NFL supplemental draft 2019 : here’s what we know so far.. ~ ~ ~

kelly

NFL teams looking to add talent to their depth charts will get another opportunity to spend draft picks on immediate contributors in July.The league’s annual supplemental draft will provide front offices with the chance to bring in additional prospects for training camp.Unlike in April’s NFL Draft, the supplemental selection process will only feature a few prospects. Those prospects have left their college programs following the initial pre-draft process.While the supplemental draft is typically an under-the-radar event, some prospects can turn into legitimate star players. Since 1985, eight supplemental draft picks have been voted to the Pro Bowl. Wide receiver Cris Carter, a supplemental draft pick of the Eagles in 1987, was voted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2013.

Here’s how the supplemental draft works:

Teams will have the opportunity to bid on players using 2020 NFL Draft picks. The order of the draft is the same as April’s selections process. For instance, the Arizona Cardinals, who owned the No. 1 pick in April, will have the highest pick in each round. The teams will be able to bid in each round.If a team enters a bid of a fourth-round pick, the team will lose that selection in next year’s draft. If two teams use a bid in the same round, the team with the higher priority will be awarded the player and the lower priority team will retain their pick for next year.Like in the regular draft, there are seven rounds. If a team has already traded away a pick, they cannot bid on a player with that round’s pick. For instance, if a team traded away their fifth-round pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, they will not be included in the bid for supplemental players in the the fifth round.

Here are the players who have entered the supplemental draft process:

Marcus Simms, WR, West Virginia (according to Tony Pauline of NFL Draft Scout)

Notes on Simms:

- 6-0, 194 lbs.

- 87 catches for 1,457 (16.7 YPC) and eight touchdowns in three seasons.

- 41 kickoff returns for 992 yards (24.2 YPR), 23 punt returns for 157 yards (6.8 YPR)

Shyheim Cullen, LB, Syracuse (according to Cullen on Twitter)

Notes on Cullen:

- 6-0, 224 lbs.

- 43 tackles (three for loss), a sack, two pass breakups and two fumble recoveries.

- Cullen was suspended for the spring semester due to his academic standing, according to Syracuse.com. Cullen’s academic standing fell below the requirements of the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics.

When is the supplemental draft?

The supplemental draft has been held on the second Wednesday of July in each of the past two offseasons. If this year’s supplemental draft follows the same timing, the selection process will take place on Wednesday, July 10.Cullen seemed to indicate through his Twitter announcement that July 10 would be the date of the supplemental draft.

Recent History:

Only eight players have been selected in the last 10 supplemental drafts. Of those eight players, only wide receiver Josh Gordon has made the Pro Bowl.

2009: Jeremy Jarmon, DE, Kentucky (Washington Redskins, 3rd Round)

2010: Harvey Unga, FB, BYU (Chicago Bears, 7th Round), Josh Brent, NT, Illinois (Illinois, 7th Round)

2011: Terrelle Pryor, QB, Ohio State (Oakland Raiders, 3rd Round)

2012: Josh Gordon, WR, Baylor (Cleveland Browns, 2nd Round)

2015: Isaiah Battle, OT, Clemson (St. Louis Rams, 5th Round)

2018: Sam Beal, CB, Western Michigan (Giants, 3rd Round), Adonis Alexander, CB, Virginia Tech (Redskins, 6th Round)

>    https://www.nj.com/eagles/2019/06/nfl-supplemental-draft-2019-heres-what-we-know-so-far-2-players-enter-selection-process.html

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Can someone explain the point of the supplemental draft?

Couldn't a team have just signed these guys as free agents after the draft?

I'm sure I'm missing something, just don't know what it is.

No they are part of a college program and they either get in trouble so they get suspended, bad grades, or like Simms... wants to transfer because he wanted to be the #1 option at WVU and I guess decided after starting the transfer process that he wants to go pro rather then transfer for his senior year.

Its normally just that they got in some trouble and they weren't eligible for the college draft or got hurt and decided instead of going back to school that they move into pros... Essentially if you are in college and want to go pro and didn't for whatever reason sign up for the real draft... this is your next option... if you don't get drafted then you can sign as a UDFA... or you have to wait for next years draft I believe...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Taking Rob Moore in the 1st rd in the 1990 Supplemental draft cost us Bret Farve in the next draft because Ron Wolf would have used it on him in 1991. 

We complain about drafting defense now, but I Coslet was insisting on weapnz when they weren't needed.  Obsessed with replacing the retiring Wesley Walker?  The team had Toon, Burkett and Townsell and burned a 2nd on Reggie Rembert who held out.  They had just drafted Terrance Matthis, Tony Martin and Dale Dawkins, but rather than developing anybody they used the supplemental pick on Moore. Forcing those guys out was a mistake.  Moore was fine as a player, but that would have been around #7 overall.  If nothing else, Herman Moore was sitting there for the taking. 

• Sympathy 1

Simms is from down here in Sandy Spring.  Same school as Richie Anderson.  He might get picked.  It will be a later pick, but if he runs well he might have a shot.  He must be awesome, stealing all those targets from Wesco!  Can't see an undersized, non-producing LB from Syracuse generating much interest though.

We complain about drafting defense now, but I Coslet was insisting on weapnz when they weren't needed.  Obsessed with replacing the retiring Wesley Walker?  The team had Toon, Burkett and Townsell and burned a 2nd on Reggie Rembert who held out.  They had just drafted Terrance Matthis, Tony Martin and Dale Dawkins, but rather than developing anybody they used the supplemental pick on Moore. Forcing those guys out was a mistake.  Moore was fine as a player, but that would have been around #7 overall.  If nothing else, Herman Moore was sitting there for the taking. 

Your memory is Rock solid man. I gotta tell ya.

I remember most of this stuff but with certain little details and wrinkles either missing or confused with something else. I’m always impressed with how detailed you remember this stuff. What do you do for a living? Museum curator? lol

Good stuff. Not the jets history of course, just your recollections.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

22 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Your memory is Rock solid man. I gotta tell ya.

I remember most of this stuff but with certain little details and wrinkles either missing or confused with something else. I’m always impressed with how detailed you remember this stuff. What do you do for a living? Museum curator? lol

Good stuff. Not the jets history of course, just your recollections.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Some of it I look up, some of it I remember.  I knew that they drafted Martin and Mathis and I knew that I loved them both while they were still on the Jets.  I liked Dawkins too, but he didn't turn out as a pro.  Mathis was good from the jump and they used him as a punt returner and he had pedestrian numbers.  He went to Atlanta and blew up with a bunch of 1,000 yard seasons and 20 TDs in his 1st couple of years there. 

Martin was a small school QB that I read about and liked in camp.  They cut him and the Dolphins scooped him up.  He was starting games by the following season.  When he left Miami he blew up in San Diego and then Atlanta.  Had 1,000 games for three teams.  The Jets weren't one of them. 

This was certainly an era where the talent evaluators were ahead of the coaches.  Who drafts a QB to play WR and then dumps him in camp? 

1 hour ago, kelly said:

i'm not gay either !... i'm Bi   :Loveheart:

Yeah and your favourite holiday is "steak and BJ day," fave position "doggie," you prefer monster truck rallies to manicures, and you wouldn't be caught dead with an appletini.

Not suspicious at all that you perfectly fit the average virgin loser's stereotype of the type of women real men want.

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah and your favourite holiday is "steak and BJ day," fave position "doggie," you prefer monster truck rallies to manicures, and you wouldn't be caught dead with an appletini.

Not suspicious at all that you perfectly fit the average virgin loser's stereotype of the type of women real men want.

i Luv  YOU  too jg !   :wub:

Sebastian+Pris+and+Batty.jpg

• Haha 1

NFL teams looking to add talent to their depth charts will get another opportunity to spend draft picks on immediate contributors in July.

The league’s annual supplemental draft will provide front offices with the chance to bring in additional prospects for training camp.Unlike in April’s NFL Draft, the supplemental selection process will only feature a few prospects. Those prospects have left their college programs following the initial pre-draft process.

~ ~ Here are the five players who have entered the supplemental draft process:

Bryant Perry, DB, St. Francis (according to Howard Balzer)

Notes on Perry:

- 6-0, 180 lbs.

- 24 tackles and three pass breakups in lone season at St. Francis

Jalen Thompson, S, Washington State (according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media)

Notes on Thompson:

- 6-0, 190 lbs.

- 190 tackles (11.5 for loss), six interceptions, 17 pass breakups and two pass breakups

- Senior Bowl Executive Director Jim Nagy noted on Twitter that he had been scouting Thompson for the annual all-star game. Rapoport reported that Thompson is expected to be selected during the supplemental draft.

Marcus Simms, WR, West Virginia (according to Tony Pauline of NFL Draft Scout)

Notes on Simms:

- 6-0, 194 lbs.

- 87 catches for 1,457 (16.7 YPC) and eight touchdowns in three seasons.

- 41 kickoff returns for 992 yards (24.2 YPR), 23 punt returns for 157 yards (6.8 YPR)

Shyheim Cullen, LB, Syracuse (according to Cullen on Twitter)

Notes on Cullen:

- 6-0, 224 lbs.

- 43 tackles (three for loss), a sack, two pass breakups and two fumble recoveries.

- Cullen was suspended for the spring semester due to his academic standing, according to Syracuse.com. Cullen’s academic standing fell below the requirements of the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics.

Devonaire Clarington, TE, Northland Community College (via Howard Balzer)

Notes on Clarington:

- 6-7, 230 lbs. (per Northland Community College)

- 48 catches for 916 yards and 11 touchdowns at Nortland Community College

- Clarington committed to the University of Texas coming out of high school but he was ruled academically ineligible to play for the school and spent his college career at Blinn Junior College and Northland Community College.

- Clarington will host a workout on July 8 at Miami’s Southridge High School.

* * rest of above article :

>      https://www.nj.com/eagles/2019/07/nfl-supplemental-draft-2019-everything-you-need-to-know-who-could-be-this-years-sam-beal.html

It's coming on Wednesday. Anyone willing to give up a pick for these guys? Can Jalen Thompson play corner? Could Marcus Simms be a guy for the future? Also there's a Cuse LBer in there woooot. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-supplemental-draft-breaking-down-the-two-prospects-that-could-be-selected/

Interesting to note that Douglas and our new director of player personnel, Chad Alexander, took Jared Gaither with a 5th rounder when they were both on the Ravens staff, while our new assistant GM, Rex Hogan, took Harvey Unga with a 7th rounder in 2010. So at the very least, there isn't a major aversion to taking a plunge here with our new staff. 

Interested to see what everyone thinks of these guys. 

~ ~ The NFL supplemental draft typically doesn't have any players selected -- from 2012 to 2017, only Josh Gordon and Isaiah Battle were picked. But cornerbacks Sam Beal and Adonis Alexander were drafted in 2018, and this year, two prospects have a great chance to be selected. 

Let's take a closer look at the top players available in the 2019 iteration of this unique draft. 

Jalen Thompson, S, Washington State

Collegiate career: Thompson committed to Washington State as a three-star recruit by 247 Sports. He made an instant impact in Pullman, playing in 13 games as a freshman in 2016 and totaling 51 tackles with three tackles for loss and seven pass breakups. Good figures. The following year, most of Thompson's numbers jumped. He had 73 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, four interceptions, and recorded a pair of pass breakups. In 2018, Thompson again appeared in 13 games at safety and had 66 takedowns, three tackles behind the line, two picks, and he defended eight passes. 

Scouting report: Good height, smaller-ish frame for the safety position. Athleticism is impressive. Very fluid, non-jagged mover in any direction. Hybrid safety/slot cornerback with experience and effective play in man to man. Quickness is more impressive than his overall speed. Lack of size and strength shows up on occasion against bigger blockers in the run game, but he's a noticeably aggressive, active run defender with solid range. Plus body control, awareness, and ball skills to make game-changing plays in coverage. 

Projected draft range: Rounds 2-3

Marcus Simms, WR, West Virginia

Collegiate career: Simms was a rated as a three-star recruit by 247 Sports and committed to the Mountaineers in 2015. In three games as a freshman, he caught six passes for 95 yards and a score. In 2017, Simms moved into a more prominent role at West Virginia and averaged 18.9 yards per reception with five touchdowns on 35 receptions. He accounted for 16.4 percent of the team's receiving yards. As a junior in 2018, Simms had a 16.5 percent receiving-yard market share with two scores and 46 catches. He averaged 15.2 yards per grab.

Scouting report: At 6-0 and around 195 pounds, Simms has decent size and a somewhat skinny but athletic build. He tracks the football at all levels of the field well and routinely makes hand catches away his frame. A rare bobble occurs. Runs crisp routes and gets out of his breaks in a hurry. Creates adequate separation on short-to-intermediate targets in his direction and has an above-average long speed. His greatest attribute is his yards-after-the-catch ability. Simms seemingly knows his intended path before the catch and gets creative immediately afterward with awesome contact balance, plus quickness, and speed. Relatively rarely taken down at first contact.

Projected draft range: Rounds 3-4

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-supplemental-draft-breaking-down-the-two-prospects-that-could-be-selected/

16 minutes ago, kelly said:

..if Marcus Simms is still on the board in the 7th... i think we should take him   B)

I believe its blind bid... so there is no real rounds to go through... I personally wouldn't give up any draft picks for Simms... He is not going to make it in the NFL... Unless he learns how to run routes, and learns fast... because he was not good in college when he played. 

He is a direct embodiment of David Clowney

Simms and Thompson both ran pretty well and had decent agility times.  Thompson is a bit on the small side and I'm not sure if Williams looks for a FS/slot CB tweener like Honey Badger.  Does anybody have any info on the Devonaire Clarington's pro day?  I doubt I would burn a pick on any of these guys, but it is good to know if they get picked up as UDFA. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Simms and Thompson both ran pretty well and had decent agility times.  Thompson is a bit on the small side and I'm not sure if Williams looks for a FS/slot CB tweener like Honey Badger.  Does anybody have any info on the Devonaire Clarington's pro day?  I doubt I would burn a pick on any of these guys, but it is good to know if they get picked up as UDFA. 

saw this..

Miami native Devonaire Clarington seeks big leap to NFL via supplemental draft

The NFL’s supplemental draft can be something of a summer scramble, with a matter of only weeks between when players announce they’re entering and the draft itself, which takes place Wednesday.
Knowing that, NFL scouts were in Miami on Monday morning, stopwatches in hand, trying to answer one question: Just how good is Devonaire Clarington?

Clarington, 23, is an intriguing research challenge for an NFL scouting department. He has never played a snap of football at any four-year college, but he checks in at 6-foot-7 and 230 pounds and hopes to run a 4.6 in the 40-yard dash. Those numbers might tempt a team to use a late-round 2020 draft pick to secure the tight end’s rights.“I’ve been working hard for this day,” Clarington said Saturday. “All this is happening so fast, but I’m definitely going to slam this pro day.”

Clarington is a well-traveled prospect. He went to three Miami high schools in...

Devonaire Clarington

July 8th, 2019 at 6:56pm CST by Rory Parks

With the 2019 Supplemental Draft scheduled to take place on Wednesday, let’s round up the latest notes on this year’s prospects:

• Washington State safety Jalen Thompson is the most-hyped player in this year’s supplemental class, and he held his workout today. According to Tony Pauline of DraftAnalyst.com, 26 teams were on hand for Thompson’s exhibition, and the Texans sent their director of scouting. The Packers have also reportedly shown a great deal of interest in Thompson, who is expected to be taken in the later rounds of the draft.
  • No one from the Redskins‘ front office was physically in attendance for Thompson’s workout, but as John Keim of ESPN.com tweets, the team was repped by the BLESTO scouting service. The service will provide Washington with video of Thompson’s workout and his medicals.
  • Former University of Texas commit Devonaire Clarington also worked out for NFL teams today, and Greg Auman of The Athletic put together an excellent piece detailing Clarington’s long journey to the doorstep of pro football. Clarington never suited up for the Longhorns due to academic issues, but at 6-7 with good hands and good speed from the tight end position, it’s not inconceivable that a team could take a late-round flier on him. Indeed, Clarington said he has fielded calls from at least 20 teams, including five different members of the Browns‘ staff.
  • We recently heard that former West Virginia wideout Marcus Simms is, like Thompson, likely to be selected.

> https://www.profootballrumors.com/devonaire-clarington

The annual NFL Supplemental Draft is just a few days away.

The selection process will take place on Wednesday. With five entrants in the supplemental class, teams will have some homework to do before the draft gets underway.Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy was an NFL scout for 18 years. He has experienced the scouting process behind the supplemental draft several times, having worked for the Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks during his tenure in the league.NJ Advance Media spoke with Nagy earlier this week to get an idea of what the NFL scouts go through during the time crunch leading up to the secondary selection process.

Below is our brief Q&A with Nagy:

Mike Kaye: When a player declares for the supplemental draft, what is the process like for you as a scout?

Jim Nagy: “You get an email from the [team] office -- with the official list -- once it becomes finalized from the league office. You’ll get an email from your college scouting coordinator. Every scout in the country has his fingers crossed that he doesn’t have a guy from his area on the list. That’s really what starts it off.“Once you get that

• -- you usually only get a couple of weeks -- it’s usually a mad scramble to track down numbers at the school, call the different sources and then the other thing is tape. Some of these schools are so small that the NFL dub center doesn’t even have tape from that particular school. So, you’re having to go to the school and get their Hudl account and there’s a lot of hoops to jump through in a short period of time.”

How do the supplemental draft workouts differ from the pro days during the regular draft process?

Nagy: "They don’t differ too much, other than that there’s only the one player working out. What can happen is the kid can -- it’s always interesting to see what type of shape these guys show up in. Usually, they are [dealing with] some sort of eligibility issue, [so] they weren’t really planning on being in the supplemental draft but they ended up there, so a lot of times they’re not in great shape and they’re the only ones working out, so when you’re putting them through the actual workout phase, the position drills, it can be difficult because they get gassed pretty quick.“It basically functions like a normal pro day. They’ll have to do the Wonderlic and a lot of the psychological testing that you would have done at another part of the process in the spring. They’ll have to do that that day as well. It usually takes about a half of a day to get all of that paperwork done.”

During the actual supplemental draft, what happens behind-the-scenes with front offices and scouts?

Nagy: "I can’t really tell you what it’s like in the office because I’ve never been there [during the supplemental draft]. I’ve always been the one out on the road. There’s only been a handful of guys that I’ve given draftable grades to for the supplemental. So like, Josh Gordon and Isaiah Battle from Clemson a few years ago."Again, you’re with your family [during the break], so you file your report and you get back to your family and try to be present for your family. There wasn’t a lot of handwringing on whether your team picked [a player] or not.“But how the mechanics work in the office -- the GM is usually gone too -- everyone’s gone. How that all comes together by team is probably really specific to each group. Because again, the college scouting coordinator and the college scouting director and the GM are all going to be in different places. They’re all going to be in different locations.”

>    https://www.nj.com/eagles/2019/07/nfl-supplemental-draft-2019-longtime-scout-discusses-what-happens-before-selection-process-qa.html

Get your supplemental mock drafts in while there is still time.

The 2019 NFL Supplemental Draft will take place Wednesday via email at 1 p.m. ET, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported.

Five players are eligible to be selected in this year's annual summer draft: Washington State DB Jalen Thompson, West Virginia WR Marcus Simms, Syracuse LB Shyheim Cullen, Northland (Minn.) TE Devonaire Clarington, St. Francis DB Bryant Perry. Thompson and Simms are the only two anticipated to be selected with mid-to-late-round picks.      

Former Washington State DB Jalen Thompson visited the #Packers today and took a physical, the results of which will be shared with the other 31 teams, his agent, Brad Cicala, told me. Thompson is one of five prospects eligible for tomorrow's supplemental draft.

Each team bids on a player or players using next year's picks as currency by sending an email to the league declaring what round they would use on said player. The team that lists the highest round wins. If two teams bid the same draft round, then the league uses a three-tiered system based on wins and losses of the previous season to settle the winner.Teams are broken into three groups: those with six or fewer wins; non-playoff teams with more than six wins; 12 playoff teams. From there, a lottery determines each round order, with the teams earning fewer wins generating a greater chance for the higher pick.

Any player not selected will become a free agent available to sign with any of the 32 clubs.Last year saw two players selected in the supplemental draft: CB Sam Beal by the New York Giants in the third round and CB Adonis Alexander by the Washington Redskins in the sixth round. The previous two years, no players were selected. Famously, Josh Gordon was picked by the Cleveland Browns in the second round in 2012, and Terrelle Pryor was snatched by the Oakland Raiders in the 2011 third round.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001035354/article/2019-nfl-supplemental-draft-to-take-place-wednesday