Jump to content
Kleckineau

In a Jetsy move NYJ hire Joe Vitt

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, JiF said:

This is literally the most toxic coaching staff situation in the entire NFL.  Oh man, this is going to work out so well...

I really kind of can't stand Gase and Williams.  Obviously I'll root for them and all but I've never liked a Jet HC and DC less.  Obviously we've had worse coaches but I can't think of any less likable than these 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets create SOJFs.  SOJFs don't create the Jets.

Well said.  I think there are people who actually believe that the opposite is the case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Alternate take: this is every bit the dumpster fire it appears to be and the Jets are stupid.

This has the potential to rival the old Bronx Zoo days with the Yankees. Gase wasn't my first choice, and he scared the s**t out of me at his PC. I came around though when he started doing other interviews the next few days. I loved the idea of Williams as a DHC, but things are getting weird here.

The Williams Jr and Vitt hirings reek of nepotism and I can see the two opposing "families" butting heads quickly. The OC hire was a dud, no matter how much we hear about Gase running the offense. Belichek always has a competent DC even though we know he's doing the game plan. I have no confidence in Loggins to assert himself as anything but a yes man to the HC.

Boom or bust are the words that come to mind looking at this. Add our GM into the mix, and how much faith can you realistically have that this ends well? Jeez, the more I've thought about this the last month, the more concerned I'm getting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe Vitt did nothing wrong.  It was Williams initial testimony that alleged that Vitt refused to end the "Bounty" program.  He was simply refuting what Williams had to say.  What was he supposed to do.  Both men were trying to mitigate the damage and minimize the long term effect "Bountygate" would have on their careers.  The NFL had the "goods" on all involved, and the fact that the testimony of two guilty participants  was in conflict, should come as a surprise to no one.  It is quite possible that both men harbor no ill feelings towards one another, and understand that each, "did what he had to do".  This should be viewed as the addition of yet another experienced capable addition to the coaching staff, and nothing more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I did double check this, as my memory was a little foggy about it, but the truth is Williams was definitely the bigger scumbag among the two in this situation.  Their battle started with Williams claiming he wanted to stop the bounties, but that Vitt supposedly overruled him and insisted that they keep doing it, which sounds rather questionable considering every piece of evidence, including with his prior teams, points to Williams.  It was in response to that when Vitt denied his involvement and pointed the finger back at Williams.  Given that Williams had the longer suspension and was sent packing by NO, while Vitt was made the interim HC, it would seem at least the NFL and Saints agreed with him on that one.

The only point being, Vitt was the hire that came later and if he's gotten past it all, that's hopefully a good sign.  None of this is to say I particularly like the ridiculousness this kind of crap even coming up at all, but you know... it's still the friggin' Jets.

Some one who actually checked this out.  Thank You.  What a concept, although obviously not as much "fun" as sniping, "bitching and moaning" and the ever popular "conspiracy theories".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Joe Vitt did nothing wrong.  It was Williams initial testimony that alleged that Vitt refused to end the "Bounty" program.  He was simply refuting what Williams had to say.  What was he supposed to do.  Both men were trying to mitigate the damage and minimize the long term effect "Bountygate" would have on their careers.  The NFL had the "goods" on all involved, and the fact that the testimony of two guilty participants  was in conflict, should come as a surprise to no one.  It is quite possible that both men harbor no ill feelings towards one another, and understand that each, "did what he had to do".  This should be viewed as the addition of yet another experienced capable addition to the coaching staff, and nothing more.

The Bountygate thing doesn't bother me much at all. What really does concern me though is the hiring of both Williams Jr. and Vitt. It makes it look like Gase wants "eyes" in the room by hiring his father in law. Then the Williams Jr hiring looks like dad needs an ally in the room he knows he can trust. Its not hard to imagine a split developing very quickly within the CS with Vitt and the other Gase guys aligning against the Williams guys.

Add the seemingly stronger group of players and coaches on defense, to the less talented Gase led offense, and this can get volatile quickly. I could be way off base here, and this could work out great, but I think we're going to need a lot of A type guys to check their egos at the door for that to happen. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

The Bountygate thing doesn't bother me much at all. What really does concern me though is the hiring of both Williams Jr. and Vitt. It makes it look like Gase wants "eyes" in the room by hiring his father in law. Then the Williams Jr hiring looks like dad needs an ally in the room he knows he can trust. Its not hard to imagine a split developing very quickly within the CS with Vitt and the other Gase guys aligning against the Williams guys.

Add the seemingly stronger group of players and coaches on defense, to the less talented Gase led offense, and this can get volatile quickly. I could be way off base here, and this could work out great, but I think we're going to need a lot of A type guys to check their egos at the door for that to happen. 

The problem here is everyone commenting on what this "looks like".  What it is.  Adam Gase father in law, Joe Vitt was on his staff in Miami, is a 30 year NFL veteran and is someone who Gase is obviously comfortable with and trusts.  Greg Williams son Blake, was on his staff in Cleveland, has worked with his father for 10+ years, called the defense for his father last year in Cleveland, and is someone who Williams is obviously comfortable with and trusts.  Why can't it be as pure and simple as that?  That's what I think it is.  Don't be concerned.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The problem here is everyone commenting on what this "looks like".  What it is.  Adam Gase father in law, Joe Vitt was on his staff in Miami, is a 30 year NFL veteran and is someone who Gase is obviously comfortable with and trusts.  Greg Williams son Blake, was on his staff in Cleveland, has worked with his father for 10+ years, called the defense for his father last year in Cleveland, and is someone who Williams is obviously comfortable with and trusts.  Why can't it be as pure and simple as that?  That's what I think it is.  Don't be concerned.

You make a very good point. Sometimes the correct answer is the obvious answer. But this is February, we're bored, and are over thinking things perhaps. :rolleyes: So I'll say you're most likely correct, but I do think there is a huge boom or bust factor with this CS.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam Gase rolls his eyes on the sideline..... 

Tabloid beat writers..... 

"JETS COACHES  BACK STABBING REACHING EPIC PROPORTIONS" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JiF said:

Maybe the mistake on the sidelines was orchestrated to take the attention away from the mistake on the field.

Mistakes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When this thing blows up - and it will - they’ll be a lot of people saying we should have seen this coming.

Team finally lands a legitimate QB and goes with a highly volatile, unpredictable coaching staff.

This was the time to bring in a consistent, safe coaching staff to ensure we bring Darnold along.

Instead we went with a dysfunctional group that is sure to implode.

Yes. Very Jetsy.



Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

When this thing blows up - and it will - they’ll be a lot of people saying we should have seen this coming.

Team finally lands a legitimate QB and goes with a highly volatile, unpredictable coaching staff.

This was the time to bring in a consistent, safe coaching staff to ensure we bring Darnold along.

Instead we went with a dysfunctional group that is sure to implode.

Yes. Very Jetsy.



Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

Very Jetsy fan post. Woe is me. Stop reading the idiot NY media.

  • Like 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Vitt is Gase's father in law.

 

20 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

The same Joe Vitt that pointed the finger at Gregg Williams in New Orleans.  Oh so Jetsy.  ☺

 

good-greif.gif.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The problem here is everyone commenting on what this "looks like".  What it is.  Adam Gase father in law, Joe Vitt was on his staff in Miami, is a 30 year NFL veteran and is someone who Gase is obviously comfortable with and trusts.  Greg Williams son Blake, was on his staff in Cleveland, has worked with his father for 10+ years, called the defense for his father last year in Cleveland, and is someone who Williams is obviously comfortable with and trusts.  Why can't it be as pure and simple as that?  That's what I think it is.  Don't be concerned.

 

Sorry, I simply can’t agree.

 

Good organizations have foresight.

 

Gase should not have pushed back on William’s son. Williams should have been expected to bring in his son and that shouldn’t have come as a surprise. It did. And that’s the problem.

 

With Williams being hired as the HC - hiring Vitt should have been taken off the table.

You have to understand that.

If you like Williams that’s something that comes with his hire. If you love Vitt then Williams shouldn’t have been hired.

 

These are very basic questions any competent management team - in any industry- would ask themselves.

 

What really bothers me isn’t so much the coaching staff as assembled - but the level of incompetence this organization continues to show. I see no reason to think they can turn this team around.

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

24:25:31

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

 

Sorry, I simply can’t agree.

 

Good organizations have foresight.

 

Gase should not have pushed back on William’s son. Williams should have been expected to bring in his son and that shouldn’t have come as a surprise. It did. And that’s the problem.

 

With Williams being hired as the HC - hiring Vitt should have been taken off the table.

You have to understand that.

If you like Williams that’s something that comes with his hire. If you love Vitt then Williams shouldn’t have been hired.

 

These are very basic questions any competent management team - in any industry- would ask themselves.

 

What really bothers me isn’t so much the coaching staff as assembled - but the level of incompetence this organization continues to show. I see no reason to think they can turn this team around.

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

24:25:31

 

Thanks for your analysis.

I realize this probably wont morph into a  Gilbride /Ryan moment but it has that potential and may be cause for turmoil among the CS if the season starts poorly.

Maybe Vitt being Gase's FIL was the reason Williams took so long to commit to the job after being named the guy the Jets wanted.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

 


Sorry, I simply can’t agree.

Good organizations have foresight.

Gase should not have pushed back on William’s son. He should be able to bring in his son, but that shouldn’t have come as a surprise. It did. And that’s the problem.

With William’s being hired as the HC - hiring Vitt should have been taken off the table.
You have to understand that.
If you like William’s that’s something that comes with his hire. If you love Vitt then William’s shouldn’t be hired.

These are very basic questions any competent management team - in any industry- would ask themselves.

What really bothers me isn’t so much the coaching staff as assembled - but the level of incompetence this organization continue to show. I see no reason to think they can turn this team around.



Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

 

We are all reacting and formulating opinions based on "reports" posted by Media, who's very lifeblood is provided by their ability to prompt provocative discussion and reaction with their writings.  Have any of the principals involved here come forward to publicly declare that this in fighting and discord exists? No.  Much ado about nothing.  The media cooked up these "scenarios" with a purpose in mind, and got their desired result.  Bully for them. So we disagree, probably won't be the last time.😁   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

We are all reacting and formulating opinions based on "reports" posted by Media, who's very lifeblood is provided by their ability to prompt provocative discussion and reaction with their writings.  Have any of the principals involved here come forward to publicly declare that this in fighting and discord exists? No.  Much ado about nothing.  The media cooked up these "scenarios" with a purpose in mind, and got their desired result.  Bully for them. So we disagree, probably won't be the last time.😁   

I never defend the media. For the most part they stink and are almost always biased, inaccurate and agenda driven. However in this case it deserved to be reported. These 2 havent worked together since bounty gate, one had flipped on the other and they are now on the same staff. Its worthy of discussion and it does have disaster potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I never defend the media. For the most part they stink and are almost always biased, inaccurate and agenda driven. However in this case it deserved to be reported. These 2 havent worked together since bounty gate, one had flipped on the other and they are now on the same staff. Its worthy of discussion and it does have disaster potential.

I have no problem with discussion or even a little bit of conjecture.  My problem lies with "reports" and "sources" that never are cited and never have a name or quote associated with them.  They use these tricks to add credence to their  "claims" which can be, and often are outright lies.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Vitt is an excellent coach.  It a great hire if williams and him have patched up their differences.

Vitt is the epitome of an old school coach. He is basically a Chuck Knox deciple. Anyone hating this hire is not well informed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

 

Sorry, I simply can’t agree.

 

Good organizations have foresight.

 

Gase should not have pushed back on William’s son. Williams should have been expected to bring in his son and that shouldn’t have come as a surprise. It did. And that’s the problem.

 

With Williams being hired as the HC - hiring Vitt should have been taken off the table.

You have to understand that.

If you like Williams that’s something that comes with his hire. If you love Vitt then Williams shouldn’t have been hired.

 

These are very basic questions any competent management team - in any industry- would ask themselves.

 

What really bothers me isn’t so much the coaching staff as assembled - but the level of incompetence this organization continues to show. I see no reason to think they can turn this team around.

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

24:25:31

 

Belichick & Parcells didn't much care for each other. In fact they didn't talk for years after the Jets debocle. Just improve the Jets win & loss record & everything and everyone will be honky dory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

The Williams Jr and Vitt hirings reek of nepotism and I can see the two opposing "families" butting heads quickly.

GMAB, Joe Vitt doesn't need Adam Gase to get a job in the NFL. Just because Gase married his daughter doesn't make the Joe Vitt hire nepotism. If it were the other way around and Joe Vitt hired a son in-law who was lacking a better resume than the next guy you might have a point. Gase hiring Vitt was all about hiring a solid old school football coach. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

We are all reacting and formulating opinions based on "reports" posted by Media, who's very lifeblood is provided by their ability to prompt provocative discussion and reaction with their writings.  Have any of the principals involved here come forward to publicly declare that this in fighting and discord exists? No.  Much ado about nothing.  The media cooked up these "scenarios" with a purpose in mind, and got their desired result.  Bully for them. So we disagree, probably won't be the last time.😁   

Has Mac, CJ or Gase given you any reason to believe they know what they're doing?

We know Gase hired Vitt (that is not a media fabrication) and we know what Vitt did to Williams, again, fact. (not a media fabrication)

We know Gase hired his son (fact) the only thing that could possibly be a media fabrication in this entire thing is that Gase and CJ initially didn't want William's son.  But no one denied it.  IMIO, it's way more likely than not that it's true.

Either way this is a volatile situation - if you want to stick your head in the sand and believe all of a sudden Mac, CJ and Gase have become competent at their jobs - then so be it.  I'll go by history,  until proven otherwise.  I certainly hope I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Has Mac, CJ or Gase given you any reason to believe they know what they're doing?

We know Gase hired Vitt (that is not a media fabrication) and we know what Vitt did to Williams, again, fact. (not a media fabrication)

We know Gase hired his son (fact) the only thing that could possibly be a media fabrication in this entire thing is that Gase and CJ initially didn't want William's son.  But no one denied it.  IMIO, it's way more likely than not that it's true.

Either way this is a volatile situation - if you want to stick your head in the sand and believe all of a sudden Mac, CJ and Gase have become competent at their jobs - then so be it.  I'll go by history,  until proven otherwise.  I certainly hope I'm wrong.

What Vitt "did to Williams" was refute Williams testimony that Vitt refused to end the Bounty program.  When you respond to someone else's contention of wrongdoing, defending yourself, how is that doing something to them?  What did you expect him to do?  Not denying a report does not verify the report.  Maybe they decided to take the high road.  The "volatile situation" conclusion is in and of itself a judgement.  There is no "history" here.  It is a brand new situation.  Giving the benefit of the doubt is no more "putting your head in the sand", than you citing "symptoms", makes you a conspiracy theorist.  I hope you are wrong too.  Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

What Vitt "did to Williams" was refute Williams testimony that Vitt refused to end the Bounty program.  When you respond to someone else's contention of wrongdoing, defending yourself, how is that doing something to them?  What did you expect him to do?  Not denying a report does not verify the report.  Maybe they decided to take the high road.  The "volatile situation" conclusion is in and of itself a judgement.  There is no "history" here.  It is a brand new situation.  Giving the benefit of the doubt is no more "putting your head in the sand", than you citing "symptoms", makes you a conspiracy theorist.  I hope you are wrong too.  Time will tell.

I'm not saying who's wrong or who's right, frankly I don't care what he did -  I'm not defending Williams or Vitt - just that there's contention there and an unhealthy situation that good organizations would avoid.

The history is one of failure for our acting owner, GM and new HC.  You can't simply ignore that - well I guess you can - but I won't.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2019 at 11:14 AM, peebag said:

This year, the sidelines will be more interesting that what's going on the field.

Hell, that's how it was last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are probably still friends. Why else would Williams even sign with the Jets and Gase?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ECURB said:

They are probably still friends. Why else would Williams even sign with the Jets and Gase?

Hey Joe how you been? Long time no see!

Nice to see you Gregg! I am so excited to get to "work" with you again.

Hey amigo just yesterday I was just reminiscing about that time we got caught paying bounties and your testimony got me and Sean thrown out for a year?

Yeah sure.. sure! Wow, that was fun!

Yeah man....good times!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...