The Macc nine + a hx lession (long)

LIJetsFan

http://turnonthejets.com/2017/05/macc-nine-new-york-jets-2017-draft-class-fate-gm/#more-36751

The Macc Nine: New York Jets 2017 Draft Class & Fate Of The GM

Scott Mason on the “Maccagnan Nine” and how it will determine his fate with the New York Jets

The 2017 NFL draft is in the books and it was chalk full of trades and surprises.  Three teams traded up in the top 12 to land quarterbacks, including the Chicago Bears who somehow thought it was a good idea to give up two third round picks and a fourth rounder for a guy who started 13 games at the collegiate level and couldn’t even beat out Marquise Williams for the starting QB job at North Carolina.

As for the Jets, for those of you who were screaming at the top of your lungs that GM Mike Maccagnan should trade down and accumulate more picks, congratulations, you got your wish. Maccagnan traded out of his spot a mind-numbing FIVE times during the 2017 draft, including one deal that yielded him a pick in the 2018 draft.

All in all, the Jets GM selected nine players between Thursday and Saturday, giving him two more picks than the seven he entered the draft with. The value of trading down is that it gives you an opportunity to take fliers on additional players and – in theory, at least – affords you a greater margin of error because the more players you pick, the less you are dependent on each individual one of them to make an impact.

Think of it along the lines diversifying your portfolio with multiple stocks and bonds rather than just one. If you invest in one stock and it tanks, you’re screwed. But if you invest a little bit in a bunch of different stocks, you are in a better position to weather the storm if any one individual stock gets crushed.

Of course, in order for this strategy to be effective, you still need to come away with a handful of productive players. And that begs the obvious question: just how good were Maccagnan’s picks?

The “experts” seem to vary in their assessments. ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr gave them a B+. They received a C+ from CBS’s Pete Prisco.  Walterfootball’s Walter Cheripinsky loved the picks and gave them an A.  NFL’s Chad Reuter was less impressed and had them at a B.

As for me, I generally liked what Maccagnan did as far as strategy and the actual picks themselves. This was one of the worst rosters in the NFL going into Thursday night and they were desperate for an infusion of talent and virtually every position other than interior defensive line. The Jets GM’s strategy appeared to be that if there was a player available that he thought could be a real difference maker, he would stand pat and pick him, but otherwise, he would trade down and acquire more bodies.

Some questioned the wisdom of selecting two safeties – LSU’s Jamal Adams and Florida’s Marcus Maye – with the team’s first two picks, but I was fine with it because both players should be strong pros and the team needed two new starting safeties, anyway (Gilchrist is hurt and isn’t any good when he plays and Pryor is at best a backup at this point).

WR ArDarius Stewart drew some groans when he was selected in the third round and even more dissatisfaction came a round later when the Jets drafted Cal WR Chad Hansen, with the thinking being that the Jets already have a lot of receivers and there are so many other holes to fill.

I understand the criticism, but other than Eric Decker – who is likely to be cut – the Jets list of wide receivers that have actually proven anything the NFL consists of Quincy Enunwa and…..well, yeah, pretty much just Quincy Enunwa.

Robby Anderson, Charone Peak, and Jalin Marshall all showed some flashes last year but none of them have proven they can be anything approaching a starter in the NFL yet and Quinton Patton is nothing more than a depth player. Not to mention former second round pick Devin Smith – whose career is likely over after a second ACL tear – is gone for the season again.

So I’m fine with Maccagnan using two picks reasonably early on receivers, because this team needs help at literally every position on the field and that means picking whoever the best players available are.

Stewart is a tough kid who can make plays and should be able to help out in special teams right away, while Hansen was an absolute beast at Cal (I personally watched him singlehandedly destroy my Texas Longhorns with 12 catches for 196 yards and 2 TD, including the game winner in the 4th quarter) and drew comparisons to a young Eric Decker from Mel Kiper.

Works for me.

As for the rest of the picks?  Clemson’s Jordan Leggett could be the next Dustin Keller – a big, athletic, talented pass catching tight end who can’t block to save his life – while Dylan Donahue, Jeremy Clark, Derrick Jones, and Elijah McGuire are each flawed in different ways but all have a chance to end up being useful NFL players.

Ultimately, that’s usually the best you can say about guys who are picked in the late rounds: that they are flawed but could be useful. In general, you can put a player who was drafted on day three into one of the following five categories:

• The player produced in college and seems to have good football instincts and character, but lacks “next level” athleticism (speed, size, strength). Recent examples of successful day three picks who fit into this category: Kirk Cousins and Devonta Freeman.
  • The player is an excellent athlete but is a project either because he is raw due to a lack of football experience/late position switch, has major flaws in fundamentals and technique, seems unmotivated, or hasn’t played in a pro style system. Recent examples of successful day three picks who fit into this category: Dak Prescott and Martavis Bryant.
  • The player has major injury/durability concerns. Recent examples of successful day three picks who fit into this category: Jordan Howard and Jay Ajayi.
  • The player went to a small school so they are either not well known or there is question about the level of competition he faced in college. Recent examples of successful day three picks who fit into this category: Josh Norman and Justin Bethel.
  • The player has major off the field concerns. Recent examples of successful day three picks who fit into this category: Tyreek Hill and Kenny Stills.

Whether or not any of the players Maccagnan just drafted – especially the ones on day three – will ever be as good as any of the players listed above is anybody’s guess at this point.

Sure, it is a lot of fun giving out post-draft grades, analyzing the picks, and saying who came away a much stronger team on paper. But unfortunately, games are not played on paper.

The draft pundits, the scouts, the media, the fan sites…all of them can think the players the team got are great or they can think they are terrible.  However, the truth is, nobody really knows how these players will perform once they put on an NFL jersey.

Obviously, some people have more expertise than others and there are those with fairly good track records with this kind of stuff.  Still, though, even the so-called best analysts can end up being very wrong.

Some decision makers like Green Bay’s Ted Thompson, New England’s Bill Belichick, Baltimore’s Ozzie Newsome, and Seattle’s John Schneider have been right enough times and built such successful teams that they have the luxury of missing now and then and being able to live to tell about it.

At this point, Maccagnan has no such luxury.

The former Director of College Scouting for the Houston Texans had a 25 year scouting career before he took the Jets GM job in 2015. The Jets are in the unenviable position they are in right now precisely because they have done such a poor job of utilizing the vast majority of their draft capital over the better part of the past decade, and Maccagnan was sold to the fanbase as a guy who could fix that.  Maccagnan was a football man – rather than a numbers guy like previous GM John Idzik – and it was said that he had a keen eye for talent.  Maccagnan insisted repeatedly that he could succeed where so many past Jets GMs had failed, by routinely finding good players in the draft to build the team into a consistent winner.

So far, though, his record in that regard – at least as it pertains to his tenure as Jets GM – has been fairly questionable.

In 2015, the team drafted Leonard Williams, Devin Smith, Lorenzo Mauldin, Bryce Petty, Jarvis Harrison, and Deon Simon. Williams, who many believed was the best player in the 2015 draft, unexpectedly fell to the Jets at #6 overall and he has been terrific, already appearing in a Pro Bowl.  The rest? Injuries have robbed Smith of any chance he may have had to be good, Mauldin has been OK as a spot starter, Petty has been awful, Harrison was cut, and Simon showed some promise last year in his second season.

In 2016, the team drafted Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg, Jordan Jenkins, Juston Burris, Brandon Shell, Lachlan Edwards, and Charone Peak. Lee had his moments but was spotty at best as a rookie, Hackenberg was wrapped in bubble wrap all year and I’m still not sure he really exists, Jenkins had injury issues but played reasonably well when healthy, Burris and Shell both showed potential and both will compete for starting jobs in 2017, Peake flashed some ability when he played, and Edwards was downright awful.

If you’re keeping track, that’s one excellent player, one decent player, and one question mark with upside in 2015 to go with one terrible player and six question marks with upside in 2016.

If Maccagnan is going to keep his job – let alone his vow to build a successful team through the draft – a whole lot of those question marks with upside are going to have to pay dividends, and quickly.

Furthermore, the 2017 class is going to have to produce some quality players as well, or the Jets’ future – as it has so many times before – is going to start to look very bleak.

As I previously noted, Maccagnan was specifically hired because he was different from the man he replaced, John Idzik, who was known more for his business acumen than his player evaluation abilities.  Meanwhile, Idzik was brought in because he was seen as the adult in the room who would get things under control, after his predecessor, Mike Tannenbaum, had been a little too much of a riverboat gambler. Meanwhile, Tannenbaum had gotten the job after the Jets relieved Terry Bradway of his duties, because Bradway was thought to have badly mismanaged the team’s affairs and Tannenbaum was known for his negotiating skills.

Somehow Bradway was kept on for nearly another decade as the head of scouting, which is still one of the most bizarre front office decisions I’ve ever seen, but that’s another topic for another time.

We’ve seen this with coaches, too.

Herm Edwards was hired because the team was looking for a fiery personality who could motivate the players after hard-nosed Al Groh, who was incredibly unpopular with the players, ran off to be the head football coach at the University of Virgina. Edwards eventually ran off to Kansas City and he was replaced by disciplinarian Eric Mangini after it was claimed that Edwards had been too chummy with the players. Mangini was eventually fired and replaced with Rex Ryan, who was the life of the party and would help motivate players, unlike Mangini, who was said to have been too strict and dull.  Then Rex Ryan was fired because he had supposedly been too friendly and failed to hold players and coaches accountable, so Todd Bowles was hired to get tough and take back control of the locker room.

Rinse, repeat.

In the end, the success or failure of the nine players the Jets drafted over the past few days will likely go a long way towards determining not only the Jets’ immediate future, but the immediate futures of both Maccagnan and Bowles.  If they succeed, there’s a good chance both men will receive extensions.  But if they fail, don’t be surprised if the Jets are in the market for a fun-loving players’ coach and a general manager with an MBA.

After all, Jets fans have seen this movie many times before, and by now, we are all very familiar with how it ends.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only logical explanation for what is happening right now is that Macc and Bowles got a mulligan, likely because Woody realized that his meddling and desire to win in 2015 ended up setting the team back.  

If Woody were to fire the two of them and start over, there is no guarantee that he would hire someone better than what he has.

Macc could not really do a rebuild in 2015 because of the contracts that he bore.  If he cut Mangold and Brick, given dead money there would be no money for replacements.  After 2 bad Rex years, 2015 would have been a train wreck

So the fans got their 2015 10 win year, which should have been playoffs.  

2016 was just greedy, but we are over it.

Hopefully Woody is giving Macc and Bowles 2 good years to see if they can start to build a team.  The signs are pointed in the right direction.  We need cohesiveness and function rather than wins.   

I think 7 of the 9 make the 53.

There was no desperation from the front office this offseason, which has led me to believe all year that these guys have gotten some assurance that their jobs are safe. Free agency and the draft were methodical, and would seem to be a part of a longer rebuild plan - rather than trying to overhaul the entire team all at once. 

Best case scenario in that regard is that these guys are learning on the job, and -maybe- actually getting better. Bowles lost the locker room last year, and the team got rid of a good chunk of the problem children this winter. Decker is the last Fitznoodle cheerleader left, and I have to think his roster spot is tenuous, too. Richardson will be on the trade block until the trade deadline, then the team will let his contract expire. 

A lot hangs on Hackenberg, and the fanbase will not tolerate another redshirt year from him. The team has to put him on the field - for better or worse. But I think by not taking a QB in the first round round yet that Mac has bought himself another year to do exactly that if Hackenberg does not look the part this year. 

14 minutes ago, slats said:

There was no desperation from the front office this offseason, which has led me to believe all year that these guys have gotten some assurance that their jobs are safe. Free agency and the draft were methodical, and would seem to be a part of a longer rebuild plan - rather than trying to overhaul the entire team all at once. 

Best case scenario in that regard is that these guys are learning on the job, and -maybe- actually getting better. Bowles lost the locker room last year, and the team got rid of a good chunk of the problem children this winter. Decker is the last Fitznoodle cheerleader left, and I have to think his roster spot is tenuous, too. Richardson will be on the trade block until the trade deadline, then the team will let his contract expire. 

A lot hangs on Hackenberg, and the fanbase will not tolerate another redshirt year from him. The team has to put him on the field - for better or worse. But I think by not taking a QB in the first round round yet that Mac has bought himself another year to do exactly that if Hackenberg does not look the part this year. 

Johnson gave Mangini assurances that what ever happened with Favre his job for the next season would be safe. And he got canned off a 9-7 season. If this really goes south, and frankly offensively looks like this team will not be able to score, any such assurance will be nothing more than a fart in a hurricane. 

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Johnson gave Mangini assurances that what ever happened with Favre his job for the next season would be safe. And he got canned off a 9-7 season. If this really goes south, and frankly offensively looks like this team will not be able to score, any such assurance will be nothing more than a fart in a hurricane. 

I don't disagree. If Bowles loses the locker room again, I can't imagine him lasting. 

Stephen Hill stats

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HillSt00.htm

Charone Peake stats

http://www.nfl.com/player/charonepeake/2555477/profile

Robby Anderson stats

http://www.nfl.com/player/robbyanderson/2556462/profile

A second round pick in Hill. A 7th round pick in Peake and an Undrated FA in Anderson. I think the two current Jets did more than flash if that is the kind of production the got from a team that had better WR play. These writers really should stop with the fake news.

Last years team featured The Q and BM as primary targets

40 minutes ago, slats said:

The HC has already said there won't be a redshirt yr

On Christian Hackenberg:

"He’s got to be excited because he’s got a chance to compete for the starting job right now, which is what he wanted to do in the first place. There won’t be any redshirting this year. He’ll have a chance to go out, prove himself and play."

Bowles likes Hackenberg's arm and smarts, now he just has to find out if he can play after the Jets had no intention of putting him on the field last season.

"His attitude was great last year. We just knew we were redshirting him and he wasn't going to play," Bowles said. "This year he will have a chance. He will have some pep in his step."

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Going 10-6 and getting exec of the year gets a tandem a lot of staying power capital.

Mac could be a better GM if he was not catering to an awful coach.

Macc is a GM who misconfigured the roster last season, putting that same HC in a bad spot. Please stop already with this Macc is good and Bowles sucks. It is just not true.

39 minutes ago, slats said:

Good post, except the lead Fitznoodle cheerleader was Todd Bowles.

5 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Macc is a GM who misconfigured the roster last season, putting that same HC in a bad spot. Please stop already with this Macc is good and Bowles sucks. It is just not true.

Mac sucks and Bowles is atrocious, that is how I see it.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Good post, except the lead Fitznoodle cheerleader was Todd Bowles.

Can't argue. Naming him the starter when he wasn't under contract was dumb, plain and simple. 

On 5/2/2017 at 10:03 AM, Jetdawgg said:

Stephen Hill stats

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HillSt00.htm

Charone Peake stats

http://www.nfl.com/player/charonepeake/2555477/profile

Robby Anderson stats

http://www.nfl.com/player/robbyanderson/2556462/profile

A second round pick in Hill. A 7th round pick in Peake and an Undrated FA in Anderson. I think the two current Jets did more than flash if that is the kind of production the got from a team that had better WR play. These writers really should stop with the fake news.

Last years team featured The Q and BM as primary targets

With Enunwa already here, and Decker still under contract for 2 more seasons, if they were truly sold on both Anderson and Peake being future starters (not to mention J.Marshall) it's unlikely they'd have used a pair of mid-round picks (where people say was the sweet spot of this draft) on two more WRs.

Fake news, lol. He's rendering an opinion, not news. If he thinks the Anderson and Peake flashed it's his prerogative to say so. Besides, at a minimum, Peake's description is unquestionably accurate. Even if you disagree a bit on Anderson, who was the best of the three and, despite appearing in every game and starting half of them, he finished with under 600 yards and 2 TDs.  

The "fake news" part is the idea that those "screaming at the top of [their] lungs" to trade down weren't requesting they wait until the 3rd round to trade down. Those that badly wanted a trade-down wanted it early, when we'd get much more in return for trading down. So that's the part that's fake. I didn't see anyone "screaming" all March and April to stay pat at both #6 and #39 for a pair of safeties, and then trade down only in the middle and late rounds. Whether one likes the draft results or not, I didn't see anyone requesting that.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Is there some hint that's been dropped or leaked, that people are so certain they're cutting Decker? 

Unless he's just unable to perform, I'd be surprised if he's cut while they're giving Hackenberg his long-awaited starts.

Agreed. I keep hearing Decker will be cut. If he is healthy and can stay that way, I don't think it would be a smart move especially if we are starting Hack. Decker is a veteran receiver who will only help Hack develop in various ways. I would prefer we keep Decker to help with Hack and all of the young WR's. Hopefully he can stay healthy. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

The only logical explanation for what is happening right now is that Macc and Bowles got a mulligan, likely because Woody realized that his meddling and desire to win in 2015 ended up setting the team back.  

If Woody were to fire the two of them and start over, there is no guarantee that he would hire someone better than what he has.

Macc could not really do a rebuild in 2015 because of the contracts that he bore.  If he cut Mangold and Brick, given dead money there would be no money for replacements.  After 2 bad Rex years, 2015 would have been a train wreck

So the fans got their 2015 10 win year, which should have been playoffs.  

2016 was just greedy, but we are over it.

Hopefully Woody is giving Macc and Bowles 2 good years to see if they can start to build a team.  The signs are pointed in the right direction.  We need cohesiveness and function rather than wins.   

I think 7 of the 9 make the 53.

If Woody decides to fire both, I hope he hires a Tom Coughlin-type to run football operations and allow them to choose their choice of GM and HC.  Stop with this nonsense of staggered HC/GM hires and get someone with a football resume to run this operation.  Geesh.

Just now, FTL Jet Fan said:

Agreed. I keep hearing Decker will be cut. If he is healthy and can stay that way, I don't think it would be a smart move especially if we are starting Hack. Decker is a veteran receiver who will only help Hack develop in various ways. I would prefer we keep Decker to help with Hack and all of the young WR's. Hopefully he can stay healthy. 

Yeah I'm not expecting either to show great things this year, but they're right to give either/both of them all the receiving targets they can. 

If they were going to cut ties with Decker, first of all he'd have been leaked in the rumors that we're seeking to trade him, along with Richardson and Pryor. Then after drafting another two WRs, surely they'd have cut Decker by now.

If he's at least 90% healthy at the end of August, he's sticking. If he's not, I still think it's iffy.

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

If you’re keeping track, that’s one excellent player, one decent player, and one question mark with upside in 2015 to go with one terrible player and six question marks with upside in 2016.

There in lies the problem ^^^ 

We can argue about whether Macc was forced to do this or that b/c Woody  -- or Bowles -- or Fitz...

But the fact of the matter is the only pick we've drafted who's really turned to be any good is a pick that blind monkey could have made.

The players we draft is the one god damn freaking area that Macc can control his/our fate, outside of pressures, owners, contracts etc... and what the fck has he done? 

A whole lot of nothing when we're talking about on-field production.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah I'm not expecting either to show great things this year, but they're right to give either/both of them all the receiving targets they can. 

If they were going to cut ties with Decker, first of all he'd have been leaked in the rumors that we're seeking to trade him, along with Richardson and Pryor. Then after drafting another two WRs, surely they'd have cut Decker by now.

If he's at least 90% healthy at the end of August, he's sticking. If he's not, I still think it's iffy.

I wonder if the Jets are hoping that Decker returns healthy and stays that way until the NFL trade deadline...a contending team that's short a receiver may be interested.  Kinda hard to trade an injured player (and I'm not sure that's even allowed?).

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

There in lies the problem ^^^ 

We can argue about whether Macc was forced to do this or that b/c Woody  -- or Bowles -- or Fitz...

But the fact of the matter is the only pick we've drafted who's really turned to be any good is a pick that blind monkey could have made.

The players we draft is the one god damn freaking area that Macc can control his/our fate, outside of pressures, owners, contracts etc... and what the fck has he done? 

A whole lot of nothing when we're talking about on-field production.

I mean, can we wait more then a year or maybe two, for them to develop into something? 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

I mean, can we wait more then a year or maybe two, for them to develop into something? 

How long?

The bigger issue in his drafting is not do we have to wait to see if guys develop, it is has he actually even attempt to draft premium positions in todays nfl.

He has had 3 drafts.

No #1 WR, No dynamic RB, No QB, no pass rusher, almost nothing spent on the oline.  This is a big issue.

Just now, greenwave81 said:

I wonder if the Jets are hoping that Decker returns healthy and stays that way until the NFL trade deadline...a contending team that's short a receiver may be interested.  Kinda hard to trade an injured player (and I'm not sure that's even allowed?).

Nah, if someone else wants him, we can trade him. 

Too hard to say, and I don't know what's in Maccagnan's head ( ;) ) but I think if he's kept this long it's because they want him to play (not to be just trade bait), should he prove healthy enough.

Most would be surprised to see it in 2017, but don't discount the possibility that the man who assembled this team might just think that, if Hackenberg (or Petty) is any good, they could realistically contend this year. A QB - the right QB - makes it all work, and can render multiple deficiencies insignificant. So if he's traded it'd have to be an offer he couldn't turn down (e.g. 3rd round or higher), and I don't think he gets that kind of offer for Eric Decker.

With no more guaranteed money remaining on his contract, I believe if Maccagnan just wanted to dump Decker, he'd have done it by now. Keep in mind he only turned 30 two months ago, though I sense there are fans who view him as older, like his starting career is already about to end.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How long?

The bigger issue in his drafting is not do we have to wait to see if guys develop, it is has he actually even attempt to draft premium positions in todays nfl.

He has had 3 drafts.

No #1 WR, No dynamic RB, No QB, no pass rusher, almost nothing spent on the oline.  This is a big issue.

This is precisely the problem. We're entering year three and the team is not appreciably better than it was when he took over. Worse, we don't have any kind of long-term answers at the positions that matter.

41 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

With Enunwa already here, and Decker still under contract for 2 more seasons, if they were truly sold on both Anderson and Peake being future starters (not to mention J.Marshall) it's unlikely they'd have used a pair of mid-round picks (where people say was the sweet spot of the draft) on two more WRs.

Fake news, lol. He's rendering an opinion, not news. If he thinks the Anderson and Peake flashed it's his prerogative to say so. Besides, at a minimum, Peake's description is unquestionably accurate. Even if you disagree a bit on Anderson, who was the best of the three and, despite appearing in every game and starting half of them, he finished with under 600 yards and 2 TDs.  

The "fake news" part is the idea that those "screaming at the top of [their] lungs" to trade down weren't requesting they wait until the 3rd round to trade down. Those that badly wanted a trade-down wanted it early, when we'd get much more in return for trading down. So that's the part that's fake. I didn't see anyone "screaming" all March and April to stay pat at both #6 and #39 for a pair of safeties, and then trade down only in the middle and late rounds. Whether one likes the draft results or not, I didn't see anyone requesting that.

Here w go again. I post factual content not just my opinion

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Is there some hint that's been dropped or leaked, that people are so certain they're cutting Decker? 

Unless he's just unable to perform, I'd be surprised if he's cut while they're giving Hackenberg his long-awaited starts.

The rumor I had heard was that the Jets couldn't cut Decker while he was on the injured list. I believe he had two off season surgeries and could take some time to heal.

As much as people like Enunwas 2/3 of a really good season, if Decker goes we are bad at WR and guys used to being covered by #3 CBs will all of a suddenly be covered by #1 guys or doubled.  It is going to get a lot tougher for these guys,

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How long?

He has had 3 drafts.

I agree on the no #1 WR, that should have been addressed. 

Lmfao at RB being a premium position.  

You have absolutely no idea if Hack is a QB, none so stop saying you do.  Once he plays you can comment if he can't play, till then you know nothing. 

Signing our draft picks to contracts and signing FA linemen counts as doing something if you did not know. 

As for for pass rusher he has invested picks and is waiting for them to develope. 

Every position can not be filled with a first round pick.   Players need to be developed.  Not the coaches strong suit I may add. 

15 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Link?

There's one in here somewhere

Bowles Acknowledges Fitz Flub, Won’t Elaborate on Revis

January 2, 2017  Featured Editorials, Home Slider  Darrelle Revis, Ryan Fitzpatrick, todd bowles

By Glenn Naughton

Jets fans will have to wait until next season to find out if head coach Todd Bowles has learned from past mistakes that were made during live action on game day, but when it comes  how he handles himself after the game (or the season) goes, we saw yesterday that he’s already learned a valuable lesson.

Following yesterday’s season-ending 30-10 victory over the Buffalo Bills, Bowles was asked to comment on the team’s future plans for cornerback Darrelle Revis, but the coach didn’t bite.

When a Jets beat writer asked Bowles about a conversation that took place between himself and Revis regarding a possible move from cornerback to safety if he were to stay with the team, Bowles was non-committal, and referenced the comments he made following last year’s season finale that ultimately cost Gang Green some green backs as the reason why.

Ryan Fitzpatrick was handed the Jets starting before ever signing a contract this off-season.

It was after the team’s week 17 loss to the Buffalo Bills last season that Bowles anointed free agent-to be, Ryan Fitzpatrick, his starting quarterback for the 2016 season.  An announcement that gave the journeyman additional leverage in his upcoming contract negotiations.

The comments undoubtedly played a role in Fitzpatrick and his agents holding out for the “starter money” that he would eventually get. Even though his eventual $12 million pay-day is pittance for a starting quarterback, (the deal made him the second-lowest paid veteran starter in the NFL) the comments from Bowles never should have been made, and he made a point to bring it up as something he won’t repeat in the future.

When asked about Revis, Bowles replied:

“I’m not going to discuss any player going in to 2017 thanks to you guys (Jets beat writers) when I said something about Fitz last year.  I have you guys to thank for that.  I won’t be saying anything about any players heading in to 2017.  My second year as a head coach and I learned some things, so thank you guys”.

The Jets have a big decision to make on Revis.  The former great is due to count for just over $15 million next season which is an ungodly amount of money for a player who didn’t even play up to the level of a “vet minimum” type this year.  If there is any chance at all of Revis hanging around, a steep pay cut will be in order.

Given Revis’ history and savvy, a move to safety would seemingly be the ideal solution for an aging cornerback who has lost a step.  Only problem there is that Revis hasn’t only lost a step, but the desire to tackle.  How’s that gonna’ go over as a safety?

Bowles made a mistake in promising the starting job to Fitzpatrick last season and he did the right thing yesterday in refusing to discuss Revis’ future with the Jets.

Handling the New York media may not be the type of growth fans were hoping to see from Bowles between his first and second season, so hopefully by training camp next year, the decisions on the sidelines show similar (or any) improvement.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

As much as people like Enunwas 2/3 of a really good season, if Decker goes we are bad at WR and guys used to being covered by #3 CBs will all of a suddenly be covered by #1 guys or doubled.  It is going to get a lot tougher for these guys,

Yeah, but the two problems with this is that Decker also struggles when he's covered like a #1 WR, and struggles to stay on the field, anyway. The whole team is learning a new offense this year, I have no problem with Mac's picks at WR being thrown into the fire. 

Archived