July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HessStation said:

Lambert was the face but through my in- depth, quantitative google research for this draft, Jack Ham, was, in fact, considered better by most, “in the know”. Ham is also considered the greatest pure “outside” linebacker of all-time. Jack Ham was also drafted a whopping 62 picks later by The HessStation Gaslighters. 

maxresdefault.jpg

...Jack Ham everybody 

We were discussing lack of teeth.  Lambert > everyone.

But while we're on the other subject, it's pretty split.  Brandt puts Ham ahead but FWIW there are plenty that do the opposite.  None of it really means a thing but it's good debate stuff.  And you got GREAT value with that pick...no debate there.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/ranking-the-greatest-linebackers-in-nfl-history-lawrence-taylor-jack-ham-mike-singletary-040615

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2016/12/01/top-10-linebackers-in-pittsburgh-steelers-history/aoqrqqa/

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Hayes was sub-10 in borrowed shoes and ran what is still recognized as the fastest 4x100 split in them.

Not arguing he wasn’t fast. Just don’t try and chump Thorpe. It’s just plain stupid. 

22 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I LOVED bob sanders. Probably the only recent safety I really took a liking too. Only dominant for two years but without any doubt in my mind would have been top 5 all time if not for injuries . 

Only 5’8 but proved he can play the big man’s game at a high level.

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Who would chump Jim Thorpe?  I was wondering if he's be picked. Should be able to play some D too

Thought the medal comment was over the edge but ok. I debated taking him at all for the obvious reasons: played when football was just developing, played in the 20’s when athletes weren’t as well trained, played when no blacks were allowed etc etc etc  I’ve read much about him and he definitely had a mystical element no athlete can match. The questions arises however by the dubious ???Was he fast enough - YES Was he tough enough YES Was he skilled enough YES  The NFL announced their All Time Team and it included 3 RB’s Thorpe was #3. What other player played multiple sports? Deion, Bo and others but Thorpe played football, baseball and basketball AND was a celebrated ballroom dancer ?. He was the original Dancing With the Stars athlete. And of course who was able to achieve the ultimate feats he did in the Olympics. No doubt he belongs. 

7 minutes ago, BigO said:

Thought the medal comment was over the edge but ok. I debated taking him at all for the obvious reasons: played when football was just developing, played in the 20’s when athletes weren’t as well trained, played when no blacks were allowed etc etc etc  I’ve read much about him and he definitely had a mystical element no athlete can match. The questions arises however by the dubious ???Was he fast enough - YES Was he tough enough YES Was he skilled enough YES  The NFL announced their All Time Team and it included 3 RB’s Thorpe was #3. What other player played multiple sports? Deion, Bo and others but Thorpe played football, baseball and basketball AND was a celebrated ballroom dancer ?. He was the original Dancing With the Stars athlete. And of course who was able to achieve the ultimate feats he did in the Olympics. No doubt he belongs. 

I just made the medal comment cause they taught us in grade school about him losing them because he played semipro baseball. Figured eberyone got the same story.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I just made the medal comment cause they taught us in grade school about him losing them because he played semipro baseball. Figured eberyone got the same story.

Yea they made an example out of him since he was an Indian. Jealousy and hate reign supreme. Unfortunately it really destroyed his faith in people. Finally after so many years, pros can now participate in the Olympics so something good came out of him being judged. 

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Of course ‘history’ twists things like a pretzel to fit the ‘crime’.  

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I need you guys to understand the significance of the Wayne Chrebet selection.... because Tom Brady.

Imagine. 

No doubt. In researching players, positions etc Chrebet was an ideal slot WR and one of the top when he played. One of my favorite Jets of all time. Great pick ?

6 minutes ago, King P said:

@Paradis Kearse was the dark horse when I was choosing between Rice and Abe.

Dude really was sn athletic freak, it's a shame injuries robbed him of a HOF career

Yea, i remember his early years - wildly talented. He was going to be the next big thing in the NFl... It's too bad indeed. 

17 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I agree except for rogers ... he would have been sent to the ICU back in the day when you used to be allowed to tackle.

The fact that I disagree with that statement is irrelevant because if I’m picking a QB to start a franchise right now, we’d be playing by right now’s rules and circumstances. And right now, ARod is the best QB in the league, and has been for the better part of the last 7-8 years.

@Patriot Killa Bob Sanders is an intriguing pick I was considering.  If we're putting heavy weight on peak performance, its hard to top his 2007 season when he moved from FS to SS. 

2 INT's, 71 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 4 tackles for a loss, and 6 pass deflections en route to winning the AFC Defensive Player of the Year award, and almost doing so unanimously.

15 hours ago, BigO said:

I’ll never forgive Abraham for not playing  the playoff game vs. Raiders. He would have been thrown off the team had he played in the 40’s or 50’s where players played with injuries most would take a season off to heal.

This was the only hesitation I would have in picking him.  Part of me was glad he was taken by someone else. 

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

I need you guys to understand the significance of the Wayne Chrebet selection.... because Tom Brady.

Imagine. 

10 hours ago, BigO said:

No doubt. In researching players, positions etc Chrebet was an ideal slot WR and one of the top when he played. One of my favorite Jets of all time. Great pick ?

He's the reason for my stupid, childish username.  Loved Wayne.

Archived