Jamal Adams "Arguably the best Safety in the League" Video Breakdown

52 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Do you guys really think Mahomes or Watson would have been the same versions of themselves under Todd Bowles and Jeremy Bates. I'm sure there would have been factions here who would have grown frustrated with them and labeled them busts when they didn't put up prolific numbers under this moronic HC. 

First off kudos to your screen name. Loved Lance Mehl. One of my favorite Jets and my favorite Jets LB. As far as Watson and Mahomes being effective under Bowles and Macc: I don’t think they would have had the success they experienced so early in their career but I would have rolled the dice with either one. Both are elite athletes so it would have been just a matter of time before they found their footing under a different coaching staff. The argument isn’t whether either would have flourished under the previous regime but rather how do you take a freaking safety over a potential franchise QB. In retrospect, taking Adams instead of Watson or Mahomes was the beginning of the end for Macc. Regardless, nothing could have saved the Dumb Dumb twins.

46 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Actually I’m cool bro. You don’t have to keep this weird charade going. Have a good night.

Not until you admit Jamal is just an average box safety ? just kidding. Your passion is actually quite refreshing.

Yes.  I left out the irrelevant players to this equation because we're talking about how visionary you were that 18 was better than 17.  At the time, Mayfield was not the consensus #1 overall pick, he was arguably a 2nd a rounder after being embarrassed by Georgia.  He elevated his status with a great senior year.  You did not have him rated over Darnold.   Rosen had just played 6 games because he's was often injured and was considered a sh*t head.  His "polish" was born during the draft process and you didnt not have him over Darnold either.  Nobody did on either. 
Your last comment I addressed a few posts ago, obviously Mahomes benefits greater from Reid than he would here but that's not what we're talking about.  We're talking about how you knew the 18 class was mentally stronger and further along than the 17 class.

Before the 2017 it was common consensus that the 2018 was much higher rated than the 17 class. I'd like to see all these posters raving about mahomes show me some posts before the 17 draft saying they wanted mahomes.

Sent from my SM-J701M using Tapatalk

So we're to believe PK was a QB savant, and knew that the '18 class could overcome our coaching/front office but not anyone in the '17 class.  Thus, Mayfield/Rosen/Darnold + Adams was better than Watson/Mahomes + whoever we could have taken in the 1st in '18 + three 2nd rounders.
Sounds legit. 
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Makes you always right.

Sent from my SM-J701M using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

/chuckle, if you say so.

And any disagreement you have is your opinion and nothing more.  

Winning 5 and 4 games after picking him is, tho.

Um....isn't Adams a decent player?  He didn't march Adams out the door, right?  So not "every" I guess.

Indeed.  And so much is obviously not enough.  If Safety were as impact as you seem to think......

Insert "...your opinion and nothing more" retort, since you're a fan of that.

I don't like losing.  And we're losers right now.  And a big part of why is backassward drafting by Macc on supposed BAP, most of whom turned out to be Zzz instead.  Adams is good (as I've said repeatedly), but piking supposed BAP in that pick, all factors considered, was not good.  

Oh, be assured, I do blame Macc.  When most of the folks here made excuses for him, I didn't.

If you cannot understand what I wrote  (Adams is good, still wrong pick in that moment) I really can't help you mate.  It's not really even a debate tbqh.

You must enjoy splitting hairs? Your first two responses you are entitled to as much as I am mine.

The third response is lame at best. Winning 5 and 4 games is Adams fault? Talk about nonsense. Put the very best football player you can think of on the Jets 2018 roster and they still win 4 games. The last time I checked football was still a team sport.

Your next response doesn't make any sense. You've got your facts mixed up. Mac marched every veteran talent right out the door. Adams was drafted by Mac to specifically replace veteran players. He's currently the very best player the Jets have on their roster. TBC

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Seems not much makes sense to you tbqh. 

Also, Adams is the best player on the roster?  Lol, ok.

Lol. OK. So if you know so much. If there's other players on the roster that are BETTER players than Adams, according to you.... Let's hear it. Throw me with your keen insight and infinite knowledge. 

I just can't wait to read this. The Jets have probably the very worst talented roster in the league, except for two players (FA pickups do not count. They haven't played a down for the Jets) and internet Nostradamus is going to tell me the error of my ways......

I just wanted to take the time to remind people that.....

Jamal Adams is an all-pro complete safety.

He produced 1 int last year while in coverage. But that of course isn't what got him to all-pro status.

It's the fact that with over 100+ snaps in coverage he gave up a total of 0 TD's while have 12 pass defensed. 

Let's keep pushing the box safety narrative while ignoring the facts though.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

He produced 1 int last year while in coverage. But that of course isn't what got him to all-pro status.

It's the fact that with over 100+ snaps in coverage he gave up a total of 0 TD's while have 12 pass defensed. 

But we could have taken a QB which is more important.

So I'm guessing all the "we needed a QB so we should have taken a QB any QB instead of a non-impact position player" would have been just as happy with Deshone Kizer who was also thought of as a first round QB and was at one time thought of as the best QB in the draft.

Or is it just the 20-20 hindsight guys pining over Mahomes (who had mechanical issues and was coming from a spread air raid offense) and...maybe Watson...but not so much Watson because he's not as great, but, yeah Mahomes because he's great!

16 hours ago, PoconoJetFan said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Makes you always right.

The best part of the hindsight is the guys we could have taken with the picks we gave up.

Someone posted a list of the very best players in the draft who we COULD have taken had we kept all those picks.

It's comical.  Literally, guys googling the 2018 draft, picking the best performing players last year and saying--"we coulda had deese guys!"

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Lol. OK. So if you know so much. If there's other players on the roster that are BETTER players than Adams, according to you.... Let's hear it. Throw me with your keen insight and infinite knowledge. 

I just can't wait to read this. The Jets have probably the very worst talented roster in the league, except for two players (FA pickups do not count. They haven't played a down for the Jets) and internet Nostradamus is going to tell me the error of my ways......

I'm not going to tell you anything. 

You seem to think you have all the answers, why would I invest my time with someone who has already decided he's 100% right and no one can convince him otherwise?

If it pleases you to think Adams is the best player on the team, was the perfect draft pick in that spot, hell, maybe is even the greatest Jet who ever lived, by all means, enjoy yourself, mate. 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If it pleases you to think Adams is the best player on the team...by all means, enjoy yourself, mate. 

Good discussion point and I think that was what he was saying.

If it pleases you to think Adams ...was the perfect draft pick in that spot, hell, maybe is even the greatest Jet who ever lived, by all means, enjoy yourself, mate. 

This is the type of hyperbole that detracts from the discussion.  

5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Good discussion point and I think that was what he was saying.

This is the type of hyperbole that detracts from the discussion.  

Except it's not, since he nearly verbatim said exactly that (the first part at least) in this very thread.

Admitted, the second part was rather clearly hyperbolic sarcasm on my part.  

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm not going to tell you anything. 

You seem to think you have all the answers, why would I invest my time with someone who has already decided he's 100% right and no one can convince him otherwise?

If it pleases you to think Adams is the best player on the team, was the perfect draft pick in that spot, hell, maybe is even the greatest Jet who ever lived, by all means, enjoy yourself, mate. 

In other words, you placed yourself way too far out on a flimsy, fragile branch that could very easily break and cause you major backtracking.

Face it.... Telling all of us about all of the players that are MORE talented than Jamal Adams on the NYJ is not your smartest moment? I'm not trying to insult you or anything. I have no reason not to respect you. But just about the entire objective football fan world would find your argument ludicrous.

15 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

In other words, you placed yourself way too far out on a flimsy, fragile branch that could very easily break and cause you major backtracking.

Lol, no.  I just don't always choose to waste my time.  Then again.....

Face it.... Telling all of us about all of the players that are MORE talented than Jamal Adams on the NYJ is not your smartest moment?

Bell. 

If you'd like to explain how a one-good-year-one-poor-year Safety with one career INT is a better player than a multi-year ~1,800-2,100 yard, 10-12 TD Running Back, I'm all ears.

Darnold.  

The QB is A. a better prospect, and B. materially more vital to the success and failure of the team and wins/losses than any Safety ever will be.

Mosely

4-time All-Pro Linebacker, with 9 career INT's I should point out, in his 5 seasons.

I'll say it again, Adams is a very good Safety.  Safety simply isn't that vital or impactful a position.  

I'm not trying to insult you or anything. I have no reason not to respect you.

Respect is earned.  If I haven't earned it based on what I've said, you have no reason to give it (respect).  

But just about the entire objective football fan world would find your argument ludicrous.

I think most objective football fans, sitting watching the draft roll out in 2017, with the Jets picking at #6, and with Ryan "lolsuckbag" Fitzpatrick having just be let go after a horrendous season, and no one remotely legit at QB waiting in the wings, would think "wow, they passed on a QB to draft....a Safety?".

And that's without hindsight.

With hindsight, lol, it's not even close, as anyone with half a brain would say Mahomes > Adams.  I must admit, I was not a Mahomes guy, I was a personally a Watson guy.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Except it's not, since he nearly verbatim said exactly that (the first part at least) in this very thread.

Admitted, the second part was rather clearly hyperbolic sarcasm on my part.  

Folks have wildly differing views on different players. 

Just hoping we can all stay grounded and have civil conversations. 

On 5/30/2019 at 6:31 PM, Warfish said:

Lol, no.  I just don't always choose to waste my time.  Then again.....

Bell. 

If you'd like to explain how a one-good-year-one-poor-year Safety with one career INT is a better player than a multi-year ~1,800-2,100 yard, 10-12 TD Running Back, I'm all ears.

Darnold.  

The QB is A. a better prospect, and B. materially more vital to the success and failure of the team and wins/losses than any Safety ever will be.

Mosely

4-time All-Pro Linebacker, with 9 career INT's I should point out, in his 5 seasons.

I'll say it again, Adams is a very good Safety.  Safety simply isn't that vital or impactful a position.  

Respect is earned.  If I haven't earned it based on what I've said, you have no reason to give it (respect).  

I think most objective football fans, sitting watching the draft roll out in 2017, with the Jets picking at #6, and with Ryan "lolsuckbag" Fitzpatrick having just be let go after a horrendous season, and no one remotely legit at QB waiting in the wings, would think "wow, they passed on a QB to draft....a Safety?".

And that's without hindsight.

With hindsight, lol, it's not even close, as anyone with half a brain would say Mahomes > Adams.  I must admit, I was not a Mahomes guy, I was a personally a Watson guy.

Bell and Moseley are free agents. The debate we're having is about multiple players, meaning more than one, are better than Jamal Adams. Well, Bell and Moseley have never played a single down for the Jets. Meanwhile, Jamal Adams has been playing for the Jets for two years. Get your facts straight please and try comparing apples to apples to make a decent argument.

I also find it hilarious that you think Sammy Darnold is a better player than Jamal Adams. What is that based on his incredibly awesome numbers of his rookie season?? Listen, I like Sam as much as anyone. I'm as confident he'll become, EVENTUALLY, a franchise QB as anyone. Right now in the face of objective fact, he SUCKS. Ryan Fitzpatrick had far superior numbers than Darnolds rookie season. Realize this debate is about Jamal Adams and the last two years he's been on the Jets roster.

And obviously we have very differing views on respect is not earned, it's given. I guess I would never want to actually meet you? I get the feeling you've earned a lot of disrespect given how you must treat people you don't know?

And using Mahomes to criticize is 100% hindsight. It's classic Monday morning QBing. 

Arguing that Jamal Adams was not the very best player on the roster the last two seasons is like you being a Darron Lee apologist. Absurd.

7 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Bell and Moseley are free agents. The debate we're having is about multiple players, meaning more than one, are better than Jamal Adams. Well, Bell and Moseley have never played a single down for the Jets. Meanwhile, Jamal Adams has been playing for the Jets for two years. Get your facts straight please and try comparing apples to apples to make a decent argument.

Um, ok.  

And obviously we have very differing views on respect is not earned, it's given. I guess I would never want to actually meet you? I get the feeling you've earned a lot of disrespect given how you must treat people you don't know?

You'd have to ask ol' Crusher, he's the only one here whose ever met me.  I think he thought I was ok, more or less. 

Of course, that might have just been the chicken wings talking....

I have no idea if you'd want to meet me or not.  I tend to think I'm a pretty nice guy generally, but then again I can seperate a person from an opinion on football.

Arguing that Jamal Adams was not the very best player on the roster the last two seasons is like you being a Darron Lee apologist. Absurd.

Wait, I'm a Darren Lee apologist now? :-k Sure you don't have me confused with someone else (with my avatar I have no idea how that might be possible, but.....).  

Listen, no stress.  If you want to wank over Adams, again mate, be my guest.  I've said all along he is a very good Safety, my view on that hasn't changed one iota.  If that's not good enough for you, you're just going to have to be disappointed.  

On 5/30/2019 at 3:00 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Except that a lot of the people posting in this thread bashed the Adams pick the night it happened. So....

A lot of people?  I wanted Watson so?  Weren't many who agreed.  Today?  A lot more make that claim.   And as much as I wanted him there were plenty that didn't like him in the top 10, many who criticized his accuracy, arm strength ability to hold up in the NFL.  

The people BASHING the pick, they shouldn't stand and wave their hands, it was wrong.  He's a player.  I get it, he's not Mahomes.  A player no one had at 6.  Today some still cant get over that we didnt draft him there.  

On 5/30/2019 at 9:07 AM, Warfish said:

Seems not much makes sense to you tbqh. 

Also, Adams is the best player on the roster?  Lol, ok.

Curious, who played better last year?  

At its absolute worst hes a part of the discussion.  

On 5/30/2019 at 3:35 PM, Villain The Foe said:

ONE interception?  A WHOLE ONE?  In his career????  Amazing! Game changer!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Defensive statistics that are the end all be all on JN.

INTs for a S.  Sacks for a DL in a 3-4.

Amazing is so right

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Um, ok.  

You'd have to ask ol' Crusher, he's the only one here whose ever met me.  I think he thought I was ok, more or less. 

Of course, that might have just been the chicken wings talking....

I have no idea if you'd want to meet me or not.  I tend to think I'm a pretty nice guy generally, but then again I can seperate a person from an opinion on football.

Wait, I'm a Darren Lee apologist now? :-k Sure you don't have me confused with someone else (with my avatar I have no idea how that might be possible, but.....).  

Listen, no stress.  If you want to wank over Adams, again mate, be my guest.  I've said all along he is a very good Safety, my view on that hasn't changed one iota.  If that's not good enough for you, you're just going to have to be disappointed.  

Fair enough. 

I wonder if Leo and Jamal switched draft classes how would that affect how the fanbase views them. 

Would Adams be a fan favorite, since there were no QB's that compare to Mahomes or Watson, and certainly not at the position we were drafting. Or would Leo take Adams' spot as the scapegoat for people screaming at the fact that we took Leo over Mahomes/Watson.

44 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

3.5 forced fumbles last year. 

Tied for 11th in the league. 

He’s a box safety, not a center fielder. 

Forced fumbles aren’t important, I guess. 

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I also find it hilarious that you think Sammy Darnold is a better player than Jamal Adams. What is that based on his incredibly awesome numbers of his rookie season?? Listen, I like Sam as much as anyone. I'm as confident he'll become, EVENTUALLY, a franchise QB as anyone. Right now in the face of objective fact, he SUCKS. Ryan Fitzpatrick had far superior numbers than Darnolds rookie season. Realize this debate is about Jamal Adams and the last two years he's been on the Jets roster.

And using Mahomes to criticize is 100% hindsight. It's classic Monday morning QBing. 

Except as to Mahomes (and personally as to Watson) it wasn't hindsight; many of us knew that taking any safety over those guys was IMBECILIC. And we said so that very day. 

• Upvote 1