PFF Top 5 Tackles 2019 Draft By Pass Blocking Efficiency

Barry McCockinner

T-1. CHUMA EDOGA, USC

Chuma Edoga, an athletic freak and USC’s primary right tackle for each of the past two seasons, allowed just four hurries across 304 pass-blocking snaps in 2018. With no sacks or hits allowed tied to his name, the 6-foot-3, 308-pound Edoga ranked tied for first in PFF’s pass-blocking efficiency (99.3).

Edoga-PB-Eff-1024x576.png

T-1. DALTON RISNER, KANSAS STATE

Kansas State’s Dalton Risner tied Edoga at the top of this list with his 99.3 pass-blocking efficiency a year ago. He allowed just five total pressures (two hurries, three hits) across his 352 pass-blocking snaps in 2018.

Risner-PB-Eff-1024x576.png

T-3. CODY FORD, OKLAHOMA

Despite making the switch to tackle just this season, Oklahoma’s Cody Ford turned in an impressive 99.1 pass-blocking efficiency in 2018, allowing just six hurries and one sack across his 441 pass-blocking snaps.

Ford-PB-Eff-1024x576.png

T-3. PATRICK MEKARI, CALIFORNIA

Tagged as just a three-star recruit (ESPN) coming out of high school, Patrick Mekari didn’t get a ton of love in the recruiting process, but he has since exceeded expectations in his collegiate career with the Golden Bears. Starting at left tackle in 2018, Mekari allowed just seven total pressures (six hurries, one hit) on his 377 pass-blocking snaps en route to an impressive 99.1 pass-blocking efficiency.

Mekari-PB-Eff-1024x576.png

5. ANDRE DILLARD, WASHINGTON STATE

Andre Dillard destroyed the 2019 NFL Combine and has risen up draft boards as a result. The 6-foot-5, 315-pound Washington State product recorded an absurd 4.96s 40-yard dash and a 4.4s short shuttle in Indy, and his play prior to the Combine wasn’t so bad, either. He allowed just 13 total pressures (10 hurries, two hits, one sack) across an FBS-high 722 pass-blocking snaps in 2018, earning the fifth-best pass-blocking efficiency (99.0) among qualifiers.

Dillard-PB-Eff-1024x576.png

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-ranking-the-top-five-offensive-tackles-in-the-2019-nfl-draft-by-pass-blocking-efficiency

I think the first 3 guys are right tackles - which makes the list odd to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not a fan of PFF but I do love Edoga if he's available with our third. He came in a bit short but other than that he's everything you look for in a LT. He also dominated at the SB and IMO was the best player there.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Right Tackle is almost as important as left in today’s NFL. A lot of premiere rushers come from the righr aide majority of snaps.

If we don’t trade down I would hope we can find a Center and a RT with two picks out of our three in rounds 3/4.

The dream scenario would be the Giants being dead set on landing Murray/Lock/Haskins and giving us #6 and #17 to move up.

Then we take Dillard/Jonah Williams at 6 and Bradbury/Risner at 17.

Grab an EDGE like Polite or Banogu at the top of the 3rd in that scenario.

20 hours ago, RobR said:

Not a fan of PFF but I do love Edoga if he's available with our third. He came in a bit short but other than that he's everything you look for in a LT. He also dominated at the SB and IMO was the best player there.

I think he’s actually pretty similar to a guy like Beachum.

Not going to be a huge help in the running game but could be a solid pass protector and adequate starting LT overall. Agreed he’d be a nice pickup in the 3rd.

Dillard has Brick written all over him. He might even be my primary target if the Jets move down into the 6-10 range.

The guy I know absolutely nothing about is Mekari. But I’ve seen his name popping up more and more.

48 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I think he’s actually pretty similar to a guy like Beachum.

Not going to be a huge help in the running game but could be a solid pass protector and adequate starting LT overall. Agreed he’d be a nice pickup in the 3rd.

Dillard has Brick written all over him. He might even be my primary target if the Jets move down into the 6-10 range.

The guy I know absolutely nothing about is Mekari. But I’ve seen his name popping up more and more.

I like Edoga better than Beachum because of his length even if they are the same height. He has some really long arms for someone only 6'3". IIRC there might be some off field concerns with him but he was downright dominant at the SB.

I did a little film on Dillard and like him but I don't see a Brick clone at least from a physical standpoint. Brick was much longer and leaner although they play a similar game.

This draft can't get here soon enough.

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

I like Edoga better than Beachum because of his length even if they are the same height. He has some really long arms for someone only 6'3". IIRC there might be some off field concerns with him but he was downright dominant at the SB.

I did a little film on Dillard and like him but I don't see a Brick clone at least from a physical standpoint. Brick was much longer and leaner although they play a similar game.

I have heard some of the same things, but after looking for details online, most I could find is a one game suspension at the start of the 2016 season after making contact with an official.  Have not seen any problems since then.  Unless there is something I missed, can't see off field issues as a reason not to take him.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I have heard some of the same things, but after looking for details online, most I could find is a one game suspension at the start of the 2016 season after making contact with an official.  Have not seen any problems since then.  Unless there is something I missed, can't see off field issues as a reason not to take him.

If that is his only negative then I'd love to draft him with our first third, even over whatever centers may be available. Maybe @HelenOfTroy could offer some more info since she follows the team.

1 hour ago, RobR said:

If that is his only negative then I'd love to draft him with our first third, even over whatever centers may be available. Maybe @HelenOfTroy could offer some more info since she follows the team.

Immaturity, shoved a ref who he thought shoved him.  Disciplined by the HC.  Not good, but compared to what other players have gotten away with across the country not that bad.  He paid the price.  Sure the FO can ask Mr. Squeaky  Clean Sam all about him. ?

To put this in perspective, no matter what could be questioned about the coaching ability of our HC, he is a genuine Southern gentleman who dismissed two highly ranked safeties we really needed for 1). Having a female in his room the night  before a game, 2) for shouting and getting in the face of a female athlete while intoxicated.  

But after the sh*t show and embarrassment of Lane Kiffin followed by Steve Sarkisian, Clay kept a clean house.

16 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Immaturity, shoved a ref who he thought shoved him.  Disciplined by the HC.  Not good, but compared to what other players have gotten away with across the country not that bad.  He paid the price.  Sure the FO can ask Mr. Squeaky  Clean Sam all about him. ?

To put this in perspective, no matter what could be questioned about the coaching ability of our HC, he is a genuine Southern gentleman who dismissed two highly ranked safeties we really needed for 1). Having a female in his room the night  before a game, 2) for shouting and getting in the face of a female athlete while intoxicated.  

But after the sh*t show and embarrassment of Lane Kiffin followed by Steve Sarkisian, Clay kept a clean house.

If that was his only indiscretion during college I wouldn't give any pause to drafting him. Thanks for the insight because for some reason I thought it was worse. I'm getting so deep into these prospects at this time that I'm forgetting who did what. ?  

1 hour ago, RobR said:

If that was his only indiscretion during college I wouldn't give any pause to drafting him. Thanks for the insight because for some reason I thought it was worse. I'm getting so deep into these prospects at this time that I'm forgetting who did what. ?  

No problem!  I forgot to mention, Tay also knows him, so two super clean guys to vouch for Chuma.  He came out to USC from Georgia, wide eyed about the L.A. life, and everything that comes with it.  

His mama made him pick between USC and Stanford.  ?

6 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

No problem!  I forgot to mention, Tay also knows him, so two super clean guys to vouch for Chuma.  He came out to USC from Georgia, wide eyed about the L.A. life, and everything that comes with it.  

His mama made him pick between USC and Stanford.  ?

What I noticed about him was that he only played RT at USC and yet they moved him to LT for the SB. That speaks volumes about how NFL insiders are projecting where he plays in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

What I noticed about him was that he only played RT at USC and yet they moved him to LT for the SB. That speaks volumes about how NFL insiders are projecting where he plays in the NFL.

His three OL coaches were terrible, those kids played for a coaching carousel.  

Edoga was also behind Chad Wheelet at USC.  After the Utah State incident, he did request a transfer which, obviously, never happened.  He seems to have matured during his time at SC.  Would be a good RT that may be able to transition to the left side.

16 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The dream scenario would be the Giants being dead set on landing Murray/Lock/Haskins and giving us #6 and #17 to move up.

I think it moved...

12 hours ago, RobR said:

The only tackle i have any interest in is Yodny Cajuste. He would have a chance early on to supplant Shell at RT. In 2020 they're could be 4 or 5 Lt prospects with 1st round grades. Beachum isn't a pro- bowler, but he isn't Wayne Hunter.

1 hour ago, genot said:

The only tackle i have any interest in is Yodny Cajuste. He would have a chance early on to supplant Shell at RT. In 2020 they're could be 4 or 5 Lt prospects with 1st round grades. Beachum isn't a pro- bowler, but he isn't Wayne Hunter.

I haven't watched much of Cajuste so I don't have much of an opinion. I don't remember him standing out at the SB though.

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

I haven't watched much of Cajuste so I don't have much of an opinion. I don't remember him standing out at the SB though.

He was playing hurt. Very strong, great length, good athlete. A little raw. Would be an immediate upgrade to Shell in the running game. Pass blocking???Has the tools though.

12 minutes ago, RobR said:

I forgot what the problem was. He hurt his ankle in practice, early on, and didn't practice again, or play in the game.

1 hour ago, genot said:

I’m liking Cajuste where he is being slotted right now, 3rd round.   The injury thing is a concern, but he’s long enough and mobile enough to play LT in the NFL.  He needs to work on some technique since he’s coming from a Dana Holgorsen offense, but for someone coming out of that type of offense he is a really good run blocker already.   I like him, there is enough to work with IMO.  

19 hours ago, RobR said:

I say that each year and then watch as our gm ignores the oline and takes 3rd rate Wrs and more 6th round corners.

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m liking Cajuste where he is being slotted right now, 3rd round.   The injury thing is a concern, but he’s long enough and mobile enough to play LT in the NFL.  He needs to work on some technique since he’s coming from a Dana Holgorsen offense, but for someone coming out of that type of offense he is a really good run blocker already.   I like him, there is enough to work with IMO.  

Considering how good of a run blocker he is, and his athletic skills, he could be a beast of a RT.

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I say that each year and then watch as our gm ignores the oline and takes 3rd rate Wrs and more 6th round corners.

This year will be different....at least I've been telling myself that for the last 35+ years.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:28 PM, RobR said:

This year will be different....at least I've been telling myself that for the last 35+ years.

depends on the trade down, if they really do trade down and get a good offer then you'll finally get a large OL haul from this draft... Team LOVES taylor, and has from day one so either him or dillard will most likely be the pick in a trade down... Nothing is guaranteed, but from what i've heard alllllll offseason is that the jets are pretty adamant about coming away from this draft with a center..

Also look out for a new RG.  Talks are that the team may move winters in a draft night trade in an attempt to completely upgrade the line. 

On 4/20/2019 at 1:35 PM, Adoni Beast said:

Right Tackle is almost as important as left in today’s NFL. A lot of premiere rushers come from the righr aide majority of snaps.

If we don’t trade down I would hope we can find a Center and a RT with two picks out of our three in rounds 3/4.

I think you can find a good RT and C prospect in the 3rd round with our two picks. If we need to move up from the bottom of the third to the middle by giving up a 5th next year or bench player, so be it. But if the Jets can get Jenkins-C and Sharping-OT in the third, without having to trade down and sacrificing a guy like Bosa or Allen with the #3 pick, I would be very happy with how they addressed the O-line this year.   

I would also be fine with them trading down and taking Jonah or Dillard, but only if they get a haul for the #3 pick. Meaning, multiple first round picks AND MORE (either this year via the Giants or this year and next with another team). If Murray falls to #3 I think its possible, but if he goes #1 I think its unlikely and I think it makes even more sense for the Jets to stick b/c odds are the pass rusher they want will be there.  

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

depends on the trade down, if they really do trade down and get a good offer then you'll finally get a large OL haul from this draft... Team LOVES taylor, and has from day one so either him or dillard will most likely be the pick in a trade down... Nothing is guaranteed, but from what i've heard alllllll offseason is that the jets are pretty adamant about coming away from this draft with a center..

Also look out for a new RG.  Talks are that the team may move winters in a draft night trade in an attempt to completely upgrade the line. 

I have not heard much from the Jets other than that they would like to move down. 

I've heard rumors very early on that they like Allen. I've heard recent rumors that they like Oliver. I've heard rumors that they would target Dillard or Johan if a trade down were to happen. But those are just rumors. Macc is pretty tight-lipped and rarely shows his hand. Haven;t heard anything about them adamant about drafting a C or being in 'love' with Taylor. 

If they were THAT in love with Taylor, they should just draft him #3 overall b/c he is a LT (critical position) and he is expected to go in the top 10...often mocked at 6 to Giants or 7 to Jags.

I don't believe any of the rumors. I think the Jets will draft Allen unless they get a haul to trade down. Everything else is just noise. He fills a major need, has zero red flags, is a hometown kid, good character, no injury concerns, proven player putting up major numbers in a tough conference, has a low floor and high ceiling (I think at worst he will be a solid versatile starter), did well in the combine, fits the system. I mean, he is kind of a no-brainer, which is why I am NOT surprised that we have heard so little from the Jets about how much they like him. They are keeping a tight lid on it.      

37 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I think you can find a good RT and C prospect in the 3rd round with our two picks. If we need to move up from the bottom of the third to the middle by giving up a 5th next year or bench player, so be it. But if the Jets can get Jenkins-C and Sharping-OT in the third, without having to trade down and sacrificing a guy like Bosa or Allen with the #3 pick, I would be very happy with how they addressed the O-line this year.   

I would also be fine with them trading down and taking Jonah or Dillard, but only if they get a haul for the #3 pick. Meaning, multiple first round picks AND MORE (either this year via the Giants or this year and next with another team). If Murray falls to #3 I think its possible, but if he goes #1 I think its unlikely and I think it makes even more sense for the Jets to stick b/c odds are the pass rusher they want will be there.  

I’m afraid Jenkins won’t last til the 3rd. Hopefully he does.

On 4/19/2019 at 5:09 PM, RobR said:

Good call!

Welcome to the Jets Chuma! Good job by Macc getting this guy after he absolutely could not pass up on Polite early in the 3rd. 

So far I am impressed with the draft picks. Classic Macc draft going after value above all else. 

QW- consensus top non-QB in the draft. 

Polite- First round talent who fell to 3rd round b/c of terrible combine and bad interview (although the tape says it all, this guy was an elite Pass Rusher last year in a tough conference). 

Edoga- Very talented, athletic OT, a bit raw but has the potential to play LT in the NFL. Beachems replacement, maybe supplants Shell. This guys was very good at USC.   

On 4/20/2019 at 1:07 PM, Untouchable said:

This thread has so much win, and this post pops out as one of many that sniffed out the positions the Jets focused on early.

We got both Polite and Chuma Edoga (who you didn't mention by name but obviously you were looking at OT/OLine) + the best player in the draft (QW)?

As much as I love our first 3 rounds, I really think we screwed the pooch on Day 3.  Time will tell.

On 4/21/2019 at 6:57 AM, genot said:

The Jets will need to know by the end of this season if Edoga has a path to starting LT.  I think getting coached her by Frank Pollack (great OLine coach) will really help him.  If Edoga isn't the heir apparent to Beachum then hopefully the Jets take advantage of what next year's Draft may offer at LT.....although I'm still expecting the Jets to have several other needs (CB, WR, possibly Center, OG, etc.)

Archived