HISTORICALLY Bad OL....

I think most everyone agrees that the OL is bad (none of the current crop is an average or better starter), and that JD should heavily focus on that in the draft and maybe in free agency (but that's a crapshoot and you usually have to overpay to get someone halfway decent). The Jets really need to secure at least 3 new starters for next year, and then probably shoot for 2 more the next year.  And, of course, some new depth guys.

The supposedly improved play of the OL in the second half of the season may have just been a result of the generally easier schedule. The pass blocking looked a bit better at times, but still not "good," and the run blocking was still pretty poor. 

Let's start with LT, C, and one other OL in the first 3-4 rounds of the draft!

• Upvote 2

Man you have to delete this thread because according to some out here Sam Darnold was somehow holding back these "players" from reaching their full potential!

Indeed the former Jet Wayne (Turnstile) Hunter looks like an ALL PRO HOF compared to what we saw out of this OL unit at times. 

The OL play impacted everything the running game (they couldn't attack the edges), the WRs (no time to get down field), the QB (Sam was running for his life and developed poor habits to boot), the coaching (You can't call half of what you want because the line can't protect anything).

This is WHY folks have been complaining for YEARS about our OL and why our GMs, excluding JD were totally INCOMPETENT!!!!!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

I think most everyone agrees that the OL is bad (none of the current crop is an average or better starter), and that JD should heavily focus on that in the draft and maybe in free agency (but that's a crapshoot and you usually have to overpay to get someone halfway decent). The Jets really need to secure at least 3 new starters for next year, and then probably shoot for 2 more the next year.  And, of course, some new depth guys.

The supposedly improved play of the OL in the second half of the season may have just been a result of the generally easier schedule. The pass blocking looked a bit better at times, but still not "good," and the run blocking was still pretty poor. 

Let's start with LT, C, and one other OL in the first 3-4 rounds of the draft!

second half easier schedule?  they played both the raiders and the steelers when both teams had good reasons to win and beat them.  they played a resurgent doltfin team and won.  and even though the bills rested many players the game was away, in bad conditions and won.  if the second half schedule was easier it wasn't by much.  also teams usually hit their stride by game 4 or so.  except for the early loss to the patsies any of those games could've gone either way.

totally agree on needing some good oline players.  there was way too much shifting players around.  the oline finally got settled in game 9.

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Darnold, right now, playing with maybe 2 NFL players on his Offense, projects to close to 4,000 yards passing, close to 2:1 Ratio TD:INT, will it get any better if Douglas is able to fill the unit with say at worst just AVERAGE NFL (key word is NFL) players?

Holy sh*t, that's awful.  I'm legit more impressed with Sam the more I hear about how epically bad this OL truly was this season.  I mean, you could see it.  It was plain as day.  You here about the, 11 different players, 10 different combos, worst protection rate in the NFL, worst run blocking and then this doozy drops.  lol

Holy sh*t was Big Mac a disaster. 

• Upvote 4

The OL was unquestionably a problem, but any attempt to dismiss coaching from a share of the blame goes right out the window when realizing there were a minimum of 3 OL positions that were upgraded by changes forced by injuries (LG, C, RG).

A ton of work needs to be done along the line, but that doesn't change that the problem goes well beyond that.

22 minutes ago, rangerous said:

second half easier schedule?  they played both the raiders and the steelers when both teams had good reasons to win and beat them.  they played a resurgent doltfin team and won.  and even though the bills rested many players the game was away, in bad conditions and won.  if the second half schedule was easier it wasn't by much.  also teams usually hit their stride by game 4 or so.  except for the early loss to the patsies any of those games could've gone either way.

totally agree on needing some good oline players.  there was way too much shifting players around.  the oline finally got settled in game 9.

I love the "easy 2nd half schedule" line... as if losing all of those games for a higher pick would have somehow made us all feel better about the current status of the team and talent level. 

You play to win the game! If anything it's about having more picks and hitting on them than higher picks... but I digress. 

What bothers me about this year was the Dolphins loss (26-18 was a total embarrassment), the 2nd Pats loss (33-0 "ghosts" game), and the Bengals loss-- those 3 will make me sick all winter. 

• Upvote 1

John Schmidt 1964-1973

Joe Fields 1975-1987

Jim Sweeny 1984-1994

Roger Duffy 1990-1997

Kevin Mawae 1998-2005

Nick Mangold 2006-2016

This is all time NFL talent at one position, center. The Jets have history at this position, start here for the next NYJ OL lineman.  I like Harrison, as depth at the middle of the OL just to address the current starter.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

The OL was unquestionably a problem, but any attempt to dismiss coaching from a share of the blame goes right out the window when realizing there were a minimum of 3 OL positions that were upgraded by changes forced by injuries (LG, C, RG).

A ton of work needs to be done along the line, but that doesn't change that the problem goes well beyond that.

Our genius Gase trotted out the week1 version of our o-line with 5 guys who had never played together before. Not once during preseason did those 5 hit the field together. Yet Gase thought that it was perfectly acceptable to trot them out to protect the franchise QB. How can anyone with a modicum of football acumen thank that is a good idea?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, freestater said:

Our genius Gase trotted out the week1 version of our o-line with 5 guys who had never played together before. Not once during preseason did those 5 hit the field together. Yet Gase thought that it was perfectly acceptable to trot them out to protect the franchise QB. How can anyone with a modicum of football acumen thank that is a good idea?

My thoughts exactly, we were too busy protecting everyone in the preseason that this new group of players had little reps together, especially Khalil who trained on his couch til the last minute....next year give all the starters a time to jell in the preseason...what they might get injured?

• Upvote 1