bad teams and bad QBs.

Bowles and his D is the EXACT opposite of this, as he tries to shoehorn all of his players into his 'brilliant' system.

46 minutes ago, section314 said:

Sounds to me Morton is saying that he will adapt an offense to fit the talent and ability of his players. You would think this would actually make all the people who criticize Bowles for being inflexible with his system, putting guys out of position just to run a scheme, happy.

It's the Jets fan mentality for you.  Regardless of what is said or done, there's reason to complain about it.  In fairness though, the Jets are pretty much to blame for that happening.

I'm not even sure about Morton, but it's comical to see the number of times we've seen coaches around here blasted for trying to force players into their system and/or redoing the roster to fit their system, and now it's unfathomable that a coach would dare consider tailoring the scheme to the current players.  In all likelihood he's going to suck at his job, because ya know... Jets, but it's a pretty major reach to be citing this as a reason.

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

It's the Jets fan mentality for you.  Regardless of what is said or done, there's reason to complain about it.  In fairness though, the Jets are pretty much to blame for that happening.

I'm not even sure about Morton, but it's comical to see the number of times we've seen coaches around here blasted for trying to force players into their system and/or redoing the roster to fit their system, and now it's unfathomable that a coach would dare consider tailoring the scheme to the current players.  In all likelihood he's going to suck at his job, because ya know... Jets, but it's a pretty major reach to be citing this as a reason.

Agree with you. 

14 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

NO NO and WRONG.

He NEVER played under Gruden and was hired under Callahan as an OA/TE coach. He was WR coach @USC  in '07-08 & OC under Carroll in '09 and Kennedy Polamalu was the OC in '10 under Kiffin. Other than USC, Morton has been nothing but a retread WR coach over the last 15 years. 

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2002–2004 Oakland Raiders (OA/TE)
2005 San Diego (WR)
2006 New Orleans Saints (OA)
2007–2008 USC (WR)
2009–2010 USC (OC)
2011–2014 San Francisco 49ers (WR)
2015–2016 New Orleans Saints (WR)
2017–present New York Jets (OC)

I could get straight story about his time at USC, but your own chart lists him as OC under Kiffin in '10.  He played at Green Bay in the 90's when Gruden was the WR coach. You left out the main thing I was wrong about.  San Diego was the college.  He never worked for Marty, but was hired there by Harbaugh, then went to the Saints for a year and then to USC.  

Archived