Geno Visiting Giants

JetsFanatic

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Rex blew it. He couldn't handle the offense covering for his defense, so he sacrificed the offense to try to turn his defense into the 85 bears. Except it didn't work, the d was average and he destroyed the offense, and finished off Sanchez in the process. I called the whole thing in August of 2011. It was so clear what was going to happen

This. I called it too. 

In order for Rex Ryan to get a second head coaching job he had to maintain the illusion that he was a fantastic defensive coordinator at all costs. Our best hope at finding a franchise quarterback was thrown in the garbage so Rex Ryan could be a failure in Buffalo. 

Rex Ryan is The Devil. 

SAR I

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This. I called it too. 

In order for Rex Ryan to get a second head coaching job he had to maintain the illusion that he was a fantastic defensive coordinator at all costs. Our best hope at finding a franchise quarterback was thrown in the garbage so Rex Ryan could be a failure in Buffalo. 

Rex Ryan is The Devil. 

SAR I

The moment cotchery became expendable and replaced by mason, that season was shot. 

When you draft a qb at 5, you build the offense around him, Rex and Tanny broke it down. 

20 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

The moment cotchery became expendable and replaced by mason, that season was shot. 

When you draft a qb at 5, you build the offense around him, Rex and Tanny broke it down. 

Completely correct.

The Sanchez haters are fun.  They have this "he was carried by the defense" narrative but conveniently forget that in 2010 the Jets only went 11-5 because Mark Sanchez and the offense saved the overrated Rex Ryan defense on 5 occasions.  They should be duct taped, gagged, and thrown in a Jets beanbag chair and forced to watch the Texans, Broncos, Lions, Browns, and Steelers games all of which don't go the Jets way if not for Mark Sanchez' uncanny 4th quarter heroics.

The 2010 Jets defense played well enough to get us to 6-10.  Mark Sanchez led the offense to get us to 11-5, second best record in team history, leading directly to the epic wins at Indianapolis and at New England.

SAR I

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Like I've said a  million times in 2015 the NY Jets played the easiest schedule in the NFL beating all bottom feeder teams only beating 2 teams with winning records.

Ryan Fitzpatrick feasted off weak teams and lost to the good teams and when we needed him the most. 

Fact 

So let's recap.  Fitz gets no credit for 10 win season because you keep repeating they had an easy schedule.

You then blame him when the schedule gets difficult the following year.  To you 2015 and 2016 teams are equal in every way but strength of achedule.

Makes no sense on any level.

FACT

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Completely correct.

The Sanchez haters are fun.  They have this "he was carried by the defense" narrative but conveniently forget that in 2010 the Jets only went 11-5 because Mark Sanchez and the offense saved the overrated Rex Ryan defense on 5 occasions.  They should be duct taped, gagged, and thrown in a Jets beanbag chair and forced to watch the Texans, Broncos, Lions, Browns, and Steelers games all of which don't go the Jets way if not for Mark Sanchez' uncanny 4th quarter heroics.

The 2010 Jets defense played well enough to get us to 6-10.  Mark Sanchez led the offense to get us to 11-5, second best record in team history, leading directly to the epic wins at Indianapolis and at New England.

SAR I

Right again,  and in 2011 with diminished talent around him, he combined for 32 td's. Not bad for a guy with no talent. 

1 hour ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Right again,  and in 2011 with diminished talent around him, he combined for 32 td's. Not bad for a guy with no talent. 

So the whole league is wrong about him then?  Because no one is rushing to give him a #1 job anymore than they're rushing to give Geno a #1 job.

So, are Sanchez and Geno really awesome, as their fans like to make out, and the league collectively wrong?

1 hour ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Right.  And once again another fan has to dig deep to find reasons why one of the NFLs worst starting QB really wasn't that bad. 

32 TDs?  6 running?  INTs?  High number.

Completeion percentage?  Piss poor 56%

Yards?  Bottom of the NFL.

who cares?  He ran in 6 TDs!

These geno post are no longer interesting just funny & dumb. This guy played 2 yrs as starter. Wasn't a leader! Jets had to dummy up playbook for him because he was to stupid to learn it! He, played like sh*t when he played! Joe Namath right now could go in a game & play better then Gena smith

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Right.  And once again another fan has to dig deep to find reasons why one of the NFLs worst starting QB really wasn't that bad. 

32 TDs?  6 running?  INTs?  High number.

Completeion percentage?  Piss poor 56%

Yards?  Bottom of the NFL.

Piss and moan all you wish, he could have been a good qb had that front office and coach not screwed him up. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

So the whole league is wrong about him then?  Because no one is rushing to give him a #1 job anymore than they're rushing to give Geno a #1 job.

So, are Sanchez and Geno really awesome, as their fans like to make out, and the league collectively wrong?

That's today. I'm talking about six years ago, come on man.

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

We are reflecting on what might have been in 2012.  It's 2017.  Too late for Sanchez.  Pretty sure we're right about Geno.

SAR I

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

Completely correct.

SAR I

Is it really 4th quarter heroics if you're losing a low scoring game and it's only close because you didn't score for the first three quarters?

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

32 TDs?  6 running?

As a point of comparison, over his 5 year career Russell Wilson has averaged 25 TD's and 3 rushing TD's per year.

Takeaway being Mark Sanchez' 2011 season was no slouch.  He was improving from '09 to '10 to '11.  He had us at 8-5 into December.  There was no reason to hang him out to dry like that with Tebow and Gates and Schillenz and Sporano in 2012.  No reason to draft Geno Smith in 2013.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Is it really 4th quarter heroics if you're losing a low scoring game and it's only close because you didn't score for the first three quarters?

sanch2010_zpsl7ukg0tr.jpg

Nice theory, how about some facts.

All the 4th quarter comeback games had the Jets scoring in the mid-20's.

Look at the passing yards for the games in November, Sanchez passed for 327, 284, and 298 in the comebacks against the Lions, Browns, and Texans.

Now look at the defensive yards surrendered in these 5 games.  346, 306, 303, 343, 377.

Mark and the offense saved our ass in 2010, the brutal defense was underperforming and he turned a 6-10 failure into an 11-5 conquest.  Give the kid some credit. 

SAR I

31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We are reflecting on what might have been in 2012.  It's 2017.  Too late for Sanchez.  Pretty sure we're right about Geno.

SAR I

So you're doing a slight variation of the woulda (if fair chances), coulda (if only fans loved him), shoulda (with weaponz!) argument the Geno Fans engage in so often?

Well, I'll give you one small point of agreement...I'd rather have kept Sanchez, in hindsight, that draft Geno Smith.  Slight praise, but praise none-the-less.

So have the Giants signed Geno yet?

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Look at the passing yards for the games in November, Sanchez passed for 327, 284, and 298 in the comebacks against the Lions, Browns, and Texans.

Now look at the defensive yards surrendered in these 5 games.  346, 306, 303, 343, 377.

Mark and the offense saved our ass in 2010, the brutal defense was underperforming and he turned a 6-10 failure into an 11-5 conquest.  Give the kid some credit. 

SAR I

On my next Jet's questionnaire, I am writing you in for statistician.

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

After going to back-to-back AFC Championship Games, putting up a, 11-5 season, and going on an 18-4 run in that span, I don't recall a single Jets fan complaining about the quarterback position.

August 2011, Jets are an AFC elite team, we are spending the summer debating the idea of adding Asomugha as a luxury to put us over the top, no one is saying that Mark Sanchez is anything but a developing young stud of a franchise quarterback who has learned how to win, how to execute comebacks, how to elevate his game in the playoffs, how to fearlessly march in to Foxboro in January and outplay Tom Brady and embarrass Bill Belichick.

So that time did happen.  And, in typical Jets fashion, we blew it.

SAR I

You had blinders on there were plenty of people who were never fans of Sanchez and fully recognized he was along for the ride to some extent.

the fact the Jets had an error prone rookie Qb in those years was as much reason we never got a home field game or won a division.  He played quite well in a few of those playoff games and lousy in others.  The very moment he was asked to do more in the following years when we no longer had a top 6 or 7 oline, defense and running game and he fell flat on his ass in a most embarrassing fashion.

You are MASSIVELY overrating Sanchez's play and his roll on those teams.

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well, I'll give you one small point of agreement...I'd rather have kept Sanchez, in hindsight, that draft Geno Smith.  Slight praise, but praise none-the-less.

So have the Giants signed Geno yet?

Perfect.  Not looking for praise for Mark, however we don't talk enough about what a mistake it was drafting Geno and ejecting Mark.  Yeah, we talk about the Geno fail a lot, but not so much in the context of the decision that was made to get rid of a playoff winning quarterback with potential for a questionable guy who fell like a rock out of the first round.  If you ask me, that was the turning point from a perennial playoff contender to an also-ran.  And it was all so impulsive.  That's what hurts.  A guy who might be the worst GM in NFL history does a short stint here, takes a flyer on someone who was not on his radar, and it costs us everything, all the wasted years, other QB's we could have drafted, better HC's who might have been available in different years, it makes you sick.  Ryan and Idzik, these two also-ran sons of contributors to the '68 Super Bowl team lead to our ruin decades later.

Praying the Giants sign Geno every hour.  Waiting for the text from my son telling me the good news.

SAR I

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

Trust me, after seeing the Geno Smith Ryan Fitzpatrick sh*t show for the past 4 years, Jets fans would welcome back Mark Sanchez with open arms if only out of nostalgia and desperation.

You are completely out of touch with the Jets fanbase.  You think your oddball posts and awkward thoughts represent the millions of Jets fans out there and you couldn't be more wrong.  Have some fun in the forums, but don't for a minute think you know what the average fan in the stands thinks.  Because, you know, you never go to games.

SAR I

Speak for yourself.  

44 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Why are you claiming that the defense "giving up 306 yards" is some disaster? It's almost like you don't watch other teams play besides the Jets. In 2010 there were only three teams in the NFL (one of which was the Jets) who allowed less than 300 yards a game. Giving up 306 yards in a game is excellent.

The idea that Mark Sanchez "saved our ass" is absolute insanity. Was he "saving our ass" when he was scoring 10 or fewer points 4 times? That's atrocious.

Yeah, let's praise the guy because he had miraculous "come from behind wins" against bottom feeders like the Cleveland Browns in a game we should have won going away.

Here is reality -- the Jets were 3rd in YPG and 6th in PPG defensively. The Jets lost 5 games all year -- in four of them they scored 10 or fewer points. When the offense was decent we rarely loss, the one aberration being the Bears game.

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You had blinders on there were plenty of people who were never fans of Sanchez and fully recognized he was along for the ride to some extent.

the fact the Jets had an error prone rookie Qb in those years was as much reason we never got a home field game or won a division.  He played quite well in a few of those playoff games and lousy in others.  The very moment he was asked to do more in the following years when we no longer had a top 6 or 7 oline, defense and running game and he fell flat on his ass in a most embarrassing fashion.

You are MASSIVELY overrating Sanchez's play and his roll on those teams.

The thing that you and other Jets fans completely overlook time and time again is how the team was built to win.

The Rex Ryan Jets were very clearly built around a Top 5 defense and a Top 5 ground and pound running attack.  There is no question about this.  That means that all the good draft picks and all the quality free agents and all the cap money was spent in the quest to deliver those objectives.  Big D.  Power running game.

And everything was working well in '09 and '10 and even into '11, but when those two initiatives failed, ah, that's when they had to turn to the passing game and ask it to do things it was not constructed to do.  Mark Sanchez was never a guy who could throw the ball 50 times a game and be successful, and certainly not with the under funded WR's and TE's he was left with.  Even safety nets like Tomlinson and Washington who could turn a bail-out flip pass into a 15 yard completion were gone.  Keller was hurt.  Holmes was old and doubled.  Chaz Schillenz and Clyde Gates and Stephen Hill shouldn't have even been in the league.

When you're an NFL team without a franchise quarterback, you try to win on a Big D and a power running game.  And if you have a quarterback who is good enough to make the proper decisions, complete 20 passes for 250 yards and 2 TD's, you can win a lot of games.  Mark Sanchez was no Tom Brady but he was a great, affordable young quarterback for a team that was built to win a very specific way.  When the D fell apart and the RB couldn't run and we were down by 10 points every game, Mark had to throw the ball way too often and he didn't have Plaxico Burress, Braylon Edwards, Ladanian Tomlinson, Dustin Keller, Jericho Cotchery, et al to help him, well, no surprise he couldn't.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The thing that you and other Jets fans completely overlook time and time again is how the team was built to win.

The Rex Ryan Jets were very clearly built around a Top 5 defense and a Top 5 ground and pound running attack.  There is no question about this.  That means that all the good draft picks and all the quality free agents and all the cap money was spent in the quest to deliver those objectives.  Big D.  Power running game.

And everything was working well in '09 and '10 and even into '11, but when those two initiatives failed, ah, that's when they had to turn to the passing game and ask it to do things it was not constructed to do.  Mark Sanchez was never a guy who could throw the ball 50 times a game and be successful, and certainly not with the under funded WR's and TE's he was left with.  Even safety nets like Tomlinson and Washington who could turn a bail-out flip pass into a 15 yard completion were gone.  Keller was hurt.  Holmes was old and doubled.  Chaz Schillenz and Clyde Gates and Stephen Hill shouldn't have even been in the league.

When you're an NFL team without a franchise quarterback, you try to win on a Big D and a power running game.  And if you have a quarterback who is good enough to make the proper decisions, complete 20 passes for 250 yards and 2 TD's, you can win a lot of games.  Mark Sanchez was no Tom Brady but he was a great, affordable young quarterback for a team that was built to win a very specific way.  When the D fell apart and the RB couldn't run and we were down by 10 points every game, Mark had to throw the ball way too often and he didn't have Plaxico Burress, Braylon Edwards, Ladanian Tomlinson, Dustin Keller, Jericho Cotchery, et al to help him, well, no surprise he couldn't.

SAR I

No I know exactly how they were built to win.  they were built to win just as you say except for one thing.  Instead of bringing in a Trent dilfer, Brad johnson, type  A vet who could run an offense, not make hair brained mistakes and be consistent they brought in an error prone rookie who could flash some really good play mixed in a with a whole lot of bad plays and inconsistency.  The type were it was pretty well guaranteed he would not have 3 or 4 good games in a row.

That is where REx Ryan and Tanny fouled up.

49 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Why are you claiming that the defense "giving up 306 yards" is some disaster? It's almost like you don't watch other teams play besides the Jets. In 2010 there were only three teams in the NFL (one of which was the Jets) who allowed less than 300 yards a game. Giving up 306 yards in a game is excellent.

The idea that Mark Sanchez "saved our ass" is absolute insanity. Was he "saving our ass" when he was scoring 10 or fewer points 4 times? That's atrocious.

Yeah, let's praise the guy because he had miraculous "come from behind wins" against bottom feeders like the Cleveland Browns in a game we should have won going away.

Here is reality -- the Jets were 3rd in YPG and 6th in PPG defensively. The Jets lost 5 games all year -- in four of them they scored 10 or fewer points. When the offense was decent we rarely loss, the one aberration being the Bears game.

I never viewed a defense giving up 146 yards on the ground and 200 in the air as having a great game.  It's a foregone conclusion that a Rex Ryan defense throws up strong stats but they never manage to close out a game or dominate as advertised.

4 of the Jets 5 losses were to the Ravens (12-4), Packers (10-6), Bears (11-5) and Patriots (14-2) no shame in that against those defenses.  The outlier loss to the Dolphins was on the running game, 87 yards on 31 attempts, Sanchez was forced to throw 44 times and he threw a pick, just a dog of a game all around, Mark included.

Either way, in 2010 the Jets were trailing in the 4th quarter in tight games 5 times and all 5 times 23 year old Mark Sanchez brought us back from oblivion with a huge game winning drive, 3 of them with must-have TD's, the others with FG's, his QB bootleg against the Steelers was the play of the year and set us on a course to playoff upsets at the Colts and at the Patriots, vanquished Manning and Brady, one of the all-time high points in Jets history.  No defense 'carried' Mark Sanchez.  He was just as valuable as any player on the defense let alone squad as a whole.  That defense was supposed generate points, generate field position, shut down opponents.  They rarely did.  And when they struggled, Mark and Santonio and Ladanian bailed them out.

SAR I

In this case , I agree with Sar.  The Jets biggest mistake was to let Pete Kendall walk. Rex was too stubborn to abandon a running game that no longer worked and this forced Sanchez into horrible situations that he was not suited to. They added insult to injury by decimating the wr core after that.

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No I know exactly how they were built to win.  they were built to win just as you say except for one thing.  Instead of bringing in a Trent dilfer, Brad johnson, type  A vet who could run an offense, not make hair brained mistakes and be consistent they brought in an error prone rookie who could flash some really good play mixed in a with a whole lot of bad plays and inconsistency.  The type were it was pretty well guaranteed he would not have 3 or 4 good games in a row.

That is where REx Ryan and Tanny fouled up.

20092010_zpsmjiea5ss.jpg

First off, the kid was 22 years old and should have been a college senior, not leading a win-now NFL team enroute to the AFC Finals.

Once Mark Sanchez shook off the rookie cobwebs, he assembled the greatest run in team history, going 16-4, playing very well for someone of his age and experience.

As far as playing consistently, wrong again, in his first two seasons he won 3 games in a row 3x, 4 games in a row 2x, and 5 games in a row 1x.  Boy, what a sh*tty quarterback.  We were so lucky to lose him.  Things have been fantastic since he was punted out of town.

SAR I

3 hours ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Piss and moan all you wish, he could have been a good qb had that front office and coach not screwed him up. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

You're right. We're allowed our own opinions.  After you try to make the case that I'm just pissing and moaning.  

Poor Mark.  Doesnt get any of the blame.  It's the GM, FO, HC etc.  The story of his career.  Jets, Eagles,, Broncos...they all screwed him in the end.  Face facts, he washed out.  6 rushing TDs included

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

As a point of comparison, over his 5 year career Russell Wilson has averaged 25 TD's and 3 rushing TD's per year.

Takeaway being Mark Sanchez' 2011 season was no slouch.  He was improving from '09 to '10 to '11.  He had us at 8-5 into December.  There was no reason to hang him out to dry like that with Tebow and Gates and Schillenz and Sporano in 2012.  No reason to draft Geno Smith in 2013.

SAR I

You keep making the same mistake.  It's a team game.  Some QBs benefit from playing on a good team and are carried.  Others lead.  Sanchez was an overhyped mediocre QB who played on a good team, best OL, best Run game, best defense and some just don't see it for what it was 

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You keep making the same mistake.  It's a team game.  Some QBs benefit from playing on a good team and are carried.  Others lead.  Sanchez was an overhyped mediocre QB who played on a good team, best OL, best Run game, best defense and some just don't see it for what it was 

And your point was proven when all of those assets were taken away and Sanchez regressed.

You can't debate that because that is fact.

Archived