July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You're shortchanging Lott.  Lott was a pro bowler at CB for a few years before he switched to S and lead the league in INTs a couple of times before he became just a banger.  I hope you feel these guys are hog-tied because that will leave more for me to draft. 

He was never just a banger, and as I said, he was a legendary player. Just noting that defensive backs were able to be much more aggressive in the past and it shaped their play. You can't separate that out. Lott wouldn't have been who he was without that all out aggression in his approach.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, King P said:

I wonder who's picking their players based on talent vs accomplishments, hmmm....

I think that is the issue.  It should be both and that is why I went Elway.  All-Time draft, I am not picking based on yards or # of pro-bowls or whatever.  Normally, when I do this kind of thing I pick a bunch of guys I love that won't be picked here - Eric Metcalf for slot WR/change of pace back, Ken Burrough #00 for WR and I end up with a Bert Jones, Neil Lomax, Dan Pastorini at QB.  Yeah, none of them would win this popularity contest, but they threw a nice ball and on a loaded team like we will have, look out!

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

He wasn't great in postseason. He was handed the keys to a dynasty and barely won one (again, thanks to Jimmy Johnson situation in Dallas).

1992- lost at home to Dallas in title game, played poorly.

1993- lost at Dallas in title game, played poorly.

He threw more ints than TDs in the 2 games and they were never competitive at Dallas.

1994 he was great

1995 vs GB- 0 TDs, 2 INTs in 65 pass attempts in another playoff game they didn't compete.

1996 got hurt early at GB

1997 lost at GB. Again more ints than TDs, led SF O to 3 pts.

1998 never blown call to win WC game after rice fumbled and they gave it back to SF then in div rd at atl threw 2 critical INTs in close loss. Again had more ints than TDs.

In basically 5 playoff losses( 3 at home by the way) he threw 3 TDs and 9 ints.  He had Jerry Rice in his prime and TO for a few years and accomplished this but yeah he was awesome in postseason.

You could legitimately do this with any of the QB's that we'll be selecting in this draft.

Suggestion.  3 hours is PLENTY of time to know you are on deck.  If a pick goes the full limit and you aren't ready within an hour, we should keep moving down the list.  The timer continues to be an hour until someone picks and then it goes back to 3 hours (which I think should be 2 after the 2nd round is over).

Thoughts?

Also - I updated the google doc and will try to keep it current while I'm online.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, literally I was like at his apex (1994) he was sensational and you responded with a 3,000 word diatribe that included "1994 he was great" in it. I don't think there's much to discuss here.

I'm picking based on the player in his prime, although nyjunc is  distorting here... 1992 ( against Cowboys threw for 313 yards, completed 71.4% of  passes while passing for one touchdown and rushing for another; threw two interceptions, but the final one came with the outcome of the game already decided). and 1993 (beat the Giants 44-3 in the division round and lost to Cowboys 38-21) -- playoff games were actually not bad at all -- he only led his team to 3 Super Bowls :). And junc's leaving out 1998, in which Young led the 49ers to finally defeat the GB Packers in the WC and put up career numbers in passing yards and touchdowns. From 1995 to 1998 he led the league twice in passer rating. Blaming Young for the rise of the Cowboy dynasty in the early 90's and the Packers in the mid 90's is a bit unfair.  Overall, Young's career was elite. I picked him because he was, at his best, a tremendously accurate and smart passer who could also run with the ball and put up great QB rushing totals. I believe he is underrated because he followed Montana at SF. But he was a great QB in his own right.

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Suggestion.  3 hours is PLENTY of time to know you are on deck.  If a pick goes the full limit and you aren't ready within an hour, we should keep moving down the list.  The timer continues to be an hour until someone picks and then it goes back to 3 hours (which I think should be 2 after the 2nd round is over).

Thoughts?

Also - I updated the google doc and will try to keep it current while I'm online.

I don't really give a ****, but IMO we picked a time limit.  Two hours or three hours doesn't make a big difference in the grand scheme of things.  I would generally prefer a window when I know I will be up.  There are just some times I woudn't be on the board.

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

You could legitimately do this with any of the QB's that we'll be selecting in this draft.

You can find bad games for any qb, can you find only one great run with mostly mediocre/poor play in postseason?

5 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I'm picking based on the player in his prime, although nyjunc is  distorting here... 1992 ( against Cowboys threw for 313 yards, completed 71.4% of  passes while passing for one touchdown and rushing for another; threw two interceptions, but the final one came with the outcome of the game already decided). and 1993 (beat the Giants 44-3 in the division round and lost to Cowboys 38-21) -- playoff games were actually not bad at all -- he only led his team to 3 Super Bowls :). And junc's leaving out 1998, in which Young led the 49ers to finally defeat the GB Packers in the WC and put up career numbers in passing yards and touchdowns. From 1995 to 1998 he led the league twice in passer rating. Blaming Young for the rise of the Cowboy dynasty in the early 90's and the Packers in the mid 90's is a bit unfair.  Overall, Young's career was elite. I picked him because he was, at his best, a tremendously accurate and smart passer who could also run with the ball and put up great QB rushing totals. I believe he is underrated because he followed Montana at SF. But he was a great QB in his own right.

He led his O to 20 pts in 1992 title game.

He led his team to ONE SB, the other 2 he was a backup to Montana.

Can't argue with his great reg season numbers where he had greatest receiver of modern era in his prime to throw to.  My issue with him is in January, he underachieved with the incredible talent around him.

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't really give a ****, but IMO we picked a time limit.  Two hours or three hours doesn't make a big difference in the grand scheme of things.  I would generally prefer a window when I know I will be up.  There are just some times I woudn't be on the board. 

We'll drop the time limit to 2 hours starting Round 3. 

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

You can find bad games for any qb, can you find only one great run with mostly mediocre/poor play in postseason?

Yes, tons.  Pretty much everyone other than Montana, Aikman (who lost 3 post season games with 3 INTs) and Brady.

Ever see Bradshaw's and Namath's post season numbers?  Rodgers has numerous games with more picks than TD's and only 1 run.

The criteria in which you're choosing to make your opinion is kind of stupid.

Young is one of the greatest to ever play.  Would I have taken him the first round?  No.  But it's not because of the criteria you've created. 

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Ronnie Lott in Round 1?

Maccagnan, is that you???

:P (Common.  Somebody had to say it.)

I thought about Ed Reed (my 2nd favorite all time non-Jet) over Singletary - and didnt just to avoid this joke. lol

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes, tons.  Pretty much everyone other than Montana, Aikman (who lost 3 post season games with 3 INTs) and Brady.

I can list multiple regular season, postseason, and super bowls where brady had bad to horrible games.

Montana went to 4 super bowls, won 4 super bowls, and scored 13 TDs and threw 0 interceptions in those 4 super bowls.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I thought about Ed Reed (my 2nd favorite all time non-Jet) over Singletary - and didnt just to avoid this joke. lol

Dude who are you? Reed is my 2nd favorite all time non-jet non-QB. 

My all time favorite non-jet list actually goes Favre, Moss, Reed.

I didn't want to take a QB here.  I've preached waiting on QB's all draft so far.

I wanted someone else to take Favre.  Between the last 5 games of his Jets tenure, the d*ck pics, and the turnovers, there's so much material to make fun of. 

But he was my last "Tier 1" QB.  The numbers are there, the Super Bowl is there, the "legendary games" (like that MNF performance after his Dad passed away) are there. 

With Dom already having Elway, I was ready to throw that pick on the board the moment he made his selection. 

Deacon Jones on one side of the ball.  Favre on the other.  Let's goooooooo.

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

I can list multiple regular season, postseason, and super bowls where brady had bad to horrible games.

Montana went to 4 super bowls, won 4 super bowls, and scored 13 TDs and threw 0 interceptions in those 4 super bowls.

Dude who are you? Reed is my 2nd favorite all time non-jet non-QB. 

My all time favorite non-jet list actually goes Favre, Moss, Reed.

lol - well, that's where we differ.  Like most Football fan nutjobs, I loved watching Favre.  But those final Diva years of I'm going to retire, no I'm not, wore me the **** out.  Couldnt stand him for his last few years.

My favorite all time non-Jets (I will leave out Gators alum because that could go long); Moss, Reed, Sanders, Deon, Montana

25 Jonathan Ogden* 24 Greenwichjetfan O OL
26 Mike Singletary* 23 JiF D LB
27   22 Lupz27    
28 Rod Woodson 21 Stark D DB
29 Eric Dickerson 20 Dunnie O RB
30 Earl Campbell 19 Long Island Leprechaun O RB
31 Dick "Night Train" Lane 18 #27theDominator D CB
32 Brett Favre 17 JetsFan80 O QB
33 Tony Gonzalez 16 Sourceworx O TE
34 Aaron Rodgers 15 KingP O QB
35   14 Obrien2Toon    
36   13 Jetlife33