This is the scenario on draft night...

JetFanatic

On 4/5/2017 at 6:49 PM, varjet said:

For this pick, Jamal Adams is clearly the best player and most likely star.  OJ Howard is a close second, but some question his NFL game.  Adams just ran a 4.3something.  He is a football player.  He is going to be a star, definteily.

I have been pounding the table for Adams or Fournette, but since in this scenario Fournette is gone, Adams is the man. Hard hitter that can cover a TE and play the run strong. He IS what Calvin Pryor was supposed to be but ISN'T.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

This is my preference:

1.  Trade down

2.  Adams, although I do not disagree with folks who chose Solomon here.

For a pure pass rusher Derek Barnett of Tennessee is a sack artist. Won't be much in coverage but he can get after the passer with the best of them.

I think in retrospect, after Garrett the teams that will be perceived as getting good players will be those who pick after 10.  Before 10, there is too much pressure to pick a future star, and the combine stuff tends to take precedence over actual football play.

This is the Vernon Gholston Phenomena.  Gholston was not a Mike Haight "What they heck did they just do" pick.  Everyone expected the Jets to take Gholston there.  He was viewed as the last of the "elite athletes" left.  The Jets fell into the trap.  The Patriots were even making noise to take him (an obvious smokescreen).

Were the Jets to end up with a Derek Barnett, or a Charles Harris, in the first round, that would be great.  They can also draft Budda Baker and/or Jabril Peppers at safety.  Those are the guys I want on my team.  But no one in this paragraph is deemed an acceptable pick at 6.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think in retrospect, after Garrett the teams that will be perceived as getting good players will be those who pick after 10.  Before 10, there is too much pressure to pick a future star, and the combine stuff tends to take precedence over actual football play.

This is the Vernon Gholston Phenomena.  Gholston was not a Mike Haight "What they heck did they just do" pick.  Everyone expected the Jets to take Gholston there.  He was viewed as the last of the "elite athletes" left.  The Jets fell into the trap.  The Patriots were even making noise to take him (an obvious smokescreen).

Were the Jets to end up with a Derek Barnett, or a Charles Harris, in the first round, that would be great.  They can also draft Budda Baker and/or Jabril Peppers at safety.  Those are the guys I want on my team.  But no one in this paragraph is deemed an acceptable pick at 6.

Why exactly are those players not worthy. If Barrett turns into an all pro, will it matter where he was drafted  ? The Jets were ready to pay 13 mil per for an ILB half this board didn't think was worth it, but a player like Harris isn't worth half that because of perceived value .

Wanna know how I measure value ?

What effect will this player have on my team long term if what I think I see shows up .

18 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

For a pure pass rusher Derek Barnett of Tennessee is a sack artist. Won't be much in coverage but he can get after the passer with the best of them.

I will take a look.  I am not familiar with him.  Thanks for the tip.  :)

On 4/8/2017 at 2:00 AM, SR24 said:

Adams or Howard at 6. If not trade down, It's that simple

simple? You assume that there will be teams who want to trade up to #6..  You ignore the very real possibility (like the year we picked Leo) that there will be few or no willing trade-back partners. There may not be any.

Everyone says "trade-back".  With whom exactly?  

Just now, Dcat said:

simple? You assume that there will be teams who want to trade up to #6..  You ignore the very real possibility (like the year we picked Leo) that there will be willing trade-back partners when there may not be any.

Everyone says "trade-back".  With whom exactly?  

Odds are Howard or Adams will be there at #6. If they aren't and you can trade down then you have too, If you can't find someone to trade down with then I think Mike Williams makes the most sense. Although WR is one of our more talented positions, adding Williams allows us to move Decker without as much hesitation. Rumors have been going around that the Browns are planning on taking Garret #1 and are trying to move back up from #12 to take Trubisky. Hopefully that's true and we can trade with them and still hopefully get Howard

14 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Why exactly are those players not worthy. If Barrett turns into an all pro, will it matter where he was drafted  ? The Jets were ready to pay 13 mil per for an ILB half this board didn't think was worth it, but a player like Harris isn't worth half that because of perceived value .

Wanna know how I measure value ?

What effect will this player have on my team long term if what I think I see shows up .

Barnett is easily worth a pick at 6. It wouldn't even be a reach like Lattimore or Hooker would be.  Barnett has just as much potential as those 2 do, but he'd actually contribute right away. Also he's not an injury case like those 2. 

Jets board should hopefully look something like this.

1)Garrett, 2)Howard, 3) Williams, 4) Davis, 5) Barnett, 6)Thomas

Taking a safety at 6 is stupid. Adams is a great kid and smart and a leader.  But he's a limited range safety. Wait until the 3rd or 4th and get Eddie Jackson, John Johnson or Josh Jones.

On 4/5/2017 at 8:50 PM, JetFanatic said:

That's questionable.  Keep in mind Hackenberg was supposed to be red-shirted this year no matter what.  No one knows what this kid is going to do this season.  And yes I easily pass up on QBs to select potential All Pro players.  If they were to pick Trubisky at #6 they're passing up on at the very least players like Hooker and Howard and Williams and maybe Fournette and maybe Adams.  I don't know if I'm okay with that without knowing what we have in Petty and Hackenberg.  Give whoever wins out the battle in camp a season to see what they can do.  If they both suck it up then go with the QB in 2018 knowing for sure that these guys already on the roster are not the answer.  We can't keep passing up on talent to keep fishing for a QB.  If there's not one worthy of a top pick then load your team up with talent around the future QB.

Yes, yes, yes. There is no definitive proof that Watson, Trubisky or any of the other QB's in this draft are better than Petty or Hackenberg. Hackenberg has got to be given the keys in OTA's and training camp. All the way to pre season games to get a gauge on where he is. It is a rebuilding year and no one expects the Jets to go 10-6, so let the young QB's battle it out. I totally agree. Build the foundation with guys like Adams or Howard and develop the QB's you have.

59 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Barnett is easily worth a pick at 6. It wouldn't even be a reach like Lattimore or Hooker would be.  Barnett has just as much potential as those 2 do, but he'd actually contribute right away. Also he's not an injury case like those 2. 

Jets board should hopefully look something like this.

1)Garrett, 2)Howard, 3) Williams, 4) Davis, 5) Barnett, 6)Thomas

Taking a safety at 6 is stupid. Adams is a great kid and smart and a leader.  But he's a limited range safety. Wait until the 3rd or 4th and get Eddie Jackson, John Johnson or Josh Jones.

Personally, I think the Jets could live with Doug Middleton at FS for a yr while David Jones from Richmond get acclimated to the speed of the NFL and the competition level . The big problem is Pryor, but since getting rid of him does nothing for us this year, we're going to have to live with him at SS for another yr and hope we can find his replacement

6 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Personally, I think the Jets could live with Doug Middleton at FS for a yr while David Jones from Richmond get acclimated to the speed of the NFL and the competition level . The big problem is Pryor, but since getting rid of him does nothing for us this year, we're going to have to live with him at SS for another yr and hope we can find his replacement

Since the goal of the year is development and not winning....who cares?  Live with Pryor. Trade him. It doesn't matter. Lets get critical positions drafted and developed.  Finding our next safety duo and RB and Center are not real priorities.  Those are all very easy to come by if you want to prioritize the position in any draft.  If a good player is there at one of those spots on the 3rd day...then sure....go for it. Otherwise don't even worry about it.

On 4/8/2017 at 11:27 AM, Savage69 said:

They had only 3 picks in 2009 and all were Offense..The other 2 were Greene and Slauson RB and Guard..

Yup. I'd like to see them go offense this year but the pattern of late has been defense. I'd be good with Jamal Adams on defense at #6 if he is still there.

On 4/5/2017 at 6:59 PM, flgreen said:

I just don't understand all the love that Trubisky, and Watson are getting.  

Trubisky has played 13 games, and would have the 3rd strongest arm on the team behind Hack and Petty, Watson can run, but has no ball velocity at all.  Don't get it.

Plus, some weird 3rd sight keeps flashing Brett Favre in my head every time Mahomes is mentioned. It's weird. Somebody upstairs is trying to tell me something I think.

I think Watson is more likely to go in the second round than second overall. I wouldn't refer to his arm as extremely weak, but I'm concerned that it's not an NFL arm. He's thrown a lot of interceptions in college, and less than ideal velocity leads to more interceptions in the pros. If the Jets don't think any qb is worth the #6 overall (and I don't), I hope they pass on the position all draft in a weak class. 

I realize that too much emphasis on positional value leads to taking Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed, but I'd still lean towards the top pass rusher on the board at #6 over the safeties, tight end, or running backs. If it's Thomas, it'd be nice if Bowles could develop an imagination and run a 4-3. Lee could be an OLB in the 4-3 without an issue. 

14 hours ago, HessStation said:

I'm actually not advocating the Jets take him, I'm just saying he'll be the best of this underwhelming lot.

but still. I'm totes convinced 

Considering that Watson is heralded as the best QB in the class, and has an arm velocity of 49, and Mahomes has the strongest arm in years at 60, it's not a reach to think that if Mahomes matures in 3 years he could very well be the best QB in this class.

With that said I am aware that arm strength isn't a guarantee that a player will be good, but it sure is a step in the right direction 

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Considering that Watson is heralded as the best QB in the class, and has an arm velocity of 49, and Mahomes has the strongest arm in years at 60, it's not a reach to think that if Mahomes matures in 3 years he could very well be the best QB in this class.

With that said I am aware that arm strength isn't a guarantee that a player will be good, but it sure is a step in the right direction 

watson is not heralded as the clear best qb in this class.  some say trubisky, some say mahomes and other say kizer has the most upside.  

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I think Watson is more likely to go in the second round than second overall. I wouldn't refer to his arm as extremely weak, but I'm concerned that it's not an NFL arm. He's thrown a lot of interceptions in college, and less than ideal velocity leads to more interceptions in the pros. If the Jets don't think any qb is worth the #6 overall (and I don't), I hope they pass on the position all draft in a weak class. 

I realize that too much emphasis on positional value leads to taking Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed, but I'd still lean towards the top pass rusher on the board at #6 over the safeties, tight end, or running backs. If it's Thomas, it'd be nice if Bowles could develop an imagination and run a 4-3. Lee could be an OLB in the 4-3 without an issue. 

So Jets trade down from #6 (gaining a late 2nd and a 5th) to the mid-1st.

Draft Mike Williams (WR) at ~15

Draft Deshaun Watson (QB) at ~37

Draft a CB (say, Fabian Moreau or Ahkello Witherspoon as an example) with Late 2nd

Draft OL (say, Roderick Johnson for example) with Early 3rd

Go BAP at OL/CB/Safety/TE with 2x 5th, 6th and 7th

Sounds good to me.  A likely legit #1 WR (unlike our crop of hyped up UDFA WR's), a QB to legit push Hack/Likely Replace Hack as a #1, two Cornerbacks, two O-linemen, a TE and a Safety?

If only we could get a draft focused on offense like that.  Sadly, I fully expect us to go Safety, LB, CB, Safety and maybe we'll get a TE late, knowing this team.

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So Jets trade down from #6 (gaining a late 2nd and a 5th) to the mid-1st.

Draft Mike Williams (WR) at ~15

Draft Deshaun Watson (QB) at ~37

Draft a CB (say, Fabian Moreau or Ahkello Witherspoon as an example) with Late 2nd

Draft OL (say, Roderick Johnson for example) with Early 3rd

Go BAP at OL/CB/Safety/TE with 2x 5th, 6th and 7th

Sounds good to me.  A likely legit #1 WR (unlike our crop of hyped up UDFA WR's), a QB to legit push Hack/Likely Replace Hack as a #1, two Cornerbacks, two O-linemen, a TE and a Safety?

If only we could get a draft focused on offense like that.  Sadly, I fully expect us to go Safety, LB, CB, Safety and maybe we'll get a TE late, knowing this team.

I don't expect the Jets to find a trade partner to move down. I just don't think the talent is there to justify such a move. 

I also wouldn't expect Watson to last until the Jets second round pick. One of the QB needy teams who pass on him before the Jets in the first, would likely pounce on m in the second. Because I'm not particularly enamored with him as a prospect, I wouldn't mind that. 

The team needs players all over the place, and I'd be happy with a successful BAP style draft with no emphasis on offense over defense before the fifth round. 

13 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't expect the Jets to find a trade partner to move down. I just don't think the talent is there to justify such a move. 

I also wouldn't expect Watson to last until the Jets second round pick. One of the QB needy teams who pass on him before the Jets in the first, would likely pounce on m in the second. Because I'm not particularly enamored with him as a prospect, I wouldn't mind that. 

The team needs players all over the place, and I'd be happy with a successful BAP style draft with no emphasis on offense over defense before the fifth round. 

I agree. Who's trying to get ahead of the Chargers? For who?? Jets are gonna settle on Lattimore and the boos will pour in.

25 minutes ago, slats said:

And I wouldn't.  A Draft that looks like Safety, then Linebacker, then Cornerback, then Tight End would be oppressively poor management IMO.

I expect you'll be alot happier than I come draft day my friend.

Archived