Game Observations (CLE)

KRL

Some surprising stats in the game vs. Cleveland last night...

Jets won time of position, just barely, but they did.

Second game in a row where Jets didn’t throw an INT.

Jets outrushed CLE 93 to 70, and averaged 3.9 YPC vs. Cleveland’s 3.3

Jets total plays 59, Cleveland 59.  Cleveland had 16 First Downs, Jets 13.

This game was won based on field position and 3 critical plays made it lopsided.

- Jets unable to convert on 4th down and come away with 0 points.

- The big OBJ touchdown

- Bell’s fumble inside the 10 yard line.

The Jets lost a game that was seemingly non-competitive using a 3rd string QB with no Darnold, no Enunwa, no Herndon, no CJ Mosely, no Quinnen Williams, etc.  The Browns should have won by more IMO, and the Jets, to some degree hung in there.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, genot said:

He played 1/3rd the snaps Leo did. He came in to rush the passer, and offenses knew it.

He played 75% of the snaps that Leo did which is different than 33%. And he was more efficient at getting sacks while being double teamed even though teams knew his job was to rush the passer. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, genot said:

Without QW, looks like i'm gonna owe you a $100. I was banking on QW having a big impact, freeing up Leo to make some splash plays. And vica versa. Leo freeing up QW too make some splash plays.

who knows? just game #2! 

either way, we root for the same damned laundry!

I know it's always in fashion to dump on this team 24/7, 365.. and everyone in the regime, but I thought this team played hard, faulk looked pretty good for a 3rd stringer, gase made the correct calls on 4th down and did not punt, they benched trumaine johnson sending a huge message and bell looked pretty awesome.  lots of pain though, beachum was awful, where was the extra protection for these qbs? the wrs had a miserable game, bellamy has to make that catch, and the field position was horrible all game the play calling was a mystery the whole 1st half and then some.  and those 3rd down non-stops, come on man... oh well... same as it ever was...

still a 4-12 team, but I watched the whole game because I thought the effort was there, so that was my one takeaway....

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

who knows? just game #2! 

either way, we root for the same damned laundry!

Hell yea. I just get a little frustrated though here. We did not lose to the Bills and browns because of poor defense. Our defense has played well enough to win both those games. So when i here the trade Adams and Leo crowd start up, i wonder why they get the blame???

• Upvote 1

This must be a record. The Jets season is actually over in Game Two:

I know I've always said Just End The Season but I never actually meant it...damn

• WR with previous neck injury is injured and lost for the season in Game 1. Go figure...
  • Starting QB contracts mononucleosis, is lost for a month
  • Actually, lucky for him because the OL is about as bad as I remember any Jets OL being. Far from the upgrade we were led to believe we were getting.
  • Somehow, Winters is actually worse than ever.
  • Le'Vean Bell will be Thomas Jones (playoff version) in three weeks.
  • WRs mostly look like Crowder and three David Nelsons...

I have never felt such misery in September as now.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, mphtrilogy said:

I know it's always in fashion to dump on this team 24/7, 365.. and everyone in the regime, but I thought this team played hard, faulk looked pretty good for a 3rd stringer, gase made the correct calls on 4th down and did not punt, they benched trumaine johnson sending a huge message and bell looked pretty awesome.  lots of pain though, beachum was awful, where was the extra protection for these qbs? the wrs had a miserable game, bellamy has to make that catch, and the field position was horrible all game the play calling was a mystery the whole 1st half and then some.  and those 3rd down non-stops, come on man... oh well... same as it ever was...

still a 4-12 team, but I watched the whole game because I thought the effort was there, so that was my one takeaway....

Agreed.  True test of Gase and Williams marriage is the next month.  Can they hold this team together?  As bad as last night was it could have been worse.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, KRL said:

Williams has kept his nose clean and has represented himself well as a 
pro.  There's no reason not to like him as a person BUT his scouting
report coming out of the draft screams that he's been a disappointment:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/leonard-williams?id=2552486

OVERVIEW

In 2014, Williams was selected as USC's Most Valuable Player and Defensive Lineman of the Year. Also was first-team All-Pac-12 selection. He was a finalist for the Hendricks Award and a semifinalist for the Lombardi Award, Bednarik Award and Lott IMPACT Trophy. He was one of five captains selected by teammates prior to the 2014 season. He had 80 total tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, seven sacks, one interception and forced three fumbles during 2014 season. Williams sat out 2014 spring practice while recovering from a 2013 shoulder injury. In 2013, Williams was the starter at defensive end and he was named USC's Defensive Lineman of the Year, despite being bothered during the year with a shoulder injury. In 2012, Williams played in all 13 games, starting nine at defensive tackle and was named Pac-12 Defensive Freshman of the Year. Some of his artwork was displayed at the 2013 and 2014 "Artletics" on-campus exhibits that featured the works of USC student-athletes. As a senior in high school, his honors included Super Prep All-American and Prep Star All-American.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Supremely gifted interior lineman with length, athleticism and elite power. Lined up just about everywhere along the line at one point or another. Able to jolt offensive linemen with powerful hands and is extremely hard to redirect for offensive linemen once he gets going downhill. Explosive hip snap to leverage blockers and is rarely moved from his gap. Often a read-and-react two-gapper and plays peek-a-boo with running backs while discarding blockers at will when he's ready to tackle. Too much play strength for zone blockers to cross-face him. Fires out with low pad level when playing the run and is difficult to submarine on short yardage. Has feet and brute force to recover and get back into a play after being beaten early. Dangerous pass rusher from twist game, showing big closing burst. Effort rusher who will eventually get home if single-blocked. Beginning to develop spin move as pass-rush counter. Showed intriguing potential as a pass-rushing end in space. Frame able to hold more weight and muscle.

WEAKNESSES

Is a little late out of his stance off the snap. Must learn to consistently fire hands out as weapons. Slow to transition from run stopper to pass rusher when teams throw on first down. Pad level rises and legs straighten out as pass rusher. Base will narrow, slowing momentum and limiting full potential of his bull rush. Hasn't learned to set up offensive linemen or string together pass-rush moves yet. Doesn't always play to capacity and pursuit is lacking when play heads away from him. Still very raw. Wins with physical tools over skill.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1 (top three)

SOURCES TELL US

"You can't over-think this one. It doesn't matter how raw he is because he's got freakish qualities that are rare for men his size. I think he has a chance to be as good as Kevin Williams. That's his comp." -- NFC Director of Scouting

NFL COMPARISON

Kevin Williams

BOTTOM LINE

Enormously powerful defensive lineman. Has the look and feel of the biggest, strongest kid on the playground but hasn't figured out how to unlock his natural gifts and consistently dominate the rest of the kids on the playground just yet. Williams can play in an odd or even front, and is able to hold the point as a two-gapper or disrupt upfield. With coaching and more experience, Williams should be able to match the athleticism with the power and become a consistent Pro Bowler with a ceiling that goes even higher than that.

Watch his college tape. He's a much better athlete than most of these kids so he dominates, but you don't see a lot of great technique (unlike Quinnen) or explosiveness. Leo just hasn't worked hard enough to take his game to the next level. No killer instinct. 

• Upvote 1

I hope he's not shot but having a 6'3 225 lb dude out there like DT has to help a guy like Falk going forward.  With Enunwa gone and no Herndon all our receivers are small targets.  Thomas could be like Burress was for Sanchez...

I also would hope Gase is creative enough to consider Montgomery as a WR more often so he can have him and Bell on the field at the same time. He was a WR in college and became this hybrid guy under McCarthy when Eddie Lacy ballooned out to 250+ lbs...

• Upvote 1

You've been just as hard on Jets players as the rest of us.  What gives?  Are there certain players we're not allowed to criticize?

I don’t have irrational hatred for the only all pro on the team. The hate Jamal Adams gets here is ridiculous, and unwarranted. He didn’t ask to come here. Yet you same folk worship the bust that is a Darnold and he was drafted 3rd!
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, DLJ said:

I don’t have irrational hatred for the only all pro on the team. The hate Jamal Adams gets here is ridiculous, and unwarranted. He didn’t ask to come here. Yet you same folk worship the bust that is a Darnold and he was drafted 3rd!

Please.  Jamal brings a lot of that on himself by being a self-promoter and the self-proclaimed leader of the team.  He's not an innocent bystander who got over-drafted.  He buys into his own hype and it isn't a useful quality.  

And calling Darnold a bust at 22 years old is a far more irrational take than calling Jamal Adams overrated. 

Adams reached a Pro Bowl and is ranked # 37 in the league by his peers, yet it's impossible to come up with one "signature play" Adams has made in 2+ seasons.  The defense hasn't made any statistical improvement due to Adams' presence on it.  He's mostly irrelevant.  And his DC just benched him for trying to stat-pad.  

• Upvote 2