July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Very fair question.  I suppose we'd just have to instruct the voters to vote the better overall TEAM, not the one that would be screwed by a particular matchup H2H. 

Basically people would have to assume a 4-3 team has a capable # 3 and 4 corner to sub in for nickle and dime packages.

Bigger question what rules are they going to follow. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Said every opponent he faced while putting up more yards than anyone in the history of the game.  I don't love small QBs either but he's just ridiculous.  And I am starting to build the OL that will keep him clean.

I hope you know this is 99% just me talking trash.  IMO the guy is mildly limited (only when discussing greatest all-time) and I do remember Rex shutting him down with a sh*tty Jets team and being miked in the lockerroom laughing about their "5'9" QB."  You can certainly win even an all-time contest with the guy.

4 minutes ago, King P said:

LMFAO. Blame @Jetlife33 for taking Ladanian Tomlinson. I was going back and forth between LT2 and Faulk, and had ultimately decided to go with LT2. When he got taken, had to go with my backup plan

Yep, I had Faulk # 1 and LT # 2.  You mother f*ckers.  lol.

Oh well, I'll settle for AP.  Couldn't catch passes for sh*t but an absolute beast. 

30 minutes ago, King P said:

I was happy to get Aeneas Williams though.

He's a Top 5 cover corner and gets completely underrated and overlooked when talking about the best of the best at CB

I love Aeneas.  He and Blount are both awesome.  I thought they both went a bit early, but I was mad when they were picked, so probably not. 

Everyone is dealing with the same problems.  I like how far everyone is going to have to reach to make picks.  It'll help separate the cream from the crop.  Otherwise everyone has a team full of HOFers, and its harder to distinguish them. 

Exactly. Anyone can assemble the Avengers in a pinch. Not so easy when the superheroes are off the board. Things will start to get real interesting post-5th round when it’s no longer about career accolades, and picks get personal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Exactly. Anyone can assemble the Avengers in a pinch. Not so easy when the superheroes are off the board. Things will start to get real interesting post-5th round when it’s no longer about career accolades, and picks get personal.

It's already personal!  

Very fair question.  I suppose we'd just have to instruct the voters to vote the better overall TEAM, not the one that would be screwed by a particular matchup H2H. 
Basically people would have to assume a 4-3 team has a capable # 3 and 4 corner to sub in for nickle and dime packages.

Actually that is part of the psychology behind the game. If you choose to field a very Bowles friendly team, and you’re playing a team that’s made up of violent ground and pound players, I’m voting for that team unless there’s another equalizer.

It’s all part of the fun. Not limiting, it’s liberating. Otherwise it’s just a popularity contest.

What if my team is more adaptable?  Say I have a box safety that can cover the top WRs against a 4 WR look, but play LB in a 3-4 or 4-3 (Jamal Adams)? 

This is what you to do to combat the above mentioned point. Pick scheme diverse players, build a scheme around your picks.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This is what you to do to combat the above mentioned point. Pick scheme diverse players, build a scheme around your picks. 

Yep.  I really liked @BallinPB's pick of Derrick Brooks for that reason.  An OLB who is outstanding in coverage is incredibly valuable in this setting.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Hard to check sh*t on Tapatalk. Tomlinson and Falk gone is what I hear?

Correct.

So many people complaining here that all the elite players are gone by the time they pick . This is a long draft. 24 teams and 22 players on each team. Elite players are going to go within the first three or four rounds, after that is when it gets interesting and individuals knowledge of schemes and players really comes into play. Fielding a well rounded team is what this is all about. It’s not about who has more HOF players. There are 310 HOF players and over 500 slots to fill. Not to mention current day players who WILL be HOF inductees. There’s plenty of talent out there.

I’m shocked that anyone would complain about lack of depth. There is sooooo much talent at every position. Just have to think outside the “NFL FILMS” box where they force feed you the same 2% of players historically

2 minutes ago, King P said:

There is more than enough players to go around.

Some some of the guys I'm thinking of picking I didn't even see listed on the spreadsheet

+1

Though I wish there were no spreadsheet lists.  I appreciate it to know who is gone, but make these ****s at least go to bleacher report!

Just to give Bobby Bell is due, here's a great little blurb from Wikipedia:

Bell was noted for his one-of-a-kind athleticism at 6' 4" and 230 pounds and was reported to have run a 4.5 40-yard dash. Bell was possibly the most physically gifted linebacker in professional football history, for his speed at such a size made him ideal at outside linebacker. He was noted as one of the finest open-field tacklers in Professional Football history, and if he missed, he had the speed to make up for it.

He was also a great blitzer from the linebacker position. Chiefs records show Bell had 40 career quarterback sacks and he might have had more if he had played right linebacker, not the left linebacker. In that era, more often than not the right-side linebacker got the call to "dog" or blitz since more often than not the tight end would be lined up on the right side (the defense's left). Since Bell was on the left, he usually covered more than he blitzed. He scored 9 touchdowns in his career: 6 off interceptions (tied for most in NFL history for a linebacker with Derrick Brooks),[3] 2 more touchdowns off fumble recoveries, and one off an onside kickoff return. Coach Hank Stram said that, "He could play all 22 positions on the field, and play them well."

RICHARD LAMAR DENT

SELECTED BY CHICAGO IN EIGHTH ROUND, 1983 DRAFT. . .AN INTIMIDATING PLAYER, COULD SPEED RUSH OR POWER RUSH QUARTERBACK. . .AMASSED 137.5 CAREER SACKS. . .RECORDED DOUBLE-DIGIT SACKS EIGHT SEASONS. . .LED NFC WITH TEAM RECORD 17.5 SACKS, 1984. . .FOLLOWING YEAR, LED NFL WITH 17 SACKS. . .SUPER BOWL XX MVP. . .NAMED FIRST- OR SECOND-TEAM ALL-PRO FOUR TIMES, ALL-NFC FIVE TIMES. . . SELECTED TO FOUR PRO BOWLS. . .BORN DECEMBER 13, 1960 IN ATLANTA, GEORGIA.

Archived