Report: Jets Will Have Heavy Interest in RT Jack Conklin

JetNation

Jets GM Joe Douglas has quite the task in front of him as he looks to re-build his offensive line that can use at least 3 new starters after an abysmal performance in 2019.  According to NFL insider Chad Forbes, the Jets already have one name in their crosshairs.

#Jets ? in on #Titans Jack Conklin. 26 Yrs Old. If not tagged, will be Jets biggest pursuit outside resigning their own FAs. A deal with Brian Poole during exclusivity period would pave way for Conklin signing… that’s how the business works!

— Chad Forbes (@NFLDraftBites) January 29, 2020

Tennessee Titans free agent right tackle Jack Conklin is a rare instance in which an upper echelon tackle in his prime could hit the open market.  By adding a player such as Conklin, the Jets would be giving quarterback Sam Darnold an improved pocket who will also open up more holes in the running game than the Jets have had since the departure of Damien Woody.

The post Report: Jets Will Have Heavy Interest in RT Jack Conklin appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
4GSlXs0MO1c

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

I don’t think he ends up hitting FA. The Titans have 3 key free agents they want to keep. Ryan Tannehill will probably get something like 4 yrs at $24-26M per season. Derrick Henry may get the Franchise Tag before Tennessee negotiates a longer term deal with him. And finally, we have Conklin. I saw one projection that a deal could look like this...

C8113AAD-E338-4057-B373-FA001774D6A6.thumb.jpeg.837feb1b3a59120322b4892b8f311cb1.jpeg

The problem for the Jets is two-fold...

1. The Titans currently have about the 12th most cap space for 2020 free agency. By releasing a few overpriced players they could be as high as 6th. They will have the money to keep him if they want.

2. There is no state income tax in Tennessee. Conklin would keep more of his money as income in that state. 

54 minutes ago, JetNation said:

Jets GM Joe Douglas has quite the task in front of him as he looks to re-build his offensive line that can use at least 3 new starters after an abysmal performance in 2019.  According to NFL insider Chad Forbes, the Jets already have one name in their crosshairs.

#Jets ? in on #Titans Jack Conklin. 26 Yrs Old. If not tagged, will be Jets biggest pursuit outside resigning their own FAs. A deal with Brian Poole during exclusivity period would pave way for Conklin signing… that’s how the business works!

— Chad Forbes (@NFLDraftBites) January 29, 2020

Tennessee Titans free agent right tackle Jack Conklin is a rare instance in which an upper echelon tackle in his prime could hit the open market.  By adding a player such as Conklin, the Jets would be giving quarterback Sam Darnold an improved pocket who will also open up more holes in the running game than the Jets have had since the departure of Damien Woody.

The post Report: Jets Will Have Heavy Interest in RT Jack Conklin appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

4GSlXs0MO1c

Click here to read the full story...

So if Jack turns into an ass after signing a mega deal, I guess that would still be ok. He’ll become. Speed breaker. Better than the turnstiles we have right now. 

41 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don’t think he ends up hitting FA. The Titans have 3 key free agents they want to keep. Ryan Tannehill will probably get something like 4 yrs at $24-26M per season. Derrick Henry may get the Franchise Tag before Tennessee negotiates a longer term deal with him. And finally, we have Conklin. I saw one projection that a deal could look like this...

C8113AAD-E338-4057-B373-FA001774D6A6.thumb.jpeg.837feb1b3a59120322b4892b8f311cb1.jpeg

1. The Titans currently have about the 12th most cap space for 2020 free agency. By releasing a few overpriced players they could be as high as 6th. They will have the money to keep him if they want.

2. There is no state income tax in Tennessee. Conklin would keep more of his money as income in that state. 

I bet they let Tannehill hit the market, then bring him back at a reasonable price for 2 years if no one bites.  4 years and they definitely end up regretting it.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I bet they let Tannehill hit the market, then bring him back at a reasonable price for 2 years if no one bites.  4 years and they definitely end up regretting it.

I don't disagree, but it is a little risky for them....unless they're confident that the system > QB there in Tennessee.  And it could very well be the case that they see it that way.  The risk is that you're coming off an AFC Championship Game appearance and you don't know who your QB might be in 2020.  Tannehill truly excelled in the system with a run-heavy offense.  But Marcus Mariotta couldn't make it work, so I do wonder if Tennessee really thinks they can gamble with possibly losing Tannehill.  Can any decent QB make it work down there?  What would their other options be excluding Tom Brady and assuming no Mariotta?

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Holy crap Jetstream! Stop being such a Debbie downer. I think Conklin would look seriously AWESOME in a Jets uniform. I'm allowed to dream if I want and you're ruining my dream! SO SHUT IT

• Haha 1