Jon Gruden on Jets OC John Morton: Huge challenge for a hungry coach

Gas2No99

Jon Gruden on Jets OC John Morton: Huge challenge for a hungry coach

This happened in the late 1990s. Jon Gruden was the coach of the Oakland Raiders and he assigned a research project to a young scouting assistant named John Morton, known around the facility as an around-the-clock grinder who regularly slept in the office.

"I remember giving him a couple of passing concepts I really liked, and I said, ‘Can you come up with some new formations and new looks for these plays?’" Gruden was saying Wednesday in a phone interview. "I didn’t see him for seven or eight or nine hours. The next day, he had these plays drawn from a hundred different looks, formations, shifts, you name it."

Gruden believes Morton will bring that same passion to his new gig, offensive coordinator of the New York Jets -- one of the toughest coaching jobs in the NFL. The Jets are rebuilding without a clear-cut answer at quarterback, and they've entrusted the challenge to a first-time NFL coordinator.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0405%2Fr197018_1

John Morton has the work ethic to succeed as Jets offensive coordinator, but it'll be a challenge without a clear-cut answer at quarterback. Fred Kfoury III/Icon Sportswire

"You’re not going to replicate the New Orleans Saints, run by Drew Brees, in Year 1 with the Jets," Gruden said, alluding to Morton's previous team. "That’s not going to happen. They’re going to have to have a little patience and see what they have so they can put their vision on paper and on film."

The current ESPN analyst was one of Morton's first mentors in the NFL. Gruden was hired by the Raiders in 1998, when Morton was added to the pro scouting department. Gruden credited the late Al Davis with discovering Morton, a former wide receiver who boasted sub-4.4 speed in the 40. He impressed Davis with his work ethic and knowledge of personnel, and became "an invaluable part of our staff," Gruden said.

Gruden has watched Morton grow up in the business, and he believes his former protege is ready to run his own show at the not-so-tender age of 47. Morton is a late bloomer in an industry getting younger by the year.

"Some of these guys who get jobs are sometimes fortunate to get them," Gruden said. "I know I was fortunate to get an opportunity at a young age. You can’t rush greatness, that’s what I always say. I just think he’ll do an excellent job."

Morton will have to be part coach, part miracle worker.

"A lot of it obviously depends on who you have," Gruden said. "You’re going to be a better coordinator if you have a better quarterback. You’re going to be a better coach if you have better players. I don’t know what they’ve assembled there -- the draft and the upcoming month will decide that -- but he’ll be able to get the most, I think, out of what he has."

Coach Todd Bowles hasn't said what kind of system Morton will employ, and no one knows what Morton is thinking because he still hasn't been made available to the media. But Gruden expects Morton to install a form of the West Coast offense.

"Yeah, I think so, I don’t think there’s any doubt," Gruden said. "He’s got a tough spot right now. I don’t know if he knows who the quarterback will be. They haven’t been able to play catch yet. I think he’s got enough versatility where he can grab and pull and choose from different experiences in life."

It always comes back to the quarterback issue, the story of the Jets' history.

"Look, they know more about Bryce Petty than the rest of us and they know more about [Christian] Hackenberg than the rest of us," Gruden said. "The only time I saw Hackenberg was minimal snaps in a couple of preseason games.

"We know what Josh McCown is. He’s a serviceable player. He’s great, I think, in the meeting room. He’s an outstanding mentor, great person, but as long-term solution, I don’t think he’s the answer, personally."

Gruden said his old friend faces "a big challenge." That's a diplomatic way of putting it.

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

The current ESPN analyst was one of Morton's first mentors in the NFL. Gruden was hired by the Raiders in 1998, when Morton was added to the pro scouting department. Gruden credited the late Al Davis with discovering Morton, a former wide receiver who boasted sub-4.4 speed in the 40. He impressed Davis with his work ethic and knowledge of personnel, and became "an invaluable part of our staff," Gruden said.

I wonder if it was a requirement on all job applications to work for Al Davis to submit a 40 time.

i'm not ging to claim to be an nfl offensive guru or anything but it seems to me that west coast offense just means getting the receivers free by using lots of slants that take advantage of zone seams.  they also use picks to get receivers free and it requires the receivers to get yards after the catch.  plus the qb throws to a spot in the field and usually not that far downfield. so i don't see where the west coast offense is that much of a problem as long as the receivers and qb know how to make the reads and adjust to the coverage.  and when in doubt they can always throw the ball to powell of hand it off.

I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I don't expect much to start but will want to see progress as the season progresses. The guy does have his work cut out for him and I do believe he maybe a future HC candidate. I'm tired of these defensive guys totally ignoring the offense and thinking of it as an afterthought come draft time in the early rounds.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i'm not ging to claim to be an nfl offensive guru or anything but it seems to me that west coast offense just means getting the receivers free by using lots of slants that take advantage of zone seams.  they also use picks to get receivers free and it requires the receivers to get yards after the catch.  plus the qb throws to a spot in the field and usually not that far downfield. so i don't see where the west coast offense is that much of a problem as long as the receivers and qb know how to make the reads and adjust to the coverage.  and when in doubt they can always throw the ball to powell of hand it off.

The West Coast Offense is not the play selection but the principle of the offensive scheme that the team runs.  It consist of short to intermediate passes (high percentage completions) to get the ball into your playmakers hands.  Often referred to as nickle and dime your way down the field.  As compared to a vertical passing offense, which relies on lower percentage completion throws down the field, but only need to complete it once to pick up chunks of yardage.  The WCO also tries to spread defenses out by call plays that make defense have to play sideline to sideline.  This causes the defense to play with width rather than depth.  When a defense plays with width, offensive players need to only get through 1 or 2 players to break big plays (think goal line defense).  Whereas a defense that plays with depth, guards against big plays by having layers of players to support (think prevent defense).  A vertical passing scheme wants to spread out the defense vertically so that there are gaps in the depth of the defense (between the line and linebackers, between the linebackers and defensive backs).  As for the wide receivers' routes, it depends on the individual coach's implementation of the WCO.  Some prefer bubble screens and underneath RB screens over the slants or comeback routes.  It also depends on the personnel.  Smaller, shiftier wide receivers may thrive in a quick screen or flat route scheme, while bigger wide receivers may thrive in a slant based screen (use their bodies to shield defenders).  Passes near the line of scrimmage (quick slants, screens, etc) force defenses to bring safeties and linebackers nearer to the line.  Therefore if a player misses a tackle, they have limited support as their support is usually next to them rather then behind them.

High accuracy is preferred over arm strength for quarterbacks in a West Coast Offense as they are expected to make quick 5-10 yard passes in tight coverage.  This is probably why Trubisky is always linked to the Jets in mock drafts because he supposedly the most accurate one of the class but the arm talent is not necessarily the best in the class.  Whereas a guy like Mahomes, who has arguably the most talented arm in the class, is often better suited for a vertical passing scheme.  Would almost be a waste of his talent to have him throw 5-10 yard slants and screens, when he is able to hit 20 yard post and corner throws.

9 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

You've been riding this bus for some time . What's in the wind other than the fact that nothing is going on with regards to the Jets publicly ?

Haven't heard a thing regarding Peterman & Jets. But have listened to Sirius when Pat Kirwan & Jim Miller have talked about him and they both like him. He's close to pro ready. Get fit for a WC type O

And just saw this. Phil heads up the Sr Bowl. Ex-GM/Scout

Adam Caplan (@caplannfl)

4/6/17, 4:07 PM

Peterman taped Gruden QB camp segment on Tuesday. Great Senior Bowl week and more coaches watch his tape the better they like him.

Phil Savage (@SeniorBowlPhil)

4/6/17, 4:26 PM

Nate fits West Coast offensive system better than some of the guys rated above him, needs to get to right team. Quick eyes, arm and feet. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

And just saw this. Phil heads up the Sr Bowl. Ex-GM/Scout

Adam Caplan (@caplannfl)

4/6/17, 4:07 PM

Peterman taped Gruden QB camp segment on Tuesday. Great Senior Bowl week and more coaches watch his tape the better they like him.

Phil Savage (@SeniorBowlPhil)

4/6/17, 4:26 PM

Nate fits West Coast offensive system better than some of the guys rated above him, needs to get to right team. Quick eyes, arm and feet. 

I don't think that kid has the arm talent to play in the cold in Buffalo, New York and that other city where the cheaters play .

40 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

You've been riding this bus for some time . What's in the wind other than the fact that nothing is going on with regards to the Jets publicly ?

31 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Haven't heard a thing regarding Peterman & Jets. But have listened to Sirius when Pat Kirwan & Jim Miller have talked about him and they both like him. He's close to pro ready. Get fit for a WC type O

Source: Jets meet with Pittsburgh quarterback Nathan Peterman

By the DOUCHE: Kristian Dyer

Published : March 23, 2017

Nathan Peterman got quite a bit of attention during his Pro Day at Pittsburgh on Wednesday and the standout quarterback caught the attention of one AFC team.

Following his workout in front of several dozen scouts, Peterman had a meeting with the Jets following his Pro Day a source tells Metro New York. The Pitt quarterback had an impressive showing at the event, with good mobility and accuracy.

A transfer from Tennessee, Peterman threw for a 47 touchdowns and 15 interceptions during his final two seasons of college football, both at Pitt. He was ranked eighth nationally in pass efficiency and fourth nationally in yards per completion.

The player also met on Wednesday with a representative from the Arizona Cardinals.

33 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I don't think that kid has the arm talent to play in the cold in Buffalo, New York and that other city where the cheaters play .

Pittsburgh football: Nathan Peterman shows off arm with amazing trick shot video

Pittsburgh junior Nathan Peterman is more than just a quarterback; he’s also, apparently, a trick shot artist.

The Jacksonville, Florida, native released a video of him using his impressive arm strength and accuracy to complete some crazy trick shots around the Pittsburgh area.

Take a look:

Amazing.

Peterman was excellent for the Panthers last season, throwing for 2,287 yards, 20 touchdowns and just eight interceptions. However, unfortunately for those opponents on Pittsburgh’s 2016 schedule, it seems his arm is only deadlier these days.

&

The Big Arms and the Biggest Risers at the Senior Bowl

A quarterback being tabbed as the next Kirk Cousins, a linebacker catching everyone’s eye by doing it all, and a small-school receiver with a Manning connection who’s just catching everything. Plus, O.J. Howard Day comes to Mobile!

nathan-peterman-senior-bowl.jpg?itok=I_R

Butch Dill/AP

MOBILE, Alabama — Greetings from the Port City, as Draft Season is officially underway. Senior Bowl practices wrapped up on Thursday, concluding a week that began (for me, at least) with a tornado warning hours before and after touching down on Saturday. (Luckily it was just that, a warning). I’ve heard the same sentiment repeated by scouts, coaches and personnel guys: This is an especially deep pool of talent at the Senior Bowl, perhaps the best of the past few years. And yet, unless you’re a draftnik, there aren’t too many big names down here.

But big names around this time of year are always quarterbacks, and when Deshaun Watson declined his invite (he was eligible as a junior since he had graduated), the already-shallow senior quarterback pool was quite dry. However in talking to folks in Mobile before practices began, there was a belief that two of the six quarterbacks competing here could strengthen their stock—the ceiling being “the next Dak Prescott.” Those guys: Nathan Peterman of Pittsburgh and Davis Webb of California.

We’ll begin with Peterman because he’s been by far the most impressive quarterback here. Says one evaluator who has studied Peterman extensively: “He reminds me a lot of Kirk Cousins in this sense: He’s not going to blow you away with any of his traits, but he can do everything you need.” The evaluator stressed that Peterman is very mature. A graduate transfer from Tennessee, he enrolled at Pitt in 2015 to pursue an MBA and the 22-year-old got married to his longtime girlfriend in April.

Peterman didn’t have too many weapons to throw to at Pitt; junior receiver Jester Weah (no catches before 2016) came through, and tight end Scott Orndoff had a good year, but other than that “there was not much there,” the scout said. Peterman has been playing for the North squad coached by the Chicago Bears, and yes, they’re in the market for a quarterback. The 22-year-old has thrown some pretty, well-placed balls and earned bonus points at weigh-in when his hands measured at 9 7/8 inches—impressive considering he’s only 6' 2 1/2". (Yes, the hand debate is back! Sorry I’m not sorry. There’s even one more hand-size reference later in the column, though I’ll go on record with my hand-size stance: It does matter, but only for quarterbacks, who have to grip the ball, especially in poor weather.) My sense is that Peterman is not ready to start next year, but would be a solid third to fifth round target and developmental project.

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I liked this hire from day one I just feel bad for the guy because he will be tossed out with the bath water when bowles gets canned in a year or so or if bowles needs another fall guy.

If Bowles were fired and he did a good job then he could get the HC gig,,, :) 

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Source: Jets meet with Pittsburgh quarterback Nathan Peterman

By the DOUCHE: Kristian Dyer

Published : March 23, 2017

Nathan Peterman got quite a bit of attention during his Pro Day at Pittsburgh on Wednesday and the standout quarterback caught the attention of one AFC team.

Following his workout in front of several dozen scouts, Peterman had a meeting with the Jets following his Pro Day a source tells Metro New York. The Pitt quarterback had an impressive showing at the event, with good mobility and accuracy.

A transfer from Tennessee, Peterman threw for a 47 touchdowns and 15 interceptions during his final two seasons of college football, both at Pitt. He was ranked eighth nationally in pass efficiency and fourth nationally in yards per completion.

The player also met on Wednesday with a representative from the Arizona Cardinals.

Missed that. Thanks. JMO but he doesn't make it to day 3. 

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I think what we need is yet another weak armed QB with "accuracy"

He has  above average arm strength, not the best, but above average.   Don't allow your bias to get in the way of facts though.  I'm guessing you have never seeen him play.

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

He played at Pitt. It gets pretty friggin' cold over there.

I know, and when I watch his game film, his lack of arm talent show up . He's a solid prospects between the #s, but outside and in tight coverage, his ball takes it's time getting to the receivers . 

On 4/6/2017 at 11:50 AM, Beerfish said:

I liked this hire from day one I just feel bad for the guy because he will be tossed out with the bath water when bowles gets canned in a year or so or if bowles needs another fall guy.

The parade of OCs we've head since Since and before Shotty.... what a joke.

one winning season since Shotty, no playoffs and all have come in with a " He's perfect for our players ".

We are cursed.....   I'm used to it. 

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

The parade of OCs we've had since Since and before Shotty.... what a joke.

one winning season since Shotty, no playoffs and all have come in with a " He's perfect for our players ".

We are cursed.....   I'm used to it. 

Go Back to Joe! (Walton)

!BuSgWqwBmk~$(KGrHqUOKi0EvPW0knWWBL+rbZf 

OR

WELCOME BACK WALTON!!!!!

170817133.jpg

Those Kelly Green collars POPPED just like his offense. 

14 hours ago, varjet said:

Joe Walton is a good man.  

He went back to Western PA to coach college.

He did a very good job coaching the Jets and getting the most of out of the players he had.

God Bless Joe Walton.

Please.....  he was AT BEST mediocre. Great DIII coach.

Archived