Jets Sign TE Bucky Hodges

JETSfaninNE

Just now, Greenseed4 said:

Yeah but do you think he’s good enough to make the team?

Hell yes I do the kid can play very talented he was on the roster most of last season, played really well when given an opportunity against NE in the last game. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

He "looks like a wide receiver" because he WAS a WR at Va. Tech. Vikes converted him to TE with the note he was "as raw as they come."

I always hate when they try to convert big WRs into in-line tight ends. It never works out and it wastes what they do well.

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

point is, they don't love leggett and for all we know, he's not healthy.  

oh no a football coach / executive told a white lie to the media...there's a newsflash. They had 3 TEs going into this week. Now they have 5..Offseason roster size is 90.. Weird how they want to have more than 3 TEs for OTAs/training camp..really strange

Born in Virginia Beach, Virginia to Temuchin Hodges and Kimberly Thompson, Hodges attended Salem High School, where he played quarterback for coach Robert Jackson. Growing up, he admired former Ohio State quarterback and current Redskins wide receiver Terrelle Pryor, and as a quarterback, Hodges modeled his game after him

Originally recruited as a pro-style quarterback, Hodges arrived at Virginia Tech as the presumed heir to Logan Thomas at quarterback, but converted from quarterback to tight end during the spring of 2013 and earned the "Coaches Award for the offense" for his exceptional spring session. In 2013, Hodges redshirted while working with the scout team as both a quarterback and tight end.

41 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm offended that some of you are pretending like you know who Bucky Hodges is.

he was a name last year - in the fabled TE class to end TE classes. He was often ranked at the bottom of the top 5.... In fact, if you haven't heard of him, that's a problem.

50 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Found this on Reddit:

Apparently he was waived at the end of preseason with a head injury. The Vikings gave him an injury settlement instead of leaving him on IR, then he spent a few weeks on the Panthers practice squad, and he's been a FA since late October.

I remember that actually now that you say that. That's why i thought he wasn't even rostered. At some point last year, i was like WTF is going on in MIN, they waived MyCole Pruitt, Bucky's no where to be seen - instead that blocking TE from UTSA Morgan is getting all the snaps. 

Honestly though, when you watched bucky go through drills and sh*t, he did not look good. He tested well athletically, but looked awkward, stone hands, and stiff hips. That's why he dropped to the 6th and after 1 month and camp - they said "whoops. fck it, just cut him."

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

he was a name last year - in the fabled TE class to end TE classes. He was often ranked at the bottom of the top 5.... In fact, if you haven't heard of him, that's a problem.

I agree. He was initially considered one of the more attractive TE prospects and PLUMMETED in the draft. I'm surprised he's been given up on so quickly after being drafted, but that only validates his drop in the draft; a camp body who may surprise if the opportunity arises. 

giphy.gif

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I always hate when they try to convert big WRs into in-line tight ends. It never works out and it wastes what they do well.

Agreed Most often they can't learn to block and are a waste as a TE. Word last year in TC was that Hodges was "vastly improved" with his blocking. That's why they cut him on a injury settlement as opposed to keeping him on IR.

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

I agree. He was initially considered one of the more attractive TE prospects and PLUMMETED in the draft. I'm surprised he's been given up on so quickly after being drafted, but that only validates his drop in the draft; a camp body who may surprise if the opportunity arises. 

giphy.gif

Possible upside little risk

20 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

They're kind of throwing a lot of flyers to the wall and seeing what sticks at TE this year. I'm relatively okay with that.

Yup little risk. Hopefully there's a surprise there somewhere. Now if we had only resigned ASJ we wouldn't be going thru this sh*t.

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I remember that actually now that you say that. That's why i thought he wasn't even rostered. At some point last year, i was like WTF is going on in MIN, they waived MyCole Pruitt, Bucky's no where to be seen - instead that blocking TE from UTSA Morgan is getting all the snaps. 

Honestly though, when you watched bucky go through drills and sh*t, he did not look good. He tested well athletically, but looked awkward, stone hands, and stiff hips. That's why he dropped to the 6th and after 1 month and camp - they said "whoops. fck it, just cut him."

Sep 3, 2017

Hodges suffered a concussion in the preseason finale against the Miami Dolphins, which will allow the Vikings to move him to injured reserve. Once Hodges recovers from his concussion, there is a chance that the team might reach some sort of injury settlement with him so that he can gain his outright release.

Sep 12, 2017

Hodges (head) was waived by the Vikings off injured reserve Tuesday after both sides reached an injury settlement, Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports.

Hodges was waived/injured by the club during final roster cuts prior to Week 1, and he reverted to the IR. He now is free to find a new opportunity once he fully recovers from his head injury.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/9/3/16250284/vikings-waive-bucky-hodges-with-injury-designation

5 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Yup little risk. Hopefully there's a surprise there somewhere. Now if we had only resigned ASJ we wouldn't be going thru this sh*t.

Macc is best at this finding the needle in the hay stack player, the barn find, flea market find, or resurrecting a players career so far who has brought in that would be considered any good. 

31 other NFL teams pass on these guys..........not the NY Jets. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Macc is best at this finding the needle in the hay stack player, the barn find, flea market find, or resurrecting a players career so far who has brought in that would be considered any good. 

The above mentioned ASJ for one.

47 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I like this simply because I don't think we've ever had a Bucky on the roster before.  Amirite?

1 minute ago, Fantasy Island said:

no, but we had a dang Bubby.

We have a Lucky too! 

Just now, Thai Jet said:

The above mentioned ASJ for one.

ASJ was a JAG 

11 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Agreed Most often they can't learn to block and are a waste as a TE. Word last year in TC was that Hodges was "vastly improved" with his blocking. That's why they cut him on a injury settlement as opposed to keeping him on IR.

“Oh, you were a large, athletic, prolific pass catcher in college? Cool. Cool. Hey, crouch down here and get your facemask pushed in by this defensive end for a sec, would you?” 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

We need @Untouchable , our resident VA Tech expert, to chime in. 

I really liked him coming out. Don’t know what caused him to fall so far in the first place. For a long time he was being talked about as a Top 3 TE in that class and a potential late 1st/early 2nd rounder. I thought he’d be off the board way earlier than a guy like Leggett.

He’s essentially an oversized receiver who offers dick as an in-line blocker at the position...but I think you can say that about most of the TE’s who have come out of college over the last decade.

Hopefully he can at least stick to the roster, if not give guys like Walford and Tomlinson a run for the starting job.

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

JAG mediocre TE stats and dropped ball cost us a game. 

League office said , post facto, that the ref was wrong. It should have been a catch. Furthermore if we had won that game we would have been drafting what 10th ? 11th? instead of 6th.

6 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

League office said , post facto, that the ref was wrong. It should have been a catch. Furthermore if we had won that game we would have been drafting what 10th ? 11th? instead of 6th.

The game went in the L column we lost according the catch rule at the time.. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The game went in the L column we lost according the catch rule at the time.. 

Yes I know that because of that a$$ in NY Al Riverton whatever overturning it. Wasn't ASJ's fault , he made the catch. Also saying that if we had won that meaningless game we'd be drafting 10th or 11th instead of 6th (before the trade)

3 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Yes I know that because of that a$$ in NY Al Riverton whatever overturning it. Wasn't ASJ's fault , he made the catch. Also saying that if we had won that meaningless game we'd be drafting 10th or 11th instead of 6th (before the trade)

ASJ was a JAG regardless. 

Year
Team
REC
YDS
AVG
LNG
TD

Career

24 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

ASJ was a JAG regardless. 

Year
Team
REC
YDS
AVG
LNG
TD

Career

Can you explain to me why ASJ is a jag with the numbers that you posted but you claim that Neal Sterling is a kid who can play, very talented, in  2017 he had 6 receptions for 82 yards and in 2016 with the Jags he had 12 receptions for 110 yards.

Archived