Jeremy Bates - QB Coach

RJIII

"Patrick Mahomes II would have hired Jeremy Bates as his private QB coach this offseason - until the JETS hired him as QB coach. Mutual Respect"

Tweet from Adam Schefter this AM

-Stay tuned......

Also, Mahoness coming in for visit today for Jets.

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 12, 2017, 5:07 AM EDT
619099810.jpg?w=250Getty Images

The Jets worked out Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes last week, and they apparently liked what they saw enough that they want to get to know Mahomes better.

Mahomes is visiting the Jets today, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

The Jets are expected to start veteran Josh McCown, at least at the beginning of the 2017 season, but they’re also developing 2016 second-round pick Christian Hackenberg and 2015 fourth-round pick Bryce Petty. Last year they kept four quarterbacks on the 53-player roster, and it’s possible they will again this year if they draft a quarterback this month.

Mahomes is generally considered the No. 4 quarterback in this year’s draft, behind Mitchell TrubiskyDeshaun Watson and DeShone Kizer. The Jets could be targeting Mahomes with their second-round pick, No. 39 overall.Click to s

harehttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/12/jets-showing-more-interest-in-quarterback-patrick-mahomes/ on Tumblr (Opens in new window)

30 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I don't think the Jets are that high on Petty so another quarterback this year is very possible.

IMO Petty should be gone. He hasn't shown anything that gets us excited. Find his replacement in the draft, there's much better talent them him even in later rounds. 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Interesting "threads", let's see if they become a real story

Agree especially for a regime that tries to keep everything quiet and under wraps

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

Over the last month, #Jets worked out at least 5 of the top QBs: Deshaun Watson, DeShone Kizer, Mitch Trubisky, Davis Webb, Patrick Mahomes

18 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Agree especially for a regime that tries to keep everything quiet and under wraps

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

Over the last month, #Jets worked out at least 5 of the top QBs: Deshaun Watson, DeShone Kizer, Mitch Trubisky, Davis Webb, Patrick Mahomes

Well

like announcing that Fitz was their starter while he was a FA, or announcing to the world that they were having a fire sale on their draft picks this year. :)

Just now, T0mShane said:

1. Maccagnan does not deserve to get to draft or even sign another QB.

2. Mahomes would be doomed coming here. Absolutely doomed.

Just no on both points...

Petty was a late round QB and was nothing more than a flyer taken.  He shouldn't even be considered.

Hack was a mistake which good executives realize and move on from. If he eventually proves you wrong, great, but just chalk him up with the other 99% of QB's who don't end up being any good.

There is zero logic to saying Mahomes or any other QB would be doomed coming here.  I don't like Mahomes as much as Trubisky but I do see Mahomes turning into a decent NFL QB.  Very similar to Wilson and Ben in terms of extending plays and letting the ball fly.

I love this place. The Jets take a 4th round project QB, that everybody said would take a year or two to be ready.  He plays in year two shows flashes, but generally does not look very good.  Posters say "He MUST go!"  In particular, I love @MDL_JET wanting to cut him because he "hasn't done anything that gets us excited."  

Meanwhile, there are people that fully plan to hand the starting job to Hackenberg sight unseen.  

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. Maccagnan does not deserve to get to draft or even sign another QB.

Macc has free reign and total control. He gets to do as he sees fit. So far he has drafted the Jets franchise QB in Hack. And a backup in Petty. If he wants to try and better the situation I support him. I think the next drafted QB will lose to Hack and should be able to be the long term backup, replacing Petty.

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Macc has free reign and total control. He gets to do as he sees fit. So far he has drafted the Jets franchise QB in Hack. And a backup in Petty. If he wants to try and better the situation I support him. I think the next drafted QB will lose to Hack and should be able to be the long term backup, replacing Petty.

;)

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I love this place. The Jets take a 4th round project QB, that everybody said would take a year or two to be ready.  He plays in year two shows flashes, but generally does not look very good.  Posters say "He MUST go!"  In particular, I love @MDL_JET wanting to cut him because he "hasn't done anything that gets us excited."  

Meanwhile, there are people that fully plan to hand the starting job to Hackenberg sight unseen.  

cant wait for preseason

If we drafted Mahommes at 6 I would laugh maniacally, have one last glass of 12 year old scotch, smoke a cigar and then sit in my car in the garage with the engine running until I dreamed of Sam Darnold being there next year for us.

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I don't see Mahomes making it anywhere near the 2nd round. Trading down is no sure thing. Could be another smoke screen but the OP's post is very interesting. The draft can't come fast enough. 

Wait..... Meaning he will go in the 3rd? Or do  you mean hell be gone by 20? Ill be surprised if he makes it to 21

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

He got hurt 3 different times. He threw 3 TDs and 7 INTs.

He looked lost in the pocket. He just isn't going to be the guy, no matter how much he learns playing Madden Online.

21 hours ago, Maxman said:

I agree with this.  I think Hackenberg is going to turn a lot of heads.  That would be the perfect scenario with Hackenberg winning the starting job and Petty being his backup.  Draft offense in this draft with a touch of defense and we have a young budding team in the making.  

The more I think about it the more I think the Jets go offense in Round 1 of the draft.  They have a  brand new Offensive Coordinator who's going to want to add some pieces to an anemic offense for him to work with.  The defensive side of the ball has at least some potential stars and some already established talent.  The offensive side of the ball has nothing so I think Maccagnan lets John Morton pick his guy with the 6th pick.  I pray that he sticks with Hackenberg/Petty in year one and gets some talent around them.

R1) Leonard Fournette - he can go with the offensive weapon that he can use most effectively in the offense he plans on running.  The pick here will say a lot about the type of offense Morton plans on installing.  I wouldn't mind any of those three guys whatsoever.

R2) Evan Engram (TE)

R3) Marcus Williams (S)

R3) Best available CB (Ahkello Witherspoon/Jalen Myrick)  2 big speedy CBs who I think would fit in perfectly here.

If that's the first four picks of the draft I'm ecstatic.  We come out of it with a crushing running back who will give us an identity on offense.  An elite pass catching tight end to draw attention up the middle.  A rangy safety who will allow Pryor to play in his natural position all season and hopefully improve and a CB who can turn into a number 1.  This is all while still having a lot of potential already at the WR position.  

Can't wait until the draft...

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

He got hurt 3 different times. He threw 3 TDs and 7 INTs.

He looked lost in the pocket. He just isn't going to be the guy, no matter how much he learns playing Madden Online.

I don't disagree, but the idea that the guy who literally didn't sniff the field will be better is insane.  See the post following yours.  Hackenberg being great would be the perfect scenario, but it is actually less likely than the light going off in Petty's head which would be just as good. 

The last time Hackenberg turned anybody's head. people were talking about what a breath of fresh air it was to have a GM who know how to work the  draft like Idzik.

38 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't disagree, but the idea that the guy who literally didn't sniff the field will be better is insane.  See the post following yours.  Hackenberg being great would be the perfect scenario, but it is actually less likely than the light going off in Petty's head which would be just as good. 

The last time Hackenberg turned anybody's head. people were talking about what a breath of fresh air it was to have a GM who know how to work the  draft like Idzik.

There is no data on Hack. I totally agree. I think my point is more along the lines of 1) Trusting Macc a bit and 2) Believing that Petty isn't a starting QB, so Hack will be the next guy to get the shot.

He has a lot to prove, no doubt.

59 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

I agree with this.  I think Hackenberg is going to turn a lot of heads.  That would be the perfect scenario with Hackenberg winning the starting job and Petty being his backup.  Draft offense in this draft with a touch of defense and we have a young budding team in the making.  

The more I think about it the more I think the Jets go offense in Round 1 of the draft.  They have a  brand new Offensive Coordinator who's going to want to add some pieces to an anemic offense for him to work with.  The defensive side of the ball has at least some potential stars and some already established talent.  The offensive side of the ball has nothing so I think Maccagnan lets John Morton pick his guy with the 6th pick.  I pray that he sticks with Hackenberg/Petty in year one and gets some talent around them.

R1) Leonard Fournette - he can go with the offensive weapon that he can use most effectively in the offense he plans on running.  The pick here will say a lot about the type of offense Morton plans on installing.  I wouldn't mind any of those three guys whatsoever.

R2) Evan Engram (TE)

R3) Marcus Williams (S)

R3) Best available CB (Ahkello Witherspoon/Jalen Myrick)  2 big speedy CBs who I think would fit in perfectly here.

If that's the first four picks of the draft I'm ecstatic.  We come out of it with a crushing running back who will give us an identity on offense.  An elite pass catching tight end to draw attention up the middle.  A rangy safety who will allow Pryor to play in his natural position all season and hopefully improve and a CB who can turn into a number 1.  This is all while still having a lot of potential already at the WR position.  

The part that sucks is the new o\c gets to spend such a little amount of time with Hack before the draft. Really would like him to be working out with the new o\c 24/7 for weeks already. The new CBA really puts young players at a disadvantage.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

The part that sucks is the new o\c gets to spend such a little amount of time with Hack before the draft. Really would like him to be working out with the new o\c 24/7 for weeks already. The new CBA really puts young players at a disadvantage.

That never made sense to me at all.  Who would really know if they were texting back and forth or talking?? :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

R2) Evan Engram (TE)

R3) Marcus Williams (S)

If we get Marcus Williams in the 3rd I'll do back flips.

The only scenario I like better for our draft overall, would be trade down from 6, pick Barnett or Harris in mid 1st, and get an extra second. Otherwise im with you. Get Engram in the 2nd or a wr. Save the cb's for the 3rd.

2 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

That never made sense to me at all.  Who would really know if they were texting back and forth or talking?? :rolleyes:

I'm sure that stuff happens. But when the players aren't allowed in the facility that definitely sets them back.

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

If we get Marcus Williams in the 3rd I'll do back flips.

The only scenario I like better for our draft overall, would be trade down from 6, pick Barnett or Harris in mid 1st, and get an extra second. Otherwise im with you. Get Engram in the 2nd or a wr. Save the cb's for the 3rd.

My number one option is definitely to trade down and acquire more picks.  I don't see it happening though this year because of how stacked this draft is with overall talent.  I think teams will be stingy with their picks and rightfully so.  If there are no trade downs and we stay put though we're going to get a hell of a player in the 1st, 2nd, and two in the 3rd round.  We can easily land 4 day one starters if they do this right.  There are so many different combinations of players they can get..

R1.  OJ Howard

R2.  Tre'Davious White

R3.  Jordan Leggett

R3.  Best Available Safety

R1.  Marshon Lattimore

R2.  Budda Baker

R3.  Jordan Leggett

R3.  Best Available WR

R1.  Mike Williams

R2.  Budda Baker

R3.  Cameron Sutton

R3.  George Kittle

1 hour ago, JetFanatic said:

My number one option is definitely to trade down and acquire more picks.  I don't see it happening though this year because of how stacked this draft is with overall talent.  I think teams will be stingy with their picks and rightfully so.  If there are no trade downs and we stay put though we're going to get a hell of a player in the 1st, 2nd, and two in the 3rd round.  We can easily land 4 day one starters if they do this right.  There are so many different combinations of players they can get..

R1.  OJ Howard

R2.  Tre'Davious White

R3.  Jordan Leggett

R3.  Best Available Safety

R1.  Marshon Lattimore

R2.  Budda Baker

R3.  Jordan Leggett

R3.  Best Available WR

R1.  Mike Williams

R2.  Budda Baker

R3.  Cameron Sutton

R3.  George Kittle

Love the list, agree with it. I just feel we need to come out of this draft with an edge rusher, given this draft's rare depth at the second most important position, and the length of time since we've actually had one at the position.

Mauldin's ceiling is a decent 3rd down rusher at best. Theres nothing wrong with that, but we need a beast rushing the passer.

There's some dopey college all-star challenge thing on ESPN2 and Pat Mahomes just looked like someone pulled a fat fan out of the crowd to compete at halftime for an Arby's gift card in something called "the accuracy challenge." Looked like his shoelaces were tied together.

14 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Love the list, agree with it. I just feel we need to come out of this draft with an edge rusher, given this draft's rare depth at the second most important position, and the length of time since we've actually had one at the position.

Mauldin's ceiling is a decent 3rd down rusher at best. Theres nothing wrong with that, but we need a beast rushing the passer.

I definitely agree with this.  With 4 picks in the first three rounds I feel it's imperative that we get some sort of star player on offense.  I think that's a must with one of the first 4 picks.  If that pick is a TE like Howard with the 6th pick I think that bodes well.  Another position that is a must with the first 4 picks is a Safety because ours are horrible in a pass happy offensive league.  I also think CB has to be picked within the first 4 picks.  So in no particular order I think we HAVE to draft a TE, S, CB because we're in really bad shape at those positions.

The problem with adding an OLB to those must have picks is that the people who feel we always neglect the offensive side of the ball will lose their minds which is fair enough.  I kind of feel the same way in that we have to start showing the offense some love in drafts.  It's just that this particular draft is just soooooo deep with defensive talent we'd be passing up on mediocre offensive players for good to potentially great defensive players.  So while I'm also on the side of going heavy on offense I think we have to let the draft dictate who we pick.  So with that said how's this for a draft including an OLB.

R1.  OJ Howard

R2.  Budda Baker

R3.  Carl Lawson

R3.  Teez Tabor/Cameron Sutton/Ahkello Witherspoon

That's why acquiring a 4th round pick in this draft is huge.  It'll allow us to draft another really good offensive player in the 4th round.  Or it'll allow us to get an offensive player with one of our 3rd round picks while still being able to draft a good OLB with our 4th.

Archived