Hats Off to the Niners

JetsLife

2 hours ago, JetsLife said:

That is the model. They flat hit on many decisions: draft picks, trading for Jimmy G, bolstering their pass rush, etc.

It's going to be very exciting to see Baltimore vs San Francisco in the Super Bowl.

Don't you mean Niners vs. Patriots? The refs will find a way for the Pats to cheat Baltimore out of it. The league soon will sniff a Brady/Garropolo story line and run with it. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Except the Eagles werent a healthy team that season, and the 49ers have 13 players on IR with a handful of those players being starters. 

There is a model there, it's called Coaching & depth. With depth: The 49ers starting RB has been on IR for the past 2 seasons yet their one of the best rushing teams in the league. They have depth and starting WR's on IR yet they use scheme and misdirection to make plays in the passing game etc. 

With coaching: The Rams, Eagles, Chiefs, Ravens... and I'll throw in the 49ers, have the best offensive minds and some of the most stable coaching in the league. 

The model to success is getting competent coaching and affordable depth (recognizing talent at all positions). That will make up for alot of the injuries, even injuries to your hotshot QB...as the Eagles showed a couple years back.

Yeah but to Sars point, this year the Eagles and Rams are mostly bad. The Chiefs are deeply flawed. Last year the 49ers almost fired everyone. Let’s see them maintain success before they’re crowned.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Last year, the Rams were the model.  The year before, the Eagles were the model.  Going into this year, the Chiefs were the model.  Now, the Ravens are the model.

There is no model.  You get a hot quarterback and stay healthy, you have a chance to win it all.  For exactly 1 year.  And then you hope to get another shot within the next 2 years.

SAR I

Built a solid roster, fill the key positions.

QB, Edge, LT, Corner, Receiver. It’s why Maccagnan fell on his ass. He had no Idea LT, Corner, Edge, is worth more than an ILB, D.T and Safety.

• Upvote 1

High-powered defenses aren’t sticky in the NFL. They generally don’t persist season upon season. Just this decade, we had the Jets two year run with Sanchez, 49ers 2 year run with Kaep, Jags 1 year with Bortles. The common denominator is that the QB wasn’t very good, so when the D got injured or lost guys in the offseason, the team suffered. I see these 49ers as very similar. They better hope they cash out and get a SB out of this run. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Last year, the Rams were the model.  The year before, the Eagles were the model.  Going into this year, the Chiefs were the model.  Now, the Ravens are the model.

There is no model.  You get a hot quarterback and stay healthy, you have a chance to win it all.  For exactly 1 year.  And then you hope to get another shot within the next 2 years.

SAR I

Remember this summer when it was the Chiefs model that everyone should follow.

Good Times

• Upvote 1

The model is making good personnel decisions up and down your roster and adapting to your key personnel (a fresh concept in the NFL).

Play callers who call a game to their offensive strengths - Philly pivoting to Foles, Rams running behind the best run-blocking OL in the league (and hiding an average QB), KC and Baltimore rewriting their playbooks to fit their QBs, and the 9ers adjusting weekly on O and D to attack each opponent (D vs Baltimore, O in shootout with Saints, etc.).

The Rams biggest change from last year to this year is the lack of a run game (OL, RB) and defenses following what the Pats did to them (and the Lions and the Bears) - stop the run and confuse Goff.

As for personnel, look at the Ravens and 9ers WR units. The whole is far greater than the sum of its parts.

14 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

High-powered defenses aren’t sticky in the NFL. They generally don’t persist season upon season. Just this decade, we had the Jets two year run with Sanchez, 49ers 2 year run with Kaep, Jags 1 year with Bortles. The common denominator is that the QB wasn’t very good, so when the D got injured or lost guys in the offseason, the team suffered. I see these 49ers as very similar. They better hope they cash out and get a SB out of this run. 

It's funny that all Garoppolo does is win. Last year he tore up his knee and the Niners were awful.

Maybe he doesn't put up the fantasy numbers that Jackson, and Mahomes puts up but he can be my QB anyday.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

It's funny that all Garoppolo does is win. Last year he tore up his knee and the Niners were awful.

Maybe he doesn't put up the fantasy numbers that Jackson, and Mahomes puts up but he can be my QB anyday.

It’s not about fantasy numbers. It’s about efficiency and productivity metrics. Generally speaking, guys like him don’t put teams on their backs doe. You’re right though, it’s impressive how he manages games and generally avoids mistakes to allow his D and run games to dictate the outcomes.

1 hour ago, isired said:

The model is making good personnel decisions up and down your roster and adapting to your key personnel (a fresh concept in the NFL).

Play callers who call a game to their offensive strengths - Philly pivoting to Foles, Rams running behind the best run-blocking OL in the league (and hiding an average QB), KC and Baltimore rewriting their playbooks to fit their QBs, and the 9ers adjusting weekly on O and D to attack each opponent (D vs Baltimore, O in shootout with Saints, etc.).

The Rams biggest change from last year to this year is the lack of a run game (OL, RB) and defenses following what the Pats did to them (and the Lions and the Bears) - stop the run and confuse Goff.

As for personnel, look at the Ravens and 9ers WR units. The whole is far greater than the sum of its parts.

The two teams have two of the best offensive lines and the number 1 and 2 rushing attacks. WRs and QBs look great when you have that.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

It’s not about fantasy numbers. It’s about efficiency and productivity metrics. Generally speaking, guys like him don’t put teams on their backs doe. You’re right though, it’s impressive how he manages games and generally avoids mistakes to allow his D and run games to dictate the outcomes.

He's been fortunate to avoid mistakes. He routinely throws would be interceptions that get dropped. Maybe it's his ball. However, his record can't be ignored.

100%, teams predicated on very strong defense have small windows

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, rldev said:

He's been fortunate to avoid mistakes. He routinely throws would be interceptions that get dropped. Maybe it's his ball. However, his record can't be ignored.

throws INTs pretty routinely. 1-2 throws per game that SHOULD be INTs. lately he's cutting down on those throws.

he also makes a number of very accurate throws in tight windows each game.

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

THIS.

Over the last 5 years, I have heard different NFL media heads at different times say that Luck, Wentz, Mahomes, Mayfield, and now, Jackson were each set to dominate the league for the next decade. 

As others have pointed out, these guys all get crowned so early now, well before they actually achieve anything. Can the 49ers win a playoff game before we start talking about their "model?" Can they have more than 1 really good season in a row?

The NFL is a year to year league. The annual roster turnover is massive and there is a surprisingly fine line between being 10-6 and 6-10. 

The only team that has been consistently dominant over the last decade (and hence, the only team with a truly worthy "model") is New England, and we all know their videography ("Research and Development") department is STACKED. 

You can have a great defense for 2-3 years, but then guys want to be paid, and you lose them for 3rd, 4th and 5th round draft picks.

It's hard to keep together.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

They definitely are in a good position but it didn't happen overnight.

Shanahan & Lynch had two bad years (6-10 & 4-12) before their breakthrough:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/index.htm

Right.

Now, imagine this board if the Jets finish 6-10 this year and then go 4-12 next year with Gase and Douglas. 

It goes to show you that there is something to be said for staying the course and committing to a rebuild when your roster sucks

• Upvote 2