I have a feeling.....

JOJOTOWNSELL

On 3/30/2018 at 3:12 PM, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

Macs drafts have had one common thread.  All his picks have been no brainers.  Williams was supposed to go higher and dropped into his lap, adams was supposed to go higher and dropped into his lap.

i believe that somehow, someway this trend will hold to form and Darnold will drop into his lap.  Don’t ask me why, don’t ask me how.....it’s just a very strong hunch. Macc is a lucky bastid when it comes to the first round

If you are talking no-brainers, then Barkley is the pick.  

On 3/30/2018 at 3:16 PM, MDL_JET said:

But is Darnold really a no brainer?

The cow on ice?

On 3/30/2018 at 10:47 PM, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Thank you.

It’s not all bad, from Penn St, Greg Buttle...Lance Mehl, place is great for LBs as other teams know.

But you’re really rolling some warped dice if you try picking ANY other position with a high draft choice from there..TE Kyle Brady over Sapp (I win another game of chess).  Todd Blacklege QB in that 1983 QB draft, KC sure regretted that.  There are tons more I can’t remember.

Barkley has all great athletic measurables, but I saw an interesting post where he never hit the 100 yards rushing marker in over 60 PERCENT of his career at Penn St.  I also read another post where he supposedly has a very bad time when he gets any type of contact behind the line of scrimmage.  I won’t lie and say I’ve seen much of his play, because I haven’t.  He just might not be the “All World, once in a Generation” back people are trying to sell him as though.

Yep, Penn State has never had any great players that weren't LBs.  Mike Munchack, Steve Wisniewski, and Jeff Hartings all sucked.  They never had any decent RBs.  Franco Harris, Lydell Mitchell, Curt Warner, and Larry Johnson were just as bad as Blair Thomas and Curtis Enis.  

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/30/2018 at 12:12 PM, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

Macs drafts have had one common thread.  All his picks have been no brainers.  Williams was supposed to go higher and dropped into his lap, adams was supposed to go higher and dropped into his lap.

i believe that somehow, someway this trend will hold to form and Darnold will drop into his lap.  Don’t ask me why, don’t ask me how.....it’s just a very strong hunch. Macc is a lucky bastid when it comes to the first round

Interesting & semi-true...

But this actually works against Macc. If there's a clear target -- then he takes the shot. But that would be Barkley or Chubb in this case. We traded up for a QB. The only name that's a "clear target" is Darnold and he won't be there.

Macc has to make a choice. His "choices" have netted us the likes of Lee, Hackenberg, Maye, Petty, Devin Smith... 

On 3/31/2018 at 8:59 AM, bitonti said:

since we are talking about Penn State in general they have a great crop this year. Gesicki, Hamilton, Apke they are all athletic freaks

Penn State RBs one could argue the curse was lifted with Larry Johnson. in terms of production, Barkley has 5000 career yards from scrimmage, 500 of those were kick returns. 

Barkley doesn't take contact behind the line and he doesn't drive through contact. That is both true. He's not a thumper, despite his size.

People say he's like a bigger Barry Sanders I'll give you a differnt comp: Curtis Martin. He's excellent in space, he is a finesse player who avoids big hits and he's great catching the ball in space on a screen play or in open field. Early career Curtis used to break 80 yard tds for Parcells in NE. Barkley is also one of the best pass protecting backs in the draft, which means he's able to start day 1.  QB3 isn't going to start day 1.  He might not even play year 1. 

Barkley has power back size but his unwillingness to take on contact and power through it (like Zeke and Fournette) means he will have a longer career than most RB. Like Curtis Martin. 

He is a once in a generation type back. He has SParq scores better than 99% of all current NFL rbs. He's even the type of guy you can put back there on a 60 yard FG and he could run it back when it falls short. He's the offensive gamebreaker they haven't had since Curtis and Santana Moss but he's 230. 

In my conscious brain I know there's very little chance of this happening but I still hope it does happen.

There is pretty much exactly zero chance of this happening. We will see on Barkley. He looks to be a fantastic project but sometimes RBs that are more dual threat types of RBs that are more elusive than physical dont translate to the NFL quite as well as expected. I think his floor is still a very very good running back so he is a safer pick than QB in that way, but he may not turn out to be the next Jim Brown.

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Interesting & semi-true...

But this actually works against Macc. If there's a clear target -- then he takes the shot. But that would be Barkley or Chubb in this case. We traded up for a QB. The only name that's a "clear target" is Darnold and he won't be there.

Macc has to make a choice. His "choices" have netted us the likes of Lee, Hackenberg, Maye, Petty, Devin Smith... 

Great point, beyond the obvious gifts that dropped in his lap at the 6th pick, when Mac has had to actually make decisions he has been pretty bad IMO.  Maye over Cook, Stewart over Hunt....etc, etc.  

On a side note......the next great Clemson WR is about emerge in a big way this year.  Check out Tee Higgins, if you liked Mike Williams you’ll love this kid.  

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

There is pretty much exactly zero chance of this happening. We will see on Barkley. He looks to be a fantastic project but sometimes RBs that are more dual threat types of RBs that are more elusive than physical dont translate to the NFL quite as well as expected. I think his floor is still a very very good running back so he is a safer pick than QB in that way, but he may not turn out to be the next Jim Brown.

when we look back on this draft it won't be about the QBs it will be how did anyone pass on Barkley and to a lesser extent, Quenton Nelson. 

The Giants should take Barkley at 2. Eli Manning knows how to throw a dump off pass. 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

when we look back on this draft it won't be about the QBs it will be how did anyone pass on Barkley and to a lesser extent, Quenton Nelson. 

The Giants should take Barkley at 2. Eli Manning knows how to throw a dump off pass. 

I actually think that thus is the year of the nitpick and that all of these of these QBs will pan out. I think if only 1 or 2 of these QBs were in the draft they would be hugely hyped, but since there is 4 people are finding any flaw they can to separate them. You seem to be on the other side of that fence and think they all suck and want to pick none of them.

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I actually think that thus is the year of the nitpick and that all of these of these QBs will pan out. I think if only 1 or 2 of these QBs were in the draft they would be hugely hyped, but since there is 4 people are finding any flaw they can to separate them. You seem to be on the other side of that fence and think they all suck and want to pick none of them.

no they are all good prospects. It's a better than average QB year at the top end.  Darnold or Mayfield are worth the pick. Josh Allen, Rosen and Jackson they didn't need to trade up to 3 to get. That's just me. I am increasingly Ok with Baker Mayfield.

but Saquon Barkley wins more games next year by himself than any of these picks and I don't buy the idea of a multi year rebuild where the QB learns forever. IT's a one year reload every year. If the board goes Darnold 1 and Mayfield 2 I hope they bail on the position before taking a Josh. 

On 3/30/2018 at 3:12 PM, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

I have a feeling also. Numness in my backside after my Mod Lounge invite last nite.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived