With Bowles In TB ...

KRL

8 hours ago, Larz said:

I've read that Williams designs the defense around his players and switches between fronts 

Whhaaaa Whhaaaa What???  Coaches are allowed to do that?

I actually like seeing Bowles play 290lbers like Richardson at LB...."guys getting paid the most are the ones that play, no matter how bad they are, that's my rule.  I can never get blamed for that."

5 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I find it practically unbelievable that Bowles and Bates and KC Rogers did stay hard to their scemes and didn’t adapt to players strengths. It’s all on Bowles and the results of his one sidedness are pretty apparent. I think our players might be a lot better than our record shows with some good coaches. Can’t wait to see the results of good coaching. 

It's not unbelievable at all, to coach to a player's strength requires intelligence and an ability to "think on your feet", the Jets rarely have coaches like that, but the Motley crew of the last 4 years was hands down the worst I've ever seen.  The next adjustment that Bowles makes that works will be his first, that's if he makes one at all. ie Single coverage on Dandre Hopkins ALL game hahaha.  That was awesome.  I couldn't believe I was watching a team with supposedly professional coaches.

I agree with you that I think even if the D was not changed the slightest scintilla it will be a night and day difference to the better from this year.  I'll probably write an open apology to Maccagnan, since the same thing is going to happen with the Offense.

7 hours ago, nycdan said:

If he would take Skrine, I'm listening.  

Fun fact though....How many PI calls did Skrine have against him last season?  

Answer: 3.  Feels like a lot more because he had two in the same game late in the season.  He had a facemask and a roughing as well but I was surprised.  Still, I don't see him working out well under Gregg Williams.

You can't hold or get PIs if the guy your covering is 3 steps ahead of you. Skrines little arms can't reach past 2 feet but he always looked like he was trying to grab some Jersey while another WR was running away from him.

11 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Tru played for and loved Williams on the Rams. Unless he's injured I expect a marked difference in Tru's play in 2019.

It seems like both Williams and Gase adapt their schemes based on their players strengths. This is much different from our past HC/DC's who stayed hard and fast to their schemes. 

Tru never got paid 17 million on the Rams.  Let's hope you are right and he is not a bum.

7 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I find it practically unbelievable that Bowles and Bates and KC Rogers did stay hard to their scemes and didn’t adapt to players strengths. It’s all on Bowles and the results of his one sidedness are pretty apparent. I think our players might be a lot better than our record shows with some good coaches. Can’t wait to see the results of good coaching. 

Teams scored with ease at the end of halves and games against us.  Yet they did not do it for the first three quarters.  It is all about defensive scheme.  If teams could score like that at the end why did they not do it all game long?  Todd Blowes.

8 hours ago, usanyj said:

Some coaches like to bring guys who know the system... looking back on the Sanchez draft trade with mangini... we gave up nothing to move up.. swapped picks, gave them abram Elam, and the great Brett Ratliff! Sometimes it happens

Don't forget the one and only Kenyon Coleman! :D 

10 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Dispite all the hate for Leo and Lee they are decent players. If you trade them for draft picks (likely second and third round picks) you will be getting guys who you hope can develop into the players Leo and Lee are. Trading our talented players is not a good way to build.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Paying decent players $14m per ain’t exactly the best way to build either... 

13 hours ago, KRL said:

I won't be shocked if you hear rumors about trading them players
who fit his 3-4 but may not fit Williams 4-3:

Leonard Williams
Mike Pennel
Jordan Jenkins

Flip them all for O talent.. I can’t wait until the offense becomes the better, and more catered to unit.. will be the first time this millennium.

14 hours ago, Larz said:

I've read that Williams designs the defense around his players and switches between fronts 

One of the guys Williams listed as an influence was Bud Carson, who was fantastic at stepping into any personnel and running the system the last guy ran, only better. 

I get the desire to trade guys like Leo and Lee, but they're really not likely to get a lot of value for them in a year where the value in the draft is the defensive front seven. Leonard Williams is scheduled to make over $14M this year, so I'd listen to offers knowing that he'll likely be good for a third round comp pick in 2021. Lee is still relatively cheap and might actually draw interest if the Jets shop him. I think in the end, though, Gregg Williams keeps these guys and builds a defense tailored to their strengths. 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

One of the guys Williams listed as an influence was Bud Carson, who was fantastic at stepping into any personnel and running the system the last guy ran, only better. 

I get the desire to trade guys like Leo and Lee, but they're really not likely to get a lot of value for them in a year where the value in the draft is the defensive front seven. Leonard Williams is scheduled to make over $14M this year, so I'd listen to offers knowing that he'll likely be good for a third round comp pick in 2021. Lee is still relatively cheap and might actually draw interest if the Jets shop him. I think in the end, though, Gregg Williams keeps these guys and builds a defense tailored to their strengths. 

Most likely not with the amount of Free Agents we will be acquiring. 

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Most likely not with the amount of Free Agents we will be acquiring. 

We're going to be big spenders this year, rendering no comp picks in 2020. In this scenario, Williams would get a free agent deal in 2020 -with the Jets not big players in FA a second year in a row- and the Jets would get a comp pick the following year, 2021. 

14 hours ago, KRL said:

I won't be shocked if you hear rumors about trading them players
who fit his 3-4 but may not fit Williams 4-3:

Leonard Williams.......................  1st rd. pick 2019
Mike Pennel.................................  4th rd. pick 2021
Jordan Jenkins............................   2nd rd. pick 2020

FIXED!!=D>

1 minute ago, slats said:

We're going to be big spenders this year, rendering no comp picks in 2020. In this scenario, Williams would get a free agent deal in 2020 -with the Jets not big players in FA a second year in a row- and the Jets would get a comp pick the following year, 2021. 

I think we will be big players BOTH 2019 and 2020 in FA with the amount of holes that we have/unsigned players, scheme change and due to the fact that not nearly as many good players hit FA anymore and we surely won’t solve all of our issues in 1 offseason. I think it’s kind of crazy to think that.

It’s not just marquee player signings, it’s net players acquired over players lost too (not including cuts or signing cut players). We will see but banking on a comp pick seems very sketchy and unrealistic. 

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

I think we will be big players BOTH 2019 and 2020 in FA with the amount of holes that we have/unsigned players, scheme change and due to the fact that not nearly as many good players hit FA anymore and we surely won’t solve all of our issues in 1 offseason. I think it’s kind of crazy to think that.

It’s not just marquee player signings, it’s net players acquired over players lost too (not including cuts or signing cut players). We will see but banking on a comp pick seems very sketchy and unrealistic. 

They won't have nearly as much money next year. This is The Big Year in free agency for this team. The hope surrounding Darnold, a new head coach, new uniforms, they're going to spend to the gills to put the absolute best product on the field that they can this year. It would be devastating for them if their new coach and uniforms open a new era with another bad season. 

Jets have only 30 players under contract for 2019 and only 19 in 2020. Even if they're semi-active in free agency, they'll still more likely lose more than they sign. And if one of the guys they lose is getting $15M/year from someone, they'll make sure they get at least that one comp pick. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

They won't have nearly as much money next year. This is The Big Year in free agency for this team. The hope surrounding Darnold, a new head coach, new uniforms, they're going to spend to the gills to put the absolute best product on the field that they can this year. It would be devastating for them if their new coach and uniforms open a new era with another bad season. 

Jets have only 30 players under contract for 2019 and only 19 in 2020. Even if they're semi-active in free agency, they'll still more likely lose more than they sign. And if one of the guys they lose is getting $15M/year from someone, they'll make sure they get at least that one comp pick. 

That's for sure but with a young/cheap team to build around we could front load some deals so that we could still  have plenty of cap room next year and the year after. 

Even if we bring in Brown or Bell and a couple of FA linemen, we should still have money to play with this year. That money can go to the FAs so that their  future cap hits are relatively small. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's for sure but with a young/cheap team to build around we could front load some deals so that we could still  have plenty of cap room next year and the year after. 

Even if we bring in Brown or Bell and a couple of FA linemen, we should still have money to play with this year. That money can go to the FAs so that their  future cap hits are relatively small. 

I'm not saying the Jets will be out of the market next year. I'm saying they won't have near the $100M+ in cap room they have this year, though. They'll be among the biggest players in FA this year. If they're among the biggest players in FA again in 2020, that'll mean that a whole lot went wrong in 2019. 

32 minutes ago, slats said:

Well I would hope that’s the case but disagree that that will happen. We will see. We are not a good “comp pick” team since we constantly build through free agency and draft poorly.

Compound that with out short term contracts and we usually miss out on comp picks. Missing out on getting any value for Williams given this very probable scenario is not smart. 

Archived