All Charges against Revis Dropped

JetsFanatic

49 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Why?  Because we don't support the myth that the best Jet of our generation was known for running around the field doing nothing and making no plays?

SAR I

No because anyone who not only believes this but keeps saying it is an awful fan who just doesnt understand the game

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SAR I said:

If this tangent of the conversation was discussing how Darrelle Revis was a very good cornerback we would be in agreement.  But to make the Jets Ring Of Honor and the NFL Hall Of Fame, one needs to be a great player, a transcendent player, and Darrelle Revis was neither of these things.

He is a one-dimensional cornerback.  And that's just not enough for the ROH or the HOF.  Shut down coverage is only half the assignment.  Interceptions.  Forced fumbles.  Sacks.  His numbers in those areas are pathetic.  So he can't be in the pantheon of NFL cornerbacks.  He merely was very good.

SAR I

SAR I who is your favorite all time NY Jet and who is your favorite current player on the Jets?

If this tangent of the conversation was discussing how Darrelle Revis was a very good cornerback we would be in agreement.  But to make the Jets Ring Of Honor and the NFL Hall Of Fame, one needs to be a great player, a transcendent player, and Darrelle Revis was neither of these things.
He is a one-dimensional cornerback.  And that's just not enough for the ROH or the HOF.  Shut down coverage is only half the assignment.  Interceptions.  Forced fumbles.  Sacks.  His numbers in those areas are pathetic.  So he can't be in the pantheon of NFL cornerbacks.  He merely was very good.
SAR I

The fact that you said we gave up 27 points a game in 2009 is beyond me. We gave up the fewest total points in the entire league! You're talking out of your ass.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, goober36 said:

When we had a top 3 defense right? And our quarterback was mark Sanchez right?

You're talking complete stupidity. I'm done

Darrelle Revis was carried by the rest of the defense.  Think about it.  If opponents never threw at him, if he barely made a tackle per game, if he forced a turnover but once a season, how did he contribute?

In 2009 the Jets secondary gave up 200 yards passing in 6 games.  In the AFC Championship Game, the Jets secondary gave up 360 yards to Peyton Manning.  So what was Darrelle Revis' purpose except making it easier on opposing offensive coordinators who had a week to devise a gameplan to flood the other side of the field and exploit us?

Ray Lewis as a MLB can attack a quarterback, stuff the run, create an incompletion, make an interception.  Darrelle Revis as a CB could shut down 1 out of 11 players.  Not nearly the same thing.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, goober36 said:

The fact that you said we gave up 27 points a game in 2009 is beyond me. We gave up the fewest total points in the entire league! You're talking out of your ass.

I specifically said that during the 1-6 stretch in the middle of the supposedly defensively-dominant 2009 season the Jets gave up a ton of points and Revis didn't contribute or turn losses into wins.

Learn to read before you type.

SAR I

Darrelle Revis was carried by the rest of the defense.  Think about it.  If opponents never threw at him, if he barely made a tackle per game, if he forced a turnover but once a season, how did he contribute?
In 2009 the Jets secondary gave up 200 yards passing in 6 games.  In the AFC Championship Game, the Jets secondary gave up 360 yards to Peyton Manning.  So what was Darrelle Revis' purpose except making it easier on opposing offensive coordinators who had a week to devise a gameplan to flood the other side of the field and exploit us?
Ray Lewis as a MLB can attack a quarterback, stuff the run, create an incompletion, make an interception.  Darrelle Revis as a CB could shut down 1 out of 11 players.  Not nearly the same thing.
SAR I

I'm trying to think about it and I'm not grasping what you're saying...the jets defense carries revis? Lol, shouldn't it be the other way around. Don't you think if you would have a better chance of winning if you shut down a number one scoring option for 60 minutes.

And if I recall you mentioned that the number 2,3,4 options were always open. So how can you go against your statement and tell me the Jets defense carried Revis

44 minutes ago, SAR I said:

CB Rod Woodson had 71 career interceptions.  Darrelle Revis has 29.

CB Charles Tillman had 43 forced fumbles.  Darrelle Revis has 4.

CB Ronde Barber had 28 sacks.  Darrelle Revis has 2.

Hall Of Fame!  He's the greatest!

Yeah, if the NFL had a stat called "run around and do just enough to force quarterbacks to feast on the other side of the field".

SAR I

He had a cool nickname 

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I specifically said that during the 1-6 stretch in the middle of the season the Jets gave up a ton of points and Revis didn't contribute or turn losses into wins.

Learn to read before you type.

SAR I

I just want to be clear, you're talking about te same period of time when Mark Sanchez threw 6 TDs and threw 14 interceptions?

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No because anyone who not only believes this but keeps saying it is an awful fan who just doesnt understand the game

Understand the game?  I fully comprehend that his technique and coverage ability were league-best for several years of his career.  I understand the argument that Darrelle Revis was great at that, that he was on an island and defended it through body positioning.  I get all of this.

But Deion Sanders, as one example, was a great cover corner too.  He was a blanket in his day, more speed than technique, but QB's dared not throw it his way.

Yet Deion had 53 interceptions and Revis only 29.

One is an epic defender and playmaker.  The other is an epic cover corner.  That's the difference.  Compare Darelle to Darrell Green, Champ Bailey, Mel Blount, Rod Woodson, he's not in their league.  They managed to neutralize WR1 and make gamechanging plays.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I just want to be clear, you're talking about te same period of time when Mark Sanchez threw 6 TDs and threw 14 interceptions?

Yes.

Look up the motley crew of quarterbacks Ronde Barber and Champ Bailey played with.  They managed to dominate in games, even if their quarterbacks were playing like ass.

If the NFL made a 30 For 30 documentary of Darrelle Revis' best plays, you'd see 2 interceptions and then 28 minutes of him running around against WR's who were not in the gameplan.  That's not excellence. 

SAR I

Understand the game?  I fully comprehend that his technique and coverage ability were league-best for several years of his career.  I understand the argument that Darrelle Revis was great at that, that he was on an island and defended it through body positioning.  I get all of this.
But Deion Sanders, as one example, was a great cover corner too.  He was a blanket in his day, more speed than technique, but QB's dared not throw it his way.
One is an epic defender and playmaker.  The other is an epic cover corner.  That's the difference.  Compare Darelle to Darrell Green, Champ Bailey, Mel Blount, Rod Woodson, he's not in their league.  They managed to neutralize WR1 and make gamechanging plays.
SAR I

And did you understand the game back then? If I recall, you were actually allowed to touch WRs.

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

He had a cool nickname 

Yes, no doubt.  Night Train Lane may have been better, but I'll give him the Island.

Now that you mention it, the nickname, actually, is what made Darrelle Revis 'great'.  If you step back and look at the big picture, his major accomplishment was creating the perception that there was no point in throwing the ball on his third of the field and getting the opponents WR1 written out of the gameplan. 

Is psyching-out an offensive coordinator through the media Hall Of Fame worthy?  Is following Marvin Harrison as he slow jogs around the field thinking about not making a single block or having to shower after the game while Peyton Manning shreds Antoino Cromartie an immortal accomplishment?

SAR I

5 minutes ago, goober36 said:

And did you understand the game back then? If I recall, you were actually allowed to touch WRs.

Yup, and CB's were expected to hit, and tackle, and force fumbles, and intimidate, and play hurt, and give 200%, and lead by example, all things Darrelle Revis does not do.

You don't want to go down the "nasty aggressive intimidatior" path, goobs.  Darrelle Revis is analogous to a ballet dancer.  Great technique.  Clean leotard.

SAR I

Yup, and CB's were expected to hit, and tackle, and force fumbles, and intimidate, and play hurt, and give 200%, and lead by example, all things Darrelle Revis does not do.
You don't want to go down the "nasty aggressive intimidatior" path, goobs.  Darrelle Revis is analogous to a ballet dancer.  Great technique.  Clean leotard.
SAR I

So how much you wanna bet he's going to become a HoF. I'd put my life savings on it

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes, no doubt.  Night Train Lane may have been better, but I'll give him the Island.

Now that you mention it, the nickname, actually, is what made Darrelle Revis 'great'.  If you step back and look at the big picture, his major accomplishment was creating the perception that there was no point in throwing the ball on his third of the field and getting the opponents WR1 written out of the gameplan. 

Is psyching-out an offensive coordinator through the media Hall Of Fame worthy?  Is following Marvin Harrison as he slow jogs around the field thinking about not making a single block or having to shower after the game while Peyton Manning shreds Antoino Cromartie an immortal accomplishment?

SAR I

Revis would kill it on dancing with the stars. 

48 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Revis is the most overrated player to ever wear a jets jersey 

When you're a 4 time all pro, 7 time pro-bowler, a one AFC DPOY, and a SB champ, you're not really an overrated player. 

2 minutes ago, j4jets said:

When you're a 4 time all pro, 7 time pro-bowler, a one AFC DPOY, and a SB champ, you're not really an overrated player. 

Unless you feel SOME of those all pro and pro bowl years were mostly based on name recognition and not actual difference making 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

That may very well be the stupidest thing uttered on any Jets board ever.

47 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Unless you feel SOME of those all pro and pro bowl years were mostly based on name recognition and not actual difference making 

You're out of your mind. All-Pro isn't about name recognition. If it was, Revis would've been an All-Pro every single season. 

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I who is your favorite all time NY Jet and who is your favorite current player on the Jets?

I really don't have any favorite Jets, I root for the laundry, not specific players.  But if I had to pick just one all time favorite and one current favorite:

Wayne Chrebet:  No one worked harder than this guy.  I'm a huge fan of players giving the type of effort a fan would give if given the chance and this undrafted pipsqueak was incredible.  Basically created the blueprint for the types of WR's Tom Brady is going to the Hall Of Fame with like Edelman, Welker, etc.

Leonard Williams:  The inverse of Chrebet, a high profile defender from a big school taken in the first round, but plays with Wayne's passion, heart, and drive.  Has every excuse to fall into the Wilkerson/Richardson/Geno groove yet rises above and sets a better example than those veterans.  Only just beginning, it's going to be exciting to watch him grow into the team leader and perennial All Pro.

To me, it's all about effort.  That's the takeaway that took us from Kotite doormats to Parcells contenders, it's what makes the Patriots so much better than everyone else.  They really care and they really try hard.  They're not cashing checks.  They're trying to win Championships.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

When Sanders played the QBs threw the ball down the field. These days it is a quick slant \ 3 step drop league. I don't have #s obviously but I wonder how many times Sanders was thrown at 20 yards down the field vs Revis.

I also wonder, I don't know, if interceptions are down across the league.

I don't remember seeing 40 TD 10 Int QBs when I was a kid. Seems to happen all the time now. Except to the Jets.

A big part of the "Revis Legacy" is that he spent most of his career playing opposite bad CB's.

So bad, in fact, that opposing QB's never needed to test Revis.

Revis wasn't and isn't a HOF for defending passes thrown his way, or making INT's and winning games.  The guy only saw like 6 passes sent to his guy a game, and 3 were for completions (and damn few went for INT's). 

He's going to go into the HOF for his reputation and the poor play of his teammates eliminating anyone having to test him.

It's like calling a Left oUtside LB a HOF'er because no one ever ran his way.....because his teams Right Outside Linebacker sucked and could be run on all day long.

Revis is one of the greatest maketing > reality in NFL history.  The second opposing QB's started testing Revis, the whole Island concept was dead.  

It's sad a legit HOF'er who had to work at it every day like Klecko gets ignored, but Pay-Me'vis will stroll in on the back of a reputation and cute nickname. 

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You make a strong argument that is validated by Revis' LACK of formidable statistics when juxtaposed with the likes of R. Woodson, Dianna Sanders, Champ Bailey, R. Woodson, Aeneas Williams, hell even Darrell Green (longevity) etc.  

Revis was Great but never had the constant  IMPACT PLAY to win a GAME or ICE a game in the SAME way you mentioned in earlier posts.  I recall 2 or 3 myself. SO I can understand your point but it's a baseless argument because when you factor in SEEING Revis play and KNOWING he DID affect the game by restricting 1/2 the field despite the #'s to demonstrate it; Revis was special and those ALIVE to have witnessed him WILL vote him on as a 1st ballot HOF, even though his numbers don't compare to there Great DBs in the Canton. 

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A big part of the "Revis Legacy" is that he spent most of his career playing opposite bad CB's.

Revis wasn't and isn't a HOF for defending passes thrown his way, or making INT's and winning games.  The guy only saw like 6 passes sent to his guy a game, and 3 were for completions (and damn few went for INT's). 

He's going to go into the HOF for his reputation and the poor play of his teammates eliminating anyone having to test him.

It's like calling a Left oUtside LB a HOF'er because no one ever ran his way.....because his teams Right Outside Linebacker sucked and could be run on all day long.

Revis is one of the greatest maketing > reality in NFL history.  The second opposing QB's started testing Revis, the whole Island concept was dead.  

It's sad a legit HOF'er who had to work at it every day like Klecko gets ignored, but Pay-Me'vis will stroll in on the back of a reputation and cute nickname. 

Yes and No. 

Because one CREATES and BUILDS a REPUTATION with backing it up OVER a period of time. Revis did so in 2007 and 2008, that by 2009 he was an All-Pro. Then along comes the Snake Oil Salesman's (another "defensive reputation" exposed after a few years as HC)  marketing pitch and Revis, ALONG with his 2007, 2008, and 2009 body of work, ESTABLISHED a reputation that QBs were too Pu$$y to test and thus established a MYTH regarding Revis. 

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

When Sanders played the QBs threw the ball down the field. These days it is a quick slant \ 3 step drop league. I don't have #s obviously but I wonder how many times Sanders was thrown at 20 yards down the field vs Revis.

I also wonder, I don't know, if interceptions are down across the league.

I don't remember seeing 40 TD 10 Int QBs when I was a kid. Seems to happen all the time now. Except to the Jets.

Good points, and in today's NFL it means that there are less true WR1's out there for a Revis type to make sense for a defense.  We're not playing in the Terry Bradshaw Lynn Swan Troy Aikman Michael Irvin era, very few teams had QB's with cannon arms and WR's with blazing speed that needed Revis' type of specialized neutralization.

Just look at the Patriots and Falcons.  They kill you in the air because they aren't dependent upon a single receiver.  They mix it up constantly.  WRs, TEs, RBs, slants, crosses, options, on a given play it almost doesn't matter who the top WR is, someone was going to get open against the Jets because as good as Revis was our LB's and S's and other CB's can't keep up.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Agree with it all, but I think the HOF voters know what's what and he's not getting in.  And not so much because of his personality or lack of leadership.  But because he simply isn't as good as many of his contemporaries or his predecessors.  CB is one of the most athletic positions on the field, these guys can turn a game around with an interception or a strip and Revis just simply ignored or disregarded that part of his game.

To be a legendary CB you have to be tested and make big plays.  Get that arm in there at the last second and break up a sure completion.  Get beat, make a brilliant adjustment, make an impossible interception.  Revis was rarely tested, and when he caused an incompletion it was because of his body positioning, not because of his speed or hands.  Its like he never tried to make a play on a ball, he committed only to preventing a completion, it's like Pennington having a high completion percentage because he led the league in taking sacks and losses, didn't want to throw the ball away.  It's a smart way to build a reputation and get notoriety but it doesn't mean it was smart football.

SAR I

44 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

You make a strong argument that is validated by Revis' LACK of formidable statistics when juxtaposed with the likes of R. Woodson, Dianna Sanders, Champ Bailey, R. Woodson, Aeneas Williams, hell even Darrell Green (longevity) etc.  

Revis was Great but never had the constant  IMPACT PLAY to win a GAME or ICE a game in the SAME way you mentioned in earlier posts.  I recall 2 or 3 myself. SO I can understand your point but it's a baseless argument because when you factor in SEEING Revis play and KNOWING he DID affect the game by restricting 1/2 the field despite the #'s to demonstrate it; Revis was special and those ALIVE to have witnessed him WILL vote him on as a 1st ballot HOF, even though his numbers don't compare to there Great DBs in the Canton. 

I can't disagree with much of what you say, and yes, Revis was special in his uncanny ability to erase WR1 week after week.

But I think of a hockey forward who doesn't try to score and is just a brilliant passer.  Or a basketball player who can hit 3s but never blocks a shot.  Or a baseball player who only hits for contact because he won't risk a strikeout attempting a long ball.  A racecar driver who is money on the straightaways but gets killed in the corners.  To make a sport's Hall Of Fame you have to do it all, you have to excel at every aspect of your craft.

If Darrelle Revis was the greatest blanket in the league but generated no turnovers and saw very limited targets and as a result his team still got burned regularly through the air, what did he accomplish?  What was the point?  If we had 2 Cromartie's, for example.  We'd have given up a few more completions a game but we'd have 3x the interceptions.  Sometimes a QB likes to go to his WR1 more than he should and that's when mistakes occur, you get a turnover.  Revis forced opposing QB's to be disciplined and spread the ball around elsewhere and that played to the Jets weaknesses, not our strengths. 

So it's not just numbers.  It's the fact that he didn't change the face of the game or even his franchise.  His skillset didn't translate to anything special in a league where one top WR isn't much of a weapon anymore.

SAR I

The way Revis played the game he was never going to thrive in glory stats. You got to understand that he is one of the only players to play Man to man with NO help over the top. When you're put on an island like that you aren't going to attract the pretty stats, know matter who you are.

When you're 5"10/5"11 going up against speedy 6"3+ receivers by yourself, you're not going to attract many interceptions. You have to understand the role he was given.

If you focus on his role, he averaged the most pass defended year in and year out.

Archived