Stephen Gostkowski

Skeptable

On 3/13/2019 at 10:20 AM, Untouchable said:

When has this ever been a huge issue for the Jets?

Even Doug Brien was a good, reliable placekicker until those two late game misses against Pittsburgh in the playoffs 15 years ago. Like I said, how can you really prepare for that? That kind of thing can happen to the best of PK’s. It’s a fickle position.

Even Gostkowski missed a couple of chip shots against the Eagles in the Super Bowl the other year.

It wouldn't have mattered if the offense had scored more then 0 points.. But lets blame the kicker..LOL

On 3/13/2019 at 1:38 PM, ChuckkieB said:

We don't need a good FG kicker because Bell and Darnold will be scoring TD's in bunches. :cheers:

On 3/13/2019 at 1:38 PM, Skeptable said:

Still need someone to kick the extra point... 

2 Point Conversions or bust

6 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

It wouldn't have mattered if the offense had scored more then 0 points.. But lets blame the kicker..LOL

Because the kicker isnt supposed to make kicks when called on?  He gets to blame someone else? 

He was paid to do one thing and didnt when he was needed.  This makes no sense

13 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I don’t even care about debating the context of the game.

I’m saying that Doug Brien hit 80% of the FG’s he attempted over a 12 year career but then was treated like a leper after that AFC Divisional game in Pittsburgh.

The bottom line is that kicker is the most fickle position in pro sports. Even if you have a historically reliable one, they can suddenly out of the blue shank two potential game winners in a playoff game.

I’m not in favor of tying up $4+ million a year on a kicker. Especially since it seems you’re way more likely to find a decent, respectable one for cheap than you are to be saddled with the next Roberto Aguayo who proves to be an utter disaster.

Jets Sign Kicker Chandler Catanzaro

The Jets have signed a familiar face — and foot — in kicker Chandler Catanzaro, who spent last year with the Buccaneers and Panthers after playing with the Jets in 2017.

Catanzaro converted 83.3% of his kicks with the Green & White, one of which was a franchise-long 57 yards at Cleveland, and made 100% of his extra points. The sixth-year veteran has a strong leg as his 45 touchbacks and 66.2% touchback rate were the most for a Jets kicker since 1991 at the time.

The 6’3”, 200-pounder signed a multi-year deal with the Bucs last offseason but was let go in November after converting 73.3% of his field goals (11-for-15) and 85.2% of his extra points (23-for-27). Catanzaro was picked up a month later and finished the season strong as he connected on all of his field goals and extra points in four games with the Panthers.

On 3/13/2019 at 2:22 PM, nycdan said:

Myers was like a Kree super-soldier from 50+ yards last season.  I expect every kicker to hit inside the 50.  Having one who can reliably hit from outside the 50 is rare.

Did you see his record from 50+ the three years prior? 3/4 in 2015, 7/12 in 2016, 0/3 in 2017 (before they cut him after 6 games).

Maybe 6/7 last year was a change in trend, maybe just an outlier. 

Interestingly Catanzaro hasn't missed from 50+ since 2016 (5/5 over three years).

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Did you see his record from 50+ the three years prior? 3/4 in 2015, 7/12 in 2016, 0/3 in 2017 (before they cut him after 6 games).

Maybe 6/7 last year was a change in trend, maybe just an outlier. 

Interestingly Catanzaro hasn't missed from 50+ since 2016 (5/5 over three years).

Interesting.  I'm hoping it's more something about Boyer.  Guess we'll find out next season.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:11 AM, Skeptable said:

Can the Jets pry this guy from the Pats... he has been as good as them come... I know, I know, there are so many other needs... but it would be a sneaky steal from the Pats and give a super reliable FG kicker.

A major part of the Pats training program is a robust Anti Jets brainwashing protocol. BB got the deets from Scientology.  No one of quality will ever come to the Jets. They believe if they come here, they will never forever burn in the eternal fires. 

Sadly, it's not far from the truth. 

The problem with Myers is we have no idea how he handles high-pressure situations, such as, oh, I don't know, making a 43-yard field goal with 10 seconds left where you team is losing 16-15? How many times have we seen All-Pro kickers self-destruct when they get put into that situation? No way do you give $4 million to an untested kicker.

PM-vandshank.gif.e493f785c045090579e86661ba8941cc.gif

6 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The bottom line is that kicker is the most fickle position in pro sports. Even if you have a historically reliable one, they can suddenly out of the blue shank two potential game winners in a playoff game.

Morten Anderson says “Hi”.

He didnt miss a kick all season until late in the 1998 NFC Championship game. Would have put the Vikings up 10 and essentially clinched a SuoerBowl birth. 

Falcons scored a late TD to tie the game and won in overtime. 

19 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Morten Anderson says “Hi”.

He didnt miss a kick all season until late in the 1998 NFC Championship game. Would have put the Vikings up 10 and essentially clinched a SuoerBowl birth. 

Falcons scored a late TD to tie the game and won in overtime. 

Exactly 

And Anderson is a HOFer.

There’s no sense in tying up $4-6 million a year on a kicker. When was the last time the Jets were saddled with a truly sh*tty one despite not dishing out top of the market money?

Just 7 months ago some people were freaking out about the Jets letting Catanzaro walk and being stuck with a Cairo Santos/Jason Myers/Taylor Bertolet situation.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:34 AM, Dunnie said:

He's amazing ... Why the **** would be spend time or money for something we don't need at all... Spend it on OL period.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mac has conditioned many fans into believing the OL just isn’t that important, despite what all the successful teams think ?‍♂️

Archived