Coach Gase speaks to the media prior to Day 1 of mandatory minicamp.

• Opens up regarding the GM talk, only thing he will say is he was involved in all 4 interviews but can't say any more out of respect to CJ
  • Will be selective when using Q.Williams due to minor injury
  • Going to be talking with Bell the next few days to see what he can eliminate out of the playbook that Bell is not comfortable with
  • All 15 installs that were implemented during these 15 practices (3 mandatory workouts/12 voluntary workouts) will be coached again Day 1 of training camp. It will start again from install 1
  • Not too much you can see when players are in just a helmet. The most you can take away from is watching practice with the players after practice. After practice you get walk through and extended time with the players 
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is dumbing down/reducing the playbook generally a good thing?

I didn't take it that way. 

I think I watched 2 or 3 of Jeremy Bate's press conferences last year. They are nothing like Gase's. It actually sounds like someone who knows what he is doing play calling wise and has an actual system.

I took it not as him reducing the playbook, but only enhancing it with plays that Bell is going to excel at.

Multiple palyers (Enenwa/Kearse) came out at the end of the year expressing how they were misused with Jeremy Bates. These conversations and training camp is when Gase can mold to his players skill sets. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

its more about removing runs schematically that he doesnt feel comfortable with.  We do it all the time for Wr's and QBs.  If our running backs arent comfortable with an outside zone... why keep running outside zone? its common

I have no problem with focusing play-calling on what your players are best at.

I do have a minor concern with taking plays out of the playbook.  

Maybe I just read it wrong, but at first reading, it did not sound complimentary to me.  /shrug.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Maybe I just read it wrong, but at first reading, it did not sound complimentary to me.  /shrug.

On average, a team assembles 15-20 running plays for a given week.  

sh*t, I only use 2 in madden and I have 100 yards per game ? 

Hb Strectch to the outside / Power O to the inside

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why does the play have to be taken out of the playbook? Maybe there are plays that suit McGuire's running style moreso than Bell's. It's not an all or nothing thing. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You’re reaching way out on this one. No way to interpret what Gase said other than it’s the right way to coach. Put you’re players in positions to succeed.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, shevys said:

Why does the play have to be taken out of the playbook? Maybe there are plays that suit McGuire's running style moreso than Bell's. It's not an all or nothing thing. 

Or why can't other plays that weren't a part of the playbook before Bell be added to it to help Bell be more productive?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

No. But tailoring your playbook to the skill sets and comfort zones of your stars is. I mean, the plays he ran for Frank Gore aren't necessarily the best calls for Le'veon Bell, you know?

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

No. But tailoring your playbook to the skill sets and comfort zones of your stars is. I mean, the plays he ran for Frank Gore aren't necessarily the best calls for Le'veon Bell, you know?

Especially given that we heard for years is that our coaching staffs didn't adjust their schemes to fit the players on the team.  Now it's not a good thing to be flexible enough to fit the players strengths, especially a key player like Bell?  ?