Le'veon Bell

Brady Averch

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

14 mil a year to an RB might not have been enough but I wouldn’t call it a “low ball” offer.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It wasn’t a true $14 mil/year contract. Only the first year $14mil was guaranteed which was less than the franchise tag. He just wanted longer term security and respectible guaranteed money. I still think he is a bit of a diva but I can’t fault him here and the lockeroom turning on him was low on their part. He was getting treated like sh*t from the Steelers. 

Normally I get frustrated with greedy players but the Steelers handled the whole situation very poorly and did not have his best interests in mind at all. They were running him into the ground like no other running back in history. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

My reservations about Bell go deeper than just the holdout.  If he had just refused to report and sat out the season, that was his right, and would  have been fine.  It was the public warfare, the I'm going to report, not report, "I'll report by this date", stringing along the process, bashing the organization:   The general way he handled himself. That was not fair to his teammates who have families too and relied on his word.  There's the other issues too, the pot suspension, etc.  He's just not my kind of player.  I just get a bad "vibe"  about his character that makes me wary of signing him.

I can understand having reservations over that. He did handle it rather unprofessional. I wouldn’t call it a red flag necessarily, but it is a turn off for some. I don’t think every player on a team has to be a class act for it to all work out. I’d like it if they were but it’s just the nature of the business. The truth of the matter is a lot of jerks are great players. As long as he doesn’t hurt anyone or fail any drug tests, I think he’ll be just fine.

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Why would you want the Jets to overpay for any player? Since when is overpaying a good way to build a team? 

If the Raiders are willing to give Bell 3/45, why should the Jets pay 4/70? Manish didn't say the Jets wouldn't spend a ton of money or that they won't go after Bell, just that they aren't going to overpay for a RB, the one position proven to be NOT worth overpaying for. 

You know why the Steelers didn't overpay for Bell? Because they are smart enough to know the value of a 27/28/29/30 year old RB. 

Would the Pats overpay for a RB? 

We have Darnold. We have some good young pieces and cap space. The last thing you want to do is turn into Mike Tannenbaum and wreck the future of this franchise to appease impatient Jets fans.  

Steelers didn't overpay for Bell because they had a rookie (Connor) who could do 75-80% of what Bell can do at a fraction of Bell's price. We've got Mr Arse Wipe, Elijah McGuire and Trenton Cannon on our roster none of whom can hold a candle to Connor.

Pats wouldn't overpay for Bell because they drafted Sony Michel in the first round last year and have James White and Rex Burkhead on the roster.

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

We are in a very different situation cap wise, we actually don’t owe single player money next year (Aside from Trumaine Johnson) that isn’t being paid on the rookie scale. The future years cap space ceiling, coupled with the salary cap annual rise, you are looking at a lot more money than the 108 million we have this year. It makes no sense to restrict yourself of a spending limit on one of the best RB’s in the league, who just so happens to do two things at a high level that Darnold needs. Pass blocking and receiving. 

This team is so talent deprived and you actually expect fans to be okay with relaxing and being happy Mike Maccagnan has decided he is going draft his way out of this mess and create a talented Jets team that way? Absolutely not. 

You damn sure get Le’Veon Bell and knock a position off your long list of roster holes. No matter what it takes.

To this I would add now is the time to add veteran players to help Darnold, because you have Darnold under cost control for five years. If Darnold turns out to be the QB we've been looking and praying for, when he hits that fourth year and starts talking to the Jets about a contract extension, we'll probably be paying him $20 million a year to stick around.

With a young and very good QB on the roster for cheap, now's the time to add the pieces to make a run at a Super Bowl. The Seahawks won a Super Bowl and lost a Super Bowl they should have won with a cheap Russell Wilson because they could afford to pay other players a lot of money to fill gaps on the roster. Now that Wilson is into his second contract, the Seahawks don't have that flexibility and they fall into the playoffs as a wild card.

Bell is the best shot the Jets have at getting a player that will cause defensive coordinators and head coaches to have sleepless nights. If he goes to Indianapolis I'll be most disappointed.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

offensive playmakers are very valuable in todays nfl and we are lacking them. Bell isn't just a RB, he's a playmaker who can put pressure on defenses in multiple ways. 

Wow I didn’t know Bell played other positions.  Hey how did Bell’s replacement do?

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He played good then the last 5-6 week he fell off a cliff. 

SOB made me have to take him out of my fantasy starting line up.

Fell off a cliff because he got injured.  

I’m not saying Bell isn’t a good player he is but he also had Ben and AB spreading out the field for him those years plus we have way bigger needs than running back

11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Fell off a cliff because he got injured.  

I’m not saying Bell isn’t a good player he is but he also had Ben and AB spreading out the field for him those years plus we have way bigger needs than running back

the thought of another year of Crowell/McGuire is utterly putrid.  

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Bell would be the best receiving RB we've had since LT. Fair argument about his replacement but I don't think you can deny Bell's talent.

Not denying Bell’s talent I just don’t think he’s worth $17 mil per year when we have holes galore on the roster

The real question is if Bell has the motivation to play as hard as he did before sitting out as long as he did or if he is going to just get the pay day.  

I'm sure his body feels better after not getting hit, the pounding on his legs/knees from hard running.  The moment our new/young offensive line that Im expecting if you sign Bell (Because you no longer have the money to sign Paradis), does Bell sit out because of hamstring or anke (Its the risk you take)

I understand the most successful backs the Jets have had were all veterans (Curtis Martin, Thomas Jones, and Ladanian Tomlinson) so history has shown success, it depends if Bell is wired the same as those guys.

It's fair to talk about how James Connor did not skip a beat taking over the lead back role with Bell gone.  It shows the hunger from the younger player who has something to prove.  He is also a bigger back who is elusive and can take a hit.  This is why I also look at the draft and say I would be excited if we drafted a guy like Snell Jr. out of Kentucky to be our running back.

4 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

The real question is if Bell has the motivation to play as hard as he did before sitting out as long as he did or if he is going to just get the pay day.  

I'm sure his body feels better after not getting hit, the pounding on his legs/knees from hard running.  The moment our new/young offensive line that Im expecting if you sign Bell (Because you no longer have the money to sign Paradis), does Bell sit out because of hamstring or anke (Its the risk you take)

I understand the most successful backs the Jets have had were all veterans (Curtis Martin, Thomas Jones, and Ladanian Tomlinson) so history has shown success, it depends if Bell is wired the same as those guys.

It's fair to talk about how James Connor did not skip a beat taking over the lead back role with Bell gone.  It shows the hunger from the younger player who has something to prove.  He is also a bigger back who is elusive and can take a hit.  This is why I also look at the draft and say I would be excited if we drafted a guy like Snell Jr. out of Kentucky to be our running back.

If you don't count Matt Snell,Boozer,John Riggens, Freeman and Hector..

jets have money they better spend it wisely

it is a no brainer jets have to get either hunt or bell-yes neither are model citizens but we are forming a football team not a church group

I would sign one of them and get the best possible wr available  in FA-sam needs weapons around him-if you pair a great rb with a very good to great wr to go along with anderson and herndon we have a decent offense

I would use the draft to focus on the offensive line -rebuild the line to protect sam

the entire jets future is based on sam so he needs to be protected and given the tools to suceed.

We have drafted D early and often and it never works out for us. Try to find D hidden gems in the later rounds.

On 2/1/2019 at 5:07 AM, NYDreamer said:

Please stop with the "if we sign Bell we can't sign anyone else of stature point of view." Yes, we can. And not just one top level guy, we can sign several. Why is everyone so concerned about adding top level talent. It's as if it's your own money. We just might be really good if we sign a great O-lineman, a great back, and a great pass rusher, all in free agency. And then we can add more offense in the draft. 

15 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Please stop with the "if we sign Bell we can't sign anyone else of stature point of view." Yes, we can. And not just one top level guy, we can sign several. Why is everyone so concerned about adding top level talent. It's as if it's your own money. We just might be really good if we sign a great O-lineman, a great back, and a great pass rusher, all in free agency. And then we can add more offense in the draft. 

Fans refuse to learn how the cap works so they act like it's their own wallet.  We need to have an

off-season like CHI did last year

8 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Apparently I was not clear communicator in my post, my bad.  I would prefer Offensive line addition/talent first such as Paradis in free agency and get a younger back such as Snell from Kentucky in the draft.  With a solid O Line, that will improve the offensive playmakers.

Archived