Mitch Trubisky Is Going To Be The Pick

SAR I

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The problem with this premise is that the type of fan that would be enthused by Trubisky already thinks Hackenberg is that guy. If you're going to use the sixth pick to deke some country club PSL holders into actually coming to games, you're picking either Fournette or Watson.

So that would be me and unfortunately there has been so much bad press and so many breadcrumbs showing how Hackenberg is not even close to being ready that there is zero excitement around that guy.

It's the inverse of the Sanchez draft.  That was a complete surprise, we traded up, the kid was so happy to be a Jet, it was a magical April moment.  I'd never heard of the guy an hour before the draft yet couldn't wait to get into the stadium to see him play an hour after the draft.  I bought a Sanchez USC jersey the day after he was drafted, it was fun.

Some forget that around 90% of Jets season ticket holders don't follow college football at all, even casually.  So we don't know which kids are good and which aren't, we only know what the media feeds us.  So back to Trubisky and Hackenberg, one player is getting us hard and one has us soft.  Not on ability necessarily; on public perception.  And it's public perception that drives fans like me to renew my tickets next week.

SAR I

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

8 pages of this drivel and counting, amazing.

This is the thread for those of us who don't follow college football, hate the draft, and feel left out because we don't know what we're talking about.

SAR I

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You don't look like a fool for picking a guy you like in '16 and then a guy you like at least as much in '17.  On on hand we whine that we passed on Carr or Bridgewater because we drafted Geno the year before, now it makes you look like a fool to keep trying to upgrade the most important position on the team.  If you play both and Hack looks decent and Trubiski better you can still trade Hack and get a return.  

The foolish move is to stand pat, pass on a player who sitting there for taking who will improve the team because you're worried how it will make you look if you do.

This.  Brilliantly stated.

SAR I

saw this..

~ ~ 

New York Jets (Projected Trade with Cleveland Browns)

Gareon Conley

CB

Ohio State

Analysis: The Jets have holes everywhere and desperate needs in the secondary. Many feel Conley is the most NFL-ready of any cornerback in the draft and I agree.

rest of above article : 

>      http://draftanalyst.com/updated-four-round-mock-draft-one-week-left

11 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

LOL...who would have an issue taking Trubisky at 6 if he turned out to be the real deal?

Problem is, IMO, there are positions on an NFL roster where you can 'wait for the value pick' in the draft...but QB ain't one of them, at least with any successful track record, especially for the consensus top QBs in a draft.

Maybe you luck into a Wilson in Rd 3 or a Prescott in Rd 4...but those guys weren't mentioned as the 'top guys' those years so a discussion like this wasn't entertained on their behalf.

If you want one of the consensus top 2-4 QBs in any given draft, you just take them when you can or maneuver into a position to get the guy you want.  The consensus may be wrong as to who those guys are, but that's what you need to trust the scouting staff to determine.

Thursday will be interesting to say the least.

worth the 6th pick to me means that he passed all of the pre draft tests.  it doesn't mean he's the real deal because nobody can predict if he would be the next elllway or the next ryan leaf.  with regard to prescott and wilson, unless i'm mistaken, they weren't the highest rated qb's in their draft class but they were at about the same rating level as hack.  as a matter of fact prescott was rated right after hack (per the nfl draft tracker).

53 minutes ago, SAR I said:

True on all counts.  Impatient.  Waited a year on a bloody waiting list with several AD's and barely moved up 2 spots on them all combined.

Grey prices were in the 20's a year ago, have fallen into that $17K range now, I decided enough was enough and pulled the trigger.  I'm a watch collector and I have several pieces I just don't wear anymore, flipping a few didn't hurt me emotionally and provided the extra cash necessary.

C36 AMG.  Yum.

SAR I

Thats cool. I shoot sporting clays competitively and do that with my shot guns.  When I see one I must have I look in the safe for the ones with the most dust. In the 90's I bought a fair number at estate auctions. Haven't put my own money in for almost a decade. 

Yeah between marriages. Had a hour drive to go get the kids every weekend. I liked performance and needed a four door. Dealership had an ugly ungodly poop colored one and a black on black one. Little toasty for those Virginia summers. So they shipped a silver one and I had to pay freight and for a tire upgrade.  Paid 10% more for it than The poop colored one  or the sweat  box black. At the time didn't care, just wanted it. I also didon't have 3 kids in college and another shipping off in two years. LOL

Mrs Crusher drove  it for about 7 years after we got married. Then it went to my eldest daughter when she went to college. Made it all the way through grad school. Sweet little car for sure. 

It doesn't matter who we draft if the team plays well people will watch. If the team plays poorly diehard fans will still watch and complain about how usless our coaches front office and players are. We are not going to be a good team this season we might as well accept that now and hope we get our franchise qb next year or this year if macc has faith in one of these kids. I don't think trubiski is going to be any good personally I think he is the next Blake bortles

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

On April 24, 2017 at 10:28 AM, SAR I said:

How do I know?

Because I'm sitting here dreading the May 1 deadline for writing a check for $5,500 for this year's season tickets, completely uninterested in the schedule that was released a few days ago, I don't believe in my head coach, I don't like a single player on the roster, I'm about as unenthused as I've ever been as a Jets fan.  And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

There is only one thing that can turn around a disinterested fanbase and that's a hot young quarterback.  People get excited about that.  Fans show up for that.  I know I would.

So Trubisky it is.  It's simply good for business.

SAR I

He probably won't be there by #6, and if he is, the Jets should trade down and draft a franchise QB next year. Let's not make the mistake we made with Geno Smith. Let's accumulate picks so we can actually put a team around whatever QB we draft next season

6- New York Jets: Mitch Trubisky, QB, UNC

If any team wants to trade up for the No. 6 pick, Jets GM Mike Maccagnan is listening. With how bad this roster is, the more picks the better. 

But if the Jets keep the pick, I think they'll take Mitch Trubisky. Maccagnan had some interesting comments about their quarterback situation during his pre-draft presser on Monday. I think he knows his seat is warm. It's unlikely the Jets compete for the playoffs next year. But if he drafts a quarterback, and said rookie quarterback has some success, it could save both him, and coach Todd Bowles. 

On 4/24/2017 at 7:14 PM, Jet Nut said:

You don't look like a fool for picking a guy you like in '16 and then a guy you like at least as much in '17.  On on hand we whine that we passed on Carr or Bridgewater because we drafted Geno the year before, now it makes you look like a fool to keep trying to upgrade the most important position on the team.  If you play both and Hack looks decent and Trubiski better you can still trade Hack and get a return.  

The foolish move is to stand pat, pass on a player who sitting there for taking who will improve the team because you're worried how it will make you look if you do.

Agreed.  Years ago the Cowboys drafted Aikman and then Steve Walsh a year later.  The Eagles last year drafted Wentz despite having Bradford and Chase Daniel.  It worked out in both cases.  

Tampa had Glennon but drafted Jameis Winston.  The jury is obviously very much still out on Glennon but Tampa definitely tried to keep him.  In short, QBs with potential are absolutely hot commodities in the NFL.  I would have zero issue w/ drafting Mahomes and then Darnold (fingers crossed!) next year.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  Years ago the Cowboys drafted Aikman and then Steve Walsh a year later.  The Eagles last year drafted Wentz despite having Bradford and Chase Daniel.  It worked out in both cases.  

Tampa had Glennon but drafted Jameis Winston.  The jury is obviously very much still out on Glennon but Tampa definitely tried to keep him.  In short, QBs with potential are absolutely hot commodities in the NFL.  I would have zero issue w/ drafting Mahomes and then Darnold (fingers crossed!) next year.

Always go back to the Walsh-Aikman drafts.  JJ took Walsh in the supplemental draft I believe and made a killing trading him for a pile of picks 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Always go back to the Walsh-Aikman drafts.  JJ took Walsh in the supplemental draft I believe and made a killing trading him for a pile of picks 

I remember there was some discussion (probably only by fans) about if Dallas should keep Walsh and trade Aikman (laughable in retrospect).  I think Steve Beuerlein actually ended up being better than Walsh.

EDIT:  Looks like even Jimmy Johnson might've liked Walsh better than Aikman back then.  I didn't remember that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Walsh_(American_football)

Dallas Cowboys

The Dallas Cowboys surprised observers by selecting Walsh with the second overall pick in the NFL Supplemental Draft,[2] even though they had already selected Troy Aikman number one overall in the 1989 NFL Draft and had to surrender by rule an equivalent pick in the 1990 NFL Draft, which would turn out to be the number one overall selection.[3] Walsh started five games as a rookie (picking up Dallas' only win of the season, a 13–3 victory over the rival Washington Redskins), passing for 1,371 yards and 5 touchdowns, while splitting time with Aikman.

Head coach Jimmy Johnson who was also his coach in Miami, reportedly favored him as the starter,[4] but Walsh was never able to move out of Aikman's shadow and was traded to the New Orleans Saints three games into the 1990 season, in exchange for a first, second and third round draft picks.[5] With the third draft choice the Cowboys selected (#70-Erik Williams), the other two picks (#14-Leonard Russell and #52-Patrick Rowe) were traded to the New England Patriots as a package to move up to the number one overall draft choice to select Russell Maryland.

There's no quarantine jets will qb next draft it's assanine to even think that way, without a franchise qb nothing else matters, jets suck because they don't have a qb! I don't like Watson another qb who can't read defenses scans half the field, has weak arm! Can u imagine noodle arm Watson trying to throw downfield with no zip against a nfl defense?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

does your Rolex count your calories when you're at soul cycle? nope didn't think so

Does your Apple Watch get you any girl you want without the need for wasting time and sweating like a blue collar worker at a place like Soul Cycle?  Nope, didn't think so.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Does your Apple Watch get you any girl you want without the need for wasting time and sweating like a blue collar worker at a place like Soul Cycle?  Nope, didn't think so.

SAR I

Are you trying to say chicks are more attracted to fat, ugly rich men than good looking, fit middle class men? *snorts

On 4/24/2017 at 10:28 AM, SAR I said:

How do I know?

Because I'm sitting here dreading the May 1 deadline for writing a check for $5,500 for this year's season tickets, completely uninterested in the schedule that was released a few days ago, I don't believe in my head coach, I don't like a single player on the roster, I'm about as unenthused as I've ever been as a Jets fan.  And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

There is only one thing that can turn around a disinterested fanbase and that's a hot young quarterback.  People get excited about that.  Fans show up for that.  I know I would.

So Trubisky it is.  It's simply good for business.

SAR I

I am moving more and more into your camp but I don't think its Mitch... I think its Maholmes and that is why they want to trade down... Mitch won't be there if they trade down or may not even be there at 6.

6 minutes ago, HessStation said:

It should honestly be considered borderline conspiracy theory that Mitch Trubisky is considered the top rated QB in this draft. 

Why? I think its more of a sign that none of them are really that good of a prospect, and they all have major question marks. To me its even more the reason to pass on a QB this year. I have plenty of questions on Trubiski, but I do on the others as well.

1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

Draft a QB until you find a QB.

Much easier said than done. Missing on a high QB pick is one of the biggest reasons GM's get fired. At the end of the day we need someone in here who can identify, and develop QB talent. I am not sure we have either right now.

Just now, NoBowles said:

Much easier said than done. Missing on a high QB pick is one of the biggest reasons GM's get fired. At the end of the day we need someone in here who can identify, and develop QB talent. I am not sure we have either right now.

Macc and Bowles days are numbered anyway.

Just now, NoBowles said:

Why? I think its more of a sign that none of them are really that good of a prospect, and they all have major question marks. To me its even more the reason to pass on a QB this year. I have plenty of questions on Trubiski, but I do on the others as well.

13 games 8-5. You watch the kid interview he's a deer in headlights. He is NOT going to take over an NFL locker room D1. He's a real solid prospect but he'll need time. Taking him in the Top 10 is like automatically setting him up for failure bc I don't think this is the type of personality who's going to respond well to unrealistic expectations from the start. 

Trubisky to a Saints fan, if I were, sounds amazing. To the Bills, Browns,Jets etc, it sounds more like oh no here we go again.

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Maybe for peasants without a gold case and space grey strap, but that's not a problem for me. 

Archived