July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I assumed you were tlaking about Adderley.  Drafted by the Titans in 1961 -- first HOFer drafted in franchise history.  Could have been a Titan, but for some crazy reason he signed with GB instead.  What was he thinking???

Yeah I'm super pumped there too. Only reason not as much is bc I had some great dark horses for that spot. But Just couldn't pass him up. Too good.  Seems to be on every top 10 CB list and in the NFLN Top 100. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy crap, Tom, your two picks were my direct Alts for Newsome and Adderley. Both those guys are truly the most underrated players at their give positions. Keith Jackson is widely considered the greatest “all around” TE ever and Jerry Rice said Lewis is the strongest (best) CB he went against. Lewis was 6’2 ran a 4.3 and could jump out of the building. He’s the main reason I was gonna feel ok if Adderley was gone when I picked

18 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Holy crap, Tom, your two picks were my direct Alts for Newsome and Adderley. Both those guys are truly the most underrated players at their give positions. Keith Jackson is widely considered the greatest “all around” TE ever and Jerry Rice said Lewis is the strongest (best) CB he went against. Lewis was 6’2 ran a 4.3 and could jump out of the building. He’s the main reason I was gonna feel ok if Adderley was gone when I picked

Great minds, my friend. It’s cool to look at the names on these lists and remember how great we thought these players were at the time. Keith Jackson was a freak back in those days.

Last few picks and next few coming up -- plus a reminder that the clock is back to 3 hours per pick for Saturday and Sunday.  

@HawkeyeJet on the clock.

221 Raymond Berry* 10 BigO O WR
222 Emlen Tunnell* 10 BigO D DB
223 Jason Witten 9 UntouchableCrew O WR
224 Curley Culp* 9 UntouchableCrew D DL
225 Lou Creekmur 8 nyjunc O OL
226 Willie Davis* 8 nyjunc D DL
227 Nick Mangold 7 Patriot Killa O OL
228 Bobby Wagner 7 Patriot Killa D LB
229 Ozzie Newsome* 6 HessStation O TE
230 Herb Adderley* 6 HessStation D DB
231 Keith Jackson 5 T0mShane O TE
232 Albert Lewis 5 T0mShane D DB
233 Reggie Wayne 4 Paradis O WR
234 Kris Jenkins 4 Paradis D DL
235   3 HawkeyeJet    
236   3 HawkeyeJet    
237   2 New York Mick    
238   2 New York Mick    
239   1 BallinPB    
240   1 BallinPB    
241   1 BallinPB    
242   1 BallinPB    

I knew I could count on you @HawkeyeJet.  Kept wondering when someone would give Biletnikoff some respect.  Nice pick.  Still some other guys from that era that really surprise me to see on the board.

Either that or I am just overvaluing some of the guys that I loved watching as a kid.

10 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

That’s what you get for taking my other CB lol

i was surprised both Allens were still available. Marcus is a top 3 all around back in history and Eric should be in the HOF. 

I was actually going to take Marcus Allen a few rounds ago as my RB. But I ended up taking Jerome Bettis instead, because he's my favorite RB if all time. 

2 hours ago, King P said:

Good picks Mick.

Holt >>> Bruce btw, I kinda thought this was common knowledge too

Bruce had the longevity and better career numbers, but Holt had a better peak.  So for this draft's purposes, yeah, I'd say Holt gets the edge. 

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bruce had the longevity and better career numbers, but Holt had a better peak.  So for this draft's purposes, yeah, I'd say Holt gets the edge. 

He had the better career numbers because he played longer. He played 5 more years than Holt, yet only has 100 more catches and 1800 more yards

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

That’s what you get for taking my other CB lol

i was surprised both Allens were still available. Marcus is a top 3 all around back in history and Eric should be in the HOF. 

Yeah, it's interesting to see which great players have been left in the green room. Allen not only was versatile but he had a long career.

8 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

What you're forgetting is that those old timers were spry... not to mention bandylegged and obstreperous. This could make all the difference.

First time I've ever had to look up a word on JN. Thank you. 

11 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yeah, it's interesting to see which great players have been left in the green room. Allen not only was versatile but he had a long career.

But on the other hand, aside from the first few years of his career, he was never much more than a 200 carry back.  If I am building an all time team, I want a guy who carries the ball 20-25 times a game.  Over the last 10 years of his career, he never averaged more than 15 carries a game. 

Archived