Does it Really Matter WHO we draft at QB???

JohnnyLV

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

It doesnt matter if your a day 1 starter or not. We gave mccown $10 million bucks to start the season as qb and show the rook the ropes.

We are not like these other teams who have to put the rookie in right away.  Its a huge advantage for us to have the rookie sit on the sidelines for 8 weeks to learn.  

We are in a great situation here.

I completely agree. Having said that if a guy like Rosen is ready to play you play him.

Seattle gave Matt flynn $10m guarenteed and a 3rd round pick (Wilson) ended up the starter. Same thing could happen.

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are not competing for a Super Bowl this year.  There is no need to rush a young qb in there.

You let McCown play half the season and then let mayfield/rosen start the second half of the year.

We are in a great situation here.  Bowles will be fired after this year and we will get an offensive coach moving foreard.

That will change everything including the QB because he didn’t draft him and then we can go through it again in four years. 

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I’d argue that your scenario is likely, but not a given. It’s not unreasonable to think a top 3 QB makes us more competitive than McCown. He sucks at football.

Lol dude he was on pace for 4K yardage before he went down, on the jets ! Lol. Qbr 94.5, 67% comp. 18td 9 ints. In 12 games ? Sadly that is like the best qb season of a jet since broadway joe ? Over 12 games. Ok at least top 5 ha.  With a crap line.. I’m hoping mayfield or whoever puts up those numbers by his 3rd yr. We do have more weapons on O this yr, will see if he can repeat. When ever the rookie is ready he plays, but we have no reason to rush him early on.

You know how when your first-born comes out beet red, has a smooshed face and a cone head, and you secretly think it’s gross but you tell yourself (and his mother) that he’s the most beautiful baby in the world.

Fully aware that the nurses know he’s got a face only his parents could love, you shine on their false compliments. And you just “try” really hard to love him. And then... with time and patience, he grows on you, and develops the most perfect little face you’ve ever seen. 

It’s like that with our QBs...

except they never develop. 

I agree with the OP. If Bowles had his say, which thank God he doesn't ANYMORE, does anyone really think he would take a QB? Hell no!

We are on our 3rd OC in Bowles 4 years. That is astounding. That is an awful situation to bring a rookie QB into, particularly when you consider that this team has ignored the offense in the draft for the past what, 10 years  now?

I have said this before, and I will say it again. You want to look smart on the interwebz? Predict whoever the Jets draft at 3 to be a bust, you will have about a 90% chance of being correct.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol dude he was on pace for 4K yardage before he went down, on the jets ! Lol. Qbr 94.5, 67% comp. 18td 9 ints. In 12 games ? Sadly that is like the best qb season of a jet since broadway joe ? Over 12 games. Ok at least top 5 ha.  With a crap line.. I’m hoping mayfield or whoever puts up those numbers by his 3rd yr. We do have more weapons on O this yr, will see if he can repeat. When ever the rookie is ready he plays, but we have no reason to rush him early on.

Career loser.

5 hours ago, Pac said:

Agreed on Rosen but he'd have to have a hell of camp.  McCown is beloved in the locker room and is coming off a good year.  I know Rosen is touted as some kind of genius but I don't think he'll be ready to navigate Bates' O on day 1.

He can’t handle, handoff left, handoff right? 

5 hours ago, Pac said:

Agreed on Rosen but he'd have to have a hell of camp.  McCown is beloved in the locker room and is coming off a good year.  I know Rosen is touted as some kind of genius but I don't think he'll be ready to navigate Bates' O on day 1.

It takes months of dedicated hiking to truly master the Bates offense.

14 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Every time I get excited over the concept of us picking at QB at 3, a picture of Bowles pops into my head like a jump scare out of a horror movie.

I seriously think that with this Bozo at HC, we may have the second worst situation in the NFL to bring a rookie Top 3 QB into.

You all know, deep down in your bones that Bowles wants nothing to do with starting a rookie QB, since he is in essence a lame duck head coach, who thinks he needs to win to keep his job.

So McClown will start because regardless of the rookies play in TC, Bowles will stubbornly insist that the veteran JAG "gives him the best chance to win".

Oh we may hear, protestations of a "competition in camp" but that will only be for show. McClown will be the predetermined starter from Day 1.

But it will be worse than that. The offense will do nothing to build an offense that will highlight our rookies strengths.

Get ready to claw your eyes out as you read KRL Camp Reports where Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold got 9 snaps the entire day.

Nothing really will be done to develop the young guy, it will all be about Bowles playing all his veterans to eek out 7 wins and keep his job, and Mac has no juice whatsoever to dictate the QB strategy.

Only Chris does, but will he have it in him to force Bowles to have a real competition and focus 100% on developing the young guy, and playing him at latest by mid year?

I doubt it. Bowles showed his hand with his "we are looking at 6 or 7 players at three". No, Toilet. The Jets are looking at 4 players. They all play QB. But I guarantee you Bowles is campaigning even today to pick Barkley ("we need to run more") or Chubb (cant invest too much in defense, who needs playmakers?)

So Bowles in his mind is already red shirting whomever we pick. 

As Jets fans all we can hope for is that somehow our young QB is not permanently damaged by our buffoon head coach, and can emerge under the tutelage of our next head coach in 2019 like Goff did.

Make no mistake, whomever we pick at 3 is coming into a horrible situation to realize their talent.

Bowles will always play the guy most likely to lose by the fewest points

16 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Get ready to claw your eyes out as you read KRL Camp Reports where Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold got 9 snaps the entire day.

KRL has the power to FIX this by lying and saying they got 25 snaps a day.  How will we know?

Archived