So, our kicker ...

I’m extremely tired of hearing about Jason Meyers. 

Last year will remain the best year of his entire career until the day he retires. He was never as good as he was last year. It was an outlier year. It was an aberration. It was fools gold. It was 2015 Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Just go sign a guy who’s consistently been one of the best for years and that’s Matt Bryant. Guy was knocking em down when I was in 7th grade lmao.(currently 23) he’s been great for awhile now and it beats what we’ve had. 95% kicking last year is nothing to sneeze at.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Last year will remain the best year of his entire career until the day he retires. He was never as good as he was last year. It was an outlier year. It was an aberration. It was fools gold. It was 2015 Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Just go sign a guy who’s consistently been one of the best for years and that’s Matt Bryant. Guy was knocking em down when I was in 7th grade lmao.(currently 23) he’s been great for awhile now and it beats what we’ve had. 95% kicking last year is nothing to sneeze at.

I suggest you go back and look at the film. Jason Myers was always a good kicker. His percentages weren't the greatest because a ton of his kicks were 50+ yarders (of which he's been the best). He's money from anything inside that. 

Omgzzz, he missed like 6 kicks one year in Jax! Yeah, like 4 of those were from 53+.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

With the Douglas/Ravens connection, wouldn't surprise me at all.

3 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I suggest you go back and look at the film. Jason Myers was always a good kicker. His percentages weren't the greatest because a ton of his kicks were 50+ yarders (of which he's been the best). He's money from anything inside that. 

Omgzzz, he missed like 6 kicks one year in Jax! Yeah, like 4 of those were from 53+.

They cut him in Seattle for being god awful. Stop that nonsense. He’s never been as good as he was last year and he’ll never be again. You wanna sit here and tell me he’s been good his whole career, yet he’s bounced around from team to team? Good kickers don’t get let go that early into their careers. Go ask Stephen Gostkowski or Adam Vinatieri. Jason Meyers kicked 73.3% in 2017 and 79.4% in 2016. That isn’t good. He also missed XP’s last year on what felt like a consistent basis because XP kicks shouldn’t be getting hooked to the right and missing like that.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Went back to confirm some of the stats. Tons of his misses were like 54 yards, 55, 61. Late game desperation kicks. A couple short misses here and there, but it happens. 

Oh wow, he missed kicks from the 50’s? I guess that changes everything. No kicker should be asked to make a kick from the 50’s and if he does and misses then we can write it off because, I mean, it’s from the 50’s clearly.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

They cut him in Seattle for being god awful. Stop that nonsense. He’s never been as good as he was last year and he’ll never be again. You wanna sit here and tell me he’s been good his whole career, yet he’s bounced around from team to team? Good kickers don’t get let go that early into their careers. Go ask Stephen Gostkowski or Adam Vinatieri. Jason Meyers kicked 73.3% in 2017 and 79.4% in 2016. That isn’t good. He also missed XP’s last year on what felt like a consistent basis because XP kicks shouldn’t be getting hooked to the right and missing like that.

Again, go back and look. Percentages don't tell you the whole story. Most of his misses were 50+, where he also had some of the best percentages. His total percentage is low because he has a disproportionate amount of long kicks (because he's that good at them). 

No excuse for the PATs, though. 

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Oh wow, he missed kicks from the 50’s? I guess that changes everything. No kicker should be asked to make a kick from the 50’s and if he does and misses then we can write it off because, I mean, it’s from the 50’s clearly.

Show me a list of kickers that attempted 12 from 50+, and had a higher percentage than him. 

Just now, PCP63 said:

Again, go back and look. Percentages don't tell you the whole story. Most of his misses were 50+, where he also had some of the best percentages. His total percentage is low because he has a disproportionate amount of long kicks (because he's that good at them). 

No excuse for the PATs, though. 

What about 2016? (76.4%) I’m also still not understanding why we are giving a pass to a kicker missing from the 50’s. Plenty of kickers make those. It’s their one and only job. Cat has even made them.

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

What about 2016? (76.4%) I’m also still not understanding why we are giving a pass to a kicker missing from the 50’s. Plenty of kickers make those. It’s their one and only job. Cat has even made them.

Look at the stats that year. Only Bryant, Prater, and Tucker had him beat on long kicks. But he kicked a disproportionate amount of 50+, so his percentage sunk. He still went 7/12 on 50+, with quite a few being 53+, which was better than the other 28 kickers. 

If the other 28 kickers had 12 attempts from 50+, he'd have one of the highest percentages. 

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

These guys were third rounders, the Sapp travesty occurred in the top 10 of the first round. Also New England won something like 31-3, I’m sure Winovich had plenty of opportunities for a sack.

Not saying Polite was the right pick, but we need more than 1 preseason game to come to a conclusion.

No we don't. We're Jet fans. 1 pre season game is enough to draw conclusions. Let's brand Polite an absolute bust and impolitely move on. lol

3 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Look at the stats that year. Only Bryant, Prater, and Tucker had him beat on long kicks. But he kicked a disproportionate amount of 50+, so his percentage sunk. He still went 7/12 on 50+, with quite a few being 53+, which was better than the other 28 kickers. 

So why is in his 5th year is he on his 3rd team?

whatever the excuse may be, he was never playing up to his All-Pro status this year and they did the right thing by letting him walk. They just replaced him with a guy who had just got done sh*tting the bed in Tampa.

I am on board with wanting Jason Myers back just not at 4 million a year. I don't see it as the jets "cheaping out". Assuming we bring in one of these veteran kickers any day now, I don't think the drop off will be significant if Jason Myers were in there from that veteran kicker. Sure you cant attempt as many 50+ yard kicks as if Myers were in, lets hope we don't have to even do that this year. 

Bring in a guy who can consistently hit PAT's and 40 yard kicks. Pay him 1 million per year, the drop off from Myers to that kicker shouldn't be huge if used correctly.

Saving 3 million with walking from Myers and another 3 million from Roberts is a smart move. Replacing them with Chandler Catanzaro not so much.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

So why is in his 5th year is he on his 3rd team?

whatever the excuse may be, he was never playing up to his All-Pro status this year and they did the right thing by letting him walk. They just replaced him with a guy who had just got down sh*tting the bed in Tampa.

He has always played at that level. And good kickers get kicked around all the time. Now, transcendental kickers, like Jankowski, don't. Myers isn't transcendental, but he's very good. 

8 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

I am on board with wanting Jason Myers back just not at 4 million a year. I don't see it as the jets "cheaping out". Assuming we bring in one of these veteran kickers any day now, I don't think the drop off will be significant if Jason Myers were in there from that veteran kicker. Sure you cant attempt as many 50+ yard kicks as if Myers were in, lets hope we don't have to even do that this year. 

Bring in a guy who can consistently hit PAT's and 40 yard kicks. Pay him 1 million per year, the drop off from Myers to that kicker shouldn't be huge if used correctly.

Saving 3 million with walking from Myers and another 3 million from Roberts is a smart move. Replacing them with Chandler Catanzaro not so much.

Maybe the plan is to convert all of our 3rd downs so we don't need FGs?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Maybe the plan is to convert all of our 3rd downs so we don't need FGs?

That plan sounds insane to me lol 

Would be cool to see a coach come in the league and just say **** it, anything 4th and 5 and under and we are going for it and live or die by that. 

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

3 years says he’s bad. 1 says he’s good.

I’ll take the former.

You're simply wrong. Again, look at the stats. Show me kickers with a higher percentage with a high number of 50+ attempts. There are only a few. In 2016, only the 3 I mentioned had him beat. In 2017, only a few more, except those guys missed a ton from 40-49.

4 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

That plan sounds insane to me lol 

Would be cool to see a coach come in the league and just say **** it, anything 4th and 5 and under and we are going for it and live or die by that. 

As things stand right now, I'd go for it on 4th and short from any spot where we'd be kicking a 40+ yard FG.  However, I do not like HAVING to make that choice because of FG kicker can't see the goalposts.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, k-met57 said:

isnt there a new rule that teams dont have to cut anyone till after week 3 of preseason? thats going to hurt in finding a cut kicker

The new rule is they eliminated the first cut down to 75 players prior to the 4th preseason game. Now there is only one huge cutdown date:

Aug. 31 Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.

6 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

You're simply wrong. Again, look at the stats. Show me kickers with a higher percentage with a high number of 50+ attempts. There are only a few. In 2016, only the 3 I mentioned had him beat. In 2017, only a few more, except those guys missed a ton from 40-49.

I just feel like you’re isolating the 50 yarders to make a point but it doesn’t really work out the way you want it to because he’s been bad in plenty of other areas as well. 

That is why the 50 yard % you are trying to breakdown and make a point out of really doesn’t work. Not because of anything else any other kicker did.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

I just feel like you’re isolating the 50 yarders to make a point but it doesn’t really work out the way you want it to because he’s been bad in plenty of other areas as well. 

That is why the 50 yard % you are trying to breakdown and make a point out of, really doesn’t work.

Nope, he's only been bad at extra points, not any other areas. Solid from 0-50+, and the stats show it. Let me give you a hypothetical situation (with exaggeration to make a point):

Say that a kicker only makes 22/30 attempted field goals, but fourteen of those are 60+ yards, of which he makes 8. Is that kicker terrible? 

http://theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/77606/Ravens-kicker-Kaare-Vedvik-ignoring-buzz-of-trade-talk

In March, Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh was asked what he'd like to see out of backup kicker Kaare Vedvik. Harbaugh responded: For him to "kick well enough for us to trade him. That's kind of, I would say, the goal."  Vedvik took a giant step toward that goal on Thursday night, Kevin Patra of NFL.com reports.

Vedvik connected on 4-of-4 field-goal attempts, including a 55-yard boot, in Thursday's blowout, a 29-0 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. The 25-year-old also nailed two PATs, and added two punts that averaged 55.5 yards.

The dual-threat kicker/punter would be in line for a roster spot on most teams. Baltimore, however, boasts Justin Tucker -- arguably the most talented kicker in NFL history -- and Sam Koch. The spots aren't up for grabs.

Vedvik is auditioning for the other 31 teams. The first audition went exceedingly well, but the booter insists he isn't worried about potential trade destinations.

"I don't really ever think about that," Vedvik said, via ESPN. "I'm focused on playing the game. That's it. Teams that are interested, they talk to coach, the head honcho. I'm just going to play the game."

The Chicago Bears will undoubtedly be the top team linked to any potential trade rumors. The Bears have Elliot Fry and Eddy Pineiro battling for the job currently. Both are unproven.

Vedvik too is unproven outside of preseason action. Last year he seemed to be on pace to land a roster spot somewhere but was assaulted in Baltimore and was hospitalized last September. 

"It was a different emotional load to it, given everything that happened," Vedvik said. "It was something I've always done for fun, but this time it had deeper importance to it. I had to prove something to myself."

5 hours ago, k-met57 said:

isnt there a new rule that teams dont have to cut anyone till after week 3 of preseason? thats going to hurt in finding a cut kicker

Well there is that new rule that the games don't count until week 4 of the preseason at least.

That should help.

That's how we got our kicker Aug 20th last year.

• Upvote 1

Almost all kickers are streaky. Don't go into a season with a slumping kicker. 

That doesn't mean that signing Cat was a dumb move. He's in the middle of a super cold streak. We can even tell him to stay by the phone.

The good news is that kicking isn't a team sport. They can be kicking for other teams right now but still be ready to kick for us in an hour.

We will sign a couple guys that lost competitions elsewhere and let them compete in game 4.

Sign the winner of the mini kick off, and...Bob's your uncle...or your aunt or something. 

Last year at this time, Jason Myers was a Seahawk.  He was cut on 8/20 and we signed him on the 21st.  Good chance that our kicker is not on our roster yet.  If Cat doesn't turn it around in the next week or two, we will probably have someone else by the end of the month.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Matt Bryant doesn't kick off.  **** that old ****er.

2 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Yes, he has a big leg and tries plenty of long kicks, but his extra point percentage is sub 90% which is not very good.  Career wise, he is worse than Catanzaro on extra points.  Myers was below Catanzaro's career average on extra points last year. Catanzaro is presumably done here, but I don't see any reason to dump him until somebody they like shakes loose.  They are kickers.  The Jets will find one and he will be fine.