So, our kicker ...

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Matt Bryant doesn't kick off.  **** that old ****er.

Yes, he has a big leg and tries plenty of long kicks, but his extra point percentage is sub 90% which is not very good.  Career wise, he is worse than Catanzaro on extra points.  Myers was below Catanzaro's career average on extra points last year. Catanzaro is presumably done here, but I don't see any reason to dump him until somebody they like shakes loose.  They are kickers.  The Jets will find one and he will be fine. 

Meh. 2 point tries are statistically superior anyways. You're likely to convert over 50% of them. 

6 hours ago, k-met57 said:

isnt there a new rule that teams dont have to cut anyone till after week 3 of preseason? thats going to hurt in finding a cut kicker 

Why would that hurt us?  We can bring in a camp body or 2 to see what they can do, then wait until cutdowns.  As long as we have a Kicker we feel good about by Week 1, I don't think it matters much.

7 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Meh. 2 point tries are statistically superior anyways. You're likely to convert over 50% of them. 

Eh.  Actually, it is under 48%.  Remember that if you go for two every time, you will using up your goal line plays.  You are going to be much less likely to fool a team in the fourth quarter.

The argument is fairly meaningless to the point I was making, which is that claiming Myers only misses from 50 out is false and misleading.  The Jets were 27th in the league in extra point percentage.  Extra points equate to 33 yard field goals, and he was bottom of the barrel.  FWIW, in 2017 Catanzaro was 29 for 29. 

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m extremely tired of hearing about Jason Meyers. 

Last year will remain the best year of his entire career until the day he retires. He was never as good as he was last year. It was an outlier year. It was an aberration. It was fools gold. It was 2015 Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Just go sign a guy who’s consistently been one of the best for years and that’s Matt Bryant. Guy was knocking em down when I was in 7th grade lmao.(currently 23) he’s been great for awhile now and it beats what we’ve had. 95% kicking last year is nothing to sneeze at.

Agreed.  The mistake wasn't letting Myers go.  The mistake was thinking Chandler Catanzaro would solidly be "the guy", as evidenced by not even bringing in camp competition as a 2nd leg.  The Ravens have Justin freaking Tucker, probably the best Kicker in the NFL, and still brought in competition, and they might well net a draft pick out of their backup Kicker. 

But that's an easily fixable problem in the coming weeks.  The Kicker carousel will come through for us. 

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Matt Bryant doesn't kick off.  **** that old ****er.

Can't Lac Edwards handle that duty if needed?

As long as he still has the leg to hit 50+ yard FG's when needed, he has enough leg.  Since 2016 he's 18/22 (82 %) from 50+ with makes from 59, 57 and 57 in that span. 

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why would that hurt us?  We can bring in a camp body or 2 to see what they can do, then wait until cutdowns.  As long as we have a Kicker we feel good about by Week 1, I don't think it matters much.

so you go on about your preseason basically banking on one of a few kickers to become available after the third preseason game? and what if the guys you like don't become available or want to sign elsewhere? you shouldn't be a financial planner... :) 

you want to lock in your team as soon as possible as opposed to maybe right before season starts.

The Jets have been lucky with kickers in recent years but they have also not been playing meaningful games.  This is the first year a K will have some pressure in a while.  Maybe Chandler is feeling it?  It's still early though and I'm sure Douglas will be looking around.

20 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

so you go on about your preseason basically banking on one of a few kickers to become available after the third preseason game? and what if the guys you like don't become available or want to sign elsewhere? you shouldn't be a financial planner... :) 

you want to lock in your team as soon as possible as opposed to maybe right before season starts.

Umm, we know Catanzaro sucks, and lots of Kickers will likely do better than him, so the "opportunity cost" is low.  And there are plenty of Free Agent Kickers I listed we can pick up in the meantime if we don't end up finding one off the cut scrap heap that we like.

My recommendation is picking up Matt Bryant and/or a young available Kicker now (College UDFA types) for practice competition and then seeing who comes available after Week 3.   I'm NOT advocating waiting until Preseason Week 3 to completely resolve our Kicking situation. 

17 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The Jets have been lucky with kickers in recent years but they have also not been playing meaningful games.  This is the first year a K will have some pressure in a while.  Maybe Chandler is feeling it?  It's still early though and I'm sure Douglas will be looking around.

Chandler is feeling it?  There literally could not be less pressure on the guy.  He is the only kicker in camp.  Fatigue from handling all the kicking duties is a more likely lame excuse.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Chandler is feeling it?  There literally could not be less pressure on the guy.  He is the only kicker in camp.  Fatigue from handling all the kicking duties is a more likely lame excuse.

We have expectations, games will be big.  That's very different than when he was here last and very different for our other kickers in recent years.  

Whether a K is the only guy in camp or not is meaningless, Ks are the most expendable position and they are always kicking for a job unless they are one of the top guys.  

22 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

We have expectations, games will be big.  That's very different than when he was here last and very different for our other kickers in recent years.  

Whether a K is the only guy in camp or not is meaningless, Ks are the most expendable position and they are always kicking for a job unless they are one of the top guys.  

That is true, so why is he suddenly "feeling it?"  

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m extremely tired of hearing about Jason Meyers. 

Last year will remain the best year of his entire career until the day he retires. He was never as good as he was last year. It was an outlier year. It was an aberration. It was fools gold. It was 2015 Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Just go sign a guy who’s consistently been one of the best for years and that’s Matt Bryant. Guy was knocking em down when I was in 7th grade lmao.(currently 23) he’s been great for awhile now and it beats what we’ve had. 95% kicking last year is nothing to sneeze at.

So?  Myers >>>> Catanzaro

It’s not even close and it’s not like Myers was great

16 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I firmly believe that the Jets should bring in competition for Catanzaro. However, please remember he gave us a very good season in 2017. 

Nick Folk gave us several good seasons but has now been out of the NFL for 2+ seasons despite being a relatively young 34. 

When Kickers stop being effective, you move on to someone else.  It's unlikely they'll recapture any prior "magic" down the road.  Especially since there's ALWAYS Kickers available, given that generally only 32 get rostered and there's always more than 32 decent kickers in the world at any given time. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

The same Cody Parkey who went 70% on his kicks last season? Lol

Better than Cannazarro thats not bad for Soldier Field outdoors in the elements 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Unless I missed something, Lambo is still on the Jaguars. 

Yes you correct