July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Kind of ridiculous to act like people are "holding up the draft" on a Saturday night. People have lives away from the board.

Things have moved along better than I expected this weekend.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Having trouble following the spreadsheet.  Would have gone for Randy Cross to finish off my line. Hopefully Holmes and lights out weren't picked.  

You are good with Holmes and Merriman.  Although  I do not have Merriman's chemist/pharmacist in the sheet.

Nice pick, @Long Island Leprechaun

As a kid who gew up in the 70s, my friends and I all had a second team we would root for in the playoffs, after we finished with yet another 3-11 record.  For me, it was always the Rams and Isiah Robertson was one of my faves.  If those early 70s Rams teams had ever gotten past Dallas and/or Minnesota, he might be in Canton.  

19 minutes ago, Lith said:

Nice pick, @Long Island Leprechaun

As a kid who gew up in the 70s, my friends and I all had a second team we would root for in the playoffs, after we finished with yet another 3-11 record.  For me, it was always the Rams and Isiah Robertson was one of my faves.  If those early 70s Rams teams had ever gotten past Dallas and/or Minnesota, he might be in Canton.  

Thanks. I'm trying to be true to my defensive scheme, which is a traditional 4-3. I need speed linebackers off the edge and Robertson is historically known as one of the fastest LB's. Bobby Bell on the other side is also a great athlete. Urlacher in the middle gives me lots of range -- coverage and ball attacking guys. Ironic that I have Campbell as my RB, who flattened Robertson toward the end of his career and generated a ferocious piece of videotape for the ages. Can't run him over now! :)

3 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Thanks. I'm trying to be true to my defensive scheme, which is a traditional 4-3. I need speed linebackers off the edge and Robertson is historically known as one of the fastest LB's. Bobby Bell on the other side is also a great athlete. Urlacher in the middle gives me lots of range -- coverage and ball attacking guys. Ironic that I have Campbell as my RB, who flattened Robertson toward the end of his career and generated a ferocious piece of videotape for the ages. Can't run him over now! :)

Is that the famous spearing video?  You had better control your practices :)

10 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

System back

you dodged a bullet

Zone scheme backs are no more flawed, than a 1-dimensional between-the-tackles backs who struggle whenever their w/o a FB or outside an I-formation. There's only a handful of running backs (literally a handful) who you could slide into any offense and they'll go off. Priest Holmes was a dynamic slash and dash runner with a ton of wiggle and field vision. He would have done well in many offenses, but was a gem in that KC system. 

16 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

1978. Earl Campbell hit Robertson in the chest, knocked him over, and then ran right over him. Geez.

That's the one. 

That video is a big part of why I put him in the top-3 all time.  He was one of the only guys who was equally dominant with both his strength and speed.  He could run through, over or around almost anyone.  

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That's the one. 

That video is a big part of why I put him in the top-3 all time.  He was one of the only guys who was equally dominant with both his strength and speed.  He could run through, over or around almost anyone.  

Ripped Campbell's shirt off and he's still going in pads!! Terminator...

In fairness to Robertson, Campbell also ran over Jack Lambert and Jack Tatum. And man that stiff arm. Like Jim Brown -- defenders said when Brown stiff armed you, he actually punched you with a jab that would make you see stars --- like being hit by Sugar Ray Robinson. If this draft has nothing else, it's been a real treat to go back and see some of the videos of so many great players. Easy to forget just how good these guys were.

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Kind of ridiculous to act like people are "holding up the draft" on a Saturday night. People have lives away from the board.

6 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Kind of ridiculous we're getting punished for having plans on a Saturday Night, but I guess we need to keep things moving.

No one is getting punished.  You always have the option to send in a list.  I get that not many people have chosen to utilize it, but its available to you. 

Besides, at this stage in the draft, everyone's board is probably looking pretty vastly different, depending on which positions you have yet to pick.  I don't think getting skipped is nearly as big of a deal as it was earlier in the draft. 

Takes 10 seconds to check the board ESPECIALLY if you know your turn is coming up. Even 8 year old have smart phones. None of us should have to wait for 2 hours to make our picks. And no one should be bitching if they get passed over if their time is up. You SLOW you BLOW. 

52 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That's okay. I have a system. 

Didn't he score 65 TDs in 3 years?  He k of a system.

I have a system too.  It's called have the kind of defense that tears the heads off the offense and craps down their necks.  I missed out on a few guys that would have rounded that out (e.g. Tatum) but a man can dream...

Archived