Perspective on good/bad team GMing

nycdan

Think what you will about Mac, but consider the Texans:

They traded two 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder, a 6th rounder and Brock Osweiler to Cleveland for Deshaun Watson and a 4th rounder (and some cash). 

Cleveland now owns both of their first two picks next season.  If Watson doesn't pan out, HOU has absolutely no ability to fix it next season in a QB-rich draft.

That is some seriously bad GMing by HOU.  Kudos to CLE.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Think what you will about Mac, but consider the Texans:

They traded two 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder, a 6th rounder and Brock Osweiler to Cleveland for Deshaun Watson and a 4th rounder (and some cash). 

Cleveland now owns both of their first two picks next season.  If Watson doesn't pan out, HOU has absolutely no ability to fix it next season in a QB-rich draft.

That is some seriously bad GMing by HOU.  Kudos to CLE.

Our GM came from Houston and just took a safety with a top ten pick.

We're the worst run team in all of sports. 

Mag cannot see the Forrest (the TEAM) for the Trees (players considered BAP by Mel Kiper).

On their face, his picks impress draft nicks. They're "worth" higher picks than where we get them, supposedly.

But what kind of team are we building with all this BAP?

looks like a jumbled incoherent mess to me so far as a team......with a few supposed BAP pieces, all on one side of the ball, and no overarching team building concept or idea of a coherent team concept.

And the worst offense in the NFL.

Not disagreeing.  I think he almost had to make that pick although I'd have been fine with Howard or Williams.  Fournette was gone and I think Watson or Mahomes were way to risky.  Time will tell.  In theory, over the long haul, BPA is a good strategy.  We also don't know if any good trade-down offers were on the table.  I wouldn't have liked going down to 27, but the 2018 first rounder would have worked.   I can't kill Mac over this pick.  The board was what it was.

A strong safety may in this instance be a safe pick. But the opportunity cost of not getting a primo QB or offensive skill position player in that slot is simply a disaster. Adams may be a very good strong safety, but compared to what one of those guys could have contributed to this historically bad NFL offense, its stupidity.

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Mag cannot see the Forrest (the TEAM) for the Trees (players considered BAP by Mel Kiper).

On their face, his picks impress draft nicks. They're "worth" higher picks than where we get them, supposedly.

But what kind of team are we building with all this BAP?

looks like a jumbled incoherent mess to me so far as a team......with a few supposed BAP pieces, all on one side of the ball, and no overarching team building concept or idea of a coherent team concept.

And the worst offense in the NFL.

And to top it off, i have ZERO confidence in our head coaches defense.  He was so awful last year that i don't think he can use all of these,  he has versatility players

Just now, Jetscode1 said:

i liked the pick

Me too, but I do think he could have managed trading back given how bad teams clearly wanted to come up for the QBs.

I just don't think he's developed a strong dealing skillset. At least he's good enough to avoid ******* up 'value' picks.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And to top it off, i have ZERO confidence in our head coaches defense.  He was so awful last year that i don't think he can use all of these,  he has versatility players

That is a legitimate concern.  He makes me miss sexy Rexy.  Heck, I'd even take Mangini back.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Me too, but I do think he could have managed trading back given how bad teams clearly wanted to come up for the QBs.

I just don't think he's developed a strong dealing skillset. At least he's good enough to avoid ******* up 'value' picks.

Agreed.  Had we traded back to the mid-tees and still gotten Howard for example...we'd all be doing backflips of joy.

Archived