[Tony Pauline] Joe Douglas Done Deal

24 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

I've got a feeling that Johnson and Gase are at an impasse. I can see Gase trying to persuade Johnson with Douglas, while Johnson is leaning towards one of the other candidates. It should be Johnson's decision and his alone.

Really good point. Definitely within the realm of possibility

27 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

I've got a feeling that Johnson and Gase are at an impasse. I can see Gase trying to persuade Johnson with Douglas, while Johnson is leaning towards one of the other candidates. It should be Johnson's decision and his alone.

Possibly, they're looking at 4 candidates? There is no need to be hasty, plenty of time.

18 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Longer this goes the less chances of being Joe Douglas. Done deal my ass.

I don't buy that reasoning. If this was in January, and multiple teams were vying for the top available GMs, I would agree, but no other team is looking for a GM so the Jets aren't in a rush. The interviews were just completed. Let's give them a couple of days before we start jumping to conclusions, one way or the other. 

42 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

The interviews just finished yesterday, why would you assume there is already an impasse?

Either way, when  you have multiple people involved in a process you will likely have multiple opinions. Nothing out of the ordinary about that. Pesronally, I trust Adam Gase's opinion on the candidates (or even Gregg Williams) than Woody Johnson or Chris Johnson or any other owner that never played football or coached a team. 

50 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

No, it shouldn't. 

Chris Johnson is a novice owner. He doesn't know anything about hiring football executives. His brother owned the team a lot longer than CJ has been acting owner now when he brought in the likes of Korn-Ferry and Charley Casserly to make recommendations for GM hires in the past, understanding that he didn't know what he was doing. CJ doesn't know any better. Chris opted to do it in this backwards way where instead of cleaning house, he hired a new head coach and let his GM linger and do the job for a few months before changing course and firing him, too. He's put his trust in Adam Gase as head coach, and now he has to put more weight behind Gase's opinion on the GM matter than any other factor. His goal should be to have the front office running like a well-oiled machine, and that doesn't happen if he hires the guy Gase doesn't like. If there was any truth to the reporting around the draft, Gase has demonstrated the passive-aggressive, spoiled-brat way in which he'll behave if he's not on board with the new GM. Even if it's Gase saying, "I can work with this guy or this guy," and then CJ picks between those two guys. That's fine. If Gase is saying, "this one guy is head and shoulders above the rest," that's the guy CJ should hire. They've got to bring an end to the bet-hedging shotgun weddings around here. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The interviews just finished yesterday, why would you assume there is already an impasse?

Because when Chris and Maccagnan got together to hire a coach it was a world-historical cluster****, and there’s no reason to think Chris and Gase getting together to hire a GM will go any differently.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

No, it shouldn't. 

Chris Johnson is a novice owner. He doesn't know anything about hiring football executives. His brother owned the team a lot longer than CJ has been acting owner now when he brought in the likes of Korn-Ferry and Charley Casserly to make recommendations for GM hires in the past, understanding that he didn't know what he was doing. CJ doesn't know any better. Chris opted to do it in this backwards way where instead of cleaning house, he hired a new head coach and let his GM linger and do the job for a few months before changing course and firing him, too. He's put his trust in Adam Gase as head coach, and now he has to put more weight behind Gase's opinion on the GM matter than any other factor. His goal should be to have the front office running like a well-oiled machine, and that doesn't happen if he hires the guy Gase doesn't like. If there was any truth to the reporting around the draft, Gase has demonstrated the passive-aggressive, spoiled-brat way in which he'll behave if he's not on board with the new GM. Even if it's Gase saying, "I can work with this guy or this guy," and then CJ picks between those two guys. That's fine. If Gase is saying, "this one guy is head and shoulders above the rest," that's the guy CJ should hire. They've got to bring an end to the bet-hedging shotgun weddings around here. 

Also known as "the Lebron"

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Because when Chris and Maccagnan got together to hire a coach it was a world-historical cluster****, and there’s no reason to think Chris and Gase getting together to hire a GM will go any differently.

At least they were smart enough not to hire McCarthy.