Another Quick Thought On The XFL

THE BARON

Everyone seems to like the kickoff rules for the XFL and the extra point options.

A small sample size so far, but another thing I can get used to.  It seems the XLF players are there because they love football.  I'm not saying that there are no NFL players that love the game, but the XLF seems like it is going to be a "diva free" league.  No hold outs, no other diva BS, and so on.  Most refreshing...

It will be interesting to see how the XFL handles off the field issues.  If they are smart and want to hold to the purity of the game, they should have a zero tolerance policy for things like domestic violence, hard drugs and so on... 

It would really be nice if they keep it to football and cast off the hypocrisy, double standards and rapacious nature of the NFL...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don’t care for the XFL extra point rules

I would like it a lot better if they also had an extra point kicking option.  Not a chip shot like the NFL, but a single point from 40 yards out.  An actual challenge of sorts... 

15 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I like the idea, but the execution needs work. 3 points for essentially picking up a first down on one try is a bit much for me. I'd have liked 1 try for either:

- 40 yard XP
- 2 point conversion from the 5 yard line
- 3 point conversion from the 15 yard line
- 5 point conversion from the 50 yard line

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the league needs a legit minor league. There are hundreds of dudes who can play, but if you aren't good right away or have bad injury luck it's like one chance and you're done. 

With the injuries in the NFL this would improve the league overall. We were rolling guys out at CB that were still wearing the bowling shoes they borrowed from their job at the Lanes. It was ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Another thing I can get used to.  It seems the XLF players are there because they love football.  I'm not saying that there are no NFL players that love the game, but the XLF seems like it is going to be a "diva free" league.  No hold outs, no other diva BS, and so on.  Most refreshing...

It will be interesting to see how the XFL handles off the field issues.  If they are smart and want to hold to the purity of the game, they should have a zero tolerance policy for things like domestic violence, hard drugs and so on... 

It would really be nice if they keep it to football and cast off the hypocrisy, double standards and rapacious nature of the NFL...

Yeah, I can see how a league where the players have no bargaining rights, and have to conform to your particular values would be appealing. I don't blame you for hoping they take that to another level, after all you're the person investing the time to watch them play.

It would be even cooler if the league could deal with any "off field" issues in as draconian a manner as you and the owners would like. That's what's wrong with society, and especially the NFL these days... people have way too many rights. Pro football players and those stupid CBAs are a perfect example of what's ruining everything for us.

=D>=D>=D>=D>

I mean jeez, I'm a white baby boomer, pretty conservative, and I'm in a good place financially, but even I cringed reading that. LOL

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Anybody seen the ratings for these games? I'm really not interested in the XFL, but I'm curious how many people are.

so yeah

they had a 35% decrease between week 1 and week 2, more or less  

it was like 3.2 million people week 1, and 2.1 million week 2. 

which is kind of expected (week 1 they were going against air, week 2 they were going against Daytona 500 and NBA All Star game)

but... if they can keep this level of ratings (give or take 10%) and people keep betting on it, then my prediction is this will be a product that networks will want to broadcast. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

so yeah

which is kind of expected (week 1 they were going against air, week 2 they were going against Daytona 500 and NBA All Star game)

but... if they can keep this level of ratings (give or take 10%) and people keep betting on it, then my prediction is this will be a product that networks will want to broadcast. 

So it sounds like you think they're a more stable model then that other league that folded last year, huh?

I guess that's what I was asking...

7 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

So it sounds like you think they're a more stable model then that other league that folded last year, huh?

I guess that's what I was asking...

it's a good question

the XFL is on far more stable footing financially than the AAF

Vince from the WWE funds it using that stock (it's a 50 dollar stock on NYSE) and has committed $500 Mil over 3 seasons. 

the XFL has network agreements, AAF had only cable TNT or whatever after week 1. XFL also have gambling deal with Draft Kings. 

it really does all come down to the TV situation... but to answer your question Vince (2.1 Bil) has it to lose. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Yeah, I can see how a league where the players have no bargaining rights, and have to conform to your particular values would be appealing. I don't blame you for hoping they take that to another level, after all you're the person investing the time to watch them play.

It would be even cooler if the league could deal with any "off field" issues in as draconian a manner as you and the owners would like. That's what's wrong with society, and especially the NFL these days... people have way too many rights. Pro football players and those stupid CBAs are a perfect example of what's ruining everything for us.

=D>=D>=D>=D>

Interesting take.  Nothing like painting with such wildly broad strokes.  

Perhaps what we really need is a society that abandons all remaining virtues.  No one should feel grateful or count themselves as fortunate.  If you don't have everything that Hollywood and the mass media suggests that you should have, including great material wealth and a glamours life, you should be entitled to inflict yourself on anyone anyway that you see fit.  Why have any order, law or values ??? They just get in the way... 

• WTF? 1

22 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Interesting take.  Nothing like painting with such wildly broad strokes.  

Perhaps what we really need is a society that abandons all remaining virtues.  No one should feel grateful or count themselves as fortunate.  If you don't have everything that Hollywood and the mass media suggests that you should have, including great material wealth and a glamours life, you should be entitled to inflict yourself on anyone anyway that you see fit.  Why have any order, law or values ??? They just get in the way... 

Wow. That's your view of society, huh?

Lighten up my friend, go out and enjoy yourself a bit. It's not that bad out there. Or maybe just not worry what Hollywood suggests, and/or the segment of mass media that bothers you is saying so much? 

When it gets to the point where you're comparing the moral values of two football leagues, you've gotten out over your skis just a bit...

36 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

=D>=D>=D>=D>

I mean jeez, I'm a white baby boomer, pretty conservative, and pretty good financially, and even I cringed reading that. LOL

Have you taken any trips to your local nail salon to get a pedicure and manicure lately? ::evil:

17 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Or maybe just not worry what Hollywood suggests, and/or the segment of mass media that bothers you is saying so much? 

When it gets to the point where you're comparing the moral values of two football leagues, you're getting out over your skis just a bit...

My point, QED.  Such broad strokes will have us going "over our skis" given the possible interpretations.  I was talking about the qualities of an entertainment product.  

9 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Have you taken any trips to your local nail salon to get a pedicure and manicure lately? ::evil:

LMAO

If I remember correctly, you're the guy doing that "tag a long" in order to keep that flame going. (but to answer your question, only when I'm on Long Island. It's not looked at quite the same way here down South).

btw, mani's only ? you and Rex are the foot guys.

..and what's going on with our Cuse? It looks like we might not even get into the NIT. ffs

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I would like it a lot better if they also had an extra point kicking option.  Not a chip shot like the NFL, but a single point from 40 yards out.  An actual challenge of sorts... 

It seems to me given the failure rate of 1 point attempts the better option would be to go for 3 pointer every time no matter what.

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

LMAO

If I remember correctly, you're the guy doing that "tag a long" in order to keep that flame going. (but to answer your question, only when I'm on Long Island. It's not looked at quite the same way here down South).

btw, mani's only ? you and Rex are the foot guys.

..and what's going on with our Cuse? It looks like we might not even get into the NIT. ffs

I love getting the pedicure and manicure. I go once a month now. Those hot towels they use to wrap around your legs feel amazing. It's adding years to my life. lol

As for our Cuse, it's been a rough and humbling year. We've had some really close losses, but let's be honest, Syracuse is mediocre team this season that lacks depth. When their starters get in foul trouble it usually puts them in a hole. Hopefully the freshman getting pt will pay dividends for next season.

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I love getting the pedicure and manicure. I go once a month now. Those hot towels they use to wrap around your legs feel amazing. It's adding years to my life. lol

As for our Cuse, it's been a rough and humbling year. We've had some really close losses, but let's be honest, Syracuse is mediocre team this season that lacks depth. When their starters get in foul trouble it usually puts them in a hole. Hopefully the freshman getting pt will pay dividends for next season.

Seems like we haven't had depth for years, and when we did, Boeheim would only go 7 deep anyway.

We need a big guy next year also. Have you guys up there heard anything yet about next years recruits?

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

the league needs a legit minor league. There are hundreds of dudes who can play, but if you aren't good right away or have bad injury luck it's like one chance and you're done. 

Totally agree. 

I think this is especially true at the skill positions - we basically see this anytime a third string running back or WR comes in and plays well for an NFL team. 

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Seems like we haven't had depth for years, and when we did, Boeheim would only go 7 deep anyway.

We need a big guy next year also. Have you guys up there heard anything yet about next years recruits?

We have a 6 foot 8 forward Woody Newton and a 6 foot 5 guard Kadary Richmond coming in next season. Both are 4 star prospects. Syracuse is hoping to add a transfer at the center position, 6 foot 10, 232 pound, Patrick Tape from Columbia. I hope we can get him. Our competition for him is Ohio State, USC, and Maryland.

Here is a LINK from Syracuse.com to read about the bigger recruiting classes in 2021 and 2022...most notable Dior Johnson. 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

so yeah

This is definitely a product that tv networks will want to broadcast. The ratings did drop, But in comparison to some other major sports the xfl is doing pretty well.

The games last week had higher ratings than any college basketball game or NHL game.  And outside of the all Star game xfl has has stronger numbers than the NBA.  Saturdays xfl games were the two most watched events of the day

These 2 tweets below show local market ratings  which I find interesting. More people in NYC watched the guardians than the Knicks or rangers

9 hours ago, bitonti said:

It is so true, I have always thought this a guy gets drafted in the 5th round has a bad camp. Maybe he quietly battles an injury. He gets cut and that's it in a lot of cases. A lot of these guys are 22 years old and maybe at 23 or 24 they are in better shape or just mature. Either way I have always thought the league was very unforgiving and people just washed away too soon in many cases.

If the XFL becomes a developmental league there is nothing wrong with that.

• Upvote 3

Minor league football would be wonderful. Fun for the serious fan, vehicle for QB development, etc. However, in practicality, it doesn't work and is way too costly. Anybody still standing that remembers the Bridgeport Jets, Westchester Bulls or Hartford Charter Oaks? Used to be on TV Saturday nights. Hardly any of them ever played in the NFL. 

Well here's to Jim "King" Corcoran then. Good training camp fodder until the real players showed up. 

I lasted about a half a weekend with this league. Could care less with baseball on TV starting Saturday. However, 90 yr old Dad loves this, watches all 4 games each weekend on has all sorts of opinions and reports on various players. Different stokes, huh?

7 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Minor league football would be wonderful. Fun for the serious fan, vehicle for QB development, etc. However, in practicality, it doesn't work and is way too costly. Anybody still standing that remembers the Bridgeport Jets, Westchester Bulls or Hartford Charter Oaks? Used to be on TV Saturday nights. Hardly any of them ever played in the NFL. 

Well here's to Jim "King" Corcoran then. Good training camp fodder until the real players showed up. 

I lasted about a half a weekend with this league. Could care less with baseball on TV starting Saturday. However, 90 yr old Dad loves this, watches all 4 games each weekend on has all sorts of opinions and reports on various players. Different stokes, huh?

LOL

My dad is the same exact age. He likes the XFL also, but with one caveat. Nothing takes precedence over his 3 hour nap. The man is on an iron clad schedule. Up at 6, nap from 1230 to 3, then up until 11.

I’m as pumped for baseball as you are. Already excited for tomorrow (what’s wrong with me?) but my dad would rather watch a 60 year old movie for the 20th time then a baseball game, unless it’s the World Series.

btw I called my cable company down here this week to order the MLB package. The woman I spoke with said, “oh yes, you’re the Mets fan... I was wondering when you would be calling...” 

The Myrtle Beach area is a lot of things, but it’s not NY, that’s for sure. ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

LOL

My dad is the same exact age. He likes the XFL also, but with one caveat. Nothing takes precedence over his 3 hour nap. The man is on an iron clad schedule. Up at 6, nap from 1230 to 3, then up until 11.

I’m as pumped for baseball as you are. Already excited for tomorrow (what’s wrong with me?) but my dad would rather watch a 60 year old movie for the 20th time then a baseball game, unless it’s the World Series.

btw I called my cable company down here this week to order the MLB package. The woman I spoke with said, “oh yes, you’re the Mets fan... I was wondering when you would be calling...” 

The Myrtle Beach area is a lot of things, but it’s not NY, that’s for sure. ?

gotta love that !

11 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

This is definitely a product that tv networks will want to broadcast. The ratings did drop, But in comparison to some other major sports the xfl is doing pretty well.

The games last week had higher ratings than any college basketball game or NHL game.  And outside of the all Star game xfl has has stronger numbers than the NBA.  Saturdays xfl games were the two most watched events of the day

These 2 tweets below show local market ratings  which I find interesting. More people in NYC watched the guardians than the Knicks or rangers

If that holds, the XFL is a good long term bet. Small sample, but a decent one so far.