Le'veon Bell

Brady Averch

Just now, shuler82 said:

In theory a lot of what you say makes sense.  Except the impatient Jets fan remark. I think 50 years is beyond patient. 

The amount of years we have failed does not change the value of players. Bell's value is the same whether we won a SB 3 years ago or 50 years ago. 

I am all for getting Bell or Brown, but I don't want them at any cost. I don't want them if they will prevent us from properly building an Oline or getting an edge rusher etc... 

BOTH Bell and Brown have played with a great franchise and a great QB for their entire careers and have zero SB wins. I am obviously not blaming them, just saying that one or the other, or even both, at inflated cap hits have serious draw backs. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mac has been building through the draft for 4 years. In 4 years he's landed Darnold, Anderson & Herndon. The rest of the offense is a steaming pile of trash. We need to add play makers and protection for Darnold and we are required to spend cap money by rule.

The don't spend money on free agency crowd is completely ridiculous IMO.

He hasnt even attempted to draft w/ premium picks on the offensive side of the ball.  

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

Well we know from last year that breaking the bank sometimes doesn't get us what we want.  Glad we didn't get Cousins.  Bell, I would like.

Citing concerns about his motivation once he gets paid as an issue. I cosign on that concern. 

Report: Jets won’t “break the bank” for Le’Veon Bell

Posted by Josh Alper on January 31, 2019, 10:52 AM EST
gettyimages-894476036-e1538447408687.jpg
Getty Images

The Jets have a lot of cap space at their disposal this offense and a need to improve their offense, which is a combination that makes it easy to link them to a possible pursuit of running back Le'Veon Bell in free agency.

Safety Jamal Adams‘ lunch with Bell’s agent this week added some fuel to that idea. According to a report from Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, however, there will be a limit to how far they’re going to go in order to bring him to the team.

Mehta reports that the Jets will not “break the bank” for Bell this offseason. A “level of concern” about Bell’s motivation after signing a contract is cited as the reason for the team’s view.

Breaking the bank can be defined differently by everyone and it’s unclear what that would mean in terms of Bell at this point in the calendar. The fact that the Jets have been open about their plans to make the most of their cap space and Bell’s place at the top of the list of free agents means there’s likely to be more developments to come on this front.

26 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He hasnt even attempted to draft w/ premium picks on the offensive side of the ball.  

OK - we have one premium draft pick this year and a bunch of garbage on offense. That premium draft pick could very easily go to the defensive side of the ball again BTW. We need to spend money on free agents man.

42 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

OK - we have one premium draft pick this year and a bunch of garbage on offense. That premium draft pick could very easily go to the defensive side of the ball again BTW. We need to spend money on free agents man.

The jets are not staying at 3.  Someone will trade up w them to get a qb.  We will have a 1st a second and 2 high 3rd round picks.  Thats 4 good draft picks we can spend to add to this offense.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Why would you want the Jets to overpay for any player? Since when is overpaying a good way to build a team? 

If the Raiders are willing to give Bell 3/45, why should the Jets pay 4/70? Manish didn't say the Jets wouldn't spend a ton of money or that they won't go after Bell, just that they aren't going to overpay for a RB, the one position proven to be NOT worth overpaying for. 

You know why the Steelers didn't overpay for Bell? Because they are smart enough to know the value of a 27/28/29/30 year old RB. 

Would the Pats overpay for a RB? 

We have Darnold. We have some good young pieces and cap space. The last thing you want to do is turn into Mike Tannenbaum and wreck the future of this franchise to appease impatient Jets fans.  

Generally agree with this sentiment. I would like to sign Bell in FA and I am willing to make him the highest paid RB in the league. What I would want back is a contract that allows the jets to move on with little to no impact after year 3 and the ability to move on after year 2 without wrecking us. Im willing to guarantee the most amount of money to a RB ever and pay him as a top player in the league year 1 and maybe year 2. 

With all that said, he is not worth QB money or pass rusher money. There has to be a limit in any negotiation where your willing to walk away. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Citing concerns about his motivation once he gets paid as an issue. I cosign on that concern. 

Report: Jets won’t “break the bank” for Le’Veon Bell

Posted by Josh Alper on January 31, 2019, 10:52 AM EST
gettyimages-894476036-e1538447408687.jpg
Getty Images

The Jets have a lot of cap space at their disposal this offense and a need to improve their offense, which is a combination that makes it easy to link them to a possible pursuit of running back Le'Veon Bell in free agency.

Safety Jamal Adams‘ lunch with Bell’s agent this week added some fuel to that idea. According to a report from Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, however, there will be a limit to how far they’re going to go in order to bring him to the team.

Mehta reports that the Jets will not “break the bank” for Bell this offseason. A “level of concern” about Bell’s motivation after signing a contract is cited as the reason for the team’s view.

Breaking the bank can be defined differently by everyone and it’s unclear what that would mean in terms of Bell at this point in the calendar. The fact that the Jets have been open about their plans to make the most of their cap space and Bell’s place at the top of the list of free agents means there’s likely to be more developments to come on this front.

Meh, I think you can apply that concern to literally every player.

I mean, who foresaw Wilkerson turning into a fat lazy bitch when we signed him to an extension? There was nothing in regards to his past history to suggest that would be the case.

If we don’t land Bell, then unless we unearth some gem in the mid/late rounds at WR or RB, then we’re essentially going to be surrounding Darnold with the same supporting cast as last season.

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The jets are not staying at 3.  Someone will trade up w them to get a qb.  We will have a 1st a second and 2 high 3rd round picks.  Thats 4 good draft picks we can spend to add to this offense.

I think it's great that you're Nostradamus. Could you give me the powerball numbers?

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Of course Maccagnan won’t spend on Bell.   He hasn’t paid a RB more than $5 million per year and hasn’t used a draft pick higher than the 6th round to draft one.   He clearly doesn’t put any significant value on the position.  

Since Mac doesn't value the OL, I can see why he wouldn't value the RB. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mac is doing the right thing here.  Be patient and build through the draft.  No high priced free agents.

The NY Jets have drafted so poorly over the years they need to buy some talent otherwise the little talent they have on this team accomplishes nothing. 

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Why would you want the Jets to overpay for any player? Since when is overpaying a good way to build a team? 

If the Raiders are willing to give Bell 3/45, why should the Jets pay 4/70? Manish didn't say the Jets wouldn't spend a ton of money or that they won't go after Bell, just that they aren't going to overpay for a RB, the one position proven to be NOT worth overpaying for. 

You know why the Steelers didn't overpay for Bell? Because they are smart enough to know the value of a 27/28/29/30 year old RB. 

Would the Pats overpay for a RB? 

We have Darnold. We have some good young pieces and cap space. The last thing you want to do is turn into Mike Tannenbaum and wreck the future of this franchise to appease impatient Jets fans.  

So the car needs new tires.  You have plenty of money, and go shopping for some.  You see a pair of beautiful tires and rims, you know the really shiny ones with the "spinners".  You can only afford two of them, because they are so much money.  You buy them anyway.  The other two tires go flat and you can go nowhere.  That's the rationale here.  Amazing, don't you think?

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Meh, I think you can apply that concern to literally every player.

I mean, who foresaw Wilkerson turning into a fat lazy bitch when we signed him to an extension? There was nothing in regards to his past history to suggest that would be the case.

If we don’t land Bell, then unless we unearth some gem in the mid/late rounds at WR or RB, then we’re essentially going to be surrounding Darnold with the same supporting cast as last season.

Wilkerson, I'm sure, is example #1 why they're hesitant to spend big money on Bell. Bell just passed on $14M to protect his body so he could enter free agency this year and really get paid. This is a guy who quite clearly puts his income above his love of the game or competitive spirit. They have a very good reason to be wary, IMHO. And let's not forget that he's one bong hit away from another year off. 

And there are options in free agency outside of Bell to improve Sam's weapons. There are starting caliber WRs, TEs, and RBs out there, as well as free agent OL who would help improve the offense, too. They don't need to put all their eggs in this basket. 

When you add players via free agency you over pay. That's the nature of the beast. This years over paid contracts will look like a bargain next year.

You have to use a combination of draft and free agency to build teams in 2019. People act like you can't build a successful team with free agents. BULL! The Eagles won the damn superbowl last year after adding a bunch of big FA's.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

We are in zero position to be content or satisfied with what we have. Over pay. 

Ask the Knicks how that strategy has worked for them so far?  I know you're passionate, and frustrated, but we need to play this the right way.  Can't afford to go backwards now. Time to be smart, for a change.  We apparently have the most important piece.  This is going to be a two year process.  Relax and enjoy the ride.  Hopefully.

15 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Ask the Knicks how that strategy has worked for them so far?  I know you're passionate, and frustrated, but we need to play this the right way.  Can't afford to go backwards now. Time to be smart, for a change.  We apparently have the most important piece.  This is going to be a two year process.  Relax and enjoy the ride.  Hopefully.

We are in a very different situation cap wise, we actually don’t owe single player money next year (Aside from Trumaine Johnson) that isn’t being paid on the rookie scale. The future years cap space ceiling, coupled with the salary cap annual rise, you are looking at a lot more money than the 108 million we have this year. It makes no sense to restrict yourself of a spending limit on one of the best RB’s in the league, who just so happens to do two things at a high level that Darnold needs. Pass blocking and receiving. 

This team is so talent deprived and you actually expect fans to be okay with relaxing and being happy Mike Maccagnan has decided he is going draft his way out of this mess and create a talented Jets team that way? Absolutely not. 

You damn sure get Le’Veon Bell and knock a position off your long list of roster holes. No matter what it takes.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We are in a very different situation cap wise, we actually don’t owe single player money next year (Aside from Trumaine Johnson) that isn’t being paid on the rookie scale. The future years cap space ceiling, coupled with the salary cap annual rise, you are looking at a lot more money than the 108 million we have this year. It makes no sense to restrict yourself of a spending limit on one of the best RB’s in the league, who just so happens to do two things at a high level that Darnold needs. Pass blocking and receiving. 

This team is so talent deprived and you actually expect fans to be okay with relaxing and being happy Mike Maccagnan has decided he is going draft his way out of this mess and create a talented Jets team that way? Absolutely not. 

You damn sure get Le’Veon Bell and knock a position off your long list of roster holes. No matter what it takes.

I think the key is to find players that can play decently for more than 2 years and lock them up, at least have the option, like what the Jets have with Winters and Long.  

The Jets need to add at least 20 players to the roster, and they are only drafting 7 now.  

Of those 20 players, at least 5 should be starters.  

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We are in a very different situation cap wise, we actually don’t owe single player money next year (Aside from Trumaine Johnson) that isn’t being paid on the rookie scale. The future years cap space ceiling, coupled with the salary cap annual rise, you are looking at a lot more money than the 108 million we have this year. It makes no sense to restrict yourself of a spending limit on one of the best RB’s in the league, who just so happens to do two things that Darnold needs at a high level. Pass blocking and receiving. 

This team is so talent deprived and you actually expect fans to be okay with relaxing and being happy Mike Maccagnan has decided he is going draft his way out of this mess and create to a talented Jets team that way? Absolutely not. 

I get it.  It's not what LeVeon Bell is what worries me.  The skill set is absolutely exactly what Sam and the Jets need.   If that were the case I'd be all in.  It's who LeVeon Bell is that worries me. ALOT.  You do a lot of great work researching the draft, the players, their backgrounds, strengths and weaknesses.  I respect your opinion and knowledge tremendously.  Somehow I don't feel that you take the same approach in respect to Bell. Using your own standards should give you reservations about this player that I don't see in your position.

56 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Dont be surprised if Bell doesnt get a big deal this offseason. The owners may want to make an example out of him.

I'm not even sure it's that, although that may be a factor. I think teams generally don't want to invest a ton in a 27 year old RB who has already proven that he'll bail on the team if he doesn't get what he wants.

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

This is frustrating. We have 100 million in cap space. There are no good FA Wr's. We're apparently not going after bell or hunt. So what the hell is Maccagnans plan here? 

Im so mad....

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

The NY Jets have drafted so poorly over the years they need to buy some talent otherwise the little talent they have on this team accomplishes nothing. 

Doesnt mean hes who we should sign, that we should sign someone we don't think is worth his asking price.

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I get it.  It's not what LeVeon Bell is what worries me.  The skill set is absolutely exactly what Sam and the Jets need.   If that were the case I'd be all in.  It's who LeVeon Bell is that worries me. ALOT.  You do a lot of great work researching the draft, the players, their backgrounds, strengths and weaknesses.  I respect your opinion and knowledge tremendously.  Somehow I don't feel that you take the same approach in respect to Bell. Using your own standards should give you reservations about this player that I don't see in your position.

I think Bell deserves to get paid just as much as any other top player at his position. He made a business decision after the Steelers low balled him on a contract offer. They fully intended on running him into the ground in 2018 then letting him walk with the extra mileage as well as the risk of injury. Earl Thomas was due for a big pay day(and his last) that the Seahawks didn’t want to give him he played for them anyway and broke his leg...now he’s not getting as much money as he was going to get before the injury. It was a business move that benefits him from a team that doesn’t want anything to do with him going forward. Say what you will about Connor, Bell deserves his money either way.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think Bell deserves to get paid just as much as any other top player at his position. He made a business decision after the Steelers low balled him on a contract offer. They fully intended on running him into the ground in 2018 then letting him walk with the extra mileage as well as the risk of injury. Earl Thomas was due for a big pay day(and his last) that the Seahawks didn’t want to give him he played for them anyway and broke his leg...now he’s not getting as much money as he was going to get before the injury. It was a business move that benefits him from a team that doesn’t want anything to do with him going forward. Say what you will about Connor, Bell deserves his money either way.

My reservations about Bell go deeper than just the holdout.  If he had just refused to report and sat out the season, that was his right, and would  have been fine.  It was the public warfare, the I'm going to report, not report, "I'll report by this date", stringing along the process, bashing the organization:   The general way he handled himself. That was not fair to his teammates who have families too and relied on his word.  There's the other issues too, the pot suspension, etc.  He's just not my kind of player.  I just get a bad "vibe"  about his character that makes me wary of signing him.

14 mil a year to an RB might not have been enough but I wouldn’t call it a “low ball” offer.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Of course Maccagnan won’t spend on Bell.   He hasn’t paid a RB more than $5 million per year and hasn’t used a draft pick higher than the 6th round to draft one.   He clearly doesn’t put any significant value on the position.  

Maybe that’s because RB isn’t a high value position in today’s nfl

Archived