Jets add two more names to GM search

34 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Where is that even coming from? We haven’t heard of his specific interview date so he is out? That makes little sense to me. Did I miss something?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

Typical Jet fan "logic"

I don't understand why you guys think they are wrong.  Douglas was considered a slam dunk, just waiting for the job and Rooney rule interviews.  The fact that they are adding names makes it pretty clear that this will; be an actual search.  That is fine, but it certainly discounts the "It's Douglas' job" narrative. 

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

What I heard...

"The Jets have five legitimate GM candidates"

"Douglas to interview next week"

Good enough for me.  Not sure why this process has to be rushed in the eyes of some people.

Seems that for once, at least, they actually have a pretty good group of people to interview, guys who could be very value added at the GM position. Definitely go through all your progressions, here.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

What I heard...

"The Jets have five legitimate GM candidates"

"Douglas to interview next week"

Good enough for me.  Not sure why this process has to be rushed in the eyes of some people.

Here is one more.  "Douglas will be Interviewing this weekend."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Because they’ll be paid the same. Gase from all indications is making essentially the league minimum for a HC. How do the Jets lure an up and coming GM candidate without paying him more than that? It’s why we keep settling on guys who end up getting over promoted.

Just wondering. what indications are they?

So, the updated somewhat confirmed list is (in no particular order):

1. Joe Douglas - Eagles Vice President of Player Personnel
  2. Scott Fitterer - Seahawks Co-Director of Player Personnel 
  3. Champ Kelly - Bears Assistant Director of Player Personnel
  4. Terry Fontenot - Saints Director of Pro Scouting
  5. George Paton - Vikings Assistant General Manager

Before people jump to "conspiracy conclusions" they need to consider:

- The GM job just opened up two weeks ago in the part of the year when that
doesn't happen 

- Candidates will ask around about whether they should accept the interview

- Then they have to talk with their families about the possibility of moving

- Then they have to prepare for the interview by learning about the current team.
They also have to prepare their presentation for their vision going forward

- Then they have to contact their friends about joining their staff

So its not crazy that setting up these interviews takes a couple of days 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

doesn't happen 

- Then they have to prepare for the interview by learning about the current team.

It's also not crazy for fans to be skeptical of the process after the Jets completely boned the previous two GM hires. Why so eager to give the Jets the benefit of the doubt? 

Just now, Matt39 said:

It's also not crazy for fans to be skeptical of the process after the Jets completely boned the previous two GM hires. Why so eager to give the Jets the benefit of the doubt? 

No benefit of the doubt has been given.  I'm just outlining that interviews of this type take time

and preparation.  It's not like going down to Walmart and looking for a summer position

10 minutes ago, KRL said:

doesn't happen 

Good points. Reality sucks sometimes.?

I don't understand why you guys think they are wrong.  Douglas was considered a slam dunk, just waiting for the job and Rooney rule interviews.  The fact that they are adding names makes it pretty clear that this will; be an actual search.  That is fine, but it certainly discounts the "It's Douglas' job" narrative. 

That’s fine.
The pendulum swing to “he’s out” seems pretty far fetched just because there are other names on the list though.

I was sincerely curious if there was an actual nugget I missed. It doesn’t sound like I did. Just extreme response thinking again.

Many of us thought it would be sound thinking to get a strong group in here if for no other purpose than to find out the intel on how these guys see the Jets as an org and what would be needed to fix it. I still agree with that thinking. Why would it all of the sudden mean the top candidate is out as a result of this process?

I’ll add my fear based impatience would much rather they just hired the guy and got it over with but its probably better to spend a week or two on the process overall.

Coming from the fact that things generally move fast if the guy is the guy. 

Mathematics again huh? Simple equations where we fill in the blanks with our extremist thinking. lol

I’d rather they just hired him too but it doesn’t really mean anything that they are interviewing people. joe Douglas isn’t going anywhere else over the next two weeks.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

That too. Reading the tea leaves already it sounds like Douglas is probably out. The Jets make this more difficult than it needs to be. The reporting structure alone just continues to leave no one truly in charge. We don't even know which owner is in charge.

If you were reading the tea leaves you should have came to the conclusion that Douglas had this job wrapped up before Mac was fired.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

It's the Jets. They typically arent the proactive type.

I'll give you that but like you said "if you read the tea leaves" everything would suggest that Douglas is the guy. Especially with the rumors that were confirmed and the timing of Macs firing. We'll see soon enough.

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

I'll give you that but like you said "if you read the tea leaves" everything would suggest that Douglas is the guy. Especially with the rumors that were confirmed and the timing of Macs firing. We'll see soon enough.

Sure, in normal land this would be the case. It's the Jets though. There are internal parameters to the job that seem to arise at the last minute that seem to scare candidates off. Idzik sure as hell wasn't their first choice. 

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Idzik sure as hell wasn't their first choice. 

It's different this time with the time frame......or at least that is what I am hoping. If this happened on black Monday I would agree, but this happened after the draft and the major FA period.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:55 AM, flgreen said:

At the end of the season the job would have looked good.  New GM had tons of money to spend, and an early draft pick.

Now they have to come in behind a failed GM, who just spent a total of over $200,000,000 in FA money.

Your top 2 FA's have other things to do during OTA's.  In January it would appear to be a great job.  All you can do now is manage a failed GM's roster. 

That's really what makes this bad timing. Probably few would refuse the job over the selection of QW, and even if they don't like any picks after him since the latter are on cheaper, non-guaranteed deals that are easy to get out of. But the FA money is different. You're locked into these guys for a year or two, and it'll be a couple more years before you recoup the spending ability their salaries occupy, at which time FA costs have another 2 years of inflation before you can have your first gangbusters FA period. 

It's true that there are only so many of these jobs that come available, and even a hot name may want to strike while that iron's hot (e.g. like Brian Schottenheimer should have done when he was being floated as a hot young HC candidate). A couple suspect moves and it'll put those promotion plans on hold for another 5 years, if not permanently. 

At the same time, if you're really such a 'next big thing' type hotshot, were you really holding out all this time so you could work for the Jets, with a HC and gobs of signings written in stone 5 minutes before you got there? Douglas may be an obvious exception since he supposedly has such close ties with Gase. But if he passes on the job, we have a good chance of merely getting the best of the leftovers no one else wanted to promote (just like our last two GMs). 

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's really what makes this bad timing. Probably few would refuse the job over the selection of QW, and even if they don't like any picks after him since the latter are on cheaper, non-guaranteed deals that are easy to get out of. But the FA money is different. You're locked into these guys for a year or two, and it'll be a couple more years before you recoup the spending ability their salaries occupy, at which time FA costs have another 2 years of inflation before you can have your first gangbusters FA period. 

It's true that there are only so many of these jobs that come available, and even a hot name may want to strike while that iron's hot (e.g. like Brian Schottenheimer should have done when he was being floated as a hot young HC candidate). A couple suspect moves and it'll put those promotion plans on hold for another 5 years, if not permanently. 

At the same time, if you're really such a 'next big thing' type hotshot, were you really holding out all this time so you could work for the Jets, with a HC and gobs of signings written in stone 5 minutes before you got there? Douglas may be an obvious exception since he supposedly has such close ties with Gase. But if he passes on the job, we have a good chance of merely getting the best of the leftovers no one else wanted to promote (just like our last two GMs). 

Douglas may be an exception for another reason also.

Last year he was blocked by the Eagles from doing a GM interview because they were in the play offs.  Never did get a chance to interview.

Chances are fair the Eagles will be in the playoffs again in 2019.  Will he be blocked again?  If the Birds don't make the playoffs will it take the shine off his star?

I'm Douglas, and the job is offered, as it should be , I take it

• Upvote 1