Sign in to follow this  
Sully80

If Jets lose out on Cousins and Draft goes this way, what's the plan?

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

:unsure: Way too many question marks.  Is he smart enough to make pro reads ? Can he stay healthy with his style of running the ball so much ? Can he make the major changes to his style to be an NFL QB? Has he ever gotten to his progressions from the pocket ? These are question the scouts are asking.

These are question marks to uninformed scouts, the people who know him know he is smart, dedicated, coach able, watched him improve in the pocket with huge strides every season, and has never been injured.

On 2/12/2018 at 2:22 PM, Mike135 said:

Try to tank successfully in 2018.  Keep building youth.  And save for a massive spending spree in 2019.

If they blow the tank again in 2018...  Try again in 2019.

Repeat until successful.

Exactly. Name Hack your QB for 2018. And pray that the 2019 includes an elite QB prospect. 

But that won’t happen. Jets will screw up, sign another stop gap QB that won’t spend more than two years here. Jets win 5 games and the vicious cycle continues....

5 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Exactly. Name Hack your QB for 2018. And pray that the 2019 includes an elite QB prospect. 

But that won’t happen. Jets will screw up, sign another stop gap QB that won’t spend more than two years here. Jets win 5 games and the vicious cycle continues....

Image result for jake fromm

On 2/13/2018 at 9:15 AM, bla bla bla said:

I just don't see this as possible, I'd be furious if the Jets get out bid for that #3 pick. We have more ammo than anyone that would trade up, there is no excuse.

The Jets will get outbid bc Mac n Bowles will do what’s best for Mac and Bowles. Hard to believe the Owner of a team valued over $2B allows a coach and GM to operate where #1 priority is to get another extension any way possible. As opposed to doing what’s best for the team = trading up for an elite QB prospect. 

2 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

The Jets will get outbid bc Mac n Bowles will do what’s best for Mac and Bowles. Hard to believe the Owner of a team valued over $2B allows a coach and GM to operate where #1 priority is to get another extension any way possible. As opposed to doing what’s best for the team = trading up for an elite QB prospect. 

I think its's Cousins or trade up, I'd be very surprised if we didn't do one of those. Cousins is obviously the 1st choice because it allows Mac to go BPA but I do think our team is in a better place to move up this year than in years past.

5 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

These are question marks to uninformed scouts, the people who know him know he is smart, dedicated, coach able, watched him improve in the pocket with huge strides every season, and has never been injured.

These are NFL scouts. They just might know how to evaluate a QB. NFL is a little rougher than the college game.

12 hours ago, Jetster said:

Perfect example of why the Jets have zero players worthy of 2nd contract except Leo.

How much do you pay Leo?  He is good, but that position is not worth what they paid Wilkerson, even when Wilkerson was good.

SO five consecutive quarterbacks will be taken gifting us either Barkley or maybe the BPA in Chubb.... yeah I can live with that.  Seriously, do people think these types of questions over?!

13 hours ago, estang74 said:

No way that draft board looks like that but if it does, Chubb for sure. 

Chubb or Davenport at 6 then use both second round picks to trade back into the first round for Rudolph or Jackson

13 hours ago, varjet said:

How much do you pay Leo?  He is good, but that position is not worth what they paid Wilkerson, even when Wilkerson was good.

Let’s see Mac gave Mo $100 million so $110 million?

On 2/26/2018 at 8:59 AM, Philc1 said:

Chubb or Davenport at 6 then use both second round picks to trade back into the first round for Rudolph or Jackson

you wont need to trade up for Rudolph and trading both second rounders to trade up when the Jets have a ton of needs to fill I don't think would be a good idea.

On 2/24/2018 at 4:49 PM, nycdan said:

I can't help myself.  Our last six 2nd round picks before Marcus Maye:

Christian Hackenberg, Devin Smith, Jace Amaro, Geno Smith, Stephen Hill, Vlad Ducasse, 

Yes...I would say damage was done :)

What a colossal waste of valuable draft picks.  A blindfolded Mike Tyson throwing darts at a list of Draft prospects would have given us better results!

On 2/12/2018 at 2:11 PM, Sully80 said:

Assuming Mac doesn't have the stones to trade up, the board falls like this:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Allen (trade)

4. Barkley

5. Mayfield

6. ????

Assuming the rest of the expected FA QBs are available, personally, I would bring in one of McCarron, Foles, or Keenum and draft Chubb if this happened. I'm curious to see what people on here think, because I don't believe its such an unlikely scenario. What is more likely than this however, is that Keenum, McCarron, Foles and the rest of the lot have already signed with a team or have been traded prior to the draft, which means we'd probably just have to sign up for McCown and Hackenberg :1cry:

Simple. Trade down there by gaining more picks and select Mason Rudolph with a 2nd rounder or select Nelson or McGlinchey with the 6th overall and still take Rudolph in the 2nd round.

2 hours ago, estang74 said:

you wont need to trade up for Rudolph and trading both second rounders to trade up when the Jets have a ton of needs to fill I don't think would be a good idea.

Rudolph is getting insanely underrated in this draft class

Assuming Mac doesn't have the stones to trade up, the board falls like this:
1. Darnold
2. Rosen
3. Allen (trade)
4. Barkley
5. Mayfield
6. ????
Assuming the rest of the expected FA QBs are available, personally, I would bring in one of McCarron, Foles, or Keenum and draft Chubb if this happened. I'm curious to see what people on here think, because I don't believe its such an unlikely scenario. What is more likely than this however, is that Keenum, McCarron, Foles and the rest of the lot have already signed with a team or have been traded prior to the draft, which means we'd probably just have to sign up for McCown and Hackenberg :1cry:

Eagles are not cutting Foles or letting him go.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

17 hours ago, Philc1 said:

He looked really good in the combine. I really didn't see much difference with him from the other QB's He's got an excellent arm. I could easily see him going late 1st or early 2nd.

18 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I don't see Rudolph lasting past Arizona at #15 unless they truly like Lamar Jackson better....which is being debated out here in Phoenix.  Local sports talk thinks it will come down to one of those two if the Cardinals do not trade up.

I actually expect 6 QBs to go in Round 1.  Wouldn't be surprised if New Orleans or Pittsburgh use their late 1st Round picks (27 and 28 respectively) to put young QBs behind Roethlisberger and Brees.  Jackson, Rudolph and Falk could all get consideration before Day 1 is done.  Just look at last year with many of the QBs going 5 to 10 spots higher than most people had them valued (Trubisky at #2?  Mahomes at #10? etc.).  Even if people are putting a 2nd round grade on Rudolph I wouldn't be shocked if he sneaks into the 1st Round.  Never know.

29 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't see Rudolph lasting past Arizona at #15 unless they truly like Lamar Jackson better....which is being debated out here in Phoenix.  Local sports talk thinks it will come down to one of those two if the Cardinals do not trade up.

I actually expect 6 QBs to go in Round 1.  Wouldn't be surprised if New Orleans or Pittsburgh use their late 1st Round picks (27 and 28 respectively) to put young QBs behind Roethlisberger and Brees.  Jackson, Rudolph and Falk could all get consideration before Day 1 is done.  Just look at last year with many of the QBs going 5 to 10 spots higher than most people had them valued (Trubisky at #2?  Mahomes at #10? etc.).  Even if people are putting a 2nd round grade on Rudolph I wouldn't be shocked if he sneaks into the 1st Round.  Never know.

Any of White, Lauletta or Falk will be better than Rudolph, IMO.

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You're entitled to your opinion, counselor. :) 

If we're not trading up for Darnold or Rosen, why just settle with Mayfield & overdraft him at 6 when we have 2 second round picks & we could take a guy that looks like he was designed to be a WCO QB in Kyle Lauletta? His accuracy was awesome yesterday, sure he had some trouble with some deep outs but even Brady doesn't throw many deep outs anymore. 

Aren't smarts, good footwork, a quick release & accuracy the 4 tenets of the WCO? Everything I read Darnold & Rosen are the concensus 1 & 2 best QBs in the draft. I would think the 2nd level is pretty much who you think fits the type of offense your running.

Big difference getting Chubb/Barkley at 6 + Lauletta, Michel/Chubb/Jones at RB in the 2nd round. Picking high in the 3rd we might see Daniels at Center there? 

Id be stoked with a draft of Bradley Chubb, Michel/Chubb or Jones at RB, Lauletta at QB and Daniels at Center. 

Sounds like the jets are already looking At plans B-H. 

Report: Jets fear Kirk Cousins is heading to the Vikings

Mike Florio

Then there were four. Eventually there will be one. And one of the four thinks the one will be the Vikings.

transparent-320x50.gif

Ralph Vacchiano of SNY reports that the Jets are taking the Minnesota threat seriously “after some informal, preliminary talks with his camp this week.”

Yes, informal, preliminary talks technically are prohibited. But they happen, every year involving every team. Any team that isn’t doing it has put itself at a competitive disadvantage. So if the Jets have had informal, preliminary talks with the Cousins camp, the Vikings have, too, and the planets are starting to align as to the quarterback’s future.

The Jets, per Vacchiano, have heard enough to move on to “Plans B and C and, if possibly D” at quarterback. Although the Jets believe, per Vacchiano, that they can offer more money and a better structure to Cousins, the Jets fear that Cousins would take less to go to Minnesota for a better chance to win.

In a Super Bowl week visit to PFT Live, Cousins spoke about the balance between taking less to win and getting full and fair franchise quarterback compensation.

The Vikings continue to be the ultimate wild card in the coming quarterback chase. With three of their own unrestricted free agents on the roster and multiple other options elsewhere (Cousins, A.J. McCarron, and theoretically Drew Brees), the Vikings have plenty of choices. The problem is that they eventually choose one, at the exclusion of all others.

Vikings G.M. Rick Spielman recently joined PFT Live to discuss the situation. Watch the interview and search for clues. For example, when Spielman says they plan to make a decision by March 14, does that mean they’re leaning toward re-signing one of their own? Or would they do a Brock Osweiler-style sight-unseen deal with someone they don’t know?

Spielman regards the situation as more blessing than curse, but there could be plenty of cursing if they pick the wrong guy — and if the guys they don’t pick end up thriving elsewhere.