McNabb continues feud with Terrell Owens

faba

McNabb finally fires back at T.O.

Thursday, February 2, 2006

By DON BENEVENTO

Courier-Post Staff

It was a long time coming, but Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb finally answered the barrage of criticism he took from teammate Terrell Owens.

He shared his own views Wednesday of what went wrong with the 6-10 team last season in an ESPN interview.

McNabb said the 2005 season was "frustrating and disturbing" and he revealed his relationship with Owens was fractured earlier than previously known.

He also said that the final straw for him was Owens' statement that the Eagles would have had a better record had Brett Favre been their quarterback.

McNabb said he was offended by that comparison.

"It was definitely a slap in the face to me," he said. "Because as deep as people won't go into it, it was a black-on-black crime. To say if we had Brett Favre, that could mean that if you had another quarterback of a different descent or ethnic background, we could be winning."

McNabb said the feud between himself and Owens actually began in Week 12 of the 2004 season at the end of an otherwise innocuous play against the Giants.

McNabb described a scenario on the third play of that game when Owens came open after McNabb had thrown an incomplete pass to Brian Westbrook.

"He came back, "Hey, I was open, throw the ball!' McNabb said. "Me being into the game, (I said) "Hey, get in the huddle man.' In different words, obviously. He continued to talk about how he was open, throw the ball. And it (led) to me using some language that's really not suitable for the kids."

The feud became public after the Super Bowl.

Near the end of the Eagles' loss against the Patriots, the offense did not operate with the usual urgency of a team that is trailing. Not long after, Owens said, "I'm not the one who got tired in the Super Bowl," a clear jab at McNabb. For the record, McNabb said he did not tire.

I'm not a TO fan by no means, but I don't think TO brought up Brett Favre in the context that McNabb is making it out to be. I could be wrong, but I just think that TO mentioned Favre because he feels McNabb just isn't on that same plateau...Favre could have been pink in this I believe.

I'm not a TO fan by no means, but I don't think TO brought up Brett Favre in the context that McNabb is making it out to be. I could be wrong, but I just think that TO mentioned Favre because he feels McNabb just isn't on that same plateau...Favre could have been pink in this I believe.

First of all DM is a jackass

1) TO did not bring up Favreeeeeeee, the reporter did and TO just agreed with him. I believe it went this way Reporter- M Irvin stated Iggles would be doing better with Favre at QB, do you agree? TO - " I agree with that statement....

This was not a black vs white issue! DM is an arrogant ahole who BTW choked in the SB. If he would have played as well as TO they would have won!

dm should have said that they would have been better off if marvin harrison was the WR. or if he wants to get racial, ed mccafrey

what a retard

He could have said Wayne Chrebet. But then nobody would have believed him.

1) McNabb was either out of shape (for an NFL QB) or was having a panic attack in last years SB. I found his performance in those last moments embarrassing.

2) T.O. is a self-absorbed arse, but NO WAY was that Favre comment racial....and I doubt Irvin's intention was to lead to a "black on black" crime.

3) Eagles should suck for years to come.

McNabb is going to lose his lockeroom.

He already is on thin ice with them and this might tip the scales. He is preceived as overly sensitive, and quick to point a finger.

Not a good combination to have if you are in a position of leadership.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, and what Reid does to focus his team.

Not only is McNabb an *******, but he is also doing this on the week of the biggest game of the season. Why bring up negative information during the week of the Super Bowl? It does a disservice to the league and the 106 guys that are playing Sunday. Eat your chunky soup and shut the **** up!

McNabb is such a puss. The whole time TO was on the team, McNabb refused to talk about him and answer any questions. Now that TO is definately gone, McNabb starts telling his side of the story and tries to look like the good guy. McNabb doesn't have the balls to say anything to TO's face. Atleast TO was man enough to call out McNabb while he was there.

McNabb is going to lose his lockeroom.

He already is on thin ice with them and this might tip the scales. He is preceived as overly sensitive, and quick to point a finger.

Not a good combination to have if you are in a position of leadership.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, and what Reid does to focus his team.

I completely disagree.

McNabb, before TO arrived, did everything to get his team's respect.

Three NFC championship appearances, with bums at wr.

Playing on a broken fibula and having arguably, the best game of his career.

Keeping silent while this outsider, made an ass of himself, shows his selfishness, and talked about the man's family, while also airing the team's dirty laundry to the media and millions of people.

TO was completely classless and imho, did everything in his power to lose the respect of his teammates. He crossed the line and broke several taboos.

Should I also bring up the fight in the lockerrom, the one in which TO openly challenged Hugh Douglass and all takers?

McNabb was well within his right to speak up and basically beat TO's ass, but no he didn't. He showed extreme restraint and professionalism in not saying anything, simply taking one for the team, in an attempt to keep the chemistry of the team solid. He was the good soldier.

McNabb was the one who walked away from TO, when he acted like a bitch on the sidelines, begging for the football. McNabb was the one who showed class.

Now he losing respect from his teammates?

WTF?!?

Again, I failt o see how McNabb lost anything, much less respect from his team. That, to me, is bull****. I don't buy it.

McNabb gets credit from me for keeping quiet for so long. Some question why now? Why speak about this during the Superbowl.

The same people that give TO a pass, because a reporter happened to ask him about Favre, should give McNabb that ame damn pass. How long could you hold off without saying something?

Ownes is an ass and McNabb should be applauded for speaking. We get angry when athletes or people in the public eye provide a PC answer or staement. This is a man that stewed, and stayed silent for so long and when faced with a question, felt it necessary to provide the truth.

Now people dog him.

WTF?!?

Want to give him a rough time for the black on black stuff? I can understand that. Don't give him grief for finally speaking out.

I completely disagree.

McNabb, before TO arrived, did everything to get his team's respect.

Three NFC championship appearances, with bums at wr.

Playing on a broken fibula and having arguably, the best game of his career.

Keeping silent while this outsider, made an ass of himself, shows his selfishness, and talked about the man's family, while also airing the team's dirty laundry to the media and millions of people.

TO was completely classless and imho, did everything in his power to lose the respect of his teammates. He crossed the line and broke several taboos.

Should I also bring up the fight in the lockerrom, the one in which TO openly challenged Hugh Douglass and all takers?

McNabb was well within his right to speak up and basically beat TO's ass, but no he didn't. He showed extreme restraint and professionalism in not saying anything, simply taking one for the team, in an attempt to keep the chemistry of the team solid. He was the good soldier.

McNabb was the one who walked away from TO, when he acted like a bitch on the sidelines, begging for the football. McNabb was the one who showed class.

Now he losing respect from his teammates?

WTF?!?

Again, I failt o see how McNabb lost anything, much less respect from his team. That, to me, is bull****. I don't buy it.

McNabb gets credit from me for keeping quiet for so long. Some question why now? Why speak about this during the Superbowl.

The same people that give TO a pass, because a reporter happened to ask him about Favre, should give McNabb that ame damn pass. How long could you hold off without saying something?

Ownes is an ass and McNabb should be applauded for speaking. We get angry when athletes or people in the public eye provide a PC answer or staement. This is a man that stewed, and stayed silent for so long and when faced with a question, felt it necessary to provide the truth.

Now people dog him.

WTF?!?

Want to give him a rough time for the black on black stuff? I can understand that. Don't give him grief for finally speaking out.

It is funny to me that Hugh Douglas, TO's challenger in locker room fight, has come out and verbally attacked DM

We know TO is an arse off the field, On the field this dude lights it up.

MIamijet- Who choked in SB DM or TO??? TO was a hired gun, iggles knew what they were getting and guess what they got there.

McNabb comes out looking like the jerk because he had months to come out with a statement and when he does, it is factually incorrect. TO did not bring Favre's name up, the reporter did. The comparison was QB vs QB, not black vs white. McNabb goes from taking the high road to looking like a friggin jackass by opening his mouth and playing the race card.

The Eagles have coddled, sheltered and tried to hide McNabb from conflict while he has been an Eagle. His other teammates have witnessed this and it has created a sense of resentment in teh lockerroom. There has always been the Donovan standard with the FO , and then evreyone else.

They partly have done this because McNabb is very sensitive to criticism and how people perceive this. On WIP (local Philly sports radio) yesterday they had Douglas on and teh story came out how Donovan went to the FO and complained that when he entered teh lockerroom, all converstaions stopped, as if he was the topic.

That is how sensitve this guy is, and it is how his teammates perceive him. They made the good analogy between and another former Philly Soprts star-Eric Lindros. The parallels are there.

Hey I can make fat jokes, I am part of that group myself!!

Nice win by the heels...this is the time of year when they count the most

ya, i think that win last night will count for alot of RPI points come tourney selection time.

I was more impressed by them winning after Tyler went out with 4 fouls, 11 minutes to go and the score tied.

Yeah it was a big win. Maryland was undefeated at home this season until last night.

The thing that worries me most is our problem with turnovers. We have been able to survive a few games with alot of turnovers but down the stretch it won't happen. You can't expect to stay in a game against a team like Duke and have 15 or 20+ turnovers.

Yeah it was a big win. Maryland was undefeated at home this season until last night.

The thing that worries me most is our problem with turnovers. We have been able to survive a few games with alot of turnovers but down the stretch it won't happen. You can't expect to stay in a game against a team like Duke and have 15 or 20+ turnovers.

ya i agree, this is a result of youth i think.

I dont expect anything more than 2 wins in acc tourney and NCAAs, but it would be a major surprise to accomplish that based on preseason expectations and the fact we have virtually all freshman.

watch out next year Baby!!!!

You won't have to worry cause your are not beating Duke this year

The next WWE, TNA, or Ultimate Fighting pay per view perhaps?

I can see it now...WWE presents TO/McNabb part I

Sponsored by Campbell's Chunky Soup

I was thinking the same heelz - or better yet - a cage match.

bunnypancake.jpg

No way, I'd be able to tell. Like Dook fans I can detect state fans' foul stench within a 15 foot radius.

I have 'too' much invested in UNC to not be a fan.

I used to go to State games 25 years ago when I got free tickets (couldnt get UNC tickets),,,

But of course, over the years I realized where the real program was (havin 6 figures invested there doesnt hurt either :mad: )

Too bad ASSMOP moved, jetheelz, we could have taken him to a Carolina game. After all, all Dookies hang out on Franklin St. anways.

Archived