July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just made my buddy mad because he sees me doing this and saw I picked Bruce Smith first and asked what abour Reggie White? I'm like Reggie was already picked and I'm of the opinion that Bruce > Reggie anyways ??‍♂️

He not talking to me for the rest of the day ?

Just now, King P said:

I just made my buddy mad because he sees me doing this and saw I picked Bruce Smith first and asked what abour Reggie White? I'm like Reggie was already picked and I'm of the opinion that Bruce > Reggie anyways ??‍♂️

Bruce Smith was a great pick but you’re high

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He was ahead of his time, the first true pass-rushing DT.  They didn't keep track of sacks then of course, but he had 148.5 in his career.  That would put him 6th all-time, and by far the most by a DT ever.  Another one of those "game-changers" not unlike Lawrence Taylor. 

Oh I agree.  He was awesome.  Very much the heart of the purple people eaters.  Obviously I think Mean Joe was the best of them all.  I'd put Page and one other guy right there at 2a/2b.  And there are a lot of really good ones behind them, including another Viking.  That's what makes this so interesting.  You have some people chasing pass rushing DEs while there are a handful of DTs that were simply amazing at it.  Should be hefty debate over all this in the bracket rounds.

6 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Bruce Smith was a great pick but you’re high

As a pass rusher Bruce was amazing. Plus he did it in a 3-4 most of his career, which makes it even more incredible.

He lined up on the right side and faced LTs, plus had less talent on the D-Line around him than Reggie did.

If Bruce was in a 4-3 his whole career, he'd have even more sacks than he ended his career with

So I did something dumb.  I started making my round 3 list.  Then I realized there's double picks so that's 22 picks just in round 3 before me not even counting the 9 or so more in round 2.  I could go 10-deep in my list and they might all be gone.  I should have waited.  *sigh*

4 minutes ago, King P said:

As a pass rusher Bruce was amazing. Plus he did it in a 3-4 most of his career, which makes it even more incredible.

He lined up on the right side and faced LTs, plus had less talent on the D-Line around him than Reggie did.

If Bruce was in a 4-3 his whole career, he'd have even more sacks than he ended his career with

I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't rank them Reggie/Deacon/Bruce in some order but I do think that's the order most would use.  Nevertheless, not a bad problem to have.

33 minutes ago, King P said:

I have Bruce over Reggie also

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ed Reed is a great pick there.  By far the best Safety available.  And since everyone's defense will be loaded, having a play-making Safety like that helps give Untouchable that little advantage. 

That was my thought process. With the truly elite pass rushers (LT, Reggie White, Deacon Jones, Derrick Thomas) off the board I figured a play maker like Reed was the best way to "stand out" on defense.

Junc Hutson is a good pick. 

It it will be hard/interesting to tell what persuades people to vote teams. Everyone will have a different perspective. 
Smart people realize what a steal Hutson is.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I like the Hutson pick too.  You look at his numbers relative to his era, and his productivity was incredible.  Regularly had more receviing yards by himself than several teams had in a season.  

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I like the Hutson pick too.  You look at his numbers relative to his era, and his productivity was incredible.  Regularly had more receviing yards by himself than several teams had in a season.  

Yeah, I can't knock the pick too much.  But for me, its hard to pick players from an era when black players weren't around.  Hutson would have still been dominant though. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah, I can't knock the pick too much.  But for me, its hard to pick players from an era when black players weren't around.  Hutson would have still been dominant though. 

You’re doing it wrong then. I don’t know why this is so hard for people. It’s relative to their time. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For me -- especially if I have not seen a guy play (I may be old but I am not that old) -- the best you can do is judge him relative to his era.  Relative to his peers, Hutson was dominant.

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

That’s why I took Montana and not LT. 46 players are gone by my next pick. I would of ended up with a 3rd/4th level QB.  

It really is wild how the modern passing game has diminished a lot of the older QBs by comparison. I mean, there are guys that we knew were “great” thirty years ago, but statistically they don’t stack up.

Archived