2017:  11th  (5-11)

2016:  1st  (5-11)

2015:  1st (10-6)

2014:  11th (4-12)

2013:  2nd (8-8)

2012:  15th (6-10)

2011:  4th (8-8)

2010:  2nd (11-5)

So we've had 5 top 5 finishes in run defense this decade, and are headed for a 6th.  In those years, the team went 32-32.  This year we have the # 2 run defense thus far, and are 3-7.  

By the way, that 2013 team that went 8-8 was -97 in the NFL, 5th worst in the league.  

When you use all 10 seasons, our run D has ranked 7th in DVOA, on average, in that span.  Our record this decade is 64-90 (.416).

A strong run defense doesn't seem to have much of a positive impact in the W/L column.  

Or you could notice that we won more games when great against the run rather than when we weren’t great against the run. Clearly, it’s not important to be good at 1 thing but to be good at multiple facets of football.

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Or you could notice that we won more games when great against the run rather than when we weren’t great against the run. Clearly, it’s not important to be good at 1 thing but to be good at multiple facets of football.

The 2015 and 2016 seasons demonstrate that to be a false claim.  Same coach, same # 1 ranking in run defense, and we plummeted from 10-6 to 5-11.  

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Even more important, they are all under contract!  Phillips, Fatukasi, Shepherd, and Anderson are signed through 2021.  Quinnen Williams is signed through 2022, with a team option for 2023.  McClendon is signed for 2020.  Hell, even the failed projects from other teams that I like, Willis and Basham, are signed for 2020.  When the biggest decision at the position group is whether to tender Frankie Luvu, that spot is pretty well set.  

Luvu had a stellar game yesterday. Me like.

clearly in this day and age, pass defense is more important, but we played a few teams that really rely on their running game - taking away the run makes them one dimensional;

Obviously, taking away the big plays (2 in 2 weeks - there would have been a third without a skins penalty) is the next step. Then doing better then the high twenties on passing defense - but it is a start - how good were we against the run with Todd?

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

I don't overvalue cherry picked stats vs. the other worst teams in the NFL to support a narrative.

The year-long numbers are who we are.  

As I said above, winning, in strong fashion and led by a productive offense, would go a long way to shifting cynicism that the last two weeks were just the truly bad beating up on the slightly worse.

Beat the Raiders and score 30 doing so.  Then beat the equally horrible Bengals by 20+ points.

Then we can talk.

I would argue the last two weeks are more accurate than the whole season. Why? Because we had our 3rd string QB that shouldn't be playing in the NFL for several games. If Sam was playing we wouldn't be near the bottom of the league. He's just now getting back to speed after mono.

• Thumb Down 1

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

594DC225-714C-477E-A428-536F4CDE7462.jpeg

So are we last in pass D then ? Lol.. shutting down Barkley was nice, but giants OL is junk now, and they still put up over 20. Plus looking at our record, when teams are up by a good amount on the jets, they are just running 2 yard dives the D knows is coming just to eat the clock.. 

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

I would argue the last two weeks are more accurate than the whole season. Why? Because we had our 3rd string QB that shouldn't be playing in the NFL for several games. If Sam was playing we wouldn't be near the bottom of the league. He's just now getting back to speed after mono.

Well, ok.  Guess we'll see.  Beating the Raiders at home should be easy for Darnold then.  That'll be cool.