Mike Maccagnan has built a Jets team he can believe in

Patriot Killa

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

A sack on first down in the first quarter is less valuable than a sack on third down in the fourth quarter. Mo had lots of the first variety and seldom anybof the second. And then he dogged it after getting paid. Not sure this is the hill you want to die on. 

Don't know what hill you're talking about.  I said more than once that after he got paid he dogged it and the signing turned bad.  Doesn't mean signing him was wrong move at the time.   Not with Mo coming off of 10.5 sack pro bowl season and seemingly on the rise.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

We still would have had to blow up the roster.  We would have had to pay Fitz, weren't going into the season with a rookie & Geno.  And when have we paid McCown 20 mil.?  Drafting a QB has nothing to do with Mo.

Nothing exists in a vacuum is right.  Like going on now about extending Snacks.  With Mo needing to be signed.  And possibly Sheldon.   Or thinking it's would be great in this vacuum to have this seasons draft picks back, completely ignoring the move up to grab Wentz would have cost us more picks that we used on Darnold.  A better prospect.  A vacuum?  

None of these needed-to-dos needed to be done. Not one of them. 

19 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

It just never seems to matter in Jets world; Either the GM/Coach is the worst at their jobs and should be fired after one year if the Super Bowl doesn't parade down Park Avenue. 

And any opinion otherwise, even if you criticize some of the moves and praise some of the moves, gets you lumped into a category.  It would be interesting to actually have a conversation where people could discuss "Yes, that was a terrible decision IN HINDSIGHT," and "Yes, that was a great move IN HINDSIGHT."  However, it always seems to be Terrible move in hindsight, lucky move in hindsight, idiotic move in hindsight, no credit is necessary because it was an obvious move in hindsight.....

Blaming begins in 3,2,1...........

SHOCKING a butt fumble was given to this.....thanks for proving the point so well AGENDA MAN!!

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

None of these needed-to-dos needed to be done. Not one of them. 

Take a poll on that at the time and I think it would have been proven otherwise.  This board was virtually in agreement Wilk and Sheldon was to be retained over Snacks because he was only a two-down lineman, and after season one with Mac and Bowles, A LOT of people bought into the narrative that we were better than we actually were and wanted Fitz resigned.  Bowles saying he was starting before he was on the team did NOT help the cause by any means. 

That first season was the worst that happened to us because I think ownership and management believed we were close, and so did many on this board.  But alas.....

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Cousins

Norwell

A.Robinson

S.Watkins

Suh

Suh?  Good starting point.  Jets announced they migh pursue, changed their minds, or CJohnson did and never made an offer.  LOL

Cousins?  We made an offer to Cousins? He went to Minny because they're a SB ready team.  A far cry "I don't want to play for the Jets, Bowles and Macc suck".  That's the SOJF interpretation.  He wants to win and unfortunately that wasn't going to let him come here.  Or anywhere else.  It is different.  

S Watkins? 

How about Aaron Rodgers? 

Teams don't sign every available FA that the media talks would be a fit.  They sign elsewhere for lots of reasons.  None of which are no one wants to play here or for a coach.  

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Suh?  Good starting point.  Jets announced they migh pursue, changed their minds, or CJohnson did and never made an offer.  LOL

Cousins?  We made an offer to Cousins? He went to Minny because they're a SB ready team.  A far cry "I don't want to play for the Jets, Bowles and Macc suck".  That's the SOJF interpretation.  He wants to win and unfortunately that wasn't going to let him come here.  Or anywhere else.  It is different.  

S Watkins? 

How about Aaron Rodgers? 

Teams don't sign every available FA that the media talks would be a fit.  They sign elsewhere for lots of reasons.  None of which are no one wants to play here or for a coach.  

I think good arguments can be made for why each FA didn't choose the Jets. But if indeed we had more than 1 FA turn us down to take less money elsewhere in a single off-season, the trend is a problem regardless of each individual player's reasoning.

7 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Take a poll on that at the time and I think it would have been proven otherwise.  This board was virtually in agreement Wilk and Sheldon was to be retained over Snacks because he was only a two-down lineman, and after season one with Mac and Bowles, A LOT of people bought into the narrative that we were better than we actually were and wanted Fitz resigned.  Bowles saying he was starting before he was on the team did NOT help the cause by any means. 

That first season was the worst that happened to us because I think ownership and management believed we were close, and so did many on this board.  But alas.....

Irrelevant what some people on a website felt. They don't call the shots, they are/were looking at things emotionally, and most of all they were all wrong. They cheer any time the team spends money on a veteran player, regardless of the move's wisdom. So he did not need to do these things and plenty of us said so at the time. 

Teams cut bait with better players than Mo - especially when they have 2 young players on the roster at the same position who weren't holding out for a $17m/year contract.

Teams cut bait with better QBs than Fitz (never mind how ridiculous and amateurish he looked in handling it). If the team traded up to #1 for a QB they absolutely did not have to still re-sign Fitzpatrick (which is what was being shoveled). It's pure nonsense. 

I don't get how it's a one or the other with Mo/Sheldon or Snacks. Snacks was up for an extension in 2015; time didn't suddenly begin with him as a soon-to-be-FA in Feb/March of 2016. The prior season we brought him back for 1 more year under the 2nd round RFA tag (under $3m) instead of extending this elite young run stopper for our 3-man line. With all the cap room inherited, that was pissed away on players you knew had a shelf life of 1-2 seasons (if that), extending him was a no-brainer. Players LOVE to sign contracts before the prior one has expired. Especially a player like Snacks, who hadn't earned crap to date. If he blew out his knee or badly injured his back, neck, etc. over the summer he could have lost out on his only payday opportunity. The most he'd have cost at the time was $6m/year and it's doubtful he'd have cost that much. Most people at the time figured around $4m, but call it $5m give or take 1. Fast forward a whole year, with another really good season under his belt, and now with the ability to get teams bidding on him, and it was still shocking he capped out at $9m/year (easily $2m more than anyone thought anyone would offer for him). He wouldn't have been near that a year earlier. 

Agree on Bowles and his dopey comments, but in a funny way it worked to his advantage. With Fitz having well-publicized kooky demands, surely citing TB's comments in negotiations, no one serious would have faulted the Jets for balking at the $16m+ per season he was seeking, especially if they'd then traded up to #1 for a QB. The Jets had a contract out there for 3 years $24m and no one else even made him an offer. 

The emotional optimism of people on the board - those who foolishly disagreed with me lol - is irrelevant. They were wrong. They always expect last year's numbers to be the new baseline for the following year. For example, as much as people eye-rolled at the citation of dropped interception numbers, they most definitely are meaningful, especially when you're thinking of bringing back that same QB the following season. It means those are the types of throws he was making, regardless of his actual stats, and dumb luck intervened so only 15 picks were caught out of >30 passes bad enough to be interceptions. When you ignore that, then your team-building plan is essentially to double-down on the repetition of improbable luck.  The team itself was just ok, but with several players at the "they're going to hit the wall any season without notice" phases of their careers. They benefitted from those dropped picks and what at times seemed like divine intervention in our schedule. 

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

S Watkins? 

How about Aaron Rodgers? 

Seriously? They didn't say they "might pursue" Suh. That is a lie. He made an offer to Suh in the $14m+ range and Suh didn't accept it. That the team pulled the offer back later, after a couple days of Suh shopping that offer around, doesn't therefore erase the fact that it was offered and not accepted. 

You can make up any excuse you choose, but no one gets turned down from that many high priced FAs in the same offseason when the team is throwing major money at them. 

What does Aaron Rodgers have to do with anything? The names in my post weren't some personal wish lit. They're the players Maccagnan wanted, made major offers to, and then each signed elsewhere for less money. 

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Seriously? They didn't say they "might pursue" Suh. That is a lie. He made an offer to Suh in the $14m+ range and Suh didn't accept it. That the team pulled the offer back later, after a couple days of Suh shopping that offer around, doesn't therefore erase the fact that it was offered and not accepted. 

You can make up any excuse you choose, but no one gets turned down from that many high priced FAs in the same offseason when the team is throwing major money at them. 

What does Aaron Rodgers have to do with anything? The names in my post weren't some personal wish lit. They're the players Maccagnan wanted, made major offers to, and then each signed elsewhere for less money. 

The Jets pulled out of pursuing Suh.  He didn't turn them down and sign for less money elsewhere. That's in your mind.  If they wanted to continue pursuing him they could have countered.  Like I'm sure he and his agent expected them to.  It's so ridiculous to say the Jets broke off negotiations but he turned them down.  

You can cry about all the uFAs that diss the Jets and turn them down, whatever works for you.  I mean you even know why.  Bowles and Macc is why they don't come here.  Have a quote or a crystal ball? 

12 hours ago, jgb said:

I think good arguments can be made for why each FA didn't choose the Jets. But if indeed we had more than 1 FA turn us down to take less money elsewhere in a single off-season, the trend is a problem regardless of each individual player's reasoning.

Are you saying the problem is Mac? 

The problem was the Jets weren't a good team yet (still not), didn't have an answer at QB yet, it's not easy to bring in FA's regardless of big money. They can still get a large amount of money with another team they feel is more established. 

17 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

S Watkins? 

How about Aaron Rodgers? 

two reasons they didnt sign here.  We had no QB and other teams were offering receivers that were hurt or had other issues with teams big money as if they were elite receivers. 

lack of QB hurt but lack of equal money hurt more-Sperm, If you are privy to the contract offers we made to the receivers please share, but my understanding is that the price got too steep to make sense and we have some quantity and quality at that position now

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The Jets pulled out of pursuing Suh.  He didn't turn them down and sign for less money elsewhere. That's in your mind.  If they wanted to continue pursuing him they could have countered.  Like I'm sure he and his agent expected them to.  It's so ridiculous to say the Jets broke off negotiations but he turned them down.  

You can cry about all the uFAs that diss the Jets and turn them down, whatever works for you.  I mean you even know why.  Bowles and Macc is why they don't come here.  Have a quote or a crystal ball? 

We pulled out because we knew Suh and his agent were using the jets to manufacture leverage with LA.  Suh had no intention of signing here because Bowles is the NFL’s second worst coach and Mac built a bad roster

55 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We pulled out because we knew Suh and his agent were using the jets to manufacture leverage with LA.  Suh had no intention of signing here because Bowles is the NFL’s second worst coach and Mac built a bad roster

All things being equal most would prefer to play with a chance to win a super bowl.  Thats why so many sign with the Pats for cheap.  Who can blame them, its certainly what I would do. Also NY/NJ has higher taxes than most of the country so that doesnt help either.  Once we are solid and winning we will get our share of FA and then some.

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Irrelevant what some people on a website felt. They don't call the shots, they are/were looking at things emotionally, and most of all they were all wrong. They cheer any time the team spends money on a veteran player, regardless of the move's wisdom. So he did not need to do these things and plenty of us said so at the time. 

Teams cut bait with better players than Mo - especially when they have 2 young players on the roster at the same position who weren't holding out for a $17m/year contract.

Teams cut bait with better QBs than Fitz (never mind how ridiculous and amateurish he looked in handling it). If the team traded up to #1 for a QB they absolutely did not have to still re-sign Fitzpatrick (which is what was being shoveled). It's pure nonsense. 

I don't get how it's a one or the other with Mo/Sheldon or Snacks. Snacks was up for an extension in 2015; time didn't suddenly begin with him as a soon-to-be-FA in Feb/March of 2016. The prior season we brought him back for 1 more year under the 2nd round RFA tag (under $3m) instead of extending this elite young run stopper for our 3-man line. With all the cap room inherited, that was pissed away on players you knew had a shelf life of 1-2 seasons (if that), extending him was a no-brainer. Players LOVE to sign contracts before the prior one has expired. Especially a player like Snacks, who hadn't earned crap to date. If he blew out his knee or badly injured his back, neck, etc. over the summer he could have lost out on his only payday opportunity. The most he'd have cost at the time was $6m/year and it's doubtful he'd have cost that much. Most people at the time figured around $4m, but call it $5m give or take 1. Fast forward a whole year, with another really good season under his belt, and now with the ability to get teams bidding on him, and it was still shocking he capped out at $9m/year (easily $2m more than anyone thought anyone would offer for him). He wouldn't have been near that a year earlier. 

Agree on Bowles and his dopey comments, but in a funny way it worked to his advantage. With Fitz having well-publicized kooky demands, surely citing TB's comments in negotiations, no one serious would have faulted the Jets for balking at the $16m+ per season he was seeking, especially if they'd then traded up to #1 for a QB. The Jets had a contract out there for 3 years $24m and no one else even made him an offer. 

The emotional optimism of people on the board - those who foolishly disagreed with me lol - is irrelevant. They were wrong. They always expect last year's numbers to be the new baseline for the following year. For example, as much as people eye-rolled at the citation of dropped interception numbers, they most definitely are meaningful, especially when you're thinking of bringing back that same QB the following season. It means those are the types of throws he was making, regardless of his actual stats, and dumb luck intervened so only 15 picks were caught out of >30 passes bad enough to be interceptions. When you ignore that, then your team-building plan is essentially to double-down on the repetition of improbable luck.  The team itself was just ok, but with several players at the "they're going to hit the wall any season without notice" phases of their careers. They benefitted from those dropped picks and what at times seemed like divine intervention in our schedule. 

Does the bolded part NOT seem ironic to you?  I mean, and this is nothing personal Sperm, as you seem to know your stuff.  But it just seems that anyone that disagrees with your opinion is wrong, when you state that, after all, this is just a website, we don't run the show, and what do we know anyway?

I just think sometimes when you state stuff, it comes across as "Mac and Bowles completely suck, anyone who disagrees is completely wrong."  

Just sayin....

On 8/5/2018 at 10:03 AM, Philc1 said:

We hate Mac because he didn’t win a super bowl in his first year?  How about he hasn’t even made a playoff game yet something our last 4 regimes all did within 3 years

Just to be clear on two things:

1) Idzik left this team in a SHAMBLES.  If it were not for the absolute abysmal play of Fitzpatrick in the final game of the season, we would have made the playoffs our first year.  An absolute miracle it almost was, considering the state of the team.  That year, as many have stated, cost us a rebuild from season one, as it gave a false belief we were close. People were calling for his head after season 2.  Its an easy search for the proof.

2) This does NOT mean I am a Mac supporter, like you always like to label me.  I think the guy has done some good stuff and some really bad stuff.  He had to bring us a QB, a Pass-rusher, and an O-Line to have a chance.  He MIGHT have done 1 of 3 in 4 seasons.  Patience should be wearing thin.  He will get one more draft thanks to Darnold falling into the Jets lap.  If there is not a overhauled O-line next year and a Pass-rusher, he will MOST definitely be on a playoff clock count.  If no playoffs by next season, another GM will inherit Sam Darnold.

7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

1) Idzik left this team in a SHAMBLES.  If it were not for the absolute abysmal play of Fitzpatrick in the final game of the season, we would have made the playoffs our first year.  An absolute miracle it almost was, considering the state of the team.  That year, as many have stated, cost us a rebuild from season one, as it gave a false belief we were close. 

The team was bad when Maccagnan got here, which is bad. Then we almost made the playoffs, which is good. But the team being good cost us a rebuild, which is bad. Maccagnan had no control over any of this, btw, this is all just stuff that happened to him. Idzik Idzik Idzik Idzik

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah but he didnt make anyone cupcakes this offseason and we know that sh*t is getting real when cupcakes are part of the deal. 

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

So another mind reader.  You knew that the Jets knew.  And your crystal ball also says that he never would have signed here.  Problem with this whole fantasy situation is, like it or not, Bowles is highly thought of around the league.  

On 8/5/2018 at 11:34 AM, NYDreamer said:

You know, I'm excited about the potential future of this team and have to tip my hat to Mike Mac.   Think about it:

Potential Future Offense:

QB Darnold, LT Garcia, WR Hanson , RB Cannon, TE Herndon, FB D. Flowers

As much as I’d love to get a free left tackle, and especially would love to have him line up against the Pats twice a year, Garcia hasn’t shown a lot so far.   I’m concerned that he doesn’t make the team

9 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Are you saying the problem is Mac? 

The problem was the Jets weren't a good team yet (still not), didn't have an answer at QB yet, it's not easy to bring in FA's regardless of big money. They can still get a large amount of money with another team they feel is more established. 

I’m saying the problem needs to be identified and mitigated. I can Guess what it is but I don’t know.

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

BTW- didnt sign elsewhere for less.  He got 14 mil from the Rams, same as Jets offer. Theres no way to know but the Jets offer and then retraction of their offer to  Suh might have been due to reconsideration of how he would work with a young team

9 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Does the bolded part NOT seem ironic to you?  I mean, and this is nothing personal Sperm, as you seem to know your stuff.  But it just seems that anyone that disagrees with your opinion is wrong, when you state that, after all, this is just a website, we don't run the show, and what do we know anyway?

I just think sometimes when you state stuff, it comes across as "Mac and Bowles completely suck, anyone who disagrees is completely wrong."  

Just sayin....

No it doesn’t seem ironic. Plenty more (it wasn’t just me by a long shot) said that spring we should cut bait with Fitz after 1 season. Fitz even made it easy for him, by making ridiculous demands that even got the local media leeches behind us not caving in. Then he caved in. If the Goff/Wentz era began instead, they’d have huddled heir wagons around the new kid and written article after article with a smell ya later theme re Fitz.

I’m sure it does come across the way you say at times. I want to see the Jets win, and fan support for a loser doesn’t help the cause, lol. Part of it is how ridiculous it seems to me for someone who has no history of success in team-building, weighed against so much failure thus far, could get any fan support. But mostly I just like to argue with people. Mrs. Sperm puts me in my place all the time at home so I seek out less challenging opposition here. Debating against those who feel an incompetent can do no wrong is shooting fish in a barrel, and this helps inflate my otherwise withered ego without straining myself too hard.

19 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

All things being equal most would prefer to play with a chance to win a super bowl.  Thats why so many sign with the Pats for cheap.  Who can blame them, its certainly what I would do. Also NY/NJ has higher taxes than most of the country so that doesnt help either.  Once we are solid and winning we will get our share of FA and then some.

Cousins turning down another $30 million guaranteed to play in arctic Minnesota instead of here says a lot.  We have to pray that Darnold is a future top 5 qb otherwise we are stuck with a really bad regime that our complacent ownership has given jobs for life

18 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Just to be clear on two things:

1) Idzik left this team in a SHAMBLES.  If it were not for the absolute abysmal play of Fitzpatrick in the final game of the season, we would have made the playoffs our first year.  An absolute miracle it almost was, considering the state of the team.  That year, as many have stated, cost us a rebuild from season one, as it gave a false belief we were close. People were calling for his head after season 2.  Its an easy search for the proof.

2) This does NOT mean I am a Mac supporter, like you always like to label me.  I think the guy has done some good stuff and some really bad stuff.  He had to bring us a QB, a Pass-rusher, and an O-Line to have a chance.  He MIGHT have done 1 of 3 in 4 seasons.  Patience should be wearing thin.  He will get one more draft thanks to Darnold falling into the Jets lap.  If there is not a overhauled O-line next year and a Pass-rusher, he will MOST definitely be on a playoff clock count.  If no playoffs by next season, another GM will inherit Sam Darnold.

I have never seen someone defend a lousy GM as passionately as you even when TomShane defends Idzik you can tell he’s half joking or just bashing Rex

9 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

BTW- didnt sign elsewhere for less.  He got 14 mil from the Rams, same as Jets offer. Theres no way to know but the Jets offer and then retraction of their offer to  Suh might have been due to reconsideration of how he would work with a young team

I never said Suh took less money from the Rams but Cousins took a lot less money from the Vikings and that’s just a fact

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I have never seen someone defend a lousy GM as passionately as you even when TomShane defends Idzik you can tell he’s half joking or just bashing Rex

Yup....and you just apparently can't see it when I state that I have issues with Mac, I just don't think he has done as poorly as you.  I REALLY don't know what else to tell you dude.

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No it doesn’t seem ironic. Plenty more (it wasn’t just me by a long shot) said that spring we should cut bait with Fitz after 1 season. Fitz even made it easy for him, by making ridiculous demands that even got the local media leeches behind us not caving in. Then he caved in. If the Goff/Wentz era began instead, they’d have huddled heir wagons around the new kid and written article after article with a smell ya later theme re Fitz.

I’m sure it does come across the way you say at times. I want to see the Jets win, and fan support for a loser doesn’t help the cause, lol. Part of it is how ridiculous it seems to me for someone who has no history of success in team-building, weighed against so much failure thus far, could get any fan support. But mostly I just like to argue with people. Mrs. Sperm puts me in my place all the time at home so I seek out less challenging opposition here. Debating against those who feel an incompetent can do no wrong is shooting fish in a barrel, and this helps inflate my otherwise withered ego without straining myself too hard.

Well that DEFINITELY clears things up :)

3 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yup....and you just apparently can't see it when I state that I have issues with Mac, I just don't think he has done as poorly as you.  I REALLY don't know what else to tell you dude.

10-22 last two seasons is horrible keep spinning tho

On 8/7/2018 at 8:02 AM, Philc1 said:

Cousins turning down another $30 million guaranteed to play in arctic Minnesota instead of here says a lot.  We have to pray that Darnold is a future top 5 qb otherwise we are stuck with a really bad regime that our complacent ownership has given jobs for life

It doesn't say much beyond the fact that Cousins made a smart business decision. He joined a playoff team over a team with the 6th worst record in the league last year. He gets $84M guaranteed over three years and, if Minnesota remains playoff viable over those three years, he'll cash in again. 

I'm optimistic that the Jets landed the better QB, and get him for $30M over four years instead of $30M/year. 

On 8/5/2018 at 10:37 PM, jgb said:

Im still waiting for the list of 4 free agents that spurned the Jets offer and took less money elsewhere   Only one Im aware of is Cousins

Archived