Report: Jets set to Host Miami Tight End Njoku

JetNation

Njoku.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

With the NFL draft just a week and a half away, the Jets continue to meet with some possible picks near the top of the draft at key positions.

According to Jordan Raanan of ESPN, Miami tight end David Njoku will be meeting with Gang Green at some point today after cancelling his visit with the New York Giants.

At 6′ 4” 246 lbs, the freakishly athletic Njoku would fill a huge void in the Jets offense where their tight ends have been invisible over the last two seasons, combining for just 18 receptions.

Njoku is projected to be a late first or early second round pick in the upcoming draft.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
g-oGX5aaKpQ

Click here to read the full story...

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Seems like a wasted visit, unless they plan on taking him at #6 or if they plan on trading up to take him in the first.  I'd be shocked if he was there in the 2nd.

Do they have OJ Howard scheduled for a visit or has he been in yet? 

based on the range of top prospects the jets are bringing in, it seems they are preparing as if they could draft at 6, 10, 15 or 24.  

Njoku attended Cedar Grove High School in Cedar Grove, New Jersey. During his career he had 76 receptions for 1,794 yards and 19 touchdowns. He committed to the University of Miami to play college football. Njoku also competed in the high jump in high school, winning the national championship at the New Balance Nationals Outdoor his senior year in 2014

26 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

based on the range of top prospects the jets are bringing in, it seems they are preparing as if they could draft at 6, 10, 15 or 24.  

True...didnt think about the trade down scenario.  They could be just covering their grounds. 

Just now, thshadow said:

Is there no one on this board with a healthy sense of PTSD about the Jets drafting TEs????  

They should just draft one in the 2nd round...

you can say this about qb/cb/s/lb too.  and you can also say anyone they take in the 2nd round will suck.  

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

The visits scheduled scream trade down 

45 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i believe they will trade back at least once, though i also believe there is a legit chance they take trubisky at #6.  

To me, picking MT at 6 is a coin flip.   Pros and cons. The biggest pro is the Jets current roster.  

I listened to the Sirius NFL Channel mock draft over the weekend, and the Brown were ecstatic over getting MT at 12.  The Jets cannot allow that to happen.  Macc should have the gonads to basically say they are picking him if he is there.  That will force someone to either pick him prior or trade with the Jets.   We can use him, or trade him.  

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

To me, picking MT at 6 is a coin flip.   Pros and cons. The biggest pro is the Jets current roster.  

I listened to the Sirius NFL Channel mock draft over the weekend, and the Brown were ecstatic over getting MT at 12.  The Jets cannot allow that to happen.  Macc should have the gonads to basically say they are picking him if he is there.  That will force someone to either pick him prior or trade with the Jets.   We can use him, or trade him.  

i believe the jets will take trubisky if he's there at 6, but after screwing up and not taking wentz last year, i think the browns are trading up and getting him before 6.  so i agree, the jets are probably trading back, and i can see them taking cb conley or a TE, but i'm leaning conley at this point.  then they'll have at least 4 picks on day 2 to address TE/OT/RB.

Actually, I could live with Evan Engram in the 2nd round . I think this guy could take over the role Enunwa played last yr with better results because he's bigger, faster and has way better hands as a receiver . It could also allow the Jets to use a conventional TE in the lineup and provide some deception in the passing game .

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Actually, I could live with Evan Engram in the 2nd round . I think this guy could take over the role Enunwa played last yr with better results because he's bigger, faster and has way better hands as a receiver . It could also allow the Jets to use a conventional TE in the lineup and provide some deception in the passing game .

i think the jets brought him in for a visit too but i'm not certain.

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

Just to be clear, you believe the Jets should take Trubisky because some dude on Sirius who was pretending to be the Browns' GM was excited to fake-draft Trubisky at 12 and the actual Jets franchise can't allow this person that kind of satisfaction? 

29 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i believe the jets will take trubisky if he's there at 6, but after screwing up and not taking wentz last year, i think the browns are trading up and getting him before 6.  so i agree, the jets are probably trading back, and i can see them taking cb conley or a TE, but i'm leaning conley at this point.  then they'll have at least 4 picks on day 2 to address TE/OT/RB.

I believe the Jets should trade down, and if it end up anywhere between 15-25, they should target either Ryan Ramczyk or Forrest Lamp . I would love Ramczyk, but I think Lamp would be the better option and initially, I try him at Center .

30 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Njoku and Engram are great prospects.  I really like Engram a lot.  Probably can get Engram with our 2nd round pick if we are lucky.  If you guys haven't watched Engram yet, you should.  I woould be delighted with him in round 2. Njoku won't make it down to us if there's no trade down in round 1.

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Njoku and Engram are great prospects.  I really like Engram a lot.  Probably can get Engram with our 2nd round pick if we are lucky.  If you guys haven't watched Engram yet, you should.  I woould be delighted with him in round 2. Njoku won't make it down to us if there's no trade down in round 1.

Yes, but where would you play him ?  I see him flanked outside and moving in motion towards the LOS like Enunwa picking off blitzing defensive backs before breaking into the pattern .  I have zero use for this player as an end of the line TE .

Every year there are players who drop for reasons unknown to any of us. When I read about this draft just like others in the past, there are always like 45 guys that won't make past the 1st round,lol.

Looking at this draft, I really hope the Jets either take another QB they love at 6 or trade back if possible. Cleveland will have a lot to do with how this plays out. Might be funny if 2 loser franchises like the Jets & Browns make a deal @ 6 that turns out to benefit both franchises futures.

Saw this guy many times as a Hurricane season ticket holder. He has all the skills, size, speed, good hands, decent blocker. If there is a chance I would sign him. About the TE jinx, I get it but this guy is special.

12 minutes ago, Jetfan13 said:

Saw this guy many times as a Hurricane season ticket holder. He has all the skills, size, speed, good hands, decent blocker. If there is a chance I would sign him. About the TE jinx, I get it but this guy is special.

if the jets traded back 2x and took him in the teens, that may be maxing out on the value of the #6 pick currency.  they'd have a lot of picks day 2 to address the secondary, OL and RB.  

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Yes, but where would you play him ?  I see him flanked outside and moving in motion towards the LOS like Enunwa picking off blitzing defensive backs before breaking into the pattern .  I have zero use for this player as an end of the line TE .

Engram has no issue blocking... Even at his size.

That said, he's more of a luxury.  

Njoku visiting is interesting, but it's clear that Howard and Njoku are being talked about plenty in the top 10 now.

If Trubisky and Adams are gone, I'd prefer to trade down to be honest. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many teams interested in trading up. And no team is going to trade with us if they want to trade up for a QB.  They'll avoid us because they would be worried about us being interested in QB.

If we must stay, the discussion comes down to guys like OJ Howard, Njoku, Corey Davis, and perhaps if we love one of the pass rushers like TJ Watt, Barnett, or whoever.

Lattimore and Hooker are both injury concerns and I'm just not crazy about Hooker's game in general. other guys like Soloman Thomas and Allen just play positions we don't need.

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Im sure they figure that some of the 40-50 first round prospects will also fall to us in the second round.

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Seems like a wasted visit, unless they plan on taking him at #6 or if they plan on trading up to take him in the first.  I'd be shocked if he was there in the 2nd.

Do they have OJ Howard scheduled for a visit or has he been in yet? 

Not if you are trying to move down in the draft.  You have to consider all the scenarios and where you could land if you trade down so you know who you can pick.

Archived