July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

Just now, New York Mick said:

IMO the QB is more important and you can get a passrusher at multiple positions. There’s only one QB. 

But LT is by far the best pass rusher ever.  Not even close.

Montana is only in the mix for best QB ever.  Still several QB's I'd be happy with left on the board.  But there's only one LT. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It really is wild how the modern passing game has diminished a lot of the older QBs by comparison. I mean, there are guys that we knew were “great” thirty years ago, but statistically they don’t stack up.

I’m going by how they did in their era.

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Fran Tarkenton was my guy. Needed him for my Run N’ Gun offense.

He was one of the two I strongly considered vs. Brees.  Very different player.  Excellent choice for the right kind of offense.  

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

I’m going by how they did in their era.

But that's the problem, isn't it?  We're going by how players did in their era.  The voters will be instructed to vote the same way.  Yet its unavoidable that they'd say "OK, would this team beat the other team head-to-head?", since we're doing head to head matchups.  And the more recent players will get the bias. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Montana is only in the mix for best QB ever.  Still several QB's I'd be happy with left on the board.  But there's only one LT. 

They’re both drafted top 3 in most expert drafts but they also only have 5 or 10 people not 24. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But that's the problem, isn't it?  We're going by how players did in their era.  The voters will be instructed to vote the same way.  Yet its unavoidable that they'd say "OK, would this team beat the other team head-to-head?", since we're doing head to head matchups.  And the more recent players will get the bias. 

It depends on the age of the voters. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I know where you're going with it.  There are very few players who were unarguably the best at their position irrespective of style of play or era with a significant dropoff to #2.

Lawrence Taylor, Jerry Rice are the easiest two in that category.  There might be a few more you could debate like Munoz or Jim Brown.

Over 1,200 players in the sheet, @HessStation.  1,220 to be exact.  And thanks to you and your Bo Jackson pick, I couldn't even get to the end of Round 2 without adding a player to the sheet. 

Good pick -- you sometimes forget how dominant he was before the injury.

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

It depends on the age of the voters. 

Well that's just it.  If I knew everyone voting was my age, I might do things a little differently.  But I know that if I take Sammy Baugh, or Bronko Nagurski at some point, a few guys will go "huh?", pretend they like the pick, and then completely ignore them when it's time to compare teams.  Even though they and many others were dominant players in their era.  Gotta play to your audience.  So anything before the 70s is risky IMO if your goal is to make a good showing in the brakets.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Well that's just it.  If I knew everyone voting was my age, I might do things a little differently.  But I know that if I take Sammy Baugh, or Bronko Nagurski at some point, a few guys will go "huh?", pretend they like the pick, and then completely ignore them when it's time to compare teams.  Even though they and many others were dominant players in their era.  Gotta play to your audience.  So anything before the 70s is risky IMO if your goal is to make a good showing in the brakets.

I’d rather be Dream Theater then Brittany Spears 

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I know where you're going with it.  There are very few players who were unarguably the best at their position irrespective of style of play or era with a significant dropoff to #2.

Lawrence Taylor, Jerry Rice are the easiest two in that category.  There might be a few more you could debate like Munoz or Jim Brown.

Jim Brown to his era was clearly more dominant than either Taylor or Rice were in theirs. It's not even close. Brown was the Babe Ruth of football -- in another stratosphere from his peers.

10 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Jim Brown to his era was clearly more dominant than either Taylor or Rice were in theirs. It's not even close. Brown was the Babe Ruth of football -- in another stratosphere from his peers.

Agreed.  And it's hard to compare him with later RBs like Payton or Sanders because their styles were so different.  But I wonder if peak Jim Brown was really that much better than peak Earl Campbell for example.  They were both terrifying beasts who ran through defenders (although Earl was fast and could also run around them).  But I get your point.

Wow WTF. Big Ben was the reason I went OL with my first two picks. I though I’d be able to save him for the 5th or 6th round after everyone took the HoF QBs. 

Nice pick @T0mShane. The only QB I ever feared during our ‘10 & ‘11 afc title game years, and my third choice all time of QBs to start a franchise with behind only Elway and Rodgers. 

Of all the guys already picked, this one hurts the most because I genuinely thought I’d have him to plug in well after I built some of the other parts of my team.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It really is wild how the modern passing game has diminished a lot of the older QBs by comparison. I mean, there are guys that we knew were “great” thirty years ago, but statistically they don’t stack up.

The level in which the pros are developing and harnessing their talents isn’t comparable. Every yr it gets more competitive. 

5 hours ago, New York Mick said:

That’s why I took Montana and not LT. 46 players are gone by my next pick. I would of ended up with a 3rd/4th level QB.  

Exactly. Which is why you grab the best QB you think is available first. Or not. 

7 hours ago, nycdan said:

Agreed.  And it's hard to compare him with later RBs like Payton or Sanders because their styles were so different.  But I wonder if peak Jim Brown was really that much better than peak Earl Campbell for example.  They were both terrifying beasts who ran through defenders (although Earl was fast and could also run around them).  But I get your point.

Although there were no official clocks on player 40's back then, the speculation is that Brown was in the 4.4's. He was a superb athlete in every regard -- world class lacrosse player as well. And he was an angry runner. He played football like it was a death match. You can't make train that into someone. You got it or you don't. If Brown would have played just a few more years (he stopped after 9 and in his prime) the career numbers he would have put up even in 12 game seasons would have been astronomical.

Archived