July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Although there were no official clocks on player 40's back then, the speculation is that Brown was in the 4.4's. He was a superb athlete in every regard -- world class lacrosse player as well. And he was an angry runner. He played football like it was a death match. You can't make train that into someone. You got it or you don't. If Brown would have played just a few more years (he stopped after 9 and in his prime) the career numbers he would have put up even in 12 game seasons would have been astronomical.

His official time in the 100 meter in track is 11.4 so I think a 4.4 is a little low. Either way his 40 time does matter it’s how he ran. 

16 hours ago, JiF said:

You realize there was another dynasty going on at the same time, right?

Plenty of HOF'ers struggle in big games.  That's a dumb point.

Namath isnt an all time great? Ok.  This was fun.

No, he helped start that other dynasty because he couldn't get the job done. SF was every bit as good as Dallas.

Sure but how many struggle more than they produce? And with the favorite?

No, Namath is not an all time great. He is a legendary figure but his play didn't match that legend.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

No, he helped start that other dynasty because he couldn't get the job done. SF was every bit as good as Dallas.

No, Namath is not an all time great. He is a legendary figure but his play didn't match that legend.

You morons are still going with this bullsh!t?  Give it up.

10 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Jim Brown to his era was clearly more dominant than either Taylor or Rice were in theirs. It's not even close. Brown was the Babe Ruth of football -- in another stratosphere from his peers.

LT changed the game. He is the most dominant defensive player of all time. I can see the Jim brown argument but you can get great RBs, there's only one LT.  Think of how pathetic the Giants were and he instantly changed that franchise. They weren't almost 20 years without a postseason app and LT changed that year 1.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Swap Aikman with Young and I think Dallas still wins as many titles as they did ??‍♂️

17 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

You certainly have a right to your opinion, although we're still talking HOF level QB's, so I'm not apologetic about picking the guy. It should be noted that when Montana came back from injury, even after his great run, the SF locker room was divided about who should lead the team. And the choice management made was Young. That should mean something as a question of head-to-head debate. The 49ers were really torn about whether to keep the greatest QB of all time or Young and went on to pick Young. And he became a HOF quarterback. Not bad.

I don't think the team was very divided and SF made the choice based on age/injury. Montana's lone flaw was durability and he just missed the 1991 season because of injury. It was an easy decision on the field made complicated by young struggling a bit in that 1991 season where SF missed the playoffs after 2 SBs and a conf title app(where they led while Montana was in the game) in the previous 3 seasons but Montana was 37 in 1993.  It was an easy decision.

4 minutes ago, King P said:

Swap Aikman with Young and I think Dallas still wins as many titles as they did ??‍♂️

I disagree. I think young was the better numbers guy and better talent but aikman was cool under pressure.  I think SF wins at least one more with aikman and Dallas wins at least one less with young.

Just a quick note on positions that show up in the spreadsheet -- several players appear in the spreadsheet at multiple positions.  Kevin Greene who NY Mick picked is included at both DL and LB.  He will show up in the spreadsheet at the first position listed (DL).  When Mick sets his lineup and build his team, he can put Greene at whichever position he wants -- the position that shows in the spreadsheet does not matter.

I think Ballin' PB just got the last of the truly great RBs.  Murder-yness aside, I put them at Brown, Payton, OJ.  There are outliers like Campbell who I would take on my team any day, but IMO guys like Sanders are not as good.  Guy was awesome, but all the jitterbug sh*t is not what a team is looking for. The other career numbers guys like Franco and Martin are pale comparisons.  IMO Bo Jackson is wildly overrated and I never liked Dickerson, though at least he was big and fairly fast.    

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

@greenwichjetfan I don’t pick again till 142. Almost 100 players will be gone by then. I’ll be taking players that aren’t making the HOF. 

No doubt. I'm loving this game so I don't want this to sound like a complaint, but when I signed up, I thought this was going to be a 10 or 12 team draft....which is why I wasted no time and was one of the first to sign up in the initial thread.

Just stating how much having this many teams hurts.

You still got 4 in the top 52 including a top 5.

In comparison, I got 2 in the top 52, none of which was even a top 20. Given the dramatic dropoff when talking about all time greats, having my 3rd pick at 95 is a serious disadvantage.

But still, I'm gonna do everything I can to field a competitive team.

3 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Although there were no official clocks on player 40's back then, the speculation is that Brown was in the 4.4's. He was a superb athlete in every regard -- world class lacrosse player as well. And he was an angry runner. He played football like it was a death match. You can't make train that into someone. You got it or you don't. If Brown would have played just a few more years (he stopped after 9 and in his prime) the career numbers he would have put up even in 12 game seasons would have been astronomical.

no doubt but you could argue the same for Earl if he'd stayed healthy.  His first few years were equal to Brown's. He led the league in yards his first 3 years and you could say his style was angry as well although I think in his case it was more about crushing insects who were dumb enough to get in his way.   Give him 2-3 more years at the pace his first six looked like and I think he'd be the clear #2 GOAT.  

Archived