2019 Dolphins Highlights

PS17

My daughter rents from Stephen Ross.  You can see how his views on real estate management infect his team.  

The 2019 Dolphins will be the reason the NFL adopts an NBA lottery approach to avoid tanking completely.  It’s pretty bad when the NBA has better policies than the NFL. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Kudos to the Dolphins.  Now here is a team that understands how to tank correctly (unlike some other team or teams we know).  The Colts did it to get Luck.  The Dolphins will do the same to get the #1 pick in 2020.  This is all by design, so make fun of them all you want, but they are executing a plan that may very well work for them.

So next year, they will draft a QB.  Tua or Herbert.  And then what?  They will have no OLine, no WRs, no RBs.  The remaining players on their team with any ability are clamoring to jump ship.  They may be thinking they can bring in all the best FAs, but who's going to buy in on that team in 2020?  It could take them 3 years to recover from this purge.  

And my thoughts on tanking have evolved a bit.  Lamar Jackson was the 5th QB taken in the 2018 draft and the Ravens do not seem to be suffering for it.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So next year, they will draft a QB.  Tua or Herbert.  And then what?  They will have no OLine, no WRs, no RBs.  The remaining players on their team with any ability are clamoring to jump ship.  They may be thinking they can bring in all the best FAs, but who's going to buy in on that team in 2020?  It could take them 3 years to recover from this purge.  

And my thoughts on tanking have evolved a bit.  Lamar Jackson was the 5th QB taken in the 2018 draft and the Ravens do not seem to be suffering for it.  

Please Tua.  I don't want to have to see the Jets face Herbert twice a year.  That's this Ducks fan's worst nightmare.

21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Kudos to the Dolphins.  Now here is a team that understands how to tank correctly (unlike some other team or teams we know).  The Colts did it to get Luck.  The Dolphins will do the same to get the #1 pick in 2020.  This is all by design, so make fun of them all you want, but they are executing a plan that may very well work for them.

Sorry, I’m not congratulating a team that is an embarrassment.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Correct.  They will have a ton of high picks the nexts few years.  This is a 3 year job and if they continue doing this right, they will have positioned themselves to take over once bellichek retires.

Dolphins 2020 draft picks:
1st: Own, Texans
2nd: Own, Saints
3rd: Own, projected compensatory pick
4th: Own, Titans
5th: Projected compensatory pick
6th: Own, Cowboys
7th: Own, Chiefs

Also: Texans’ 2021 first and second round picks

This team will be bad, but if they can hit their picks and continue to acquire more picks, they will be in position for a nice rebuild. I remember a while back that the main sticking point for flores was that the dolphins could not fire him and the dolphins guaranteed him 5 years as the HC.  He would not take the job if his position wasn't guaranteed for 5 seasons. Unlike most first time coaches, Flores has job security... This was the plan, flores knew what had to be done and the ownership and GM's knew how bad the product would be in the short term. 

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

Then why did they trade a 2nd rounder for Rosen?

17 minutes ago, extmenace said:
Dolphins 2020 draft picks:
1st: Own, Texans
2nd: Own, Saints
3rd: Own, projected compensatory pick
4th: Own, Titans
5th: Projected compensatory pick
6th: Own, Cowboys
7th: Own, Chiefs

Also: Texans’ 2021 first and second round picks

This team will be bad, but if they can hit their picks and continue to acquire more picks, they will be in position for a nice rebuild. I remember a while back that the main sticking point for flores was that the dolphins could not fire him and the dolphins guaranteed him 5 years as the HC.  He would not take the job if his position wasn't guaranteed for 5 seasons. Unlike most first time coaches, Flores has job security... This was the plan, flores knew what had to be done and the ownership and GM's knew how bad the product would be in the short term. 

Looking forward to the "Grier 13".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Then why did they trade a 2nd rounder for Rosen?

To be their career back up?  LOL.  Who knows?  That was way back in April.  Maybe they weren't 100% set on tanking by that time.  But the recent trades (i.e. Tunsil) demonstrate exactly what is going on.  

• Upvote 1

How long before a player or the union seek legal recourse against a team like the Dolphins in this situation?

You only get so many years in the league, your opportunity to win in the NFL is minuscule, you get no say in where you play if you get drafted so you are stuck in Miami(or wherever) with a team with no desire to be successful for at least a number of years.

OK so you are getting paid but you have no shot at playoffs and you have no shot at the type of success that leads to lucrative 2nd contracts. I can’t imagine we are far from a situation where someone argues this is anti-competitive.

i’m no fan of litigation but it’s hard not to have some sympathy with that point

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

How long before a player or the union seek legal recourse against a team like the Dolphins in this situation?

You only get so many years in the league, your opportunity to win in the NFL is minuscule, you get no say in where you play if you get drafted so you are stuck in Miami(or wherever) with a team with no desire to be successful for at least a number of years.

OK so you are getting paid but you have no shot at playoffs and you have no shot at the type of success that leads to lucrative 2nd contracts. I can’t imagine we are far from a situation where someone argues this is anti-competitive.

i’m no fan of litigation but it’s hard not to have some sympathy with that point

But how much value is there in winning that can be litigated?

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

Rosen would of been the 2nd QB taken had he been in last years draft.  It was a good gamble at the price they paid but I dont see how rosen can succeed with the talent around him.  

He can't succeed with what is around him, and he can't do anything with Fitz throwing pick 6s.  It just seems odd to me to use a higher draft pick, then immediately dump all offensive talent so there is no way he can succeed.

It was kind of a waste of a pick.   Better by far than the Jets 3rd rounder this year, but that isn't saying much.