Hats Off to the Niners

JetsLife

14 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

They invested in the right positions and have a great coach

A "great coach" who was 6-10 and 4-12 in his first two seasons in SF while his GM rebuilt the roster. 

You think this fanbase would ever let a coach get away with that without flying planes?

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It goes to show you that there is something to be said for staying the course and committing to a rebuild when your roster sucks

this. 

that said, there aint a guarantee the JD/Gase can get it done...     

the goal is to get to the post season...    took a while for Shanny...  and Bill B and Pete Carroll

• Upvote 1

Just now, Losmeister said:

this. 

that said, there aint a guarantee the JD/Gase can get it done...     

the goal is to get to the post season...    took a while for Shanny...  and Bill B and Pete Carroll

Yes, most rebuilds ultimately fall short because winning consistently in the NFL is really hard. 

But you do have to give these guys a chance. 

Yes, I always wonder how things would have turned out if we kept Pete Caroll. 

Its all about time and consistency in sports.  Because Shanahan wasn't looking like a
"genius" when he got cute with his playcalling and blew the SB against NE.  All he had
to do was run the ball, make NE use their timeouts and put a FG on the board.  And he
didn't do it

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yes, most rebuilds ultimately fall short because winning consistently in the NFL is really hard. 

But you do have to give these guys a chance. 

Yes, I always wonder how things would have turned out if we kept Pete Caroll. 

I think so. I mean, year to year coach carousel is brutal. 

The above bolded isn't even a vote of CONFIDENCE as far as I am concerned.

What coach coulda won games with Luke Falk? Luke mother****ing Falk?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, KRL said:

They definitely are in a good position but it didn't happen overnight.

Shanahan & Lynch had two bad years (6-10 & 4-12) before their breakthrough:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/index.htm

They also drafted really athletic defensive players who can cover ground and hit the QB, not 3-4 defensive ends who get almost 1 QB hurry a game.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Yeah but to Sars point, this year the Eagles and Rams are mostly bad. The Chiefs are deeply flawed. Last year the 49ers almost fired everyone. Let’s see them maintain success before they’re crowned.

But are they, really? 

Last year the 49ers almost fired everyone, except their key pieces which remained in place and they've picked up right where they've left off since Jimmy G is back under center. Once they got Jimmy G to facilitate the offense, then everything changed. They were 1-9 before G took over. With him in the game they ended the season 5-1. He started the next season 1-2 but was put on IR for the remainder of the season. This season in his return they're 11-2, quite similar to that 5-1 start he had when he was first traded for. 

The Eagles are probably the worst team out of the bunch, but probably have the most significant injuries of any of these teams as well. Yet with that they're tied for 1st place in their division with a Cowboys team who's completely underachieving based on their personnel...probably because of coaching???? The Cowboys should be running away with this division as they're playing in a division with 2 of the bottom 5 worst teams in the league and an injured Eagles team. The Cowboys coaching staff is limiting them while the injured Eagles team is overachieving based on their situation and could actually win this division. 

The Rams are bad? Why, because they're in 3rd place in their division? The Rams have an 8-5 record and play in the toughest division by far as well as in the toughest conference. The 49er's are in 1st place and the Seahawks are in 2nd with MVP candidate Russell Wilson. Sure, they may miss the playoffs, but in terms of division wins and losses, they have 1 more loss than the hawks and 9ers. They're not a bad team at all. They're just not the best in their division this year, but if you were to put them in any other division, especially in the AFC, they'd probably be the best team/ top 3 teams in the AFC based on their play. 

The Chiefs, specifically Mahomes wasnt going to repeat that MVP performance he had last year. That was ridiculously crazy what he did last year. With that said, the Chiefs are in 1st place in their division with a 9-4 record and a 3 game lead on the the team in 2nd place. Also, the Chiefs are just 1 of 3 teams to have already secured a playoff spot as they've already clinched their division title. 

Sure, the Chiefs are flawed, but it takes great coaching to work around and protect team flaws, which was my point in regards to the models of these teams. Coaching and depth. When you dont have depth or even a defense, you see why coaching is so important. This is why Andy Reid is a top 3 coach in this league. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i think this is not true.

Facts. I dont think so either, given the word he used in "almost", but my point is that all of the main pieces in 2017 remained, and they picked up right where they left off. I didnt want to argue that point with him. 

It's to the point where folks are already predicting the 9ers and Ravens in the SB. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Facts. I dont think so either, given the word he used in "almost", but my point is that all of the main pieces in 2017 remained, and they picked up right where they left off. I didnt want to argue that point with him. 

It's to the point where folks are already predicting the 9ers and Ravens in the SB. 

I think ALMOST is not rue.

anyway...    last year we had (fill in the blank perjorative term plural) predicting the Browns would be in the SB this year.

I agree with Sar on this one, there is no model and each  year someone picks out the latest hot team as 'the model.

I think there is no model from year to year on how to build a team but there are two things that will keep your team competitive and that is a good coach and a great QB.  If you have those you will be relevant year after year in most cases.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Last year, the Rams were the model.  The year before, the Eagles were the model.  Going into this year, the Chiefs were the model.  Now, the Ravens are the model.

There is no model.  You get a hot quarterback and stay healthy, you have a chance to win it all.  For exactly 1 year.  And then you hope to get another shot within the next 2 years.

SAR I

The league predetermines winners and use the refs to make this happen.  Owners probably play paper, rock, scissors every year at the league meetings.

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

I think ALMOST is not rue.

anyway...    last year we had (fill in the blank perjorative term plural) predicting the Browns would be in the SB this year.

Yeah, but prediction from one year to the next is just foolish of folks. Predicting that a currently dominate team is probably going to make it to the SB that season isnt as much of a stretch. It's kinda like how everyone last year thought that the Chiefs would be in the SB...and they would have if not for Dee Ford. Such a bonehead move by him. I really believe that they traded him because of that off sides play. It literally costs them a trip to the dance. 

1 minute ago, Fantasy Island said:

The league predetermines winners and use the refs to make this happen.  Owners probably play paper, rock, scissors every year at the league meetings.

Is that you Hackengberg? ?

Man I miss him around here! I wouldnt be surprised if they did though. It's called "sports entertainment" for a reason.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

A "great coach" who was 6-10 and 4-12 in his first two seasons in SF while his GM rebuilt the roster. 

You think this fanbase would ever let a coach get away with that without flying planes?

They didn't fly planes for Bowles so maybe. This is Gase 4th year as a HC. Shanahan is a great coach yes

Over the last 5 years, I have heard different NFL media heads at different times say that Luck, Wentz, Mahomes, Mayfield, and now, Jackson were each set to dominate the league for the next decade.
I think you need to look at who you're listening to. I heard that about Luck when he was young and healthy, about Mahomes last year and, yes, Jackson this year.

About Wentz, the super bowl year, there was optimism but the 'experts' were still wary, always mentioned flaws. Never heard anyone I respect sa that Mayfield was set to dominate anything other than media controversy.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Jimmy G. is their weak link, I think. He's good, but he's not great.

Winning in the Superdome vs. Brees and the Saints is no joke.  I thought it was his best game, even if not his best stats.  Jimmy G is proving to be very good and when they've turned to him because the run was getting stopped he's delivered almost every time.

His biggest asset though?  Kyle Shanahan.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, isired said:

I think you need to look at who you're listening to. I heard that about Luck when he was young and healthy, about Mahomes last year and, yes, Jackson this year.

About Wentz, the super bowl year, there was optimism but the 'experts' were still wary, always mentioned flaws. Never heard anyone I respect sa that Mayfield was set to dominate anything other than media controversy.

Tons of people gushed about Mayfield and Wentz, but regardless, Mahomes/Jackson/Luck are plenty to prove my point. 

At least this model is well rounded - a strong defense and run game with a quarterback that can manage it all and make the plays when necessary.

The model was NEVER the Chiefs or the Rams - the game always comes back to its roots and while the high flying offenses are fun, they don't win championships.

2 hours ago, Jet Life said:

They didn't fly planes for Bowles so maybe. This is Gase 4th year as a HC. Shanahan is a great coach yes

Bowles won 10 games his first year. That bought him some slack here, so he’s not a relevant example. 

This is Gase’s his first year in NY. He made the playoffs once with the dolphins and got fired after going 7-9 because he didn’t want to rebuild. 

Yes, Shanahan is now a “great” coach because his team is having a big year, but after two seasons, he was 10-22. My point is that he would have never gotten the chance here to have a big third season.

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Bowles won 10 games his first year. That bought him some slack here, so he’s not a relevant example. 

This is Gase’s his first year in NY. He made the playoffs once with the dolphins and got fired after going 7-9 because he didn’t want to rebuild. 

Yes, Shanahan is now a “great” coach because his team is having a big year, but after two seasons, he was 10-22. My point is that he would have never gotten the chance here to have a big third season.

From the first hut, there is no patience with some in this fan base. Instant gratification.

• Upvote 1