2018 Mets thread

adb280z

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, faba said:

That sums it up so far for Alderson and his lack of moves/ Whole free agent market is at a standstill teams are waiting it out to pay less

I think the FA class for next year being insane has something to do with it. Teams trying to save their bread to get in on the Harper and Machado biddings because of the luxury tax.

The Pirates and Mets have again engaged in some talks involving long-time Bucs star Andrew McCutchen, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (via Twitter). As things stand, though, it seems there’s no reason to believe the Mets are a particularly likely destination. The 31-year-old looks to be a solid value after a nice bounceback season, but at $14.75MM on a one-year commitment he’s not exactly teeming with value, either. And that’s still a big payroll hit for the Mets, who are reportedly looking to upgrade in several areas without greatly increasing their 2018 financial commitments. From the Pittsburgh perspective, of course, the team seems mostly still to be considering arrangements that will maximize resources without fully committing to win-now or future-oriented extreme. That’s the broad takeaway from the mailbag of MLB.com’s Adam Berry, who nicely covers a variety of topics of interest to Bucs fans.

What just a loser franchise....You guys are strong people for rooting for two straight up bitch ass beta franchises.  

6 hours ago, faba said:

Mets do not have top prospects to realistically offer that would be close to major leagues. Poor drafting and tightwad ownership- life of a Met fan

Nah I don’t think missing McCutchen is a big deal for the Mets, just in general...Bitching about the Yankees’ spending earlier was just embarrassing. 

When the ball ran under Bucker's legs (I still say the Mook would have beat it out) and they lived to fight another day, I turned around to my friend behind me and said, "now, no matter whatever happens with the Mets or Jets, we can never complain". He raised a finger and said "Not yet". Two nights later, when Jesse was falling to his knees, he tapped me on the shoulder and said "NOW we can never complain". Everything since that night has just been a bonus.  

I feel bad for the folks that became Mets fans after that wonderful time. Affordable tickets in great locations in an open stadium, same great people there every day and years of pennant races. It will never get that good again as long as this ownership remains. Still, can't wait for ST games to start 

On 1/3/2018 at 1:55 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I think the FA class for next year being insane has something to do with it. Teams trying to save their bread to get in on the Harper and Machado biddings because of the luxury tax.

Agents can't use the Yanks or Dodgers to drive up bidding, cause both are waiting for next year.

On 1/8/2018 at 8:48 AM, chirorob said:

Agents can't use the Yanks or Dodgers to drive up bidding, cause both are waiting for next year.

Yup. Aside from how much it sucks having to see him crush it for the Sith now, in theory the Stanton trade should be a really good thing for the Mets. Got him out of the division and the NL, and more importantly now nobody knows what the hell the Yankees are actually going to do in 2019. For bargain hunting teams like the Mets that should be a good thing; but then again who the hell knows what the Wilpons are allowing Sandy to spend. Probably nothing because we suck.

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yup. Aside from how much it sucks having to see him crush it for the Sith now, in theory the Stanton trade should be a really good thing for the Mets. Got him out of the division and the NL, and more importantly now nobody knows what the hell the Yankees are actually going to do in 2019. For bargain hunting teams like the Mets that should be a good thing; but then again who the hell knows what the Wilpons are allowing Sandy to spend. Probably nothing because we suck.

I don't know what the Yanks are thinking.

No way they are in on Harper.   Maye Machado, but they may have a 3B prospect coming up. 

It's not collusion, these guys are asking for crazy money, and teams are finally learning that giving a 30 year old a 6 year contract is not smart.

42 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Good news guys, we resigned Jennry Mejia. If he can get reinstated we're giving him $1.7 million. That's actually happening.

Yes we resigned a guy for 1.7 million because we know we do not have to pay him- Wilpons

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

I don't know what the Yanks are thinking.

No way they are in on Harper.   Maye Machado, but they may have a 3B prospect coming up. 

It's not collusion, these guys are asking for crazy money, and teams are finally learning that giving a 30 year old a 6 year contract is not smart.

I dunno man, it's hard to believe that 32 teams just magically decided to take the same exact approach in the same year. Like I'm not sure it's a leaguewide conspiracy, but something is definitely f-cky.

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I dunno man, it's hard to believe that 32 teams just magically decided to take the same exact approach in the same year. Like I'm not sure it's a leaguewide conspiracy, but something is definitely f-cky.

WHo are the big FA that should have been signed?  a 30 year old power hitter that wants a 7 year contract?

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I wonder if they're setting this up so they can try to move Yo by the break.

I don't believe so. I think Lagares will possibly be moved soon.

There is no guarantee that Conforto will be ready to go early, and they will take their time with him. 

Bruce will also serve some time platooning with Smith at 1st.

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't believe so. I think Lagares will possibly be moved soon.

There is no guarantee that Conforto will be ready to go early, and they will take their time with him. 

Bruce will also serve some time platooning with Smith at 1st.

That's my biggest worry. That they're not as high on Dom as they were at this time last year.

The deadline for MLB teams and their arbitration-eligible players to submit salary figures for 2018 is tomorrow, Saturday, Jan. 18. In the the event player and team can not reach agreement before Saturday, an arbitration hearing will be scheduled for February. However the two sides can still negotiate before going to court...

12:43 am: Matt Harvey, who will be a free agent after next season, will get a $500,000 raise and earn $5.6 million next season, according to USA Today's Bob Nightingale.

Archived